Start by marking “Four Legs in the Morning (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #9)” as Want to Read:
Four Legs in the Morning (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #9)

Four Legs in the Morning (Cemetery Dance Signature #9)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Librarian's Note: Alternate Edition:
isbn: 1587672588 isbn 13: 9781587672583

Signature Series Book 9

Dr. Sibley, long-standing Chair of the English and Classical Literature Department at Graysonville University, has outlasted many of his detractors. In this collection of three linked stories, mysterious consequences await those who defy or disappoint him.
Hardcover, Signed Numbered Limited Edition of 550 copies, 107 pages
Published 2011 by Cemetery Dance Publications

To ask other readers questions about Four Legs in the Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Legs in the Morning

Karl
Apr 15, 2015 Karl rated it really liked it
The book consists of three short stories tied together with a unifying theme. The author calls the stories curiosity's.

The Stories are:

Curiosity #1 page 7 - "Four Legs In the Morning"
Curiosity #2 page 37 - "Flannel Board"
Curiosity #3 page 73 - "The Mask of Tragedies"

The stories all take place in Grasonville University and revolve around a gentleman named Dr. Sibley, the head Chair of the English and Classical Literature department. The three stories concern others at the college who have unfort
Benjamin Ethridge
I wasn't certain how this collection would play out at first. I mean, Norman Prentiss is one of the best horror writers I have come across in recent years, but sometimes the material doesn't lend itself to a thrilling reading experience. Academia? Scary? Well, although I've gone down the hallowed halls of greater learning insitutions in my day and enjoyed lectures and theories and deconstruction of prose and poety, I wasn't so sure if that setting would make for great horror. I say this because ...more
Charles
Dec 07, 2015 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed these stories immensely, but part of the appeal for me may come from my memories of the author. Back when I was a neurotic Southern Baptist college student at a northeast Alabama university, I took a couple of classes taught by Norman Prentiss. Those classes were my first introduction to Kafka, Sartre and Vonnegut, among others, and while teaching them Dr. Prentiss distinguished himself from other English professors because he seemed to be genuinely having fun teaching the material.

I g
Gef
Mar 07, 2013 Gef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, horror
Four Legs in the Morning is a collection of three short stories, and I knew this ahead of time, yet there was some silly piece of my brain that was looking for the fourth story on account of the title. The title says Four, so why aren't there four? Despite the completely irrational sense that I'd been denied a story, the three I did read were a treat.

While each story is different, they each revolve around a university professor named Dr. Bennett Sibley. Sibley is a mild-mannered and seemingly we
Benjamin Uminsky
Norman Prentiss is rapidly becoming one of my favorite contemporary authors, especially with works like his INVISIBLE FENCES and now with FOUR LEGS IN THE MORNING.

Here we have a unique collection of three tales that are linked by a single central figure, Dr. Bennet Sibley, head over the Graysonville University's English/Classics Department.

Sibley is cast in a very dark and ominous shadow. Through these three interlocking tales, Prentiss develops a slow build of muted dread and menace around this
Hunter Shea
Oct 07, 2012 Hunter Shea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all the up and coming horror writers out there, Norman Prentiss stands alone as a master wordsmith and crafter of dark prose that captures your soul. Four Legs in the Morninig is a series of interconnected stories, starting off with the great riddle of the Sphinx and one professor's eerie stay at a remote cabin. Prentiss has an uncanny knack for building suspsense while telling an emotionally intricate tale that keeps you on your toes. If the story telling in Flannel Board doesn't have your h ...more
Scott
Feb 20, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This small collection contains three stories centered around the character of Dr. Bennett Sibley, a university literature professor. Despite remaining in the background for the most part, and never doing anything particularly threatening, Sibley is a sinister presence that permeates all three tales. I can't really explain how Prentiss does this, but somehow it works.

The title story involves a fellow professor taking a working vacation in a cabin owned by Sibley. He finds strange items around th
Mike Kazmierczak
I'm not sure how I feel about books by Norman Prentiss. Well, technically this was a collection of stories, all revolving around Dr. Sibley, the Chair of English and Classical Literature at Graysonville University. But I'm still not sure how I feel about the works of Prentiss. They have all the characteristics that should lead to really good stories but for whatever reason, I haven't been pulled into them as much as I would like.

In the case of FOUR LEGS IN THE MORNING: THE COLLECTION, there are
Donald
Jun 26, 2011 Donald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cemetery-dance, 2011
This Advance Uncorrected Proof is part of the Cemetery Dance Early Readers Club 3.0

The three stories in this collection cameo interactions with Dr. Bennet Sibley, long standing Chair of the English and Classical Literature Department at Graysonville University. Rather than dealing with Dr. Sibley directly, the author tells of him throught the actions and interactions with others.

Dr. Sibley has an uncanny knack for appearing intimidating with utter and complete calm. You get the idea that nothin
Kevin Lucia
Aug 25, 2011 Kevin Lucia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Reviewers have compared Norman Prentiss to the late Charles Grant, but he's so much more than just an imitator. A superb stylist in his own right, Norman is marking out a place of his very own in genre fiction. Four Legs in the Morning is quiet, haunting, and as Prentiss dangles unknowable secrets just beyond our reach (which may be for the best), we wait anxiously for a new morning after the long, quiet night. And even if that morning never comes, we wait for it still, in breathless anticipati ...more
Phil Zimmerman
Four Legs in the Morning - The first short story is just as weird as I would expect from Prentiss. The premise of Oedeipus is fun and the research around Greek theater is interesting. Like most Prentiss tale is goes most of the way through the story just setting things up. The finale is odd but intriguing.

Flannel Board - The descriptions of the flannel board took me right back to Sunday School class. Something I have not thought about in a long time. A good story, did the student get in his own
George Wilhite
Jun 15, 2012 George Wilhite rated it really liked it
These Sibley stories are now available on ebook which is where I actually read this one. Looking forward to reading the rest of them. Very well written in a classic style, with hints of Lovecraft.
Erath Juarez
Sep 15, 2013 Erath Juarez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excelentes 3 relatos de horror, una vez que empecé a leer me quedé enganchado hasta terminarlos. Me encantó el estilo de este nuevo autor, espero hacerme de alguna de sus novelas.
Carl
Mar 05, 2012 Carl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Creepy supernatural horror in the hallowed halls of academia!
Victor
Nov 30, 2015 Victor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We all had that one professor who intimidated us, made us feel small, caused us to believe we weren't worthy. (For me it was a broken down old chemistry prof with a bum arm who made it a habit to insult his students with every breath.) At Graysonville State University in Graysonville, Alabama, that man is Classics professor Bennet Sibley.

Sibley exerts a strange power over his students, his peers, and the administrators of GSU. Those who cross him, who challenge his most cherished ideas, meet a
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Leia
Leia marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Wood Dickinson
Wood Dickinson rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Chet Williamson
Chet Williamson marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Matt Andrew
Matt Andrew marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Mike
Mike added it
Jul 23, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Sid Stiles
Sid Stiles rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Lee Thompson
Lee Thompson marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Patrickmalka
Patrickmalka marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
BungleGrind
BungleGrind rated it did not like it
Feb 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Cemetery Dance Signature (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Looking Glass (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #1)
  • Windows (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #2)
  • The Baby (Cementery Dance Signature Series, #3)
  • Butterfly (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #4)
  • The Forum
  • Peregrine's Tale (Includes: Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #6; The Turtle Boy #4)
  • Scratch (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #7)
  • The Miniaturist (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #8)
  • Dueling Minds (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #5)
  • Homestead