Start by marking “Dog Loves Drawing” as Want to Read:
Dog Loves Drawing

Dog Loves Drawing (Dog Loves)

Dog loves books, but one day he receives a strange one in the mail—it's blank! Soon, Dog realizes that this book is not for reading, but for drawing. Before long, Dog is doodling and drawing himself into a new world, full of friends and surprises.
Published August 14th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dog Loves Drawing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Loves Drawing

Charlotte Stevens
Jun 28, 2014 Charlotte Stevens rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely, witty story about Dog, who receives a sketch book from his Aunt Dora and begins to draw some wonderful images. He draws a door and enters onto the pages, drawing different characters to join in with his adventures. Dog and his new friends draw a train, a boat, lunch and decide to rest on the beach. They are having lovely adventures until Duck decided to draw a monster which chased Dog back out of the page and into his bookshop.
The book is extremely funny and I think it appeals
Kaethe
WE already knew thatDog Loves Books. So it won't come as much of a surprise when we see references to a whole slew of beloved children's books. There's some Harold and the Purple Crayon, some Where the Wild Things Are, some The Monster at the End of this Book. No doubt there are many more, but the book is at home, and these are all I can remember. It's a good book about drawing, and creativity, and it's beautifully done: I went back through it again to skip the text and just appreciate the diffe ...more
Myrza
Jun 17, 2012 Myrza rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5360-summer-12
The artist’s choice for bright colors grabs your attention in ““Dog Loves Drawing” by Louise Yates author and illustrator. Each color pencil drawing continued the story further and further. The childlike drawings give it a great touch; since the dog and his friends are suppose to be the ones drawing. The first drawings started really basic as if to suggest that the dog did not really now how to draw as hinted in the reading. The illustrations show lots of doodling (tally marks, circles, stars, h ...more
Mary
The dog from Dog Loves Books returns in this new book. Dog receives a book from his Aunt Dora, but discovers that there are no words or pictures in it. Accompanying the gift is a note from his aunt stating, "May the lines you draw open a door to some wonderful adventures." Dog gets out his drawing tools and the first thing he draws is a door. From there he draws some companions who help dog draw some fun adventures. I'm already thinking of some ideas for a storytime using this as one of the book ...more
The Library Lady
Dec 27, 2014 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Hmm...wonder if Dog has a copy of Harold and the Purple Crayon at that bookstore of his....
Michelle Gray
Just adorable! Can't wait to add this to a dog or art themed storytime!
Homegrown Reader
Dec 14, 2016 Homegrown Reader rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
It’s amazing the amount of time that little ones can spend drawing. Well, at least compared to the amount of time they spend doing anything else. Bug can sit for twenty minutes doing nothing but doodling. I find I no longer have that kind of patience. I need to be drawing something, have some sort of goal in mind. But Bug can just while away the time with swirls, scribbles, and zig zags. Dog seems to posses this trait as well. He becomes lost in not just appreciating someone’s creation (he loves ...more
Julie Barrett
Nov 22, 2016 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing
Dog loves books - Dog loves drawing - Dog loves counting - Dog loves fairy tales by Yates_ Louise
4 stories about a white puppy. Because he loves book so much he opens his own book store.
Next book is about the white puppy who gets a blank book-a book for drawing. His sketches comes to live.
Next is about counting sheep, and he finds numbers in everything he does...
Next his life is in a fairy tale...
Brittany
Jan 02, 2017 Brittany rated it did not like it
Too much...just too much.
Chris Hays
Oct 17, 2016 Chris Hays rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, teaching
This would be a great book to tie into many different parts of the school. Creativity and imagination come unbound once the dog gets his start with doodles. Great for libraries and art units, I enjoy the ending showing an extra bit of manners.
Carly
Oct 25, 2012 Carly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Dog Loves Drawing is such a funny little book, full of adventure, packed with silliness and not forgetting friendships! The storyline is brilliant, it is fast paced and lets little ones imaginations run wild. The amazing little illustrations will keep you highly entertained throughout. My daughter is a little artist, so she loved watching Dog's little doodles come to life when he stepped into the page. The authors writing is great, very engaging and extremely exciting. Dog Loves Drawing is a rea ...more
Alison
Jan 08, 2013 Alison added it
I love Dog!

