Start by marking “The Governor's Wife” as Want to Read:
The Governor's Wife

The Governor's Wife

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  552 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Bode Bonner is the Republican governor of Texas. He has everything he ever wanted: money, power, influence. But something isn't right in his life -- everything feels too settled and easy. He longs for one more moment of excitement, one more challenge.

Lindsay Bonner is Bode's wife, and she's bored too. Bored of Bode's womanizing, bored of the endless cocktail parties and r
Published (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Governor's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Governor's Wife

Linda
OK, the 2nd book that I didn't finish. Did the author actually write this? It was so different to his other books, and to me was a glorified Mills and Boon novel. I know I had a proof and it was disjointed but all the same, soppy story, poor dialogue and so uninteresting. The funny thing is that when I looked on Amazon at the reviews it got 4.5 out of 5. I am obviously missing something!
Nina Harrington
Incredibly disappointed.
The Colour of Law and The Abduction are two of my fav crime books of the past 10 years. I "read" this book last night and it is going straight to the charity shop today in the hope that someone may enjoy it. I say "read" because I ended up turning the pages looking for the story and failing.
I paid for a thrilling crime book and instead was subjected to page after page after page of a lecture on the socio-economics of Mexican migrants trapped in the no mans land between Me
Wendy Soliman
I really like this guy's books. The dry wit and humour was there in this one, but it didn't stack up to his other, in my opinion. Why? Well, a number of reasons that I can't go into without spoiling it. Suffice it to say that the wrong guy died! Message to author - it's a mistake to kill of someone of his calibre.

Just sayin'!
Pooja Jeevagan
Took me a long long time to complete it...given it's length n not to forget multiple narratives...

A nice read, little too political in honesty...but a good one, just should have been a little shorter...like 50-60 pages less...

My first read from the writer...might pick another some day :)
Roger
Probably more 2.5 stars than a straight 2. I have never read any of Mark Gimenez' previous books and so cannot compare but, having looked at reviews, can only assume that they must be better than this one. This one is far too lng (541 pages) for a lightweight story that could have been told in less than half of that number of pages. There is too much repetition. For example, how many times do we need to read almost identical conversations between politicians and businessmen they are trying to ge ...more
Alex
I managed to get through a third of this book before giving up. I have read other books by this author and I loved the way he described the places where each story took place. With this book on-one in their right mind would want to visit this no mans land! Other than the doctor I didn't like or connect with any of the characters and the book read more like a social dialogue than a thriller. Although obviously the problems he describes are a reality and illegal immigrants are a problem all over t ...more
VaultOfBooks
By Mark Gimenez. Grade: B
Mark Gimenez is a lawyer who left a major law firm in Dallas to start his own practice and to write. According to a lot of readers, he is one of the best published authors in the market. His writing has also been compared to that of John Grisham – and favourably, I may add – all of which worked wonderfully in whetting my appetite.
Bode Bonner is the Republican governor of Texas. He has everything he ever wanted: money, power, influence. But something isn’t right in his li
Lorraine
With Gimenez, you can never go wrong. I needed a book which was fast, action packed and intellectually stimulating. And I got it all and then some. Picked up a little Spanish!!!Ola!!!

Basically, this is a book about Bode Bonner, the Governor of Texas, who loved politics more than he loved his wife. In his younger life, Bode was a star American Football player with all the trimmings. Looks, money, ego and enough aggression to get him through University. He is a Texan through and through. From his
Neha M Sharma
The book starts out well with the Anglo nurse treating the sick in the colonias on the “wrong” side of the border. As the book progresses, it is revealed that the nurse if Lindsay Bonner, wife of Texas governor, Bode Bonner. Both characters are fairly bored in the relationship and seek out adventure in their own ways: Bode – by targeting the White House as his next stop, Lindsay – by running away to “make her life meaningful”. In the colonias resides the Harvard educated larger-than-life Dr. Jes ...more
Of all the Mark Gimenez books I have read so far, this one is my favorite! Just enough political points of view to not make me yawn but make me think. Yep, many times wanting to slap the governor up side the head for his stupid "I'm a male and I need to prove myself" things he does. And the wife is just in the background, subtle, questioning life and where it has taken her after so many years of marriage.
Ann Davis
This is storytelling at it's best. If I was talented enough to write, I would love to write a story like this. It began at the end and worked backwards with a chapter on the wife and a chapter on the governor, weaving the story in and out past and present with wonderful writing. It tells of how ambition can change someone until he is unrecognisable to his partner causing a chain of events that alters their lives forever. The characters are marvellous. Lyndsey Bonner the governor's wife is a stro ...more
Martha
My second novel by Gimenez and I will read more. My favorite aspect of this compelling read is the juxtaposition of the actions and intents of the several characters, each with his or her own agenda and the skillful junction of each. I rated this a 5-star even though the story was a little slow to get into; however once I got into the story, the beginning heightened my anticipation of the ending.
Priss
I really enjoyed this book, I hadn't read this author's other books, so had no preconceived ideas. Besides being entertaining, I felt like I learned a lot about life on the Border that I had had no idea about. Thank you Mark Gimenez for enlightening me to a very sad problem that belongs to the United States to solve.
Vern
I can't believe the Mark Gimenez books have a below 4.0 average rating. I stumbled across him, not even sure how, and have since read everything he has written and would rate all of them a 4.5 if not a 5. Entertaining, great characters, and engaging plotlines.
Carl
This book is a great read from one of my all time favourite authors. It's not too heavy on the politics side of things and provided enough action and human interest to keep me turning the pages. I really started to like Bode and found myself rooting for him to succeed. If this is your first book by Gimenez, I'm sure it won't be your last.
Beverly Mccollum
I adore this particular author but was disappointed in this book. I truly applaud any writer who decides to try something new but in my opinion this effort failed. The ending was good but it didn't redeem the rest of the novel as far as I was concerned
Sixpacknl
Not as good as his previous books in my opinion. A big portion of this book is dedicated to the political activities of the Texas Governor, and while I don't mind that in principal it is not really fascinating the way it is handled by the author. Rather boring I am afraid to say. I would certainly recommend Richard North Patterson, if political novels are your favorite books.
Also the story line I find rather weak. I became a big fan of Mark Gimenez after reading his first books, but this one I h
Carolyn Dewalt
Super

