Start by marking “Modern Classics Book 1” as Want to Read:
Modern Classics Book 1

Modern Classics Book 1 (Modern Classics #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  817 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In Modern Classics, Australia's bestselling food writer Donna Hay takes the food from the past we love the most and makes it irresistibly new. Then she looks at what's the best of the new and turns it into a cooking classic.

Coleslaw gets a well-deserved makeover while free-form ratatouille tart enters the classics category. Chicken soup comes of age again while the fresh,
Published October 22nd 2002 by Ecco (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Modern Classics Book 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Modern Classics Book 1

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
243rd out of 982 books — 972 voters
Mom's Island Bakens by Martha Char LoveGluten Free Slow Cooker by F.L. CloverMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildThe Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook  by Cheryl DayBarefoot Contessa Back to Basics by Ina Garten
All-Time Favorite Cookery Books
34th out of 94 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Hannah
Apr 04, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-food
The perfect basics. There is not much more you could ask for as a beginner cookbook. Donna Hay really hit the nail on the head when she called this book "Modern Classics". The book is filled with familiar recipes that have been cleaned up, making them lighter and fresher.

There is nothing particular wonderful about the book, but you will miss it if it's not on your shelf. Sometimes, you know what you want to make but all your trusted celebrity chefs are to busy trying to impress than cater for o
Bobbie  Crawford-Flinn
Aug 25, 2009 Bobbie Crawford-Flinn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to cook!
Modern Classics, Book 1
Written by: Donna Hay
Published by: Ecco
Date: 2002
Pages: 192
Format: Trade Paperback
(Trimsize: 812)
ISBN: 978-0060095246

Modern Classics, Book 1 includes recipes in the following categories: soup, salads, vegetables, roasts & simmers, pasta, noodles & rice, savoury pies & savoury tarts.

A small sample of the recipes inside Book 1:

B
Tina
Dec 31, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, favorites
There is quite a variety of Donna Hay books in print and I am dabbling in several of them. The online cooking site I Heart Cooking Clubs features a different chef/cook every six months. The last vote for a female chef was won by Donna Hay. I must say, I am enjoying cooking with her recipes and so far it’s all been delicious (if I may say so myself).

So far, all the cookbooks I have perused display wonderful photos of the food and easy to follow recipes. Let me highlight a few of cookbooks here.

Fa
Saskia
Oct 16, 2014 Saskia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-books
I use this book and its companion frequently. I wouldn't be without them.
Serge Pierro
Oct 07, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it really liked it
I had recently come across the term, "Australian look", for food photography/styling, and it was said that Donna Hay and the photographers that she used, were at the forefront of this "clean look". I picked up a couple of books to see what the fuss was all about. The photography throughout this book is quite nice, and there is an enticing collection of recipes with concise instructions. It's nice to see many of the recipes presented with large full page photographs. I'm looking forward to the o ...more
Gail Fisher
Jul 07, 2007 Gail Fisher rated it it was amazing
I kept a boyfriend for way longer than should have based soley on the merits of this book. Not that I would recommend that strategy, for surely the way to a man's cold black heart is also through his stomach, but still-- some damn fine cookin'!
Kathryn Harrison
Dec 30, 2012 Kathryn Harrison rated it really liked it
Simple cooking at its best. Every recipe has a short ingredients list but the quality is imperative. The photography is classic Donna Hay - white background, white plates, few thing to distract from the food.
Cristina
Jan 24, 2009 Cristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Nice big pictures are good but you ultimately want the recipe to turn out a success and i have to say Hays straightforward instructions will almost guarantee it will!
Tara Carpenter
Dec 30, 2009 Tara Carpenter rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I would probably give it more stars but I never got around to making any of the recipes. Plenty of them look good, though. I copied a few & will try soon.
Lauren
Aug 13, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I LOVE Donna Hay! Very simple recipes with a grand taste! Great cookbook for a beginning cook or a newly married woman!
Emily
Feb 28, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing
Donna Hay's books not only have great recipes but they are beautiful to look at also.
Rose Marie
Jul 20, 2015 Rose Marie rated it liked it
A lot of good recipes, but I haven't found them as reliable as The Instant Cook.
Bridget
Aug 10, 2008 Bridget rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This looks really good. Great photos to tell you how to make things. Yum.
Scott (Ozziespur)
May 24, 2012 Scott (Ozziespur) rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Excellent, easy to follow recipes with great colour photo's !
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Ben Pieper
Ben Pieper rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2016
Aliyaa Barbra
Aliyaa Barbra rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2016
Brigitte Perger
Brigitte Perger rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Ling Yan
Ling Yan rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Lavanya
Lavanya rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Tea-Rex
Tea-Rex rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Rokunda
Rokunda rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Joan Cason
Joan Cason marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Dinu
Dinu rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Maggie
Maggie added it
Apr 12, 2016
Laura Levine
Laura Levine marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Christine Cieri
Christine Cieri rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
  • The River Cottage Family Cookbook
  • Molto Gusto: Easy Italian Cooking
  • Gordon Ramsay's Sunday Lunch: And Other Recipes from the F Word
  • Bake

Donna Hay is an Australian food stylist, author, and magazine editor. Her food, recipes and styling focuses on basic ingredients, simply prepared and beautifully photographed – hallmarks of her work which have set the benchmark for food publishing worldwide and inspired a wh
More about Donna Hay...

Modern Classics (3 books)
  • Modern Classics Book 2: Cookies, Biscuits & Slices, Small Cakes, Cakes, Desserts, Hot Puddings, Pies & Tarts
  • The New Classics