Start by marking “The Star Trek Encyclopedia” as Want to Read:
The Star Trek Encyclopedia

The Star Trek Encyclopedia

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,693 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
From 'audet IX to Zytchin III, this book covers it all. This is the ultimate reference book for all Star Trek fans! Added to this edition are 128 new pages. This addendum highlights the latest episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Voyager and the newest feature film, Star Trek: Insurrection.

The thousands of photos and hundreds of illustrations place the Star T
Published October 1st 1999 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Star Trek Encyclopedia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star Trek Encyclopedia

I Am Spock by Leonard NimoyI am Not Spock by Leonard NimoyUp Till Now by William ShatnerStar Trek Memories by William ShatnerFrom Sawdust to Stardust by Terry Lee Rioux
Where No Man Has Gone Before
8th out of 21 books — 21 voters
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryThe Stranger by Albert CamusAlice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollRabbit, Run by John UpdikeThe Military Support Group by Amanda Springer
Stars and Stripes
71st out of 182 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Cassie
Apr 19, 2013 Cassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before the Internet, there was the Star Trek Encyclopedia. When the Apocalypse happens, Netflix fails us, and the internet finally goes down, I will be safe and happy and warm, knowing that I will still have my Star Trek Encyclopedia.
John Yelverton
Dec 16, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
One of the most amazing and knowledgeable books that I have ever read. It opened me up to so many aspects that I never knew about from my favorite TV series.
Amanda
Jan 14, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out shopping at the mall one night, my mother and I originally bought this for my father. Over dinner, I started flipping through it...I eventually read it, cover to cover. And thus I became a Trekker...
Wolcott
Jul 31, 2010 Wolcott rated it it was amazing
I have yet to find a better "bathroom book"
Andrew
Aug 01, 2014 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok second to Star Wars I love star trek - I grew up on the next generation and the films - I missed the DS9 run (though I can assure you I am catching up) and Voyager I enjoyed but Janeway did annoy me at times. Anyway this is the revised version which has additional pages and entries to capture the new episodes (as of the time it was printed) The book is informative and well illustrated which at times has let down other star trek books I will admit. The book is like any other encyclopaedia - it ...more
Judity
Aug 26, 2012 Judity rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I've been a Trekker since the original series aired in the 1960s and was lucky enough to meet many of the actors at various ST conventions. For anyone who enjoys any or all of the ST series, this encyclopedia is a MUST!
Ross
Mar 01, 2009 Ross rated it it was amazing
This is the One.
Anything & everything you wanted to know about Trek is in here.
Listed alphabetically, it's an easy reference for anything Trek.
Thick & hardbound, it's a must have for any fans bookshelf.
Gregory
May 15, 2009 Gregory rated it it was amazing
This is the single most useful book EVER!
Mistress Harley
Nov 27, 2015 Mistress Harley rated it it was amazing
It helpful when watching the show to have a non web based reference to settle drunken star trek arguments. Often my girlfriend and I will be drinking wine and start fighting about the transporter or some such a thing and so we can go back to making out we crack open this book. I've read it so many times that I finally just started reading it like a normal book. Quite the read, but better than getting lost on wikipedia all day. Plenty of stuff never made it on the shows too. Every home should hav ...more
Sian Jackson
Oct 28, 2014 Sian Jackson rated it it was amazing
A reference book that every trek fan should own this is the upto date version i think , its full of detail about every trek alien human etc good to own . and i also own computer cd version which is great fun
Jdetrick
Normally I find these encyclopedias boring, but this one has a sense of humor and some behind the scenes trivia as well that really makes it a cut above others of its ilk.
Lisa (Harmonybites)
My copy is a "updated and expanded edition" published in 1999 and covers up "through the 1996-1997 production season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager. It does include the films up to Star Trek: Insurrection. It doesn't include the animated series. So by no means complete, it's nevertheless authoritative and exhaustive within those limits--far more informative than online references, and thus worthy of shelf space--at least for the die-hard fan, or writer of fan fiction or Sta ...more
George
Jan 22, 2015 George rated it really liked it
Need new edition to include later Voyager episodes and all of Enterprise
Juan Carrillo
Jul 03, 2014 Juan Carrillo rated it it was amazing
Love love love this book it needs an update
Martijn Hartman-maatman
Apr 16, 2014 Martijn Hartman-maatman rated it it was amazing
All you ever wanted to know about ST and more...
Sharyn
A must for Trekkies/Trekkers!
Matthew Petroski
Apr 08, 2014 Matthew Petroski rated it really liked it
A must for any Trekkie
Norman Howe
Science-Fiction
Facedeer
Jul 14, 2014 Facedeer rated it liked it
I suppose an important caveat to my "I liked this" rating is that I liked this book back when it was published, in the days before Memory Alpha and other such fan-made wiki-based encyclopedias. This book has become rather obsolete since then. But it's still good that this book was published, and it's a nice thing to have on one's shelf. Like an old Encyclopedia Britannica or something.
Michael Arvizu
Jun 27, 2008 Michael Arvizu rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all "Star Trek" fans.
This is an excellent resource for any "Star Trek" fan.

