Start by marking “The Loyal Servant” as Want to Read:
The Loyal Servant

The Loyal Servant (The Women Sleuths #1)

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Winner of the Lucy Cavendish Prize for fiction, The Loyal Servant is a whistleblower thriller that topped the Amazon political fiction chart.

"A brilliantly-paced thriller... Perfectly balanced between character and plot. Very gripping and suspenseful" - Sophie Hannah

"It immediately draws you in... there's suspense right from the beginning" - Penny Smith

Imagine for a moment
Published December 1st 2011 by Two Pies Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Loyal Servant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loyal Servant

Lynda Kelly
Oh dear.............she lost me at 15% in when it turned into slapstick.......it just got daft and was enough for me, I'm afraid.
I was shocked to see this, too-"I'm so glad your home"...that's a big ouch. A sedan was mentioned at one point too which I thought strange as we're not in America. Then at one point it got silly with her offering WAY too much information to her boss (although speechmarks were dropped there as well). It continued to where we were at a protest and there's where the comed
Diana Hockley
It's been awhile since I read a British political crime novel and I was not disappointed in this Lucy Cavendish Award winner. Americans may find this plot slow and maybe a little unexciting compared to the accelerated action in most of their own, but I enjoyed it.

Caroline is an ordinary public servant who stumbles across the suspected murder of a hitherto unassuming colleague. Just how hidden his depths are she is about to discover, to her and her family's cost.

Joining up with an older, hard-bo
Julie
I am not a reader of political thrillers in general and it took me a while to get into the story. In fact, it felt like nothing much was happening for the first third or so. Then the pace ramped up and I could hardly put the book down. I won't go through the plot, but I'll concentrate on on what I liked and didn't enjoy.
Firstly, I liked the characters of Caroline and Angela. They are both strong women and I felt I was really with them.
The male characters of the book tended to come across as we
GlenK
The Loyal Servant is a fast-paced, political paranoia thriller. There is a lot of plot (handled well except towards the end when things felt rushed) and a lot of characters. I did have problems with some of the characters. For example, Angela, the anything for the story newspaper reporter, is initially very unpleasant and never becomes likeable despite her role in the story. And the mother of titular character Caroline seems to be dramatically pointless (and irritating!). My problems with a few ...more
Free
And I am still caught up in reading thrillers...

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Right from the start, with poor Caroline trying to get a flirty security guard off her back and fleeing his attentions to the office of Martin, who just committed suicide (or did he?) I was engrossed.

One of my favourite aspects of this mystery is that we are not quite sure what is happening, or why, at the start. Caroline does not believe Martin killed himself, but nobody seems to agree. But what did happen to Martin
 Northern Light
When Caroline, a civil servant in the Department of Education, finds the minister dead in his office it starts her on a quest to find the truth. The official verdict is suicide which is confirmed by the note left but Caroline isn't convinced.

She manages to get a reporter interested and together they attempt to uncover what really is happening in the Academies division. Caroline's home life is disintegrating around her and at times her worlds collide.

I really enjoyed this book which is very topic
Quentin Feduchin
Really a good read, and pretty real. Indeed so real at times I was pretty darned irritated by middle-aged indecisive women, until I realised that none of us is ready to handle the kind of thugs that powerful people can employ to get their requirements filled...

It wasn't only that; even the everyday family things such as a teenage boy, and a mother's fear about interfering with him and his friends, could get irritating, but then again one has to realise that that is what families are all about, a
Leslie
I guess I entirely missed the boat on this. I thought the plot dragged on endlessly. Could not bring myself to finish it and I read everything.The plot lines were very good but I could not stay with it.
Judith Stewart
Lost interest within the first 3 chapters. Maybe I will go back to it once I've read through the rest of my books.
Nigel
I really found this an enjoyable thriller that kept me engaged almost from the start. A civil servant discovers her minister dead at his desk and a reporter is intrigued by what his colleague might have been working on before he met with an accident - will their paths cross? Obviously the answer is yes but in a well worked and satisfying way. The characters worked well for me and the pace was very good indeed. I found the last 30% of so quite hard to put down. Maybe not the most challenging read ...more
Fanficfan44
I must admit that Political Thrillers are not a genre that I read normally, so I almost hesitate to say too much about it other than some broad generalizations since some of the things I noted might be the norm within the genre.

This was a very fast paced book, which I assume was part of the thriller aspect, which was fine and kept me turning the pages, however, I found some of the transitions at that pace to be rather abrupt. At one point, I had to reread to figure out what happened during a tr
Babus Ahmed
I loved reading this fast paced and gripping political thriller. I loved the protagonists and it was refreshing to read strong female characters, I loved the kick-ass attitude both Caroline and Tate had and I was laughing out loud to Jean's antics too. The plot kept me riveted so the book kept me up all night. I was surprised to see saloon cars referred to as sedans in this British political thriller and there was the odd typo but the story prevailed. I'm not a parent myself, so it could just be ...more
Salon Reads
*What Lizzie Thought*

Ok, now I am not a fan of political thrillers in general, I normally find them kind of boring. I was so thankful I picked up The Loyal Servant to read! It was everything that the majority of political thrillers aren’t. It was interesting, attention grabbing, suspenseful and extremely well written. I was hooked after the first chapter, immediately drawn in.

