Start by marking “The Lying Carpet” as Want to Read:
The Lying Carpet

The Lying Carpet

From the author of the acclaimed Halibut Jackson comesa mold-breaking philosophical fairy tale for all ages. Part graphic novel—an extraordinary gift book to treasure.

Imagine a disused living room in a grand house. In it is a tiger rug and a statue of a little girl. But is the tiger a real tiger, a fake, or a magical carpet? Is the little girl real but bewitched, or just a
Published April 1st 2013 by Andersen Press (first published October 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Lying Carpet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lying Carpet

Shanshad Whelan
Nov 18, 2011 Shanshad Whelan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
An allegorical story that made me think of the Little Prince. The book's shape and size make it appear to be a picture book, but this is definitely not for the preschooler. Older children and adults however will likely enjoy this imaginative conversation between a statue and a carpet. I think this book is one that will be prone to multiple readings with new meaning taken from it every time. The artwork is equally important to this tale and the pairing makes for a worthwhile book and a great litt ...more
Kyla
Feb 24, 2012 Kyla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those "picture books" left to languish in the J section - not interesting to picture book age readers (too many words, b and w illustrations), too easy-looking for J Readers, and just right for adults. Only how would they come across it? It's a fable, a homily, an illustrated sermon and just lovely. Although, the other day I picked it up entirely not in the mood and dropped it - this morning it was perfect. Maybe it is one of those books that finds you when you're ready.
Recommende
Chris Callaway
Jul 21, 2011 Chris Callaway rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I loved this. It has influences of Lewis Carroll, C. S. Lewis, and Edward Gorey, and it lightheartedly (but not flippantly) explores themes of faith, truth, and paradox. I say "explores" because the book remains ambiguous. And I say "ambiguous" because I can't discern a clear message that the book is sending; the author is consistently elusive. I think instead he just wants to make readers think for themselves. As such, it's a book that will entertain children but captivate older kids and adults ...more
Elizabeth
Faith, awakens one day to realize she does not have memories of how she came to be in her current place, when a voice from below begins to tell her stories of her past and his. The voice comes from a tiger shaped rug, that may or may not have been hunted in the jungle and turned into a carpet or made in a factory.

This book introduces philosophical questions such as "What is real" and "What is truth" with stories told by the eponymous carpet. While the book is listed as a juvenile title, I suspec
Clea Counts
Aug 16, 2016 Clea Counts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a great read for anyone who is interested in allegory. It kind of reminded me of Aesop's fables or Greek mythology. The big message that I got from this book was that truth is only revealed to us when we are equipped to see it. Sometimes it takes the proper circumstance or mindset for this to happen. Until then we are bound to believe whatever is most convenient.

For example, a friend of mine grew up thinking that she did not have a talent. She had dabbled in everything from b
Siskiyou-Suzy
Hm. I feel like either this book is lacking in the depth it presents itself to have or I'm not really getting it. I loved the style -- the way it's illustrated with "figures" from the story in addition to other illustrations. It made the experience very immersive. and the all black pages when it was dark? Very lovely. I wish the illustrations were more seriously gorgeous, something like Beauty and the Beast instead of the cartoonishness here. It seemed to deserve more beautiful artwork to fit th ...more
Ms.Gaye
Dec 22, 2011 Ms.Gaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Lying Carpet by David Lucas is a beautiful book with an intriguing text and delightful illustrations. We begin with a statue of a girl looking out of the window while a book lies open in her lap. Her name is Faith. For centuries Faith has remained silent and immobile, until the day our story begins, when she begins to awaken. A tiny spark of thought leads her to say "I feel as if I have been asleep for ever."
In response she hears a voice telling her "But you have."

That voice belongs to the C
Joanne
Jul 31, 2012 Joanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

Although I don't read too many children's books, a few people I know raved about how amazing The Lying Carpet is, how it was an early introduction to philosophy, and told me I had to read it, and so on their recommendation, I picked it up and gave it a go - and really enjoyed it!

