Start by marking “Arcania (Trial by Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Arcania (Trial by Fire, #1)

Arcania (Trial by Fire #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  14 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Born without arcania in her blood, Adia has lived in the shadow of her magical twin her whole life until the day she accidentally inherits her spellcaster sister’s talents. Now she’s got the ability to save the lives of everybody she loves…if only she knew the first thing about how to use it.

Once she leaves Earth for the training academy in Arcania, there are plenty of peo
Kindle Edition
Published January 11th 2012 by Coliloquy

To ask other readers questions about Arcania, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arcania

Pam Vlieg
Jan 24, 2012 Pam Vlieg rated it really liked it
I really liked Arcania. I don’t have sisters but I can imagine what it is like being a twin and always living in the shadow of the ‘good’ twin. The parents are absent in this book but that seems to be the norm for the magical children in this universe. Arcania deals with magic, and alternate realities and the choose your own path style that Coliloquy provides makes the reading more enjoyable. It feels more high stakes, like what I choose effects the storyline and my reading experience.

There is a
Kate
Jan 31, 2013 Kate rated it did not like it
Rating: 1.5

Look, I really struggled with this rating. I see that everyone has ranked this book pretty high, but let's be honest here fokes. This is a great story concept that falls flat on its face due to poor story structure and bad writing. The concept is there... the likable characters are there... but at the end of the day this book is highly disappointing.

For instance, you never really get a great picture of whatever magic school Adia attends. The best description in the whole book/episode
Erica
Mar 30, 2013 Erica rated it it was amazing
Arcania by Liz Maverick was a super cool book. It was fantasy, but definitely had a bit of a sci-fi feel to it for me! I loved the characters and the plot. Arcania was a great read and start to a series, and will only take off from here.

When I first started reading, I was a bit confused. It took a bit of reading and then I was able to more fully grasp what was going on. The set up of the story is very intriguing, so I can’t wait to see where the story will continue to go. Certain aspects of the
Jennifer Ellision
To be posted on Page Turners Blog:

I was both excited and skeptical when I began reading Arcania. Excited because I thought that the summary sounded positively enthralling. But skeptical because of the "interactive" element to it. You see, the new Coliloquy books are interactive books. Readers determine which path the stories take and new segments are automatically downloaded onto their Kindle. To me, this sounded like electronic versions of Choose Your Own Adventure books, which I vaguely rememb
Dorine White
Nov 01, 2012 Dorine White rated it really liked it
I have a different type of review today, it’s still a book review, but it’s for an eBook app. I was hunting through the apps on my Nook and came across one called Arcania- Trial by Fire by Liz Maverick. It looked so interesting I just had to buy it.
So, Arcania is what Nook calls an “active fiction” book. According to them, “it’s more like a TV series, where the characters and stories evolve and grow.” Some of you might already be familiar with this type of story, but it is totally new to me. I j
Megs
Jan 13, 2013 Megs rated it liked it
Shelves: review, ya, magic
Let me start off by saying that the choose your own adventure books were my absolute favourites in elementary school. I'm pretty sure I read every one in my school library. So I was super excited to get the chance to read this book, which sounded like it would give me a chance to rekindle my love of this type of book.

Unfortunately, the interactive portion of the book fell flat for me. I think there were only a couple of places where I got to make a decision for Adia and they are super minor. So
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Jenny
Cover Story: Thank God It's On A Kindle!
BFF Charm: Yay
Swoonworthy Scale: 4
Talky Talk: Straight Up Gamer Style
Bonus Factors: World Building, Choose Your Own Adventure
Relationship Status: I Like Hanging Out With This Book When I'm At My Friend's House

Read the full book report here.
Michelle
Feb 09, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
I got this purely on a whim to see what an "interactive" Kindle book would be like. As far as I remember, there were only two points where you could pick one path or another for the main character to follow. It was a super quick read, quick enough that I plan to read it again and choose the other path and see how (or whether) it turns out differently. Interesting concept, but ultimately kind of a novelty, in my opinion.
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Jahnelle
Jahnelle marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Rosi B Escamilla
Rosi B Escamilla marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Kimi
Kimi added it
Jan 06, 2016
Morgan Roach
Morgan Roach marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Stacy McLemore
Stacy McLemore marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
App Sender
App Sender marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Oceann Weeks
Oceann Weeks marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Monika Vuic
Monika Vuic marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Donita Chang
Donita Chang marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Victoria Draeon
Victoria Draeon marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Shanaia
Shanaia marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Christian Mcdevitt
Christian Mcdevitt marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Nameless Magery
  • Risky Christmas: Holiday Secrets\Kidnapped at Christmas
  • Child of Saturn (The Green Lion Trilogy, Book 1)
  • Orphan: The Key to Magic I
  • Dragons of Wendal
  • Confessions of an Improper Bride (Donovan Sisters, #1)
  • Crystal Doors (Crystal Doors, #1)
  • Stained Glass Monsters (Eferum, #1)
  • The Secret of Dragonhome (Dragonhome, #1)
  • Candlewax
  • Gift of the Unmage (Worldweavers, #1)
  • Aurelie: A Faerie Tale
  • Deadly Pink
  • Kotov Syndrome (Zero Sum, #1)
  • Betting on Love
  • The Triad of Finity (Oliver Nocturne, #6)
  • Nanomech
  • The Pack: Retribution (The Pack #2)
Bestselling, award-winning author Liz Maverick is a novelist, adventurer and odd jobs specialist whose contract assignments have taken her from driving trucks in Antarctica to working behind the scenes on reality TV shows in Hollywood. She holds a BS from UC Berkeley, a CPA, and an MBA from UCLA.
Liz is known for writing out-of-the-box romance novels with fast-paced, unique plots and lots of kick-
More about Liz Maverick...