Start by marking “Home Again” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  14,965 Ratings  ·  745 Reviews
Madelaine Hillyard is a world-famous heart surgeon at the top of her game. Her personal life is far less successful. A loving but overworked single mom, she is constantly at odds with her teenage daughter. At sixteen, Lina is confused, angry, and fast becoming a stranger to her mother—a rebel desperate to find the father who walked away before she was born. Complicating ma ...more
Published 2012 by Ballantine Books Trade Paperbacks (first published 1996)

Beccalarge
Jul 03, 2012 Beccalarge rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uggg....Kristin Hannah. I thought I would give her another chance. I have read books by her that have drawn me in, that have been well written and beautiful (Firefly Lane, Winter Garden), books that made me think she could really write.

And then I read books written by her that made me cringe a little and think of a bad, overly sappy Lifetime movie. But this one? This book? I couldn't even finish it. And I NEVER stop reading a book once I start (unless it gets so vulgar I can't keep reading). But
Miz
This book was exactly what I needed to read. Little did I know when I started it that I would devour it in under 24 hours, and at times my face would be damp from tears that unwittingly fell onto the screen of my ebook.

By page 20 I knew what was going to happen, but the foreshadowing didn’t lessen the impact of what came next. The characters were so rich that I felt genuine warmth for them all and loved their character development. The one upset for me, and it’s very minor, is that I didn’t rea
Annika
Jun 20, 2011 Annika rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
About 1/3 of the way into this book, I predicted it. I stuck with it, because it's not a terrible story (I've read waaaay worse), but it's so fluffy and cheesy that it's almost painful to read. And I was right, the author didn't surprise me with some snappy twist ala Jodi Picoult. She just finished her merry little story. I'm glad I don't cry easily.

Angel Demarco is this world famous actor, nominated for an Oscar, but he keeps saying he's not that great of an actor. He causes mass riots and pres
Chana Snyder
Dec 13, 2012 Chana Snyder rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OMG, no. Full stop. I got through about a third of this book before I lost my patience and dropped it to the floor. A few things I'm glad for: 1) that I didn't pay for the book; 2) that I don't live (or know anyone who does) in the emotionally warped world that the author's constructed here. What a train wreck!

Has any of these characters matured at all during the course of their adult lives? Why does that seem like such an unreasonable request? What really dropped my jaw was when another review
Angel
Jul 23, 2012 Angel rated it liked it
I'm usually a big fan of Kristin Hannah, but Home Again just didn't do it for me. The idea of the book seemed promising, but Kristin Hannah just didn't deliver. The whole story of the heart surgery and the family dramas just didn't seem real to me. How am I supposed to believe that you would still fall in love with the same man who broke your heart so many years ago? Sure, people should be allowed second chances, but forgiving someone for running out of your life without as much saying goodbye w ...more
Leslie
Amy
Nov 27, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, fiction
This was the first Kristin Hannah book that really let me down. I think this could have been a much better book than it was, the story arch was great, but the characters were flat and transparent. i also found myself disliking the whiny nature of every character in this book. is it possible for every character in a story to be this boring and irritating?
i've read worse, but i have also read better. this book gets 3 stars for the mediocrity of everything between the front and back covers. some st
Susana Guerra
Jul 13, 2012 Susana Guerra rated it really liked it
Gina
Jul 27, 2012 Gina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

5 / 5

Kristin Hannah does it again! Another wonderful story filled with hope & love. The story was wrapped in a very neat & tidy little package. Some might say, a little too good to be true but I was more than fine with that.