The story is about Faith, a little girl who one day realises she can't move. The tiger carpet on the floor of the room she's in answers when she starts panicking, and explains th
Bridget
Sep 19, 2012 Bridget rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never read a book quite like this.
It's so unlike most contemporary books for older children - and adults - that I know, yet it works perfectly. The two static characters, a girl-statue and a tiger-rug, an armchair and a clock, are depicted in the same frame on every spread. That's novel in itself. But the frame that they form creates a kind of curtain around a stage within which you read carefully, cleverly drawn text, questions and illustrations. Some vignettes expand visually on certain
Judy
Fantastic in both senses of the word. I borrowed this from the library but will have to buy a copy. It's hard to say what I loved more; the illustrations or the writing. As the New York Times commented, 'the illustrations are breathtaking.'

I think this book has something wonderful to offer to any age group, apart from the very, very young; and even they may enjoy pointing out things in the illustrations, or chewing on the corners.

Perfect.
Craig
Feb 28, 2016 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a children's book; it is a philosophical -- or self-help? -- fable, kinda like Jonathan Livingston Seagull. But instead of hitting you over the head with its message, it is subtle, the writing allusive but not cloying.

Maybe it's too subtle. I couldn't figure out if I was missing the point of the book, or if it just wasn't addressed to people like me. Is it about the power of imagination, or maybe of anger? (Faith, the poor statue who is the protagonist of the book, sometimes finds an
Helen
Nov 07, 2015 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this!

I'm trying to decide if I should slip in a few quotes from the lying carpet himself...hmmm...okay, I will!

"...I'm often told I talk too much. A good carpet should really only speak when absolutely necessary -- when the house is on fire, for example. But I am not a good carpet."

"My mind is a richly furnished mansion," said the Carpet, "a mansion of many rooms, but my thoughts have not yet come down to breakfast."

There are many days when my thoughts don't come down to breakfast until af
Heidi
Aug 17, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy, poetry
This children's book isn't actually poetry--I added it to that shelf because it feels like poetry. This beautifully illustrated gem tells the story of the statue of Faith (a little girl reading a book), who suddenly becomes self-aware and starts talking to the tiger rug in the library where they've been placed. The tiger tells her stories of his previous life and insists that she was once a real girl who was enchanted. But his stories keep changing; he keeps telling her he's been lying--he IS a ...more
Evita
Nov 01, 2015 Evita rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
waste of my life
Caroline Skelly heywood
Fabulous.
Cheryl
Jan 09, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Faith sat for centuries looking out the window up at the sky. One day she becomes aware, she can see, she can hear but she is unable to move. When she whispers a voice answers her. The voice is the carpet or so it says. The voice tells her that she is an exceptionally beautiful statue, a valued work of art and it is a former tiger who became a rug. The carpet tells Faith stories of its life and that she is a real girl who has been enchanted. Careful because the carpet is always lying.
namekuseijin
Jun 30, 2011 namekuseijin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful alegoric tale for children on the very act of reading, on the power of words over one's will. A true flight of imagination with enough wonder, mystery, humor and wordplay to keep both parent and child enthralled for quite a while. Timeless fairy tale, might I add.

Read it yesterday for my daughter and can't have enough praise for it. Illustrations are also both effective and closely matching the text descriptions.

That about sums it up for me, a new author to seek.
Rebecca Schwarz
Jan 01, 2013 Rebecca Schwarz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-sylvia
A lovely picture book with a little more meat on it's bones for my seven-year-old. An original fairy tale with a statue of a girl and a tiger carpet, who lies in more ways than one. It's about storytelling, and truth and magic. The artwork is delightful. I also enjoyed his picture book The Robot and the Bluebird (I think that's the title). I wish his work were more available in the States.
Christiane
This is the story of a statue that may (or may not) be a girl under a spell and a tiger-skin rug who may (or may not) be a flying carpet. The black and white drawings are beautiful and detailed and tell large parts of the story. The text is poetic and sophisticated. I think many adults will enjoy this gentle story as much as kids will.
Amanda
Jan 13, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really sweet, whimsical book around the theme of challenging a person's ideas about him/herself. Perfect for the New Year!
Yati
I'll go with offbeat.

(Less italicising would've been nice.)
Jelly Fish
the pictures are sweet and the poetry is beautiful.
rr
Oh, a sweet and quirky allegory!
Selena Valdez
Selena Valdez marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Janey
Janey marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Moksha
Moksha marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Maegan
Maegan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Rosamunde Popcorne
Rosamunde Popcorne rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
David Lucas has written and illustrative several books for children and was named a Booktrust Best New Illustrator. He lives in London.
More about David Lucas...