Start by marking “The Colour Of Magic” as Want to Read:
The Colour Of Magic

The Colour Of Magic (Discworld #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  187,607 Ratings  ·  5,325 Reviews
In the beginning there was…a turtle.

Somewhere on the frontier between thought and reality exists the Discworld, a parallel time and place which might sound and smell very much like our own, but which looks completely different. Particularly as it’s carried though space on the back of a giant turtle (sex unknown). It plays by different rules.

But then, some things are the sa
Published June 21st 2012 by Corgi (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Colour Of Magic, please sign up.

Francesca Caleffi No it isn't!I don't think a kid would be able to understand all the wit and the scarcastic comments between the lines
GG Many of the books are stand alones, but some, like Moist von Lipwig's journey (Going Postal, Making Money, Raising Steam) is better read in an arc.

Mark Lawrence
Jan 27, 2016 Mark Lawrence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't reviewed this because I read it so long ago that all I can remember is I loved it.

I'll take our very old and battered copy (bought in 1987) to the hospice this weekend when I go with Celyn and see if I can't refresh my memory.

RIP, Sir Terry.

'DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING,' said Death, 'JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.'

So - to the review!

I've just read this in slightly over 24 hours ... which is extraordinary for me. I normally take a month to read a book.

It is, to be
David "proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party"
Reading The Color of Magic is akin to eating an entire bowl of ice cream just a little too fast...sure, it may cause your head to hurt at times, but the sweet rewards make it all worth it!

Filled with ambitious wizards and ruthless assassins, the city of Ankh-Morpork has survived many dangers in the past, but now it faces an even more destructive force...TOURISM!!! When a rich but bored outsider named Twoflower decides to explore the city in search for adventure, it soon becomes an adventure for
Brad
Before picking it up, I'd heard that The Colour of Magic was funny. Now that can mean just about anything because, let's face it, comedy is the most subjective of arts.

Funny is a deeply personal thing. The "funny peculiar" and the "funny ha-ha" might not be the same from person to person or even to the same person depending on their mood or their place in life. So knowing something is funny ahead of reading it really doesn't tell me much.

I'd read Terry Pratchett's & Neil Gaiman's Good Omen
Lindsey Rey
Dec 24, 2015 Lindsey Rey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
I will officially be reading the entire Discworld series!
Jamie
Aug 01, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure people have told me about Pratchett and his Diskworld series before, usually working in the phrase "He's the Douglas Adams of fantasy" into the description. But the problem was that I always felt that I had had enough of Adams after the third Hithiker's Guide to the Galaxy book, and whenever I scanned Pratchett's section in the bookstore I was immediately put off by not knowing where to start reading among the approximately five hundred thousand Diskworld books. I'm glad I finall ...more
J.G. Keely
Oct 28, 2007 J.G. Keely rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tried to start him at the beginning, as many of my dear friends love him. However, this book showed no particular charm nor skill of construction. It is an early piece, so this unpractised work is to be expected. The jokes were more worthy of groans than guffaws, and I was left feeling rather let down, since he's been compared to the superlatively funny Douglas Adams.

After finding this one dull, a friend suggested I try one of his later books, so I started Moving Pictures, which was better craft
Lyn
Jul 18, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so it begins … for me at least. Sir Terry Pratchett’s wildly imaginative Discworld series begins with the 1983 publication of The Color of Magic.

I have been reading science fiction and fantasy for a long time and somehow I have managed to not read any of his works. A friend suggested I try one, I’d like it and so I read the fourth in the series, Mort and I thought so much that I decided I would climb the hill and enjoy every step.

Begin with a heaping portion of British humor (humour), mix in
TL
Apr 24, 2015 TL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A charming and sometimes tedious novel, Rincewind grew on me quickly and I enjoyed watching him get into and out of scrapes along the way. Death's and Fate's frustration with him was hilarious. I kept imagining them as toddlers stomping their feet :-D.

Two Flower I was so so on... sometimes he charmed me and others... eh. His optimism seemed misplaced sometimes, but he had good intentions.

A nice start to the series, plenty of action and some humor :) The scenes with Krull and near the edge of the
Amanda
Jun 25, 2014 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh, blog
Meh. It just didn't do it for me. Unfortunately, this book has been recommended to me so many times by well-meaning friends who know my love of absurd British humor that it couldn't possibly live up to the hype. It suffers from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy syndrome. For years, everyone I knew--friends, family, students, co-workers--would ask me if I had read Hitchhiker's and their mouths would drop when I admitted no, I hadn't . . . yet. Their response was always the same, "Oh, but you h ...more
Antonio

suspira....

Mientras mas alto pongo mis expectativas, mis caídas son peores, y al parecer con esta caeré, caeré y seguiré cayendo.