We first met Dog when he loved books so much he opened up a bookstore in Dog Loves Books, which has become one of my staple book-gifts for children. In Louise Yates's new book, Dog receives a new book, a gift from his Aunt, but this one is blank!

Dog starts out with simple doodles, but soon enough the creative juices are flowing and he and his friends go on a journey reminiscent of Harold and the Purple Crayon. Dog had so much fun drawing and creating his own book, he even drew a spec
Tasha
Oct 04, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The charming dog from Dog Loves Books returns in this second story. When dog receives a blank book in the mail, he’s not sure what to do with it. Then he sees the note from his Aunt Dora that told him it was a sketchbook and wished him wonderful adventures. The first thing that Dog drew was a door, he walked through it and then drew a stickman and a duck. The duck drew an owl and the owl drew a crab. Then everyone started drawing until they wondered what else to do. Dog then drew a train and the ...more
Becky
Aug 07, 2016 Becky rated it it was amazing
First sentence: Dog loved books. He loved books so much that he opened his own bookshop.

Premise/plot: Dog receives a package from his Aunt Dora. It is a blank sketch book. Dog knows just what to do: he grabs his drawing supplies and draws a door. Not wanting to be alone, he draws some friends: a stick man and a duck. His drawings soon start drawing too. Soon they are joined by an owl and a crab. It is Owl's idea to go on an outing--and it is with the outing that the ADVENTURE begins. (They start
Dolly
Oct 05, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We read Dog Loves Books and I loved that Dog could become so engrossed in the books he read. So when we saw this book available at our local library, I just knew our girls would love it, since they love to draw.

This is a fun tale that depicts Dog, once again, becoming completely immersed in his activity, this time drawing. The story is fun and the illustrations are colorful and really complement the story nicely.

We really enjoyed reading this book together and we'll look for more books by Loui
Lil' Violet
Jun 26, 2013 Lil' Violet rated it it was amazing
This isn't a review for the fact that unlike Cinderella skeleton or zombie love this one isn't "geared" toward any reason for me to review it(beautiful art, cute details ect). But I had to comment on this. This book brought on some nostalgia for me See growing up I had a box set of books one of those books was " Mouse's magic paints: A first book for colors" (I was three or four at the time this book has a similar feel the artwork of Dog and his surroundings was well done and I loved the colorfu ...more
Treasure
Nov 19, 2012 Treasure rated it it was amazing
Picture books starring dogs are always a good idea, and this one is lovely. Dog loves to read (he even owns a book shop!) and when he receives the gift of a drawing pad, he quickly fills the pages with friends and they head off to adventures that spill all over the pages and practically right out of the book. Dog saves them all from a monster by drawing a door and then drawing locks to keep the monster out.
A great story for kids who love to draw and a fun story for adults to share with kids. Ad
Angie
Jul 25, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Oh ... Dog is back. And he gets to go on a fun adventure!

This could be a fun introduction to "writing" for little ones who don't quite have the letter formation/spelling/handwriting skills to express the stories their heads can create. They may not be able to write the word "train" but they can try drawing one. Practice expressing their stories whatever way they can express them will give them the confidence and skills to transfer over to writing when the time comes.

The book could also be used
Karen
Feb 28, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. He likes dogs and drawing.

I like this idea of this book. I just don't think it was executed well. For one thing, this book is too long -- it meanders. It is actually two books cobbled together, and not cleanly grafted.

For a better book about creative dogs, there is My Dog Thinks I'm a Genius. For a better book about the power of the imagination and a crayon in someone's hand, there is the classic, Harold and the Purple Crayo
Melanie
Dog loves books but he also loves drawing. When his aunt sends him a blank book Dog pulls out all of his crayons and colored pencils and gets to work. First he draws a door and goes through it. Then he draws a stick man to have someone to play with. Dog and the stick man doodle for awhile until they begin to draw other characters to have fun with. But things get out of hand when a duck decides to draw a monster. Dog quickly draws a door to get out. When he looks back at the book he is reassured ...more
Traci Bold
Oct 14, 2015 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love Louise Yates imaginative storytelling with her words and illustrations.

