Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  42 reviews
A charming collection of updated recipes for both classic and forgotten cakes, from a timeless yellow birthday cake with chocolatebuttercream frosting, to the Christmas standard, Bûche deNoël, written by a master baker and coauthor ofRustic FruitDesserts.

Cakes are central to the way we celebrate, whether that celebrationis a birthday, a wedding, or just a warm summer eveni...more
Published July 31st 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2012)

Kathy
Yum,yum,yum....I want the Pink Cake on Page 121 and I want it now! Chocolate cake with a raspberry butter cream icing...looks and sounds divine. In fact every cake in this delightful new cookbook is divine.

The cookbook is divided into several sections:

Hasty Cakes
Everyday Cakes
Little Cakes and Light Cakes
Flips and Rolls
Layer Cakes
Fillings, Frostings and Icings

The book starts off basic tips and techniques for cakes which will be helpful for every baker, new or old. The first recipe in the b...more
Shandra
I didn't read this cover to cover, as it is a cookbook, but I read various sections and perused recipes and pictures, and it's a very charming book. There are a few recipes I am definitely going to try, and some that I am dubious about, which is usual for me, as I'm not the most adventurous when it comes to new foods. I was surprised to learn that cakes were sweeter in the early 1900s. I would've thought, with America's raging sweet tooth (and I'm included there), that desserts would be sweeter...more
Michelle Atkins
This book is heaven! Oh, you haven't read it yet? You bet your sweet batter you butter get crackalackin! These cakes are delicious and you NEED this book in your cookin library. Highly recommended!
Heather
While interesting (I particularly loved the names- like the Watergate cake), I was disappointed by sparse amount of pictures. I've never seen or heard of most of the cakes, so I think visuals would have been nice. Also, I would have liked longer blurbs about the history of the cakes and their names.
Becky
Jan 22, 2013 Becky rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like to bake
I am not a fan of cookbooks that don't have at least one picture for each recipe. A lot of these recipes sounded very tasty, but I am just not that motivated to make them when I can't see what they'll look like. This book did have some good baking tips though.
Jennie
Finding this book at my local library was a treat as I will soon be adding it to my own. Lovely gloss photos of delicious cakes, flips and rolls with real ingredients. Can't wait to try out these recipes. Something for everyone's taste. Must read!
Heather
Vintage Cakes is the kind of book that should be really appealing to me. Julie Richardson, who owns Baker & Spice Bakery in Portland, Oregon, inherited the contents of an old filing cabinet from the previous bakery that was in the space Baker & Spice now inhabits. As she writes in the introduction to this book, that filing cabinet turned out to be
"a gold mine of baking formulas, journals, and magazines dating back to the 1920s. These were gems from a time when a cup cake was a "cup cake,
Crown Publishing Group
A charming collection of updated recipes for both classic and forgotten cakes, from a timeless yellow birthday cake with chocolate buttercream frosting, to the new holiday standard, Gingerbread Icebox Cake with Mascarpone Mousse, written by a master baker and coauthor of Rustic Fruit Desserts.

Make every occasion—the annual bake sale, a birthday party, or even a simple Sunday supper—a celebration with this charming collection of more than 50 remastered classics.

Each recipe in Vintage Cakes is a c...more
Lindsey
A great comprehensive dessert cookbook that is easy to understand and use. The beautiful photography tries to re-create yet update vintage photographs, exactly how the she approaches the book's contents. Richardson makes the excellent decision to re-create/update vintage recipes--instead of using canned ingredients and box mixes, she alters the recipes to reflect her focus on local and seasonal ingredients, recreating and improving the desserts from scratch. What makes this a five star baking bo...more
kimberly
lovely book with beautiful images (though not enough of them! drives me batty when a recipe doesn't have a picture). an amazon review noted that they were "blurry", which made me chuckle - i'm pretty sure the blurriness was more to add to the 'vintage' feel. can't attest to the "vintage"-ness of the recipes themselves, as she does seem to take (and confess to) a liberal number of changes in almost every recipe.