Read The Full Review
Tracyk
This book is a political thriller, not the type that I usually consider my first choice. I initially decided to read this book because it had a strong woman as protagonist. The setting is present day London, also a plus.

This book grabbed me and held my interest from the beginning. Unfortunately, I had to read it in too many chunks, and toward the end I stayed up too late to finish the book because I had to know how it ended. For a first novel, I thought it was very well done.

There are actually s
Joyce
This was a surprisingly engrossing novel. The protagonist is a middle aged woman who works for the Department of Education (civil service) in London. She discovers the dead body of a Member of Parliament in his office and does not believe the suicide charges. She begins to investigate her own department (academies) and to work with another woman, an investigative reporter. The heroine also has three children, her mother and heavily drinking husband living with her. The more she investigates, the ...more
marvin shults
Loyal Servant

Loyal Servant

It was a good story , well written , don't care for the swearing. personally I don't feel it makes a story better. Good read otherwise.
RuthG
I don't normally read political thrillers but decided to take a chance with this one. Although I found the plot interesting I also found it not easy to believe and of the characters were all a little too much of whatever they were. The men were all a little too weak to be believable. All of the children had various problems and the grandmother was too focused on her own interests. Caroline was dedicated to finding out the truth but also far too controlling, and Angela was a stereotype of an extr ...more
Denise
Gripping

Although I think the character Dan was incredibly annoying and personally wouldn't have put up with his behavior the rest of the story was great
Michelle
This was a well written, fast paced, political thriller. Sometimes I thought that it was a bit beyond belief, but it is fiction so only to be expected.
Sandy K
Could have done without the boss stalking/grooming (?) the main character's son through the horrors of SOCIAL MEDIA!!!!!! when it basically didn't amount to anything since we had plenty of reasons to dislike him anyway.
Penny
This was very well written although a bit predictable. That aside, this was written in a way that made the reader live the emotions through the book. Highly recommended.
Hazel Lewis
I didn't find this book nearly as gripping as I had thought I would and it didn't leave me wanting to read further novels about the journalist Angela Tate. As a political thriller I found the characterisation thin and the plot predictable.
Caroline
Steve Norris
Really enjoyable read. Great characters imagined in reality. The author unveils the layers of government that we never see and show us how politicians use the vacuum of knowledge to abuse their power. The arrogance of the politicians is stunning as the characters are pushed to the age. The contrast between the day to day marital issues of a working mother and the heady politics. Very fast moving and easy to read.
Dustpuppy
I consider myself a dedicated Anglophile, but the intricacies of British Ministries and the social stigma around being gay in England are not areas I have paid much attention to. Consequently, the entire motivation for the whole Tom-Clancy-esque conspiracy and cover-up left me uninterested, unsuspended, and confused.
Kevin Bowser
It took me a long time to get through this book. I was hoping for a big climax as I approached the end. But, in the end, it just fizzled for me.

I think the author had the germ of a great story and there was a great plot to be had. I just think she missed an opportunity for a really special book.
Missy
Pretty good book, but not great. The ending wrapped up way too quickly and without enough resolution. Plus there were just too many plotlines that were abandoned. What actually happened in the pool? Why even give us details about Jason's investigation if it's not going to mean anything?
Judith
The Loyal Servant is the first British political thriller I've read and it is wonderful.

It grabbed me from the start and the balance between characters and plot kept the suspense at a high level throughout.

The ending was a surprise and I look forward to reading other books by Eva Hudson.
Stephen
Took a while for me to get into it but eventually was hooked. All the little sub-plots concluded together well by the end.
  • Ghost in the Machine (Scott Cullen Mysteries #1)
  • A Game of Proof
  • Ascension Day
  • Stigma
  • Safe Harbor ( A Pat Tierney Mystery, #1)
  • Surface Tension (Seychelle Sullivan, #1)
  • The Sholes Key: An Evans and Blackwell Mystery (Book #1)
  • Dark Places
  • Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files #1)
  • Hidden Doors, Secret Rooms
  • Jet (Jet, #1)
  • The Folks at Fifty-Eight
  • Killing Hope (Gabe Quinn #1)
  • Escape: A New Life
  • Convictions
  • The Stolen Child
  • The Shoulders of Giants
  • 48 Hours (City of London, #1)
Eva Hudson was born and raised in south London and now splits her time between the serene rolling hills of Sussex and the chaotic streets of central London. She's been a local government officer, singer, dot com entrepreneur, portrait artist, web designer, project manager and content editor.

In 2011 her first novel, The Loyal Servant, won the inaugural Lucy Cavendish Fiction Prize from Cambridge U
More about Eva Hudson...
Fresh Doubt - The Complete Novel Fresh Doubt - Episode One: An Ingrid Skyberg FBI Thriller (US Embassy Thriller, Book 1) Kill Plan Run Girl: Ingrid Skyberg FBI Thrillers Prequel Novella The Senior Moment (The Women Sleuths, #2)