In true Kristin Hannah form, this is another "grab the Kleenex!" story. Her characters are so well developed (I adored Francis in this book) and you will most certainly feel their hurt, feel their loss, want to give them a hug and then cheer them on. I thou
Tanya
Mar 13, 2011 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness. I don't think I've enjoyed a book more in the past year or so as much as I did this book! I started to need the Kleenex close to half way into the book and went through about 3 boxes! It's a great book that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy in the inside! GREAT BOOK! =)
Ceshia
Aug 11, 2016 Ceshia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story plot was very predictable. Good, easy read.
Liza Wiemer
An enjoyable story of family, forgiveness, redemption and second chances. I love getting lost in a Kristin Hannah novel.
Meital Ben-Daniel
Apr 04, 2017 Meital Ben-Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-saga
A beautiful novel by one of my favorite authors - Kristin Hannah.
The book delves into relationships, lost and found, intertwined with the complex relationship of Madelaine, a working single mom and a troubled teenage-daughter, Lina.
Lots of ups and downs tinged with many little surprises in the plot.
I couldn't put it down !!! A special place in my heart for this one ! Thanks Kristin Hannah! Keep writing....
Asha Viguurs
I've read this book before but I have to admit: I thought it was better. Or maybe I've changed in the meantime. It's ok but a bit cheesy at times. So 3 stars.
Linda K. Melzer
Mar 15, 2017 Linda K. Melzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, heartwarming novel.

First let me say that Kristen Hannah is one of my favorite writers. This is such a touching novel that once I even cried. The characters are so human and filled with emotion. The storyline is realistic. It is filled with life changing scenarios. The only criticism I have is that it seems a bit disjointed which was disappointing. Altogether though I highly recommend it.
Penny
Feb 18, 2017 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Kristin Hannah! This is a memorable story of love and forgiveness. This a must read for anyone who wants to feel good after they finish the book. Hannah is perfect at digging into her characters personalities. Always keep a box of kleenex at your side when reading her books, they are powerful and emotionally charged.
preppea
I thought the premise of the story was interesting - childhood sweethearts reunite when the guy, a famous movie star, needs a heart transplant and the girl is his assigned cardiologist.

I thought the perspective of the cardiologist in particular though, was completely unbelievable and was used more to keep the reader in suspense then a realistic portrayal of a single mom. If she really did think that way, then she was extremely self-absorbed, seeing as how her daughter was asking to meet her fat
Rhonda Rae Baker
May 20, 2009 Rhonda Rae Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kristin Hannah is one of my favorite authors!

This book was picked up at a yard sale for 50 cents and what an amazing treasure it turned out to be. I couldn't put it down...LOL.

I loved the characters and was quickly feeling what was happening in their lives as Kristin writes so dramatically. There were many twists and turns that came together in beautiful ways. I was crying more then laughing on this one but it warmed my heart and somehow I feel encouraged.

Life is hard...turns come at us with no
Karen & Gerard
This book is about second chances. It's about Madeline, a single mom who is a cardiologist for her first love, Angel, who needs a heart transplant and how his brother the priest took care of Madeline and her daughter in his brother's absence. The daughter yearns to know her dad, the mother is afraid he will break her heart, the priest falls in love with Madeline but wants to do the right thing and Angel is a famous, rich actor living life in the fast lane until he has a third heart attack and wi ...more
Cathy
Feb 10, 2010 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this was a good book.

Angel had myocardidis as a child, and now as an adult has to have a heart transplant. Now he reluctanly has to change his lifestyle if he wants to 1) get a new heart and 2) live alot longer. Now Angel finds out that his cardiologist is a girl friend from high school he basicly dumped and ran away from.

Personaly, as an adult I had myocardidis, I didn't have to have a heart transplant; although it is a life changing illness and can be very scarey. I've read two of Kristin
Christy
Oct 11, 2012 Christy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was too predictable and overly emotional. I have read most of Kristen Hannah's books, and was looking forward to this. I then realized it was one of her older ones and she hadn't perfected her suspense and her nuance in dealing with human interactions. The premise was ok but the characters overwritten. I predicted every single twist and turn in this book. It was also very unrealistic. I understand she had a storyline to fit into the timeline, however they just didn't match up despite a ...more
Anne
May 30, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light read about Madeline, a cardiologist, her friend, Francis, who is a priest, and Francis' brother, Angel, who is famous but has no real life. Angel suffers a serious heart problem and needs a transplant.

