Start by marking “The Loki Variation” as Want to Read:
The Loki Variation

The Loki Variation

Sasha is woken up in the middle of the night by the screams of a little girl she doesn't know, and suddenly finds herself trying to protect the child against the end of the world.

Derek's vacation hadn't even started when his dog saves him from something he could have never imagined. Using what little resources he has, he struggles to stay alive in an unfamiliar town teemi
Published (first published December 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Loki Variation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loki Variation

Tina
Nov 13, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Watch out George Romero The Loki Variation is a top notch book that I could see becoming the ultimate zombie movie! The action started immediately and kept me on the edge of my seat until the last page! Sabrina James Riley's descriptions were so vivid that I could visualize every scene with such clarity. This book needs to be put on the big screen!!!
Sasha finds herself protecting a young girl from creatures she could only have imagined in nightmares. I loved the parental bond she felt towards No
M. Mariz
Nov 30, 2012 M. Mariz rated it it was amazing
Right from the beginning The Loki Variation drew me in, as I saw the world through Sasha’s eyes and tried to piece together what was happening.
Well developed characters kept me engrossed in Sasha and Nora’s quest for survival. The suspense keeps you on edge, and the love triangles were a plus that kept the story moving forward as the characters true natures were revealed.
Fans of The Walking Dead will enjoy this carefully constructed, terrifying page-turner. I have to confess that I had a hard ti
Rachel (aka Ms4Tune)
I don't know why but this one took me a few months before I finally finished it. The story was good, the characters were at time interesting and there was a decent amount of nail biting angst, but I just didn't connect to the story. I found myself getting distracted and sometimes skim reading passages.

The Loki Variation is about a virus that transforms the infected humans into ravenous, hyper active, carnivorous monster. It spreads quickly across America. Sasha wakes up one night to find a youn
Mj Perfectionist
Nov 30, 2012 Mj Perfectionist rated it it was amazing
Kept me on the edge of my seat. A definite page turner. Had it downloaded to my phone and read it everywhere I went, even at stop lights. Great book!
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
I received a free copy of the book from the author for my honest opinion.

A young woman, Sasha is woken in the middle of the night to the sound of someone yelling. When she looks out the window she sees a little girl trying to climb the fence to get away from a woman that is trying to hurt her. Sasha being the person she is doesn't give any thought to herself she just runs right out there to save the little girl. Sasha is very brave and bold person that doesn't think about what could happen to he
Bri
Oct 10, 2014 Bri rated it it was amazing
What I liked: The Loki Variation started off differently than the other recent zombie books that I’ve read. It made it a bit more interesting, plus the zombies were different than most any other zombies I’ve read about. It amde them interesting. The characters that we know about besides Sanjeev all show an ability to survive themselves. Hud makes for an interesting anti-hero, he doesn’t show much concern or care with an ego to boost in the beginning. Sasha is fiery and strong-willed, determined ...more
Jagged
Apr 27, 2013 Jagged rated it really liked it
This was an awesome book. I couldn't put it down.
Very creepy. I liked how it was set up, it was very well thought out. And the execution was almost flawless. Almost. It took your typical elements from zombies and vampires and turned into something much better, darker, and much more conceivable.
There were some interesting editing flaws. Wrong character names, wrong tenses, "me" instead of "her", "his self" instead of "himself", among others. There was a whole sentence that was practically gibber
Roxanne Kade
Nov 01, 2014 Roxanne Kade rated it really liked it
It seems like I've been reading a lot of zombie novels lately, and I find them all to be very generic but with the author's added flare, so I was excited to see what was between the pages of this book.

It started off very much the same, with sudden disaster and disarray and people trying to come to terms with the fact that their world was falling apart around them, all the while wondering what the heck could have caused all the chaos.

