Start by marking “The Devil's Concubine” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Concubine

The Devil's Concubine

A few hours before her execution a woman narrates, in a fascinating confession to her priest, the story of her passionate love for a fallen angel. A story that plunges us into a world of terror from its beginning in 1212, during the French crusades, until its present-day ending. Through sensual and mysterious characters and settings, the protagonist reveals the amazing eve ...more
Published December 5th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Concubine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Concubine

Melinda
This book took me totally by surprise. The narrator is a woman in prison, waiting for the death penalty, making her last confession to a priest. She was clearly Catholic, though she has a worldly nature that makes the priest uncomfortable. She tells the priest the story of her life, which started in the year 1212 in Angers,France, even though it is now present day. As the story goes on from there, you worry that the woman won't be believed; as she describes slaughter in the name of God, the Chil ...more
Lacey
A very detailed and well written story about a woman who falls in love with a fallen angel. As well written as the story was it was a slow read for me. I think the hardest part I had was that although the author was very precise and told exactly what the main character thought and experienced it was hard to relate to her. She is disdainful of other humans and feels like she never really understands them or their motivations. It makes it kind of hard to want to understand someone who hardly inter ...more
Kari Metzger
Jan 31, 2012 Kari Metzger rated it liked it
This was a Goodreads First Reads giveaway book.

Interesting concept for the book - it was not a romance really, although both the cover and cover art would really have you think so. It's much more a paranormal horror story imho - although with a unique, well-thought out premise. I think it could have been edited down to half of the length, as I found that the general storyline of horror of what Cannat could do and the love Cannat and Shallem had for each other and disregard for humans was redrawn
Aubrey Porter
Dec 28, 2015 Aubrey Porter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: put-it-down
I found the idea of the story intriguing, but the way it was written was awkward. I pushed through 70% of it. I wanted to give it a fair shot so I kept reading. There are grammatical errors throughout and there are even a few instances where the narrator gets Shallem and Cannat mixed up, saying Cannat is with her when he is nowhere near and it is really Shallem. I continued reading, hoping for the story to pick up, but it never really did.
Mitzi
Dec 06, 2011 Mitzi rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
I couldn't really get thru this book. I read to page 100 and didn't enjoy it. It could be just the time of the year I was trying to read it, and the busy ness of my life at the moment, OR my mood. It is however very well written, I just didn't enjoy the story. The story starts in 1212 when a woman falls in love with a fallen angel.
Zoe
Mar 29, 2012 Zoe rated it did not like it
Unengaging story, childishly written, with some terrible grammatical errors. When I saw "should of" in a sentence instead of "should have", I was so horrified, I gave up. No-one with a half-decent education would have made a mistake like that, and any decent editor would have edited this out. Not worth my time or anybody else's.
Mirella
Fabulous writing, but got a little tedious. If the book was a bit shorter, it would have been better
Jamie Kane
Oct 14, 2015 Jamie Kane rated it it was amazing
A must-read if you enjoy romance and history. I couldn't put this book down. Some minor grammar errors but an entertaining story. You almost start thinking about the souls on earth....
Clarise Childers
Feb 07, 2017 Clarise Childers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must Read

Juliet and Shallem's love for one another it's something most of us wish for. I feel so sorry for the priest. OMG!!!!
Ana
Jul 31, 2012 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, religious
“The Devil’s Concubine” is the story of Juliette, a woman confessing to a priest her love affair with a fallen angel in the wake of her execution.

It was a very interesting read. Even though some passages were difficult to understand or made little sense (may be due to the fact that the original book was written in Spanish and some of its essence got lost in translation), the book will stay with and you’ll lie awake at night thinking about this story long after you’ve finished reading it.

One of t
Mary Hartshorn
Jul 13, 2015 Mary Hartshorn rated it really liked it
I was not really anticipating much from this book, but I have to say that it was better than I thought it would be.

Imagine if you were a priest whom I wanted to confess my sins to, and tell my life story would you be willing to listen? What if I told you that the body I am in is not my own and that I am in fact about to share a complicated confession of my love/hate relationship with not one but two fallen angels over a period of a few hundred years, would you think I was insane? Maybe, maybe n
Tammy
May 07, 2012 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-a-copy

I want to actually go 3.5 stars. What a thought-provoking story. My biggest complaint is with spelling and some grammatical errors. It makes we wonder who (if anyone) bothered to edit this story...what a disservice to be distracted by improper word usage (taught instead of taut for example). This story did keep me very involved though. I would definitely recommend to others.
G
Aug 29, 2012 G rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library
I liked it, this book was not what i expected. I'm not sure how i feel about it. Over all i gave a 3 star rating becuase of the end. it wasn't a bad ending it was just. The story was well written and very disriptive. The ending is the only issue i had. other than that i am please to have this additon to my library.
Kimberly Kline
Feb 24, 2013 Kimberly Kline rated it liked it
I loved the majority of this book. However, I eventually found myself skipping paragraphs as they seemed redundant (not a good sign!). The whole theme of "fallen angels" and their read on humanity is interesting.
Jessica
Jul 05, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
This author reminds me of Anne Rice with slightly less descriptive writing. I liked the story and the character's and felt glad to have a book finish without leading me into 2 more novels...so sick of trilogies.
Steph
May 07, 2012 Steph rated it liked it
This made for a decent story and was equally thought provoking. I enjoyed it most for the ideas it proposed regarding religion and human souls, yet perhaps a bit was lost in the translation as I commonly find with books that were originally written in another language.
Tovia
I give it 2 stars because the title is. so awesome but I could not finish this book, it was drawn out in the worse way.The most interesting part is the nephilim and their abilities.
Lorna
Aug 02, 2012 Lorna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rereading

I loved this book. I was expecting something completely different, yet I am grateful for the ending provided. I will most likely reread at some point.
Abigail Early
I couldn't put it down, it wasn't what I was at first expecting, it was so much better. I will definitely be re-reading this!
Eva Kristin
Jul 06, 2012 Eva Kristin rated it did not like it
I didn't finish this book. The idea and consept was interesting and had a lot of potential, but the quality of the writing was appaling.
Lisa
Jan 13, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Imaginative plot with interesting characters.
Liz
Aug 27, 2012 Liz rated it liked it
You have to approach the book with an open mind, but it is VERY thought provoking.
Aresa
Aresa rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Maryjean priore
Maryjean priore rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
Patty
Patty rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Drea
Drea rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Dorchelle Bains
Dorchelle Bains rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Robbie Ragbar
Robbie Ragbar rated it did not like it
May 31, 2016
Chio Duran
Chio Duran rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2013
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Pharaoh's Son
  • The Parthian (The Parthian Chronicles, #1)
  • House of Corruption
  • Strategos: Born in the Borderlands (Strategos, #1)
  • The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Volume Two (Miss Temple, Doctor Svenson, and Cardinal Chang #1.2)
  • The Fortunes of Captain Blood
  • Three John Silence Stories
  • Blood Rush (Demimonde, #2)
  • The Complete Moon Trilogy: The Moon Maid/The Moon Men/The Red Hawk
  • Brambleman
  • I Know Not (The Legacy of Fox Crow, #1)
  • Jade (Book of Deacon Sidequests, #1)
  • Elric
  • Victoria's Demon Lover
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
  • The Mortal Immortal: The Complete Supernatural Short Fiction of Mary Shelley
  • Bone Wires
  • Kings, Queens, Heroes, & Fools (The Wardstone Trilogy, #2)
I live (and I was born and grew up) in Madrid, Spain.
When I was younger I loved learning about different subjects and I studied History, Tourism and New Technologies in the University plus other minor courses.

Because I love traveling, when I write my characters use to travel a lot too, or live in interesting past times.

Most of all I love animals and I allways available to help to protect them.

I re
More about Ángeles Goyanes...

“Me limito a dar un aliciente a sus monótonos días, a sacarlos de la desidia de su existencia. Necesitan algo en qué creer, alguien a quien entregarse en cuerpo y alma, que les ahorre el trabajo de pensar y que gobierne sus vidas. Y yo, muy gustosamente, me ofrezco a ello. ¡A ellos les encanta que lo haga! ¿Qué crees que sería de ellos, criaturas incapaces, sin la guía y el consuelo de mi presencia?” 0 likes
“¿Quién puede desear la miel tras haber degustado el néctar de ambrosía?” 0 likes