A couple of good quotes: (1)"Maybe it's divine intervention that brought us here in the first place. Maybe that's all that God's supposed to do, point us on a road and wait. The road's there, it's always there, through the wind and the rain and the snow." (2)"Nobody's strong enough to be a pa
Tiffany Mercer
Oct 22, 2015 Tiffany Mercer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved the story. I didn't realize the book was written so long ago, but it was very entertaining & it sucked me in. It was a quick read too! My only complaint was how Angel immediately stepped into the father role and started disciplining Lina. It seemed unnatural that he wouldn't hesitate to come down on her even though she was a typical spoiled, bratty teenager! My favorite part was how Francis was involved all the way through the end. I loved how the family still communicated with ...more
Cheryl
Aug 05, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really like Kristin Hannah, but this book was hard for me to read. Too much of the same story again and again, characters that do and say the same things again and again, reactions that are the same again and again - - - -well, you get the idea. Plus, I found the whole idea of the heart business and Angel's subsequent personality more than a little ludicrous. The only spot where I could see my "real" Kristin Hannah was in the character of Francis, particularly toward the end of the book - - -I ...more
June
Dec 04, 2012 June rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Home Again is a very touching story about three people and how they've touched each other's lives. I found it a little predictable a couple of times but overall it was a book I couldn't abandon. Kristin Hannah is a very good storyteller and I always get excited when I come across one of her books that I haven't read. I would highly recommend you to read it. Some funny times and some crying times, but always touching.
Mina
Jul 03, 2012 Mina rated it liked it
Kristin Hannah tends to be chick-lit-ish beachy reads. But entertaining ones. I often appreciate the way she handles relationships of all sorts. This was not one of her best, a little more on the soap opera side than some. But still a nice diversion, kept my interest. Got me half-way through a funeral trip.

(I can't figure out this particular cover. Unless it happens after the action of the book. Which would be odd. Not that it really matters.)
Kryptique
Apr 23, 2012 Kryptique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good!! Hannah writes at the start of this book that it marked a turning point for her in quality of writing. It became deeper and more emotionally gripping. I concur!! Her earlier works are ok, not bad but not really my ideal. This is more like Picoult---bringing me to tears every few chapters, but in a good way. More vivid writing and showing deep emotion, less formulaic and predictable, deeper characters who are more real.
Melissa
Sep 08, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you tear up over and over does that mean that it was a good book? At least this time I will say YES! There was a while there with Father Francis when I was nervous about the direction it might take, but that worked itself out. I also am not a very forgiving type when it comes to betrayal so it took me a while to get over Angel's selfishness and immaturity. By the last page I was with the program and willing to go where the author was taking us.
Sally
Aug 08, 2012 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally...an earlier Kristin Hannah book that I just LOVED!

About 3 chapters in, I felt completely swept into this story and the characters' lives. I related to the rebellious, yet hurting teen girl, I felt like I was a part of the special friendship between two of the characters and my heart ached for the loneliness of the heroin.

I cried during so much of this book and my heart felt full when their hearts were full.

well done.
Melissa
Apr 14, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry like a baby in the middle and I was not expecting it at all. I thought I was picking up a light fluffy read but I loved the relationship between Frances and the other three main characters and how he tied everything together.
  • With Love
  • Summer People
  • Cloud Nine
  • Between Friends
  • Beach Trip
Kristin Hannah is the New York Times bestselling author of twenty-one novels, including the blockbuster Firefly Lane and #1 bestsellers Night Road and Home Front. She is a former lawyer turned writer and is the mother of one son. She lives in the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii with her husband.
More about Kristin Hannah...

“But it had gotten so boring, all that crying and wanting and needing. This year she'd realized that she'd never be like her mom, and the realization had freed her. She stopped trying to get good grades and make good friends, and do everything well. She had flourished in her rebellion, reveled in it.” 5 likes
“Love meant always being a little afraid.” 5 likes