I really enjoyed the science behind the zombie parasite and Sa
Angus
Feb 09, 2013 Angus rated it liked it
Sasha is a young woman newly on her own with her own apartment barely unpacked. Nora is a young girl of maybe eight or nine who has seen her mother turn into a cannibalistic monster. Sabrina rescues her in the parking lot of her apartment at the beginning of her world unraveling. Derek is a young call center worker visiting his Aunt Cheryl in Florida. His parents are on a cruise and he is just trying to remember how to sleep. His dog riley picks up on the strange vibes as a senior citizen runs D ...more
Allana Kephart
Oct 17, 2014 Allana Kephart rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews

Originally posted on Big Girls Heart Books

The Loki Variation by Sabrina James Riley is the story of a small group of survivors after an experiment, an experiment Sanjeev helped create, is leaked from the labs and spreads quickly across America. Our main characters are Sasha, Nora, Derek and Sanjeev, and while there are some other background characters, these four are where the story's at.

I am a huge zombie fan, and I feel there are not nearly enough out there to read. So when I saw the sign-ups
Adri
May 22, 2014 Adri rated it liked it
This book sucked me me in and kept me turning the pages. It reminded me a little of the movie I Am Legend with Will Smith. I liked the fact that the book had romance in it as well, not only panicked running from parasite infected human zombie types. I'm a firm belieVer that all books should contain a smattering of romance. I liked the little bit of science thrown into the backstory, since I like reading scientific articles about developments in genetics, nanotech and so forth. The fact that the ...more
Susan
Oct 20, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of zombie/end of the world fiction and I totally enjoyed reading this book. The characters are from all types of situations and find themselves fighting to survive family and friends turned monsters. Sasha is a young woman who I find to be sensible and caring....she wants to save as many survivors as possible while keeping herself and Nora, the little girl she saved. Derek and his dog, Ripley, narrowly escaped the monsters and are now on their way to a military installation hopin ...more
Kyra Dune
Sep 30, 2014 Kyra Dune rated it liked it
The Loki Variation is your standard zombie novel. A lab created virus accidentally leaks out, turning humans into bloodthirsty, mindless, monsters. A band of hardy humans soon join forces to face the danger together. The military man, the woman taking care of a kid she found, the nice guy, and a few random teenagers. Together, they travel in search of more survivors in the hopes of finding someplace unaffected by the virus.

If you like zombie novels, this one isn't a bad choice. The characters a
Thomas Hayes
Oct 31, 2013 Thomas Hayes rated it it was ok
Another made for TV book. At first it was a fun Halloween season read, then about a third of the way in it gets interesting but that never really goes anywhere. The writing is good but rushed and lower quality toward the end. The epilogue and advertisement for book two killed it for me. If you like a neatly wrapped up ending with a hint of an obvious follow up story then you will be fine with this one too.
Audrey
Dec 12, 2016 Audrey rated it really liked it
Very interesting story line with well done character development. I was particularly impressed with the small journal entries of the scientist intern scattered amongst the story line. Each time I came across one it made my brain work that much harder trying to figure out how it all happened in the beginning. Great read.
Heather Langston
Jun 24, 2014 Heather Langston rated it it was ok
This had an interesting twist to zombies. I liked the background on the Loki variation and how it came to be. My main problem with this book is the romantic aspect. It was kind of annoying and had me rolling my eyes and skimming through those parts. The action was pretty good though. Wasn't overly gory. I doubt I'd read again but it's all right for a one time read.
Delania
Delania rated it liked it
May 20, 2013
Ava Williamson
Ava Williamson rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2013
Gemma Baker
Gemma Baker rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Michele Wixsom
Michele Wixsom rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2012
Irena
Irena rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Sonali kesarkar
Sonali kesarkar rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Coleen
Coleen rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Steve Dorr
Steve Dorr rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Janis
Janis rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2013
Josie
Josie rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2013
Kay Dee
Kay Dee rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2012
Cassandra Hathaway
Cassandra Hathaway rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
I've been writing stories for as long as I can remember; I still have a few stories I wrote in crayon on construction paper that I had stapled together to make a book that my mother saved for me.

Luckily, I've come a long way from crayons and construction paper, and have been able to type up stories almost as fast as my mind can create them.

I'm also an insanely avid reader, and along with all the
More about Sabrina James Riley...