Start by marking “Arcania (Trial by Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Arcania (Trial by Fire, #1)

Arcania (Trial by Fire #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Born without arcania in her blood, Adia has lived in the shadow of her magical twin her whole life until the day she accidentally inherits her spellcaster sister’s talents. Now she’s got the ability to save the lives of everybody she loves…if only she knew the first thing about how to use it.

Once she leaves Earth for the training academy in Arcania, there are plenty of peo...more
Kindle Edition
Published January 11th 2012 by Coliloquy

To ask other readers questions about Arcania, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arcania

Pam Vlieg
I really liked Arcania. I don’t have sisters but I can imagine what it is like being a twin and always living in the shadow of the ‘good’ twin. The parents are absent in this book but that seems to be the norm for the magical children in this universe. Arcania deals with magic, and alternate realities and the choose your own path style that Coliloquy provides makes the reading more enjoyable. It feels more high stakes, like what I choose effects the storyline and my reading experience.

There is a...more
Kate
Rating: 1.5

Look, I really struggled with this rating. I see that everyone has ranked this book pretty high, but let's be honest here fokes. This is a great story concept that falls flat on its face due to poor story structure and bad writing. The concept is there... the likable characters are there... but at the end of the day this book is highly disappointing.

For instance, you never really get a great picture of whatever magic school Adia attends. The best description in the whole book/episode...more
Erica
Arcania by Liz Maverick was a super cool book. It was fantasy, but definitely had a bit of a sci-fi feel to it for me! I loved the characters and the plot. Arcania was a great read and start to a series, and will only take off from here.

When I first started reading, I was a bit confused. It took a bit of reading and then I was able to more fully grasp what was going on. The set up of the story is very intriguing, so I can’t wait to see where the story will continue to go. Certain aspects of the...more
Jennifer Ellision
To be posted on Page Turners Blog:

I was both excited and skeptical when I began reading Arcania. Excited because I thought that the summary sounded positively enthralling. But skeptical because of the "interactive" element to it. You see, the new Coliloquy books are interactive books. Readers determine which path the stories take and new segments are automatically downloaded onto their Kindle. To me, this sounded like electronic versions of Choose Your Own Adventure books, which I vaguely rememb...more
Dorine White
I have a different type of review today, it’s still a book review, but it’s for an eBook app. I was hunting through the apps on my Nook and came across one called Arcania- Trial by Fire by Liz Maverick. It looked so interesting I just had to buy it.
So, Arcania is what Nook calls an “active fiction” book. According to them, “it’s more like a TV series, where the characters and stories evolve and grow.” Some of you might already be familiar with this type of story, but it is totally new to me. I j...more
Megan (Megan Likes Books)
Let me start off by saying that the choose your own adventure books were my absolute favourites in elementary school. I'm pretty sure I read every one in my school library. So I was super excited to get the chance to read this book, which sounded like it would give me a chance to rekindle my love of this type of book.

Unfortunately, the interactive portion of the book fell flat for me. I think there were only a couple of places where I got to make a decision for Adia and they are super minor. So...more
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Jenny
Cover Story: Thank God It's On A Kindle!
BFF Charm: Yay
Swoonworthy Scale: 4
Talky Talk: Straight Up Gamer Style
Bonus Factors: World Building, Choose Your Own Adventure
Relationship Status: I Like Hanging Out With This Book When I'm At My Friend's House

Read the full book report here.
Michelle
I got this purely on a whim to see what an "interactive" Kindle book would be like. As far as I remember, there were only two points where you could pick one path or another for the main character to follow. It was a super quick read, quick enough that I plan to read it again and choose the other path and see how (or whether) it turns out differently. Interesting concept, but ultimately kind of a novelty, in my opinion.
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Shanaia
Shanaia marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Christian Mcdevitt
Christian Mcdevitt marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Gwyneth
Gwyneth marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Stephanie Parray
Stephanie Parray marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Nicola Pike
Nicola Pike marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Natalie Martinez
Natalie Martinez marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
kiaras playground
kiaras playground marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Ari
Ari marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Samantha Soh
Samantha Soh marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Lauren Dunnewin
Lauren Dunnewin marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Lostsoul
Lostsoul marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Tasha Turner
Tasha Turner marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Ingo
Ingo added it
Jun 07, 2013
Nora
Nora marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Corine
Corine marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bestselling, award-winning author Liz Maverick is a novelist, adventurer and odd jobs specialist whose contract assignments have taken her from driving trucks in Antarctica to working behind the scenes on reality TV shows in Hollywood. She holds a BS from UC Berkeley, a CPA, and an MBA from UCLA.
Liz is known for writing out-of-the-box romance novels with fast-paced, unique plots and lots of kick-...more
More about Liz Maverick...
Crimson City (Crimson City, #1) Crimson Rogue (Crimson City, #6) Shards of Crimson (Crimson City, #7) Crimson & Steam (Crimson City, #8) The Shadow Runners (2176 Series, #3)