Start by marking “Conrad: The Factory-Made Boy” as Want to Read:
Conrad: The Factory-Made Boy

Conrad: The Factory-Made Boy

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  535 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Mrs. Bartolotti finds a factory-made child, who never does anything wrong, in the post - delivered by mistake. The factory men try to reclaim Conrad but he doesn't want to go.
Published October 1st 1999 by Andersen Press (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Conrad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conrad

Petya Kokudeva
Така. Аз просто имам нещо като "смешен коремобол" от Конрад, който е дотягащо послушен, ерудиран и възпитан. Такова дете просто не сте виждали! Абсурдът възрастно дете-майка-дивачка е чудесно хрумване, дори си мисля, че би станал от него интересен (философски някак) сюжет за "възрастен роман". Много нишки и смисли предлага...

Авторката, бих казала неслучайно, е първата носителка на наградата за детска литература на името на А. Линдгрен.
LauraT

Credo che Endrigo sia arrivato prima; come eravamo piccoli ...

Georgiana 1792
A scuola di buoni genitori

Chi non vorrebbe avere un figlio perfetto, obbediente, che risponde sempre con educazione, che studia diligentemente, che mangia tutto quello che la mamma gli mette nel piatto e non fa mai storie di nessun genere, e chi più ne ha più ne metta?
Ma se il figlio è perfetto, allora anche i genitori dovrebbero essere alla sua altezza, e non è una cosa facile, credetemi, per quanto ci si sforzi!
(view spoiler)
Al
Absolutely beautiful.
MsD
I've read this heaps of times, but not in recent years. I finally chased down a copy and it's as brilliant as I remember. My favourite character back then was Mrs. Bartollotti and years later I still love her just as much for being so unapologetically different and out of sync with how the world expects a person to be. I'm so glad I read this at the age I did and that years later the book still holds the same meaning to me. Awesome read <3
Amy Carr
I absolutely LOVED this book as a child...I remember a teacher reading it to us in 3rd or 4th grade and then my family owned a copy that a read a dozen more times. I am desperately looking for a copy of this "out of print" book if anyone comes across one! A funny favorite!
Maria M. Elmvang
I loved this book as a child, so I was a bit worried whether or not it would pass the test of time. Thankfully it did so quite nicely, so I think this will be the next book I read aloud for my nieces and nephews.
Asriani
Bertahun – tahun lamanya, Mrs. Bartolotti terbiasa hidup sendiri. Tidak ada lagi rasa sedih yang tersisa sejak kepergian Mr Bartolotti bertahun – tahun lalu. Karena kini Mrs Bartolotti punya banyak hal yang harus dikerjakan. Dari bisnis tenunan permadani, jadwal yang di tetapkan bersama Mr Egon, sang pemilik Apotek untuk saling mengunjungi di hari selasa dan sabtu, sampai kebiasaannya berbelanja dan memesan barang – barang.

Khusus yang terakhir memang menjadi hal yang tidak terpisahkan dari Mrs.
Pulung
Jun 18, 2008 Pulung rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, adults
Recommended to Pulung by: my husband kawansyam
Ha ha!

Ide ceritanya sih OK. Tentang anak instan, yang bisa dipesan dari pabrik dan diprogram sesuai dengan "kebutuhan" pemesannya. Sebuah alternatif cara mendapatkan anak.

-pesan
-bayar
-terima paket
-buka paketnya
-buka kaleng kemasan
-siramkan "cairan gizi" pada produk di dalamnya (anak itu)
-nah, selamat "menikmati" kehadirannya!

Entah dimana kegagalan buku ini, mungkin kegagalan penerjemahnya. Saya merasa "tersedak-sedak" membacanya. Padahal, sebenarnya saya merasa cerita ini "seharusnya" asik!

Bara
Niria
I read this a few years ago, and have been meaning to look it up for ages. It was a very enjoyable read, there's no doubt about it- the concept, the illustrations in the edition I read, and the story itself was funny and lighthearted yet meaningful, and food for my young imagination- 'zany' is the perfect word to describe it. I also remember learning a new word from it (spangle), if you need something more convincing. It was great fun to read.
Indiana Gregg
I remember loving this book as a 4th grader. It's a book I'll never forget. Ms. B is such a funny character.
Speakercoret
lebih suka yang suami utk mama...
Rhapsody
Apr 11, 2007 Rhapsody rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: childrens, fiction
They read this one to us in third grade. I loved it. A lonely, single older woman receives a package she didn't order; inside is an "instant child", or something like that--just add water. The boy's name is Konrad, and he's the perfect little boy; polite, quiet, obedient, etc. For various reasons, he has to learn to act more normal (i.e. naughty), or else he'll be taken back to the factory. Such a quirky story. I haven't reread it since then, but when we were kids, we all loved it.
owl
"tindakan luar biasa diperlukan untuk situasi luar biasa." (p.143)

haha. buku ini lucu banget. awalnya g suka bgt sm Mr. Egon. Tp melihat kerjasama mereka di akhir kisah dalam melawan perusahaan tempat Konrad diproduksi, jd tau jg kalo Mr. Egon bener2 tulus sayang sm Konrad.