Amo la magia, los dragones, y reconozco la creatividad y humor de Pratchett; entonces ¿Qué paso? una lógica tan profunda como Alicia en el pais de las maravillas, unos saltos de trama que me desenfocaban, y el final....

(view spoiler)

ese final... pens
Forrest
I read this book way back in high school, when I lived in England. Having forgotten everything except for the fact that there was a trunk that liked to eat people, I bought the book (again) to see how it stood up these many years later. As I've read I've received goodreads messages and been spoken to by several people who have warned me that Pratchett was just warming up with this one, that he hadn't reached his highest form yet. I still have to read more of his work (I'm planning on Mort and Gu ...more
Jon
Apr 26, 2013 Jon added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jon by: SciFi and Fantasy Book Club August Book
Becky
I dunno if this is going to be a proper 'review' (heh, as though any of the things that I write in this space are...), it'll likely just be a bunch of randomness and ranting. So, like my usual offerings.

I read Amanda's review (This'un.) and I'm all like "Yep." This is one of those books/series that people love and it makes me want to love it and then I set crazy goals for myself, like reading them... all... in a year... just maybe not this one... and then when the first one ends up NOT being the
Phrynne
Mar 28, 2015 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book many years ago and I remember I fell in love with the Disc World as soon as I read the first few pages. I loved the idea of the turtle swimming through space and the elephants and the rim fall and the eighth colour in the spectrum called octarine. Twoflower and Rincewind were the first of many of Pratchett's characters I would meet who are so helpless and yet who blunder successfully through mishap after mishap. And as for the Luggage! That has to be one of the best invent ...more
Alex Ristea
Mar 02, 2015 Alex Ristea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, mmpb, series, fantasy
Zany, wild, preposterous, and oh so fun—I understand the Discworld hype and see why it's such a fan favourite.

But underneath all the light humour is clever trope subversion and a sense that Pratchett knows exactly what he's doing, more so than just a few laughs.

This first installment isn't an immediate favourite, but it's a promising start to a series I'm looking forward to reading. I know there are a ton of Discworld reading guides out there, but I'm a stickler for published order and I'm going
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
Sep 07, 2015 Evelyn (devours and digests words) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking for a bag full of laughs with a cynical view, and tons of fun, fun, fun adventure
Recommended to Evelyn (devours and digests words) by: Fabian, Ryan
Magic never dies. It merely fades away.

I first visited the world of Discworld at the age of twelve when I was still wolfing down picture books and fingering through easy-peasy written books. Then one day, I saw a friend prancing around with this book to classes. I have a sharp eye on colourful book covers and this one's won me over. I demanded asked to borrow this and right on the spot, he let me.

Back home I immediately flipped to page one. Upon the first few paragraphs however, my brain went d
Gary
May 03, 2014 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a fun, quick read. I enjoyed it and plan to read my way through disc world. This somewhat cartoonish seeming universe is populated by colorful and unlikely characters. The author created an original and interesting mythology and multiverse.
Hidden within the tongue and cheek humor and somewhat silly action is an intelligence and insightful view of not just those make believe world, but ours as well. Many references are to actual occult concepts and the magic, while loose, humorous and e
Mangrii
May 21, 2015 Mangrii rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Por fin me he puesto con el reto que tenía entre manos, comenzar desde el inicio la saga Mundodisco del fallecido Terry Pratchett; aunque ya había leído algún volumen suelto (porque en esta saga poco importa el orden en realidad), en esta ocasión quiero seguir el orden de publicación.
En este primer volumen nos narran a través de cuatro capítulos la historia de Dosflores, un singular turista de una lejano Imperio que desea conocer a los famosos héroes de Mundodisco, vivir emocionantes aventuras y
Petertpc
Feb 10, 2012 Petertpc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
This was the perfect pick me up after the depressing, depressing, depressing downer if The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I laughed out loud reading this and that is not something I do very often. Rincewind is a new favorite character and Terry Pratchett is a new favorite author. I'm not sure I would have loved this as much I I hadn't been in the perfect mood for it. But, I was in the perfect mood and I did love it.
Rob
Executive Summary: Started slow, but finished strong.

Full Review
I've been meaning to read Discworld for awhile. A good friend of mine loves the series and recommended it to me over 10 years ago, but I just never got around to it.

He suggested I might be better off starting with Guards! Guards! than this book. However between picking up the first few books on a sale, and my general need to read thing in publication order.

My understanding is that while all the books are set in Discworld, there ar
Anne
It had some funny moments, but I really struggled to get through it. In all fairness to the people who suggested I read the Discworld series, this is not one of the ones they said I should start with. I think I mostly had a hard time slogging through all of the world-building and made up words. Fantasy has never been my thing, because I'm not someone who enjoys reading descriptions of the characters surroundings. I'm not giving up on the series, though. I think I'll just go back through my book ...more
Chris
The thing about this isn't the brilliant with and humor. It is the humanity all the way from curiosity to insurance fraud to hatred to loyalty.

