Start by marking “The Star Trek Encyclopedia” as Want to Read:
The Star Trek Encyclopedia

The Star Trek Encyclopedia

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,504 ratings  ·  52 reviews
From 'audet IX to Zytchin III, this book covers it all. This is the ultimate reference book for all Star Trek fans! Added to this edition are 128 new pages. This addendum highlights the latest episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager and the newest feature film, Star Trek: Insurrection.

The thousands of photos and hundreds of illustrations place the Star T
Published October 1st 1999 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Star Trek Encyclopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star Trek Encyclopedia

I Am Spock by Leonard NimoyI am Not Spock by Leonard NimoyStar Trek Memories by William ShatnerFrom Sawdust to Stardust by Terry Lee RiouxUp Till Now by William Shatner
Where No Man Has Gone Before
9th out of 20 books — 18 voters
The Stranger by Albert CamusThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryRabbit, Run by John UpdikeThe Military Support Group by Amanda SpringerAlice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Stars and Stripes
67th out of 163 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Cassie
Before the Internet, there was the Star Trek Encyclopedia. When the Apocalypse happens, Netflix fails us, and the internet finally goes down, I will be safe and happy and warm, knowing that I will still have my Star Trek Encyclopedia.
John Yelverton
One of the most amazing and knowledgeable books that I have ever read. It opened me up to so many aspects that I never knew about from my favorite TV series.
Amanda
Out shopping at the mall one night, my mother and I originally bought this for my father. Over dinner, I started flipping through it...I eventually read it, cover to cover. And thus I became a Trekker...
Andrew
Ok second to Star Wars I love star trek - I grew up on the next generation and the films - I missed the DS9 run (though I can assure you I am catching up) and Voyager I enjoyed but Janeway did annoy me at times. Anyway this is the revised version which has additional pages and entries to capture the new episodes (as of the time it was printed) The book is informative and well illustrated which at times has let down other star trek books I will admit. The book is like any other encyclopaedia - it ...more
Judity
I've been a Trekker since the original series aired in the 1960s and was lucky enough to meet many of the actors at various ST conventions. For anyone who enjoys any or all of the ST series, this encyclopedia is a MUST!
Ross
This is the One.
Anything & everything you wanted to know about Trek is in here.
Listed alphabetically, it's an easy reference for anything Trek.
Thick & hardbound, it's a must have for any fans bookshelf.
Gregory
This is the single most useful book EVER!
Wolcott
I have yet to find a better "bathroom book"
Sian Jackson
A reference book that every trek fan should own this is the upto date version i think , its full of detail about every trek alien human etc good to own . and i also own computer cd version which is great fun
Lisa (Harmonybites)
My copy is a "updated and expanded edition" published in 1999 and covers up "through the 1996-1997 production season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager. It does include the films up to Star Trek: Insurrection. It doesn't include the animated series. So by no means complete, it's nevertheless authoritative and exhaustive within those limits--far more informative than online references, and thus worthy of shelf space--at least for the die-hard fan, or writer of fan fiction or Sta ...more
George
Need new edition to include later Voyager episodes and all of Enterprise
Juan Carrillo
Love love love this book it needs an update
Martijn Hartman-maatman
All you ever wanted to know about ST and more...
Matthew Petroski
A must for any Trekkie
Norman Howe
Science-Fiction
Facedeer
I suppose an important caveat to my "I liked this" rating is that I liked this book back when it was published, in the days before Memory Alpha and other such fan-made wiki-based encyclopedias. This book has become rather obsolete since then. But it's still good that this book was published, and it's a nice thing to have on one's shelf. Like an old Encyclopedia Britannica or something.
Michael Arvizu
Jun 27, 2008 Michael Arvizu rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all "Star Trek" fans.
This is an excellent resource for any "Star Trek" fan.

Although yet to include the adventures of the "Star Trek: Enterprise" crew, this edition is updated to include everything that has to do with technology, culture, food, drink, attire ship design and more, from the original series the '60s to "Star Trek: Voyager."

The book also includes entries from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" to the latest incarnation, "Star Trek: Nemesis."
Gobnait
I did not read this book cover to cover. I did look up various entries for about a half an hour. This book is amazing. I do enjoy watching Star Trek. Now I am realizing how little I actually know about it. The familiar characters, locations, and items have detailed histories and backgrounds. This is a must have reference book for everyone from the casual viewer to the diehard fan.
Dan Contrino
Invaluable resource to anyone who reads or watches a lot of Star Trek. I refer to it constantly when reading a book which alludes to something unfamiliar. This is way faster and comprehensive than any Trek website or Wikipedia. Fantastic illustrations of every Trek space ship, uniform, weapon and logos. I have the edition that contains info through "Insurrection".
Steve Lighteell
Any Trekker would get a lot from this book, info. and trivia is packed on all the shows, and its interesting to find as read it about the stars, guest stars and names of planets etc how they were named Its a book that you can read anytime on any of the shows in the Star Trek Universe
Stephanie Pollard
I have the original edition, not this one, but it's a great resource. Do you remember Uhura's first name? Most people don't. You'd be surprised how many things you thought you knew about the Star Trek universe that aren't quite accurate.
Lafcadio
Jan 14, 2008 Lafcadio rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Colleen
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Richard
This book is amazing. It's arranged like an encyclopedia, with entries for characters, ships, planets, peoples, episodes, etc. One of my favorite episodes isn't in there, but I can hardly complain because the rest of it is so complete.
Keith Bowerman
An interesting collection of STAR TREK minutiae. Mostly useful if you find yourself in an argument over something like, I dunno...What ship was Robert Tracy captain of, and you don't happen to have wikipedia handy.
Daniel Kukwa
It's updated to the end of the DS9 era...and up to that point, it's the Star Trek bible to end all bibles. I can lose myself for HOURS in this book...sometimes just appreciating the magnificent artwork.
Tim Urso
I grew up watching Star Trek and my father gave the first edition of this book to me. I read it cover to cover in sixth grade. This totally heightened my knowledge of Star Trek and I am so happy I read it!
Bayley
A great reference to the Trek-verse, but I had the older edition and it did feel quite dated. Still, plenty of good information on everything and more you wanted to know about Star Trek.
Devero
L'unico difetto di questa enciclopedia è che si ferma alla seconda o terza stagione di STDSN. Vorrei l'edizione successiva, che arriva al termine di STVOY solo per il gusto di possederla.
Donna Parker
Am I drooling? This is just page after page of boom, fascinating Star Trek coolness. The only issue I have is it left me wanting even more, more, more, more!!!
Kreg
First version of the encyclopedia, doesn't include much of Voyager or beyond. Doesn't have every single bit of treknology, but a good resource regardless.
Star Trek 1 6 Aug 24, 2013 02:17AM
Where to start reading? 2 13 Aug 08, 2013 03:24AM
  • Star Trek The Next Generation: Technical Manual
  • The Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • Star Trek Star Charts: The Complete Atlas of Star Trek
  • Star Trek, Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise
  • The Klingon Dictionary
  • Where No One Has Gone Before: A History in Pictures (Star Trek: All)
  • Star Trek Compendium Rev/Ed
  • Deep Space Nine Companion (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers
  • The World of Star Trek
  • All Good Things...
  • Q-Squared
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Ships of the Line
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • The Making Of Star Trek
  • Spock's World
The Star Trek Chronology: A History of the Future The Star Trek Sticker Book Star Trek: The Next Generation: On Board the U.S.S. Enterprise The 24th Century Technical Manual Volume 2 The 24th Century Technical Manual Volume 1