I enjoy Gimenez and this book lived up to my expectations. Great characters and fast paced storyline. Thank you and keep writing, Mr. Gimenez.
Rkphilip
Made a good read. Lots of info about American politics, history and Mexico.
But it seems either the author is a democrat or Latin American.
Rebecca
I really enjoyed this book. There were parts that were a little schizo, and I wish there had been more focus on Lindsay and less on the Governor's exploits. Some of the side plots just didn't really feel necessary. But it held my attention, and that doesn't always happen. I look forward to checking out more of Mark Gimenez's books, especially since folks seem to think that this is not his best.
Sandee
Jun 13, 2012 Sandee added it
If you like John Grisham, then you will love every book written by Mark Gimenez. In my opinion (and many others), he is the best author published in today's market. Unfortunately, his works are not published in the States and you can only get hard copies online (abebooks.com) or if you have a Kindle or Nook, that is your most economical way to go.

Mark's books are all a fast read. I just finished The Governor's Wife and now am reading Accused. After that, I will just have to patiently wait for Ma
Sandy thyer
I was so excited to see mark gimenez had books available in the us. his books since The Color of Law were published in England and were not available. I had to get Uk versions for the library I buy books. so I was really excited to find a kindle version of this new book. I am not sure it really is a 4 star maybe 3 1/2. it is definately not as good as his other books. it seems like he really rushed this one and it was not very believable. but the politics were interesting a lot of palin bashing t ...more
Ashok
Gimenez disappoints this time. The book takes time to get going, and then rides on convenient situations with none of the plot twists that one expects from this brilliant writer.
Peggy Walker
This is the latest novel by Mark Gimenez, and I have to admit, my least favorite. This one is about a runaway Governor's wife who leaves him to work in the strip of land along the Texas/Mexico border. The description of life there was fascinating and fairly horrifying. The people there were caught up in the drug wars and became a no-man's land that neither the U.S. or Mexico will claim. The characters were interesting, as always, but somehow the story just didn't gel for me this time. Still an e ...more
Donna Riegel
Good story about Mexico and all the crooked things going on there.
Merja
I loved this book - it's my favorite of his.
Sharon Roddy
Didn't finish it, just couldn't take to it at all
Kristianne
This booked was a disappointment. I became extremely bored with the characters almost immediately. I am really not even sure how I stuck it out until the end. I was never really sure where the story was going, and found myself praying that Bode would get shot and put me out of my misery. Gimenez is one of my fathers favorite authors, which should have said something, no offense dad, but these kind of stories really seem to tickle the 60 and up crowd, but I gave it a shot and ended up shooting my ...more
Penroj
I have read all of the Gimenez books, and although this is entertaining,it feels like a slow starter, he has started the book with a set up and then gone back 6 months prior to the event and tells the background to the characters and events that lead to that point.

As usual the characters are well drawn and you do get an empathy with the main players, and although you think you know where the story is going, there are a few twists and surprises along the way.

Not his best, but still an enjoyable r
Vivian Wood
did not like the ending.
  • The Sea of Innocence
  • Counting Back From Nine
  • Sudden Death
  • The Crossover Year
  • Thursday at Noon
  • Yesterday's Dead
  • My Name Is Parvana (The Breadwinner, #4)
  • Heroes Proved (Peter Newman, #4)
  • Forsaken (Taylor Pasbury, #1)
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • Deadly Straits
  • The Twelfth Juror
  • That Wintry Feeling
  • Plummet
  • Blind Justice: A Novel of Suspense (Ben Kencaid, #2)
  • Last To Die (Jack Swyteck, #3)
  • Hard Rain (Vin Cooper, #3)
  • Sugar & Spice
Mark Gimenez left a major Dallas law firm in order to start his own solo practice and to write. He lives in Texas with his wife and two sons.
More about Mark Gimenez...
The Color of Law (Scott Fenney #1) The Abduction Accused (Scott Fenney #2) The Perk The Common Lawyer