Start by marking “I Like Old Clothes” as Want to Read:
I Like Old Clothes

I Like Old Clothes

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  70 reviews
I like old clothes, / Hand-me-down clothes, / Worn outgrown clothes, / Not-my-own clothes. . . . Originally published by Knopf in 1976 (with illustrations by Jacqueline Chwast), this poem—an exuberant celebration of hand-me-down clothes—is just as relevant and accessible today as it was over 30 years ago. Children's Poet Laureate Mary Ann Hoberman offers a bouncy, fun-to-r ...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about I Like Old Clothes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Like Old Clothes

Tatiana
Originally published in 1976, Hoberman's sweet ode to "old clothes / hand-me-down clothes / worn outgrown clothes / not-my-own clothes" still resonants in today's economic climate. The adorably rendered children in I Like Old Clothes are happy with their second-hand clothing; in fact, they love the mystery and history that comes with each piece. It's a refreshing tale of sharing and appreciation for what one has, as well as domestic recycling. I love the way the clothing is assigned a past--and ...more
babyhippoface
Illustrated by Patrice Barton = WIN.

This book is a celebration of hand-me-downs and outgrown clothes, appreciated by a little girl with an active imagination and an appreciation for the what-ifs and maybes of old clothes. Who owned this party dress? What was she like? How old was she? Did she look good in this? This girl wonders and plays and loves all the worn, faded pieces that someone else loved before.

Are there many kids out there like this little girl? Beats me. I don't think I know any. Bu
Kathryn
So cute! A warm and loving ode to "old clothes"--highly recommended to those who might have a hard time accepting hand-me-downs or thrift store finds. Love this little girl's imagination as she thinks of where her clothes were before. Adorable illustrations, too.
Melissa
I read this one with my son*. This was a lovely poem story dealing with a young girl who loves old clothes. She wonders about who has worn them, where they have been, and what wonderful things were done when the last little girl (or sometimes boy) wore them. This was cute and light. Both my son and I loved the illustrations. My son kept asking me what would happen to his old clothes and how he loves his clothes.

I thought that this was a great story especially with today's economic and environme
Peacegal
...and I cannot lie. This is a rhyming celebration of thrift shopping.
Paula
“I like old clothes” is reiterated again and again in this re-issue of Mary Ann Hoberman’s 1976 poem, but with new illustrations by Patrice Barton that are an ideal match for the rhyming text. An inspired girl and her little brother celebrate the wonder of hand-me-downs as they play dress up. She imagines all sorts of scenarios and previous wearers as she re-fashions party dresses and plays in mended clothes. The text has a nice flow as it shows them trying on clothes that were shown on the open ...more
Betsy Brainerd
Made me remember how much I loved receiving my cousins' hand-me-down dresses. What a great subversive message for our children drowning in consumer culture. The illustrations are strikingly cheerful and incorporate different fabrics into the background. Love it.
Deborah
"Clothes with a history,
Clothes with a mystery,
Sweaters and shirts
that are brother-and-sistery."

Just the right message, with soft illustrations which—appropriately—incorporate little recycled, collaged bits of fabric textures and patterns, and notions.
Richie Partington
Richie's Picks: I LIKE OLD CLOTHES by Mary Ann Hoberman and Patrice Barton, ill. Knopf, August 2012, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-375-86951-4

“Do you have a shirt that you really love,
One that you feel so groovy in?
You don’t even mind if it starts to fade,
That only makes it nicer still.”
--Donovan

Check out my Facebook page or the Richie’s Picks website. See that flannel shirt I’m wearing? It is the softest, most comfortable, most wonderful thing in the whole world. I’ll never forget how head over heels I was
This was originally published in 1976, but is being reissued this summer with new illustrations by Patrice Barton. I don't remember the original, but this version is certainly delightful.

The poem, by Mary Ann Hoberman, is especially appropriate at this time in my house. The girls have been wearing a lot of hand-me-downs, recycled clothes, and DIY clothes. Much like the kids in the book, they think it's kind of fun to take something and make it their own (or have mom make it into something new -
Tasha
Celebrate reusing clothes along with this book’s radiant narrator. She’s a little girl who simply loves old clothes, especially those that come from other people. She wears them for dress-up, but also on just regular days. She loves clothes with patches that used to be too-good for play and are now just right. There are also some clothes that she changes a bit to make them her own. It’s the faded, broken-in and comfortable clothes she loves. Don’t you too?

Hoberman’s rhyming verse has a sweet pla
Red Balloon Bookshop
I like old clothes and old books, too! Originally published in 1976, former Children's Poet Laureate Mary Ann Hoberman's I Like Old Clothes has resurfaced in this new publication.

