Start by marking “Opening My Heart: A Journey from Nurse to Patient and Back Again” as Want to Read:
Opening My Heart: A Journey from Nurse to Patient and Back Again

Opening My Heart: A Journey from Nurse to Patient and Back Again

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Tilda Shalof had been taking care of critically ill patients in an intensive care unit for more than twenty-five years, but taking care of herself had never been a priority. That is, until she could no longer ignore her extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, and crushing chest pains. When the results came in, it was time to face the music: Tilda required immediate open-hear ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Emblem Editions (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Opening My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Opening My Heart

Abria Mattina

I always enjoy Tilda Shalof's writing. A few years ago I went on a bender and read nothing but medically themed books, including Shalof's A Nurse's Story and Vincent Lam's Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures.

A Nurse's Story shaped the way I look at the world, my health, and the Canadian healthcare system. I enjoyed reading Opening my Heart, but I didn't feel like I learned anything from it that I didn't already know either from my own experience or from reading A Nurse's Story. It was entertaining
Sue
Mar 01, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, medical
"Opening My Heart" by Tilda Shalof.

I really enjoyed reading Opening my Heart, from page one.

In "Opening My Heart", Shalof recounts preparing for, undergoing, and recovering from open-heart surgery to replace a congenitally faulty valve. Interspersed are her usual anecdotes about nurse gossip, interesting patients, and her home life. And Shalof occasionally uses these anecdotes as a jumping-off point to comment on the meaning of being a nurse or the state of the Canadian healthcare system.

This no
loraine smith
May 30, 2015 loraine smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What does a nurse do?

She never stops doing or thinking of what she can help the patient recover from the health problem., she is the leader of the recovery team.
Alice
Dec 05, 2015 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read.......if you worked in hospitals for a long time you sure can relate to what goes on with patients and families....Happy times and sad times. Nurses make the worst patients and some make the best nurses. Great book and presented well, food for thought!! Loved it!!
Erika
This was okay. Being a nurse myself, I like reading about nursing, and this had the added bonus of nurse becoming patient. Needs a better editing job however, way too many irritating mistakes.
Emmalina
An insightful story exploring the role of nurse and patient and the transitions in between. The aspect of learning to accept help and care as a nurse and care for yourself was very meaningful.
Karen Mccracken
I enjoyed this book. Seeing things from a dedicated Nurses prospective. How she went through her own personal health struggles was well written and interesting.
Torieqwq
Jul 23, 2013 Torieqwq rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author paints a detailed picture of her open hearth surgery. I enjoyed the information on the Canadian Heath System as well.
Mary Elizabeth Morton
Interesting & insightful.
Susanhamid
A little slow moving.
Krista Lynne
Krista Lynne rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Ashley Armstrong
Ashley Armstrong marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Sherry-ann
Sherry-ann marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Brittany Farrell
Brittany Farrell marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Rishanne Bailey
Rishanne Bailey rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
judith st laurent
judith st laurent rated it did not like it
Dec 16, 2015
Hannah Butler
Hannah Butler marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Jessica Lussier
Jessica Lussier marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Anna Powell
Anna Powell marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Mohamed Salah
Mohamed Salah marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Kristin Tamilia
Kristin Tamilia marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2015
Cynthia LaBrecque
Cynthia LaBrecque rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2015
  • Beautiful Unbroken: One Nurse's Life
  • Something for the Pain: Compassion and Burnout in the ER
  • Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER
  • Notes on Nursing: What It Is, and What It Is Not
  • Cheating Death: The Doctors and Medical Miracles that Are Saving Lives Against All Odds
  • Baby ER: The Heroic Doctors and Nurses Who Perform Medicine's Tinies Miracles