Now, if someone could invent the Luggage, I would be thrilled.

Old Review
Recently, there was (or currently still is) a scandel about the International Booker Prize. One of the judges resigned over the fact that it had been awarded to Philip Roth. She then went public with her reasons which included the belief that Roth always wrote about the same thing.

I d
Steven Harbin
Although this is the first book in the Discworld series, it's actually the 2nd I've completed, The Wee Free Men being the first. I enjoyed this book, although having read a later book in the series showed me that Mr. Pratchett's writing has improved considerably over time. Still, this is a fun read for anyone who likes fantasy in general and humorous fantasy in particular. I came to really like inept magician Rincewind and his traveling companion Twoflower, first tourist in Discworld history (ap ...more
David
Nov 19, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Epicurus
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoy reading science fiction and fantasy, but my mother always says that she does not. She claims that in this sort of book, the author can allow the characters to do "anything", and there are no set rules for the natural world to obey. I generally disagree with her. Good science fiction and fantasy authors invent a world, and they invent the parameters of the possible, and stick within those limits.

However, in this book, I must say, anything goes. There are no limits to the magic; it is boun
Frogy (Ivana)
Zasto sam ovoliko dugo cekala da zakoracim u Disksvet?! I ako bi neko od starosedelaca mogao da mi kaze kako da nabavim Prtljag od kruskovog drveta mudrosti, cini mi se da je pametno imati jedan ;)
Mike (the Paladin)
Ahh, the story of Twoflower and the "failed" wizard Rincewind. Although calling Rincewind a "failed" wizard is possibly not really fair to him as he's only a "failed" wizard because having sneaked a look at a forbidden spell book one the 8 Great Spells has taken up the room in his brain that would be needed for other spells and he can't get it out, at least not without casting it, and since neither he nor the other wizards know what it will do...destroy the world, the universe, the multiverse... ...more
Roya
DNF at 37%

What Actually Went Through My Head While I Was Reading This

Stupid moron. I can't believe he lent me a book without thoroughly knowing my taste.

Way to ruin a book for someone.

Hey, this is actually pretty good!

I hate everything.

That's hilarious.

Time to think about all those scholarships you haven't filled out yet...

...So lazy.

Did I fall asleep?

I think I just stared at this page for half an hour.

This plot is really interesting, but I can't focus.

Focus already!

Time to think about all the g
Belarius
Feb 06, 2008 Belarius rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Obsessive Completionists
Author Terry Pratchett may be the modern day Mark Twain, one of the most prolific satirical authors in genre fiction. The world he spins his elaborate metaphors is that of Discworld, a setting in which he has successfully parodied everything from opera to religion, from currency to war, from morris dancing to mall proliferation. But before Discworld was a template upon which all things modern could be parodied, it was simply a parody, and a mediocre one at best.

Pratchett's humor is similar in ma
Tfitoby
Aug 03, 2012 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical, funny
A fun parody of the fantasy genre and some great world building

I've been listening to this one for the past two weeks, I found myself out of shape and in need of something that would hold my concentration whilst I taught my body to exercise again. Ordinarily I'm not a fan of audiobooks but it seemed like the perfect way and the perfect time to get started on the great Discworld re-read that I've had planned for the past two years. It worked.

It's been many, many years since I last read this book,
Danijel
Sep 24, 2015 Danijel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ova mala knjižica žućkastih korica zazivala me s polica već duže vremena, šireći svoje magijske zrake poput moćnog Oktava. Iako sam već poprilično imun na takve knjiške vragolije, ponekad jednostavno popustim i prepustim se osjećaju. Terry Pratchett i njegov slavni humoristički serijal o svijetu Diska se ne zaobilazi.

Boje magije prate pustolovine dvojice besprijekornih pustolova, drugova u tisuću pustolovina iz nužnosti – Dvocvijet (Twoflower) i Frčlopir (Rincewind). Odnosno, situacija je ovakv
  • The Brentford Triangle
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • The Chronicles of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber, #1-5 )
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Mountain of Black Glass (Otherland, #3)
  • The Portable Door (J. W. Wells & Co., #1)
  • The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)
  • Tigana
  • The Curse of Chalion (Chalion, #1)
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists
  • Legend (The Drenai Saga, #1)
  • Shadows Linger (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #2)
  • Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin, #1)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)

“If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards!” 962 likes
“No, what he didn't like about heroes was that they were usually suicidally gloomy when sober and homicidally insane when drunk.” 271 likes