The Graphic Canon, Vol. 2: From "Kubla Khan" to the Bronte Sisters to The Picture of Dorian Gray (The Graphic Canon #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The Graphic Canon, Volume 2gives us a visual cornucopia based on the wealth of literature from the 1800s. Several artists—including Maxon Crumb and Gris Grimly—present their versions of Edgar Allan Poe’s visions. The great American novelHuckleberry Finnis adapted uncensored for the first time, as Twain wrote it. The bad boys of Romanticism—Shelley, Keats, and Byron—are vis...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Seven Stories Press (first published July 10th 2012)

Christopher Rush
This volume was better than volume 1, but one has to say that with the same tone as one says "having a temperature of 104 is better than having a temperature of 106." Some of the artwork is great - this is a fine showcase of a number of up-and-coming artists who may make it big for all the right reasons. Some of the "artwork," though, is just sloppy mediocre pseudo-art pretentiously demanding we call it "art" just because it says so (even though Mrs. Wilson's 3rd-grade class could draw better th...more
Susan
Jul 30, 2013 Susan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 800
spot illustrations + text =/= comics
Joe Rouse
I was fortunate enough to meet Russ Kick, the editor/curator of this amazing work, while he was in town for Books on the Banks. He mentioned (as he does deftly in the Introduction) that we are living in the "Golden Age" of graphic novels, and this behemoth is true testament to that. The popularity of graphic novels in both popular and academic cultures is not to be underestimated. Kick's appreciation of this is forward-thinking and prophetic, at the very least.

The Graphic Canon, volumes 1 and 2,...more
Hollowspine
This huge volume of graphic novelizations of various poems, stories and novels is almost too much to get through, some portions actually including large sections of works (Grimm's Fables and others) in very small print with relatively little illustration to accompany them.

Overall I enjoyed the various artists twists on the stories, some of my favorites include the Rime of the Ancient Mariner, I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud by Wordsworth I thought was conveyed very nicely by PMurphy, very colorful,...more
Matt
Just as good as the last one. This covers probably my least favorite era in literature - the 18th and 19th centuries - but it still has a few really beautiful adaptations, notably Moby Dick and Huckleberry Finn.

A thought about the era: I recently read Jane Eyre and Les Miserables, two of the books adapted in this collection, and it's impossible to miss how much attention is given to minutia and detail, with Les Mis especially. My theory is that this was the first era where storytelling was domi...more
Aseem Kaul
There are some real gems here, most notably Julian Peters' thrilling rendition of Rimbaud's Drunken Boat, Megan Kelso's delightful Middlemarch, Michael Keer and Nicole Rager Fuller's On the Origin of the Species, and Tim Fish's Wuthering Heights (plus the inevitable Alice Gallery), but on the whole the second volume of the Graphic Canon struck me as inferior to Vol 1. In part, this has to do with the book's narrower definition of the Canon: Vol 1. included extracts from Native American stories,...more
Dan
Only passable. The anthology claims to include "the world's great literature as comics and visuals," but this volume is truly the Western world only, and embarrassingly so. And while the editor chose a good selection within the canon -- and it is a pleasure to sample so many good works -- the number of selections means each one receives just a few pages. I'd have much preferred fewer works with more pages per work.

The art looks rushed. I didn't feel that all contributors offered their best work,...more
Sylvester
What an amazing idea – excerpts from great literature in graphic form! My favorite was “Jabberwocky” (Lewis Carroll) adapted by Eran Cantrell, all in silhouette images, beautiful work. “Anna Karenina” and “Middlemarch were also good – and “Huck Finn” – “Crime and Punishment” was spectral. All in all, a vivid and imaginative collection.
Aaron
I enjoyed this, much like I enjoy art museums. There's stuff I like, and there's stuff I don't like. This series (of which this is the first book I've read) is certainly an immense undertaking, and I would imagine that there are tons of literary gems that were passed over in the editing process. But, the heart of this project is the art associated with the literature. Most of it is great, a few were so-so, only a couple did I find not to my taste. Some are comic in form, others have their roots...more
Andrea
One aspect of the first volume I loved was its global focus; the anthology managed to produce a collection that truly felt representative of the literary canon. Volume 2 disappoints in this respect, it is very much focused on western classics.

The diversity of contributors is still impressive, and there are some works I would love to see get full-book treatment (Huxley King's P&P illustrations at the top of that list, obvs). Fortunately my favourite pages did (Introducing me to Kish's work is...more
Jen
Jan 07, 2013 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I really enjoyed volume two of the graphic canon. The excerpts were amazing for the most part, and the art work was brilliant. I would list off my favorites of all the great artwork and adaptations, but honestly there are too many that I enjoyed. I think I enjoyed volume two a bit more than volume one, but that may be because I am slightly more familiar with the works in this period. I am excited to get the third volume in April. I can't wait to see more, and to have the complete collection!
Tori
Didn't like this one as much as I liked volume one. I think because it wasn't as diverse.
Ian
Surprisingly little invention. It reads like the artists had homework, and not like they were bringing the text to life with their art.
Wendy
Unexpected delight - and I've ordered Volume 1 and preordered Volume 3 as a consequence. Not only is it lovely to see passages of great poetry and literature interpreted by some very interesting artists, but it's also inspired me to explore some of the original works in their full version, pronto.
Phil Overeem

If you have a curious, intelligent, talented relative, you might want to seriously consider either volume as a holiday present for her. And one of their finest effects is to send the reader hurrying to the original work. Volume 3 coming in 2013!
Stephen Houser
As with most anthologies, this volume is hit or miss. Some beautiful work, especially with the works of poetry. Some drawing styles are particularly well adapted to certain works, as in the "Walden" excerpt. Others are far too idiosyncratic.
amy boese
The art is extraordinary. The idea that someone might want to sit down and read every story in the 11th grade 'literature' anthology back to back is ridiculous. Nice coffee table book, but not the epic read everyone had me believe it to be.
Bri
I liked this volume less than the first. I wasn't as drawn in by the selections this time around and I ended up skimming the volume more than actually reading it. I still plan to check out volume 3, but hopes are not high.
Jonathan Funk
Similar to volume 1 (See review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...), but a bit less interesting to me, personally. "Less interesting" does not equal uninteresting, however! This is a great series. I can't wait for volume 3.
Brian
I enjoyed this one more than Volume 1 - a little more familiar with most of the works (lots of stuff you studied, or at least talked about in school...if not actually read). Looking forward to Volume 3.
Jules Hucke
I usually like graphic novels, but there was so much in here that didn't do it for me. The introductions to each piece were more fun to read than the works themselves for the most part.
Kim
Volume 2 (three is forthcoming) contains more poetry, excerpts of novels. I especially loved the Middlemarch adaptation. Made me want to revisit the classic.
Isadora Wagner
*Recommended for teaching literature.* A great collection of short graphic novels covering 51 of literature's most enduring classics.
Caroline
Overall a great read, but the ratio of graphic art to printed material was a little too low for it to be called a "Graphic Canon."
Melissa
Oh, man, so much good art. So much. Particular favorites are Pride and Prejudice, Moby-Dick, and the Jabberwocky.
Marcela
Vol 2 was very text heavy, so took quite some time to finish. Great, though.
Stephanie Baker
I really liked the art for Pride and Prejudice and Moby Dick.
Thomas Waterton
Can't wait for the third volume.
  • The Carter Family: Don't Forget This Song
  • Not the Israel My Parents Promised Me
  • Dotter of Her Father's Eyes
  • The Property
  • Gonzo: A Graphic Biography of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Action Philosophers!: the lives and thoughts of history's A-list brain trust
  • Today is the Last Day of the Rest of Your Life
  • The Best American Comics 2013
  • Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)
  • Big Questions
  • Moby-Dick in Pictures: One Drawing for Every Page
  • Tales of Woodsman Pete
  • Journalism
  • New York Drawings
Editor of the website The Memory Hole which publishes and archives hidden US government documents, including scientific studies and reports, civil rights-related reports, intelligence and covert action reports.

He is also editor-at-large for The Disinformation Company, where he has published several books including The Book of Lists and 50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know.
More about Russ Kick...
Everything You Know is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Secrets and Lies You are Being Lied To: The Disinformation Guide to Media Distortion, Historical Whitewashes, and Cultural Myths Everything You Know About God is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Religion The Graphic Canon, Vol. 1: From the Epic of Gilgamesh to Shakespeare to Dangerous Liaisons 50 Things You're Not Supposed to Know