The imaginative narrator of the story, a spirited little girl, creatively plays with the history and mystery behind all her hand-me-down clothes. The girl's enthusiasm is contagiously spread through Hoberman's light-hearted and clever verse. Patrice Barton's novel watercolor illustrations are more than welcome as she we
Michelle
sweet pictures with nice texture, a good story for kids like mine who inherit lots of hand-me-downs!
Melissa
I fell in love with this book! The whole idea of the book is to appreciate old clothes, whether hand-me-downs or vintage or thrift store. I would recommend it to all children and moms to read to them!
Jill Cd
Cute story about hand me downs.
Kristina Lareau
Barton's mixed media sketches are delightful. The pastels are and browns give the entire book a vintage feel and Hoberman's text of the story offers a love story to used clothes. Thrift-store lovers and dresser-uppers will enjoy the story. All the illustrations are layered and textured and patterned. To some it may feel hodge-podgish, but to me they seem to work well to create eclectic and cozy imagery. After reading this, I want to find some old clothes and see what I can make...
Angie
As someone who grey up with hand-me-downs and who shops at thrift stores I can really appreciate this ode to old clothes. There is nothing better than finding that treasure in the thrift store or getting a bag of free clothes from someone who thought you might want them. The little girl in this book is adorable as she tries on a variety of old clothes. She wonders who wore them before and what they did in them. The illustrations are lovely and the story is a winner.
A.K. Klemm
I Like Old Clothes is genius. Growing up with hand-me-downs from my sister who is 6 years older and rarely more than 6 months ahead of me in size, hand-me-downs were a pretty exciting part of life. As an adult, I’m a huge fan of thrift stores and passing things amongst friends. I like the worn in feel, I like the faded colors, I like the history...

Read my full review here: http://anakalianwhims.wordpress.com/2...
Monica
Lovely book and sentiment. Growing up as the 5th daughter in my family, I not only donned my sisters' hand-me-downs, but every once in a while was bequeathed a treasure box of them by the neighbors. I love the imaginative element Hoberman brought into the life of an older garment. If I had read this as a child, my delight would have amplified to limitless proportions. Who knew clothing held such exciting and mysterious lives!
I think this would be a great story for a child who lacks confidence because he or she gets a lot of second-hand or hand-me-down clothes. Students might feel self conscious about what they are wearing but this story can make them see that even that can be an adventure! Because of all the different clothes in the story it would be a great book for students to practice their describing words as well.
Whitney Peck
This is by far my new favorite picture book! Not only is the artwork beautifully soft and colorful, the story itself is touching and close to my heart. I personally have always loved fun and random old clothes that pass from friend to family member and this book may also be a great comfort and inspiration to those children who have no choice but to wear hand-me-downs.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Poetry in a picture book. The illustrations are beautiful! I love the use of cloth for floors, buildings, clothes, backgrounds, etc. The button flowers and tape measure floor caught my eye as well. The layer is smoothly done that it is noticable, but not loud. The textures, patterns, and colors blend together for wonderfully soft images.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Kate
I loved this book. The poetry and images really worked for me. I can see reading this book as part of a storytime and using it to talk about recycling and reusing items. There's something great about a book that celebrates a necessity that is sometimes stigmatized and I love that this book celebrates thrift over waste.
JaNeal
For a mother who has appreciated and passed on a fair number of hand-me-downs, this book was cozy and comfortably "worn." Hoberman writes with more than words--sounds and images are the palette of this author-poet (former children's poet laureate). The illustrations have a warm and comfy texture as well.
Kristen
I thought this book was cute and am thinking I might use it in my clothing story time. The illustrations are wonderful. I'm curious to see what actual children think when confronted with this book--is it one that they would enjoy, or one they might find a bit boring? I'm just really not sure.
Tracie
Originally published in 1976, new, richly textured collage-style illustrations by Patrice Barton freshen up the gently rhymed text by former Children's Poet Laureate Hoberman. This warm and exuberantly enthusiastic story will help children wear hand-me-downs with pride.
Danica Midlil
It was trying to be so positive, yet the text kept pointing out all the downsides to wearing second-hand clothes. "Skirts with the line of a let-down hem" and I can't help feeling that pointing out all their flaws makes wearing hand-me-downs less appealing.
Dawn
If you are a 'thrift' shopper and have little ones who adore doing that kind of second-hand shopping with you--this is a cute rhyming book to read and share! 'I like old clothes. I really do. Clothes with a history, clothes with a mystery...'
Dawn Rutherford
A sweet little ragtag book that captures the fun and textures of used clothes in its pictures and poetry. Not sure it would convince a child of the superiority of used clothing, but it certainly shares an understanding of its charms.
  • Dog Loves Drawing
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • A Leaf Can Be...
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Good News, Bad News
  • Meet Me at the Moon
  • Bawk & Roll
Work with her local Connecticut chapter of the Literacy Volunteers of America inspired her to create this series of books to encourage reading. She enjoys reading with her grandchildren.
More about Mary Ann Hoberman...
The Seven Silly Eaters The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems A House Is a House for Me You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Stories to Read Together Miss Mary Mack