Start by marking “I Smell Esther Williams” as Want to Read:
I Smell Esther Williams

I Smell Esther Williams

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A community theater's production of Special Yearnings triggers a string of underground nuclear explosions from St. Louis to Worcester, Massachusetts. A man frantically swats at the blaze that his girlfriend has ignited in his trousers, while her family tries to figure out whether his agonized sign language means "Under the Volcano" or "No Time for Sergeants." Charo, Marian ...more
Published January 31st 1995 by Vintage (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about I Smell Esther Williams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Smell Esther Williams

Apr 02, 2008 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leyner lovers, postmodernists, people who love Burroughs
Distinctly Leyner, but without the punch of other books like My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist or Tetherballs at Bougainville. Fragmented postmodernist experimentation ranges from verbally sublime to tiresome between stories, pages, or paragraphs. Recommended if you've already enjoyed Leyner thoroughly in the past--which might be a reasonable metric for your worth as a human being.
Yeah, early Leyner would be really popular if it was possible to read books while peaking on like 4 different types of drugs.
This is a really weird book, sort of Joycean stream-of-consciousness, pop cultural ramblings. There is almost no narrative to any of the short stories in the collection, rather there are just wild linguistic riffs that bounce all over the place. That said, the language is snappy and fun, sometime hilarious, and strangely, unexpectedly quite engaging.

A couple random examples:

"The Boston Celtics put me on waivers when I manifested the stigmata of Christ - I couldn't shoot without discomfort."

Myra Breckinridge
This is Leyner heroically leaping into a blender, and shredding himself into disparate pieces that are sometimes wonderful, but often too nonsensical to captivate.
Despite how disjointed and confusing these stories could be, I actually got into them pretty well. As usual, Tetherballs is still my favorite Leyner. I've enjoyed some of his more disconnected work less than other Leyner work, but I think it is a little easier to deal with that here. Maybe because they are shorter pieces. Still, I haven't found anything to rival Tetherballs yet. I will, however, keep looking.
Matt Piechocinski
This, conceivably, may be the worst book I have ever read ... and it's not like one of those books, like Tropic of Cancer, that I think is awful, but then go back and reread it and think it's great. This book was the shits. It's sorta like a really bad homage to Burroughs. At times, I really wanted to bail. Ultimately, I was really disappointed based on what I previously had read by Leyner.
Donald Armfield
I have now read all of Mark Leyner`s books. In this book you can see Leyner you get those laughs, but overall I was dissapointed. If you are new to Leyners work save this one for last. To get those final small laughs in.

Launch 3 Stars
(1st) Untitled 3 Stars
The Glove Department 5 stars
Another Citizens Holiday 3 Stars
The Spin Cycle 4 Stars
Kye Alfred Hillig
Another sparky, quick collection on short works by Mr. Mark Leyner. As always, the most playful, absurd, and enjoyable read for my money. Leyner always catches me off guard. Just when you think he's going one way with a story he sends a curveball that'll have you pissing your pants with laughter. I just wish he'd MAKE MORE BOOKS!!!
May 19, 2008 Steve rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: drop-outs, dope fiends, booger collectors
Maybe the third funniest of Leyner's weird books. I feel an unsettling kinship with this writer's brain. His sense of humor isn't for everyone, but if you're a weirdo needing a belly-laugh you need look no further.
Please explain whats so great about this guy? He has got great vocab and he is inventive, but whats the point?
excellent stream-of-consciousness prose.
For the first story alone, buy it.
Agnieszka marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Brad marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Matthew Flavell
Matthew Flavell marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Adam marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Angelia marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Bixos CastroV
Bixos CastroV marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
  • Zombification: Stories from National Public Radio
  • Bombay Ice
  • Jim Henson's Doodle Dreams: Inspiration for Living Life Outside the Lines
  • The Two Kings: Jesus & Elvis
  • Conservatize Me: How I Tried to Become a Righty with the Help of Richard Nixon, Sean Hannity, Toby Keith, and Beef Jerky
  • Learn to Relax: A Practical Guide to Easing Tension and Conquering Stress
  • Fishboy: A Ghost's Story
  • Bad Girls & Wicked Women: The Most Powerful, Shocking, Amazing, Thrilling and Dangerous Women of All Time
  • Childhood and Other Neighborhoods: Stories
Mark Leyner is an American postmodernist author.

Leyner employs an intense and unconventional style in his works of fiction. His stories are generally humorous and absurd: In The Tetherballs of Bougainville, Mark's father survives a lethal injection at the hands of the New Jersey penal system, and so is freed but must live the remainder of his life in fear of being executed, at New Jersey's discret
More about Mark Leyner...

“You are fiercely heterosexual and well-formed, and it's no one's business that you've shrunk your parents and keep them in a terranium, but you have a gatling gun for a mouth, and if that's a diary you're producing from your cleavage, I'm leaving.” 8 likes