Start by marking “Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)” as Want to Read:
Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)

Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  423 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
A compendium containing three full novels set set in the mirror Universe..

There are moments glimpsed only in shadow,
where darkness rules and evil incarnate thrives.
You hope against hope that in your lifetime,
evil is relegated to the shadows.
But what if it wasn't?
What if you lived in a universe where your life was measured only
by what you could do for
Published February 20th 2007 by Star Trek (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Glass Empires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glass Empires

Terence
May 09, 2010 Terence rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Conditional: Recommend Mack's contribution (book 2)
Recommended to Terence by: It's the Mirror Universe
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
It's been close to 2 decades since I've done any serious reading of any Star Trek novels. The box in Mom's basement was full of TOS novels and a few TNGs but I had passed on to other things before the genre had become the cottage industry it is now.*

On a whim, I wikied "star trek novels" and got an entry that printed out at 40 pages. Up through the early '80s most of the titles were familiar, and many had been read; after that it was pretty much terra incognita; a final frontier where this man
Wendy
Oct 13, 2009 Wendy rated it liked it
Of the three short stories in this book, the middle one is the best and gets the three stars. The other two stories are completely forgettable and read like mediocre fan fiction.

I thought maybe I couldn't get into the first because it's an Enterprise story, and I've never been a fan, but really the plot is ludicrous and there is no backstory for those who didn't see the episodes that provide the jumping off point.

The Picard story has him acting in ways that don't make sense for the character (I
Tarl
Jul 20, 2013 Tarl rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I admit it, I am a fan of the Mirror, Mirror universe of Star Trek. Where one reviewer stated that they found this world to be depressing when compared to the original Star Trek universe, I personally find that it tells more about mankind. The character struggles and interactions are far more interesting and dynamic than the standard Trek universe where everything is provided for the characters.

So when it came to finding all the written material that took place in the alternative reality of Sta
John Kirk
Oct 11, 2014 John Kirk rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
These stories are consistent with all of the TV episodes, but not with any of the previously published "mirror universe" novels. (They're implicitly consistent with the DS9 relaunch novels, but that remains to be proven.)

There are three stories in this anthology: I hated the Enterprise one, loved the TOS one, and thought that the TNG one was ok. The TOS one has now been expanded into a full length novel: The Sorrows of Empire. I haven't read it yet, but my advice is to buy/read that book instead
Alex
Aug 19, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, star-trek
This series of books seems to be built like a collection of short stories, each of them set in a certain era and with the known characters from the Star Trek universe.

The first story of this book, Age of the Empress, picks up where the episode "In a mirror, darkly" ended, with newly self-appointed Empress Sato assuming control and reigning over the Terran Empire.
The story is centered on the struggle of the Empire to crush the resistance movement. Lots of space battles (though I didn't enjoy th
Harvey Meeker
Mar 16, 2015 Harvey Meeker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun take expanding on the Mirror Universe continuity

This is an amusing start at filling out the alternate Star Trek continuity described first in the TOS episode Mirror Mirror. The stories contain numerous call outs to the actual Star Trek continuity and in keeping with the theme of the original episode tend to have the same characters only viewed through a dark mirror. I found the whole thing an easy read and very entertaining.
Angela
Three interconnecting stories set in the mirror universe. The first is set after Hoshi takes control of the Enterprise, and looks at her climb to power. The 2nd looks at how Spock destroyed the Empire. The 3rd looks at Picard as a treasure hunter who finds the borg. Each story feels like it could have been a full novel in its own right. It was nice to see who Picard would be in the mirror universe. A good read.
Jimyanni
Dec 27, 2009 Jimyanni rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
In general, I find the "Mirror Universe" books to be somewhat depressing, given that they are set in a world that is so different from the normal Star Trek universe, one in which characters that we respect and admire in the usual Star Trek universe are vile and despicable. But two of the three stories in this book actually manage to be somewhat upbeat, quite a trick for this universe. Given that the stories were well-written, that managed to make the book a fairly enjoyable experience.
Steve
This book contains three short stories from Enterprise, TOS and TNG mirror universes. I found the first story to be somewhat forgettable, but still enjoyable. The second story blew me away at just how neatly it linked together the mirror universe episode from TOS to the number of them that occurred on Deep Space 9, and I found the third story quite enjoyable for a series that never traveled to the mirror universe. The climaxes for all three stories were rather brilliant.
Trae Brookins
Nov 26, 2013 Trae Brookins rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Super geeky fun. The first stories were the most entertaining, picking up as they did on the Mirror, Mirror episodes of Enterprise and Star Trek TOS. They were also the better written of the three. The 3rd STTNG-based story was notably the weakest but, again, afforded considerable amusement.
Becca
Aug 13, 2008 Becca rated it it was ok
There are three separate stories here. The first one, regarding Hoshi Sato, is more palatable than Enterprise ever was as a series--not that that's saying terribly much. The middle one, regarding Spock, is the most interesting. The final one, regarding Picard, is decidedly lame.
Justin
May 05, 2014 Justin rated it liked it
First and third novellas were pretty good, about Empress Sato and Picard respectively, but thought the middle novella about Spock was very slow.
Nicole
Dec 19, 2007 Nicole rated it liked it
went into this without much knowledge of ST: Enterprise and found the first story very confusing because of it - it had no "these events take place between / after" bit in it. Did enjoy the Enterprise story though.
Liked the Picard story, and loved the Spock story.
Daniel Johnston
May 01, 2016 Daniel Johnston rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Took a bit to get into the first short story but once it set the groundwork for the second things really started to take off. With so few stories set in the alternate universe it gives the writers far more room to create stories which I can appreciate.
Colin
Sep 05, 2008 Colin rated it liked it
The Enterprise era story was amazing! The one about Emperor Spock was perfect! The one about Jean-Luc Picard was a slight letdown. After all the dialectic in the previous stories, to make the decisions they did with the third story kind of dashed my hopes.
Dove Harbour
Mar 27, 2012 Dove Harbour rated it liked it
I found all three stories enjoyable, although Spock's definately stood out. The only criticism I have is in the last story I sometimes found the references to The Next Genereration to be a little bit in your face.
N.M. Gillson
Nov 25, 2011 N.M. Gillson rated it really liked it
Interesting way of looking at the Startrek universe, linking several different aspects of what we know from the canon episodes. A good read, though slow in some areas.
Horst Gutmann
Jun 30, 2008 Horst Gutmann rated it really liked it
Shelves: startrek, scifi
My review can be found here.
Gene
Oct 27, 2013 Gene rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Very enjoyable - three interconnecting stories that build off of the Mirror Universe episodes. Very interesting.
Steven Vore
Jan 21, 2012 Steven Vore rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
Three Star Trek novels in one book: Age of the Empress, The Sorrows of Empire, and The Worst of Both Worlds.
Amanda
Jul 05, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek-own
I especially liked the second story since it explained what happened after "Mirror, Mirror".
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing
Again, LOVE the mirror universe.
Knowan Attall
Knowan Attall rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Martina Wilkinson
Martina Wilkinson marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
MIkhahel Drechsler
MIkhahel Drechsler marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Erin
Erin is currently reading it
Jun 11, 2016
Sabrina Reiger
Sabrina Reiger rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Mariam aka MiMi
Mariam aka MiMi marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
  • Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe)
  • Infinity's Prism (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #1)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds IV
  • Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #1)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Echoes and Refractions (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #2)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Shattered Light (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #3)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)

Star Trek: Mirror Universe (3 books)
  • Star Trek: Mirror Universe: Obsidian Alliances
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe)