Start by marking “The Devil's Concubine” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Concubine

The Devil's Concubine

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A few hours before her execution a woman narrates, in a fascinating confession to her priest, the story of her passionate love for a fallen angel. A story that plunges us into a world of terror from its beginning in 1212, during the French crusades, until its present-day ending. Through sensual and mysterious characters and settings, the protagonist reveals the amazing eve ...more
Published December 5th 2011 by Createspace (first published April 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Concubine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Concubine

Melinda
This book took me totally by surprise. The narrator is a woman in prison, waiting for the death penalty, making her last confession to a priest. She was clearly Catholic, though she has a worldly nature that makes the priest uncomfortable. She tells the priest the story of her life, which started in the year 1212 in Angers,France, even though it is now present day. As the story goes on from there, you worry that the woman won't be believed; as she describes slaughter in the name of God, the Chil ...more
Lacey
A very detailed and well written story about a woman who falls in love with a fallen angel. As well written as the story was it was a slow read for me. I think the hardest part I had was that although the author was very precise and told exactly what the main character thought and experienced it was hard to relate to her. She is disdainful of other humans and feels like she never really understands them or their motivations. It makes it kind of hard to want to understand someone who hardly inter ...more
Kari Metzger
This was a Goodreads First Reads giveaway book.

Interesting concept for the book - it was not a romance really, although both the cover and cover art would really have you think so. It's much more a paranormal horror story imho - although with a unique, well-thought out premise. I think it could have been edited down to half of the length, as I found that the general storyline of horror of what Cannat could do and the love Cannat and Shallem had for each other and disregard for humans was redrawn
Marga Alvarez
Una interesante novela que te introduce en un mundo apasionado basado en el amor en todas sus manifestaciones. Mezcla extraña de hombres, la evolución de la tierra, la creencia y la fe, los ángeles caídos y la mano de Dios.
Nuestra protagonísta cuenta su historia personal, de nada más y nada menos que 400 años, a un sacerdote mientras espera su condena.
Sin duda, un libro interesante al que sólo ensombrece la densidad de la autora a la hora de describir los hechos, situaciones y escenarios que hac
Mitzi
I couldn't really get thru this book. I read to page 100 and didn't enjoy it. It could be just the time of the year I was trying to read it, and the busy ness of my life at the moment, OR my mood. It is however very well written, I just didn't enjoy the story. The story starts in 1212 when a woman falls in love with a fallen angel.
Zoe
Unengaging story, childishly written, with some terrible grammatical errors. When I saw "should of" in a sentence instead of "should have", I was so horrified, I gave up. No-one with a half-decent education would have made a mistake like that, and any decent editor would have edited this out. Not worth my time or anybody else's.
Ana
“The Devil’s Concubine” is the story of Juliette, a woman confessing to a priest her love affair with a fallen angel in the wake of her execution.

It was a very interesting read. Even though some passages were difficult to understand or made little sense (may be due to the fact that the original book was written in Spanish and some of its essence got lost in translation), the book will stay with and you’ll lie awake at night thinking about this story long after you’ve finished reading it.

One of t
María  Sanz
Debo reconocer que me apasionan las historias de ángeles, ("Yo no creo en las meigas, pero haberlas haylas"), así que puede que ya estuviera predispuesta a que me gustase.
Este libro me atrapó no desde la primera página, sino desde el primer párrafo. Es una historia increíble en la que Angeles Goyanes nos lleva de la mano a un paseo por la Historia, desde la Alta Edad Media, hasta nuestros días.
Es un libro que habla del amor, de un amor por encima del tiempo y el espacio, de qué estaríamos dispue
Ana Katzen
Este fue un descubrimiento accidental que me resultó muy grato. Buscaba qué ebook comprarme en Amazon y al revisar las listas, este aparecía de primero. Usualmente no me dejo llevar por los reviews, pero qué bien que lo hice esta vez. Me encantó este libro por su argumento con toques bíblicos y por el estilo de la misma autora. Es bastante peculiar. Habrá quien diga que usa un lenguaje rebuscado y abusa de ciertas cosas, pero por alguna razón, me encontré repitiendo en voz alta algunas de sus fr ...more
Olgalijo
No puedo decir que recomendaria este libro a mucha gente. El lenguaje es demasiado rebuscado (y los varios casos de laismo que me encontre me distraian del libro en si) aunque tengo que decir que la mayoria de los ultimos libros que he leido en espan~ol son mucho peores en ese sentido. Me da la impresion de que la autora queria darnos una historia sobre moralidad o algo asi, pero el argumento no teiene suficiente interes como para que esta idea sea aparente.
Tammy

I want to actually go 3.5 stars. What a thought-provoking story. My biggest complaint is with spelling and some grammatical errors. It makes we wonder who (if anyone) bothered to edit this story...what a disservice to be distracted by improper word usage (taught instead of taut for example). This story did keep me very involved though. I would definitely recommend to others.
G
I liked it, this book was not what i expected. I'm not sure how i feel about it. Over all i gave a 3 star rating becuase of the end. it wasn't a bad ending it was just. The story was well written and very disriptive. The ending is the only issue i had. other than that i am please to have this additon to my library.
Fiorella Cecilia
Omg! Qué buen libro.... Al principio me aburrió un poquito hasta que tomo forma la historia y no pare de leerlo, no se qué pensar de los ángeles pero me encanto la historia de esta muchacha que paso por el tiempo y vivió un amor tan intenso.... Ahora voy a empezar a leer el libro que le sigue.... Los Hijos del Ángel!
Steph
This made for a decent story and was equally thought provoking. I enjoyed it most for the ideas it proposed regarding religion and human souls, yet perhaps a bit was lost in the translation as I commonly find with books that were originally written in another language.
Kimberly Kline
I loved the majority of this book. However, I eventually found myself skipping paragraphs as they seemed redundant (not a good sign!). The whole theme of "fallen angels" and their read on humanity is interesting.
Jessica
This author reminds me of Anne Rice with slightly less descriptive writing. I liked the story and the character's and felt glad to have a book finish without leading me into 2 more novels...so sick of trilogies.
Tovia
I give it 2 stars because the title is. so awesome but I could not finish this book, it was drawn out in the worse way.The most interesting part is the nephilim and their abilities.
Lorna

I loved this book. I was expecting something completely different, yet I am grateful for the ending provided. I will most likely reread at some point.
Eva Kristin
I didn't finish this book. The idea and consept was interesting and had a lot of potential, but the quality of the writing was appaling.
Abigail Early
I couldn't put it down, it wasn't what I was at first expecting, it was so much better. I will definitely be re-reading this!
Liz
You have to approach the book with an open mind, but it is VERY thought provoking.
Malinanka
Love it!!!

A very original story, never imagined it will be like it with such title.

Lisa
Imaginative plot with interesting characters.
Imelda
Mar 05, 2013 Imelda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
exelent book
Hector Garcia
Hector Garcia marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
  • Pharaoh's Son
  • The Parthian (The Parthian Chronicles, #1)
  • House of Corruption
  • Strategos - Born in the Borderlands (Strategos, #1)
  • The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, Volume Two (Miss Temple, Doctor Svenson, and Cardinal Chang #1.2)
  • The Fortunes of Captain Blood
  • Blood Rush (Demimonde, #2)
  • Elric
  • Bone Wires
  • The Complete Moon Trilogy: The Moon Maid, The Moon Men & The Red Hawk
  • Jade
  • I Know Not (The Legacy of Fox Crow, #1)
  • Brambleman
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • Victoria's Demon Lover
  • Jezebel's Ladder (Jezebel's Ladder, #1)
  • Kings, Queens, Heroes, & Fools (The Wardstone Trilogy, #2)
  • Cleopatra
I live (and I was born and grew up) in Madrid, Spain.
When I was younger I loved learning about different subjects and I studied History, Tourism and New Technologies in the University plus other minor courses.

Because I love traveling, when I write my characters use to travel a lot too, or live in interesting past times.

Most of all I love animals and I allways available to help to protect them.

I re
More about Ángeles Goyanes...
Inocencia Cursed Inheritance / Herencia Maldita: Bilingual Edition English / Spanish Los Hijos del Ángel Misterio En El Nilo El Maestro Envenenador

“Me limito a dar un aliciente a sus monótonos días, a sacarlos de la desidia de su existencia. Necesitan algo en qué creer, alguien a quien entregarse en cuerpo y alma, que les ahorre el trabajo de pensar y que gobierne sus vidas. Y yo, muy gustosamente, me ofrezco a ello. ¡A ellos les encanta que lo haga! ¿Qué crees que sería de ellos, criaturas incapaces, sin la guía y el consuelo de mi presencia?” 0 likes
“¿Quién puede desear la miel tras haber degustado el néctar de ambrosía?” 0 likes