Lucy Rescued

Lucy Rescued

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Wha-ooo-ooo-roo!" Lucy is having a little trouble adjusting to her new home. Droll illustrations pair with a charming and insightful text to offer a relatable portrait of what it's like to get to know someone new, and to take on their concerns as if they were your own. Kids will recognize and feel empathy both for Lucy, a shelter dog who sometimes tries her adopter's patie...more
Published March 27th 2012 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about Lucy Rescued, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucy Rescued

Betsy
My temptation whenever I review a children’s book that involves a dog in some way is to begin with a caveat that I am not a dog person. I’ve drawn from that well one too many times, though. At this point I think my I-am-not-a-dog-person credentials are well and truly established. However, it wasn’t until I read the utterly charming Lucy Rescued that I realized something. I am not a dog person but I am a new mom and it would appear that the buttons that are pushed by babies in distress can also b...more
Peacegal
This book would be a fine humane education tie-in with National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week or a similar classroom observance.

Lucy Rescued follows a puppy who is adopted from a shelter (discussing the mechanics of shelter adoption). When However, when Lucy comes home, she is so scared and lonely she beings to howl. And howl. She howls so much that Lucy's new family is unsure how to help her, despite trying numerous methods to help her calm down. Finally, Lucy's young owner tries giving the...more
Steve
Stumbled upon this at the Columbus Main Library. It's extremely cute.

One of the nicest kids picture books I've ever seen and read. Perfect for introducing the concept of pet adoption to a toddler. This book also touches on the subject of pet misbehavior and how you can try different things to correct the problem.

It also doesn't hurt that the dog that was adopted resembles Callie!
Anne Catesby
Lucy Rescued was written by Harriet Ziefert and was illustrated by Barroux. I chose to read this book because I enjoyed the pictures and the story the pictures told. This book is about a dog named Lucy who was rescued from the pound by a family and brought home. Once the Lucy came home the family started experiencing troubles with the dog and were faced with the issue of taking the puppy back to the pound. However, once the little girl discovered that all Lucy was missing was friends she helped...more
Macy Tone
Lucy Rescued by Harriet Ziefert is about a dog, named Lucy, rescued from the pound by a family. They realized something is wrong with the dog when she howls non-stop. Finally, the little girl figures out that all Lucy needed was some friends. When she let her have her not so favorite toys anymore, she was happy again. I love how all the pictures are bright and colorful. The pages are thick too, to prevent easy tearing. The paintings in the book by Barroux are great and age appropriate! My favori...more
Jen
Apr 16, 2014 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
adorable, charming, and with a layered story of rescue to boot. What happens when you rescue a dog from the pound? For Lucy, that's not the end of her problems. It takes a child to finally understand why Lucy is still unhappy and to get her to settle into the family. The illustrations are really cute and detailed, and I am - forever - a huge sucker for a dog story.
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Lucy , a small white dog, is adopted from an animal shelter just in time. But adjusting to her new home and family is tough on her and her new family. Lucy can’t seem to stop howling; she howls all day and night. In this sweet, simply but beautifully illustrated story, we follow Lucy and her family on their journey to love, understanding and acceptance. This wonderful picture book is perfect for sharing with preschoolers who will be certain to ask you to read it to them again and again.

Sharyn H.
A charming story about how a family rescues a dog. "Here is Lucy at the pound, where we found her. She needed to be rescued. Her time was almost up." The first page may need a bit of explaining. Also, do we still call animal shelters pounds? I feel that pound has gone the was of orphanages -- there are better words to use today. But maybe that's just my experience with pet rescue and adoption!

Anyway, Lucy has a tough time adjusting to life in a home until the little girl gives her a stuffed ani...more
Ann
A perfect picture book about adopting a dog from a shelter. Lucy is distressed when she arrives at her new home and howls "wah-ooo-ooo-roo" no matter how her new family tries to appease her. That is, until her little girl companion discovers how to make Lucy feel comfortable and happy. As a side note, my sister's rescue dog, who was a breeder in a puppy mill, also liked to care for stuffed animals--so this fiction is true and touching.
Heidi
Cute, simple story. I loved what the solution would be. If I were a dog, that's probably what I would howl for! :-) 9 furry friends. Anyone think Lucy got a little spoiled? Oh well. She's a cute enough dog, how could one help it?

Not sure if I'd do this in a storytime, but a lap-read would work well.
Lisa Cohn
Michael, age 5, and Mia, age 13, did a video review of this book. Michael explains what the dog has to say when she first comes home and is not yet used to living with this family.
Watch the review here:

Kim Patton
Simple story about a family that gets a dog from the pound. The dog isn't happy as it keeps howling all day and night. The girl in the family works to find a way to calm the dog so they can keep her. I loved the illustrations that tell the story just as well as the words!
Melissa
Absolute favorite detail: the way Lucy's mournful "wa-ooos" collected in eddies and piles all over the place. Great way to show the unrelenting nature of the howls. Gentle story, not a lot of tension or major events, but a nice resolution for everyone.
Samantha
Lucy is adopted from the dog pound and has a difficult time adjusting to her new home, that is until she makes friends with a cuddly stuffed animal. A great story about the processing of adopting/owning a dog when not everything turns out happily ever after.
Jillian Heise
I very much enjoyed the beginning of the story of a family getting a dog from the pound and trying to figure out what she needs to be happy, but the last third of the book didn't strike me as true to life, and I actually felt that it could have done without.
Tam
I had mixed feelings about this book because I don't want a dog but my boys do. It would be a great book to show why I don't except that it ends "happily" and I know my children would say we could try what they did in the book.

Great Books
Lucy is rescued from the pound and brought into a loving home. Unfortunately she howls all day long, even when given home-made treats. Finally the little mistress finds her dog a friend...a favorite stuffed animal. Reviewer 17
Shelli
Lucy may have to go back to the pound if she doesn't stop howling. What is it that makes her cry endlessly?? Her new owner is desperate to make her little dog happy before her parents return her.
Emily
Cute book about a rescued dog and the lengths her new owners go to to make her happy. LP really enjoyed this story...
Burbank Library Children's Department
A very sweet picture book of a shelter dog and his loving new family who rescue him in more ways than one.
Kim
Cute kids book about rescuing a dog and what happens when the family brings her home.
Elizabeth
Themes: safety "blankets", new pet, adopting a new pet from a pound/humane society
Beverly
very cute story about an adopted dog learning to adapt to her new home
Conni Strittmatter
Cute book about the possible responsibility of bringing a new pet home.
Molly
Yay! A cute dog book. Great illustrations. Nice heavy paper. I like.
Barbara
This could be my favorite Ziefert title. Lucy is a lucky dog.
Elizabeth
Cute pictures, but not a great story as far as picture books go...
Amy
A sweet book about a girl who adopts a troubled shelter dog
Yeah for stories about shelter dogs!
Tanya
Ah, dog neuroses. What's not to like?
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr...more
More about Harriet Ziefert...
A New Coat for Anna Sleepy Dog My Dog Thinks I'm A Genius Snow Party One Red Apple