Although yet to include the adventures of the "Star Trek: Enterprise" crew, this edition is updated to include everything that has to do with technology, culture, food, drink, attire ship design and more, from the original series the '60s to "Star Trek: Voyager."

The book also includes entries from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" to the latest incarnation, "Star Trek: Nemesis."
Schreck
Mar 19, 2016 Schreck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkers
This book brought my Star Trek obsession to new levels and before the internet this is where I derived all of my Trek knowledge. I would watch an episode and then read every entry I could find concerning said episode. I don't look at it too much anymore because it is incomplete and Memory Alpha is a far better resource, but I still get floods of nostalgia every once and awhile, open this one up, and immerse myself for hours.
Autumn
Jul 05, 2011 Autumn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not read this book cover to cover. I did look up various entries for about a half an hour. This book is amazing. I do enjoy watching Star Trek. Now I am realizing how little I actually know about it. The familiar characters, locations, and items have detailed histories and backgrounds. This is a must have reference book for everyone from the casual viewer to the diehard fan.
Dan Contrino
Feb 18, 2013 Dan Contrino rated it it was amazing
Invaluable resource to anyone who reads or watches a lot of Star Trek. I refer to it constantly when reading a book which alludes to something unfamiliar. This is way faster and comprehensive than any Trek website or Wikipedia. Fantastic illustrations of every Trek space ship, uniform, weapon and logos. I have the edition that contains info through "Insurrection".
Steve Lighteell
Sep 29, 2008 Steve Lighteell rated it it was amazing
Any Trekker would get a lot from this book, info. and trivia is packed on all the shows, and its interesting to find as read it about the stars, guest stars and names of planets etc how they were named Its a book that you can read anytime on any of the shows in the Star Trek Universe
Stephanie Pollard
Sep 02, 2008 Stephanie Pollard rated it really liked it
I have the original edition, not this one, but it's a great resource. Do you remember Uhura's first name? Most people don't. You'd be surprised how many things you thought you knew about the Star Trek universe that aren't quite accurate.
Lafcadio
Jan 14, 2008 Lafcadio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Colleen
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Richard
This book is amazing. It's arranged like an encyclopedia, with entries for characters, ships, planets, peoples, episodes, etc. One of my favorite episodes isn't in there, but I can hardly complain because the rest of it is so complete.
Keith Bowerman
Oct 06, 2012 Keith Bowerman rated it it was amazing
An interesting collection of STAR TREK minutiae. Mostly useful if you find yourself in an argument over something like, I dunno...What ship was Robert Tracy captain of, and you don't happen to have wikipedia handy.
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 29, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek
It's updated to the end of the DS9 era...and up to that point, it's the Star Trek bible to end all bibles. I can lose myself for HOURS in this book...sometimes just appreciating the magnificent artwork.
Tim Urso
Feb 11, 2013 Tim Urso rated it it was amazing
I grew up watching Star Trek and my father gave the first edition of this book to me. I read it cover to cover in sixth grade. This totally heightened my knowledge of Star Trek and I am so happy I read it!
Bayley
Jul 27, 2009 Bayley rated it really liked it
A great reference to the Trek-verse, but I had the older edition and it did feel quite dated. Still, plenty of good information on everything and more you wanted to know about Star Trek.
Star Trek 1 6 Aug 24, 2013 02:17AM
Where to start reading? 2 14 Aug 08, 2013 03:24AM
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation - Technical Manual
  • The Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • Star Trek Star Charts: The Complete Atlas of Star Trek
  • Star Trek Compendium Rev/Ed
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers
  • Where No One Has Gone Before: A History in Pictures (Star Trek: All)
  • Star Trek: Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise
  • The Klingon Dictionary
  • Deep Space Nine Companion (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The World of Star Trek
  • All Good Things...
  • Q-Squared
  • Ships of the Line
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Dark Mirror