Start by marking “I Smell Esther Williams” as Want to Read:
I Smell Esther Williams

I Smell Esther Williams

A community theater's production of Special Yearnings triggers a string of underground nuclear explosions from St. Louis to Worcester, Massachusetts. A man frantically swats at the blaze that his girlfriend has ignited in his trousers, while her family tries to figure out whether his agonized sign language means "Under the Volcano" or "No Time for Sergeants." Charo, Marian ...more
Published January 31st 1995 by Vintage (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about I Smell Esther Williams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Smell Esther Williams

The Sugar Frosted Nutsack by Mark LeynerThe Tetherballs of Bougainville by Mark LeynerEt Tu, Babe by Mark LeynerI Smell Esther Williams by Mark LeynerMy Cousin, My Gastroenterologist by Mark Leyner
The Very Best of Mark Leyner
3rd out of 7 books — 4 voters
Snow Crash by Neal StephensonNeuromancer by William GibsonStuck in the Game by Christopher KeeneBurning Chrome by William GibsonFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Cyberpunk Reading List
103rd out of 120 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
May 21, 2016 Nathan "N.R." Gaddis rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
"Mark Leyner’s name has been familiar to readers of experimental fiction since 1995, when he published his first story collection, I Smell Esther Williams". --Paris Review, http://www.theparisreview.org/intervi...

But you note, I Smell Esther Williams was first published by Fiction Collective in 1983. It even says so right there on the pub'ing page of this very Vintage edition. It's not the mistake that bothers me ; it's the erasure of the existence of Fiction Collective.
Ryan
Apr 02, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leyner lovers, postmodernists, people who love Burroughs
Distinctly Leyner, but without the punch of other books like My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist or Tetherballs at Bougainville. Fragmented postmodernist experimentation ranges from verbally sublime to tiresome between stories, pages, or paragraphs. Recommended if you've already enjoyed Leyner thoroughly in the past--which might be a reasonable metric for your worth as a human being.
Arthur Graham
Sep 15, 2016 Arthur Graham is currently reading it
description
Patrick
Jan 19, 2008 Patrick rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2001
Yeah, early Leyner would be really popular if it was possible to read books while peaking on like 4 different types of drugs.
Eric
May 02, 2012 Eric rated it liked it
This is a really weird book, sort of Joycean stream-of-consciousness, pop cultural ramblings. There is almost no narrative to any of the short stories in the collection, rather there are just wild linguistic riffs that bounce all over the place. That said, the language is snappy and fun, sometime hilarious, and strangely, unexpectedly quite engaging.

A couple random examples:

"The Boston Celtics put me on waivers when I manifested the stigmata of Christ - I couldn't shoot without discomfort."

"That
Myra Breckinridge
Feb 17, 2015 Myra Breckinridge rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-reading
This is Leyner heroically leaping into a blender, and shredding himself into disparate pieces that are sometimes wonderful, but often too nonsensical to captivate.
David
Apr 29, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Despite how disjointed and confusing these stories could be, I actually got into them pretty well. As usual, Tetherballs is still my favorite Leyner. I've enjoyed some of his more disconnected work less than other Leyner work, but I think it is a little easier to deal with that here. Maybe because they are shorter pieces. Still, I haven't found anything to rival Tetherballs yet. I will, however, keep looking.
Matt Piechocinski
Apr 27, 2011 Matt Piechocinski rated it did not like it
This, conceivably, may be the worst book I have ever read ... and it's not like one of those books, like Tropic of Cancer, that I think is awful, but then go back and reread it and think it's great. This book was the shits. It's sorta like a really bad homage to Burroughs. At times, I really wanted to bail. Ultimately, I was really disappointed based on what I previously had read by Leyner.
Donald Armfield
I have now read all of Mark Leyner`s books. In this book you can see Leyner you get those laughs, but overall I was dissapointed. If you are new to Leyners work save this one for last. To get those final small laughs in.

Launch 3 Stars
(1st) Untitled 3 Stars
The Glove Department 5 stars
Another Citizens Holiday 3 Stars
The Spin Cycle 4 Stars
Kye Alfred Hillig
May 18, 2011 Kye Alfred Hillig rated it it was amazing
Another sparky, quick collection on short works by Mr. Mark Leyner. As always, the most playful, absurd, and enjoyable read for my money. Leyner always catches me off guard. Just when you think he's going one way with a story he sends a curveball that'll have you pissing your pants with laughter. I just wish he'd MAKE MORE BOOKS!!!
Steve
May 19, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: drop-outs, dope fiends, booger collectors
Maybe the third funniest of Leyner's weird books. I feel an unsettling kinship with this writer's brain. His sense of humor isn't for everyone, but if you're a weirdo needing a belly-laugh you need look no further.
Jesse
Apr 12, 2008 Jesse rated it did not like it
Please explain whats so great about this guy? He has got great vocab and he is inventive, but whats the point?
Debra B.
Apr 02, 2016 Debra B. rated it liked it
I liked this book. It is more disjointed than the 3 other Mark Leyner books I have read.
Cc
Jun 09, 2008 Cc rated it really liked it
excellent stream-of-consciousness prose.
Rob
For the first story alone, buy it.
Dave Peticolas

No memory. None.

Gregory
Gregory rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Shane F
Shane F marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Kate Josephs
Kate Josephs rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Jeremiah Carlson
Jeremiah Carlson marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Jack Splat
Jack Splat rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Joe Friend
Joe Friend rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Bobby Patrick
Bobby Patrick rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
  • The Everlasting Story of Nory
  • Like Being Killed
  • Grey Area
  • Lemon
  • Shiny Adidas Tracksuits and the Death of Camp and Other Essays from Might Magazine
  • The Best American Short Stories 1992
  • The Last Words of Dutch Schultz: A Fiction in the Form of a Film Script
  • In a Country of Mothers
  • Moonshine
  • The Insomniac Reader: Stories of the Night
  • Hannibal Lecter, My Father
  • Zombification: Stories from National Public Radio
  • Overnight to Many Distant Cities
Mark Leyner is an American postmodernist author.

Leyner employs an intense and unconventional style in his works of fiction. His stories are generally humorous and absurd: In The Tetherballs of Bougainville, Mark's father survives a lethal injection at the hands of the New Jersey penal system, and so is freed but must live the remainder of his life in fear of being executed, at New Jersey's discret
More about Mark Leyner...

“You are fiercely heterosexual and well-formed, and it's no one's business that you've shrunk your parents and keep them in a terranium, but you have a gatling gun for a mouth, and if that's a diary you're producing from your cleavage, I'm leaving.” 8 likes