Start by marking “The Dulang Washer: An Epic Tale of Love, Valour and Secrets” as Want to Read:
The Dulang Washer: An Epic Tale of Love, Valour and Secrets
Preview

The Dulang Washer: An Epic Tale of Love, Valour and Secrets

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Malaya, 1890 ... in the tin-mining camps of Perak's Kinta Valley, only the strongest and bravest survive ... and the strongest and bravest of them all is Aisha, the beautiful solitary Malay dulang washer who labours to support two families.

Fook Sin, the mine's treacherous, thieving proprietor, sees Aisha as his ultimate prize: the most desirable object he can add to his se
Published July 1st 2011 by MPH Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Dulang Washer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dulang Washer

Rachell
I always like to start my reviews on a positive note, so I will say this for The Dulang Washer: it gives hope to aspiring novelists everywhere, because if something this badly written can find a publisher, anything can.

This novel failed on pretty much every count. Characters are flat, the pacing is off, the plotting is contrived and unbelievable, and there are so many clichés that I was tempted to start a drinking game. Moreover, the book commits the ultimate sin for a historical novel: I didn'
Aik Chien 인첸
Paul Callan may be from Ireland, but Malayan history proves to be influential in his debut novel, The Dulang Washer. Following the history of Hakka miners in Perak in the 1890's, when the tin-mining industry was booming, this story unfolds to tell us about the life of a particularly beautiful Malay woman called Aisha, who works as a dulang washer to support two families - her deceased fiancé's family and her own.

Aisha is portrayed as an ethereal beauty who works hard and never complain. With her
Natalia Pì
Hmmm. I liked this book at times, and at times I did not.
What I liked: the author was good at showing us what it may have been like to live and work in a mine in a jungle, with harsh working conditions and diseases threatening your life everyday. At times it was rather atmospheric, and as someone who loves Malaysia, I enjoyed that.
What I disliked: I found characters were a bit flat and stereotypical. The ones who were good were only good and brave and morally perfect, the ones who were bad were
Evan Razz
Jun 30, 2013 Evan Razz added it
Shelves: areca
A deluge of novels featuring strong Western heroines often give the impression that fortitude and courage are exclusive traits of the likes of Scarlett O’Hara and Rose Sayer. Thus it is very interesting to see how author Paul Callan juxtaposes stereotype with diversity in his novel The Dulang Washer. The protagonist of this well paced roman à clef is a Hakka-conversant Malay woman called Aisha who works in a tin mine while supporting two families—her deceased fiancé's and her own. The plot hinge ...more
Syuhaidah
I started reading the book expecting it to be stiff and to lack depth? But of course orang Melayu dulu-dulu are more disciplined than I will ever be.

Also, I like how heavy the book is, compared to others of its thickness.
Antoinette Go
Antoinette Go marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Gena
Gena marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Dalila Kamarudin
Dalila Kamarudin is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2013
Dune
Dune added it
Sep 19, 2013
Fiona Hocking
Fiona Hocking marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2013
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2012
Allison Long
Allison Long marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2012
Misha
Misha marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2012
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2012
Afifah
Afifah added it
Sep 26, 2012
Fazzillah
Fazzillah marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2012
Baniza
Baniza added it
May 22, 2012
Mujahid
Mujahid marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Em - of Everything Books
Em - of Everything Books marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2012
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2012
Huda
Huda is currently reading it
Feb 11, 2012
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2012
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2012
Surbhi
Surbhi added it
Dec 21, 2011
I was born in Dublin, Ireland. My love of storytelling was fuelled while attending Chanel College in North Dublin.

As a young man in London, I abandoned my first attempt at becoming a novelist in pursuit of a business career. After marrying my Malaysian wife, I visited Malaysia many times, and fell in love with the country and its people. I now divide my time between my homes in Kuala Lumpur and Lo
More about Paul Callan...
Shadows Beneath The Fronds The Dulang Washer