Suka sm Mrs Bartolotti yg kacau dan apa adanya. menurutku dia keren hehe...

suka jg waktu Konrad di re-install sm Kitti. Paling gak jd ada gambaran kalo mendidik anak menjadi baik ato nakal sama2 susahnya. hahaha
Alberto
Very underrated book and author. I read it when i was a kid and i absolutely loved it. I must say this was the book that really got me into reading.

The whole concept is strange and creepy by itself (A kid that arrives through mail delivery in a food can...) but it's presented in such an innocent and fun way that i believe any person (Kid or adult) can come to love it.
Trine
I don't think I would ever have read this book if it wasn't for my grandchildren listening to it as audio book on a long car trip. I don't know who was most fascinated, my or the grandchildren. But it made the trip seem so much shorter and later I had to find the book in order to finish it for my self.
DK: Konrad - eller Drengen i konservesdåsen
Beth
My 3rd grade teacher read this to us...I have been looking for this book for YEARS and I finally figured out the title today...

Read it again...I remembered the story for the most part, but there were aspects I had forgotten. Still a very enjoyable read 20 or so years later.
Eduardo Sánchez
Para creer en la espontaneidad. Un niño hecho en una fabrica aprende que el protocolo y las normas a pesar de ser consideradas "correctas" suprimen el ser. Es una historia que se sirve del absurdo para una sutil y graciosa crítica social.
Ruby Tuesday
I read this with my 7-year-old who loved it. It was one of my favourites when I was his age and its amazing how I couldn't still remember many parts word for word from the book. I guess I must have read it a lot!
Tyas
What makes a child a child? In this book, Nostlinger explores the question in the form of fantasy meant for children - but it surely contains ideas to be pondered by adults too.
Dävid Ö'brien
I read this book in grade school and it was so bizarre I had a hard knowing if I just made it up?!! I told my friends about it since and no one had heard of it.
Ida
This was my favorite book as a child and when I look back at it with all that I have learned, lived and experienced the past 20 years, I feel like a damn wise child!
Kim
I'm sure I read this a long time ago. I vaguely rememeber the references to "sky blue paper", for example. However, I think I liked it better when I was a kid.
Gabri
Era uno dei miei libri preferiti quando ero piccola. I personaggi sono perfettamente caratterizzati ed indimenticabili, soprattutto la Signora Bartolotti!!
Farzaneh
اولین داستان بلندی که تو سالگی خوندم. فوق العاده است. تا - سالگیم حداقل سالی یکبار میخوندمش. عاشق تک تک شخصیتای داستانم. داستان ساخته شدن یه آدم اتفاقی. ...more
Sheebe
Jul 20, 2013 Sheebe marked it as wishlist
This was one of my favorite books when I was a little kid. I borrowed it from a library. It's difficult to find now and I want to read it again.
Tata Kailuhu
Baru baca setengahnya sih,, mmm kurang menarik juga sih sempet bosan pas bacanya sampe sekarang belum dilanjutin lagi haha.
Barb
Feb 12, 2012 Barb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Adorable children's book. How does a child learn to be good, but not too good and just bad enough to have fun? Just plain fun.
Paula Hill was campbell
So far my little girl really enjoying it and she never wants to put it down.This is the best book i have ever bought for her
Shabnam
The best book of my childhood ,i have read the book several times, each time with the same excitement as the first time
  • Mein Urgroßvater und ich (SZ Junge Bibliothek, #7)
  • The Cat: Or, How I Lost Eternity
  • Fray Perico y su borrico
  • How the Whale Became and Other Stories
  • La regina dei Caraibi
  • Knight's Fee
  • Marcelino Pan Y Vino
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • A Kid for Two Farthings
  • The Ship That Flew
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green
  • Brendon Chase
  • Children on the Oregon Trail
  • A Dog So Small
  • Quirky Tails (Uncollected)
  • Vuk
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
Christine Nöstlinger is an Austrian writer.

By her own admission, Nöstlinger was a wild and angry child. After finishing high school, she wanted to become an artist, and studied graphic arts at the Academy of Applied Arts in Vienna. She worked as a graphic artist for a few years, before marrying a journalist, Ernst Nöstlinger, with whom she had two daughters. Today she alternates between her home i
More about Christine Nöstlinger...
Gretchen Sackmeier: Eine Familiengeschichte Querida Susi, querido Paul The Cucumber King Maikäfer, flieg! Die Ilse ist weg