In DOG LOVES DRAWING, Dog wants an adventure but he has no one to share it with him until he draws a friend. This is when the story comes to life. With the help of his new friends and more, dog and his friends go on an adventure telling a fantastic story with it.

Thank you Aunt Dora for encouraging Dog with his unexpected gift from you.

An exceptional picture book to encourage young readers to use their creati
Ann
Oct 10, 2012 Ann rated it it was amazing
What happens when dog opens up a package from Aunt Dora? Given a splendid sketchbook, pens, pencils, brushes-tools to open up a new door Dog draws a stickman who was so much fun, he draws a duck. Duck drawls owl, owl draws crab and soon they are off on adventures riding on a train, rowing on a boat and eating drawn lunches. However, a drawn paradise island isn't what it's drawn out to be, especially when an unexpected guest materializes.
Jodie
Sep 08, 2012 Jodie rated it really liked it
A gift arrives for dog and it is a sketchbook. Not sure what to do he starts doodling and adding characters and adding scenes. The story is playful and the pictures are bright and fun. This story would work well with many different levels of students. One idea is to share it during art class as a way to show a starting point. Where do ideas come from? Writing is brainstorming and art is doodling.
Bridget R. Wilson
Dog of Dog Loves Books is back. He still loves books, but one day his aunt Dora sends him a present, a sketchbook. Dog soon discovers another love--drawing.

What I thought: Another hit from Louise Yates. Dog is still lovable. The adventures he takes with his new sketchbook are so imaginative. I think Dog Loves Drawing will encourage children to go on drawing adventures of their own. All the illustrations are great. I can't pick a favorite.

Story Time Themes: Dogs, Art
Katie
Jul 26, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
Read at 'We're the Heroes of Our Story' story time :p - 7/25/15
(aka: drawing & writing story time)

A cute story about Dog doodling his own world and interacting with it. It is a more accessible/young-child-friendly version of the Harold and the Purple Crayon idea.

I used this book to introduce our 'creating a book' craft

Cute, bright illustrations. Some chances for identification and guessing what comes next in the story. The children love the 'what duck drew' surprise.
Shelli
Dec 15, 2014 Shelli rated it it was amazing
Dog Loves Drawing is an imaginative and fun read about Dog who becomes immersed in his sketchbook, stepping into another world as he draws. The illustrations are simple yet adorable. Lousie Yates created three dimensional characters within a one dimensional landscape. This would be a fantastic read aloud to share with your kiddo or a classroom full of them. Children will be racing to grab their own paper and pencils and start creating. Loved it!
Sandy Brehl
Dog loves books and has a books store (Dog Loves Books, Yates) but he receives a blank book, a sketch book from his aunt. Lovely preparation begins with labeled tools, then a wild adventure ensues (think of Harold and the Purple Crayon on steroids). A wonderful title to pair with the Harold titles, with Reynolds Creatrilogy titles, with Doodler Doodling (Gelman/Zelinsky), and so many others celebrating imagination.
Matthew
Jan 16, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing
I love Louise Yates books about what Dog loves. Dog Loves Books was wonderful. I was expecting Dog Loves Drawing to not quite hit the mark but it exceeded my expectations. There were moments in the book where you really needed to grasp onto your imagination to have the theme continue without fully falling into the absurd but the illustrations help pull you through those moments. Great book.
Meg Allison
Sep 09, 2012 Meg Allison rated it liked it
 May the lines you draw open a door to some wonderful adventures.

Inspired to doodle, precocious dog unleashes his creativity and creates an adventure reminiscent in parts of Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are, Weisner's The Three Little Pigs and Johnson's Harold and the Purple Crayon and yet wholly unique.
Mary Ann
When Dog receives a blank journal in the mail, Dog is a bit curious. He draws a door and steps through it. As with Harold, each thing that Dog draws comes to life, showing young readers how their creativity can bring them to new places. Dog draws himself a few friends to join him, and they set off on an adventure that’s sure to bring giggles and gasps. A true delight.
  • Mousterpiece