made the berry long cake with ginger crumb for a potluck at work and it was delicious!...more
Douglas Hitzel
This book just came out and presents some strong candidates for classic cakes done in a delicious manner. Biggest plus: variety and well written directions. Biggest flaw: measurements not provided in grams for those of us who weigh. Overall I recommend this book to new and more experienced bakers alike.
Amy Paasch
Every recipe so far has been fantastic. I think you need a little baking experience to execute the cakes, but it is a great cookbook.
Lisa
can i just say yummmmm!! i would make and eat everything in this book wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jenn

not enough pictures of the finished cakes
Karen
I read Vintage Cakes like a novel. While I have yet to make any of the recipes, I trust they're going to be awesome because I bake frequently from Rustic Fruit Desserts by Richardson and Cory Schreiber and always with tasty results.
I tend to gravitate to cupcakes, tortes, quick cakes, and such because making layer cakes intimidates me but after reading Vintage Cakes I feel inspired to give it a go. Lane Cake I'm coming for you!
Christina
Yum. Recommend the Texas Sheet Cake, which has only its size in common with Texas. The result is actually really close to these packaged brownies I used to buy from the cafeteria cart in high school, but tastier and not loaded with weird preservatives. There are lots of other tasty looking things in here as well - as well as things that are probably tasty but which had no photos. Cookbooks should always have photos.
Sandie
I have made the coffee crunch cake twice in the past week. It was such a hit the first it was requested again. Was it wasy? Yes, very much so. You do need a candy thermometer though to make the coffee flavored honecomb. This recipe will be made again and again and I am already thinking of the variations I will make out of it.
I made the gingerbread cake and hated it. Threw it in the garbage.

AdultNonFiction Teton County Library
TCL Call# 641.8653 Richardson J

Suzanne - 5 stars
Well if you don't like to bake, this might change your mind. A whole book of cakes that your grandma might have made! Hard to resist the fabulous photos and total disregard for gluten, dairy or all things cooked. That being said, the sculptural edibles are hard to resist. Have made 3 so far and each was a magical, caloric wonder! sigh!

This is a really great book if you like to bake! The cakes range from easy to quite complicated, but the instructions are easy and the author gives lots of guidance on the times, etc. She also gives a lot of tips for turning out, prepping, etc and each recipe includes some history.

My only problem is that it's too short! But this is really worth the investment if you love to bake.
Shonda Wilson
I wanted to find some unique cakes for baking since it is a hobby and this book did the trick. There are some great recipes inside with very thorough instructions and nice illustrations to give you an idea of what the cake should look like upon completion. I like the book overall, some of the recipes are a bit involved, but one would assume so due to the type of cakes.
Mk
I love this book! I've made at least 10 cakes from it and each one has been great. The coffee crunch spiral is my favorite so far. Or maybe the Honey Bee cake, Or...? Julie has updated the recipes, using the type of ingredients I feel good about using, with a focus on taste and ease of use. The instructions are clearly written. Now, which one to make next?
Becky R.
The cakes in this book are so pretty and reminiscent of times in the past. I didn't really like the chocolate ganache recipe (chocolate chips and cream, which ended up tasting too much like the chips and not the rich chocolatey taste we were hoping for), but some of the recipes were really fun.
Gina Enk

Richardson writes these recipes in an approachable style that makes it seem as if anyone can make a roll cake or even a fancy layer cake. With her recipes, my celebrations will look a lot more polished and are sure to have everyone looking forward to dessert!
Kathryn
Oh what fun this cookbook is, filled with cake, cupcake coffee cakes and more kinds of recipes. Many of them I recognized and several I'd not run across before. It was very fun. I only wished there were more pictures.
Jan 31, 2013 Jennifer added it
Shelves: food
Checked this out of the library to give it the once-over. Definitely saw some cakes I want to make -- especially in the roll-up category. Will buy on deep discount or check out from the library again.
Ashley Dallas
Amazing amazing amazing, cakes are absolutely delicious and disappear quickly-everybody seems to love them :) Icings are great too. My favourite so far from this book is the shoo-fly pie in cake form. Yum!
Stacy
Aug 22, 2012 Stacy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Good for novice bakers who want to emulate the good stuff grandma used to make. If I had a kitchen, I'd go buy some bundt pans and parchment paper RIGHT NOW.
Dana
Oct 07, 2013 Dana added it
Yum! Got this from the library on a whim and am inspired. If anyone wants to bake me a goober cake for my birthday, it's in here, just sayin' ...
Claire
A beautiful book of tried and true, delicious and charming cakes. Each recipe is an inspiration the hardest part is what to try first.
Heidi
The pictures are amazing! Beautiful layout. I like how easy it is to read and the layout of the recipe is nice for prep.
Favorite Recipes 1 2 Jun 15, 2013 08:05AM
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • Bouchon Bakery
  • The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook : More Than 100 Recipes From the Best Little Bakery In the South
  • Home Made Winter
  • Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes, & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • Nigellissima: Instant Italian Inspiration
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza
Horse Tack: The Complete Equipment Guide For Riding And Driving Horses And Ponies Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More The Triple Bottom Line: Does It All Add Up?: Assessing the Sustainability of Business and CSR The Triple Bottom Line: Does It All Add Up