Start by marking “The Codex” as Want to Read:
The Codex

The Codex

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  11,528 ratings  ·  377 reviews
"Greetings from the dead," declares Maxwell Broadbent on the videotape he left behind after his mysterious disappearance. A notorious treasure hunter and tomb robber, Broadbent accumulated over a half a billion dollars' worth of priceless art, gems, and artifacts before vanishing---along with his entire collection---from his mansion in New Mexico.

At first, robbery is suspe
Published November 27th 2007 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2003)

Ryan
it was better than the last indiana jones movie. if you liked that you would probably like this book.
Skyw4lker
Did the first 24 chapters - everything has been set; the search, the place, the swamp, and the help from local villages. There are 3 teams in search of the buried treasure; Tom & Sally, Philip and his father old friend, Vernon and the Teacher. Along with couple of strong armies. Seems more a race to the treasure buried by Max. The only gift given to the 3 sons - is it worth the challenge...
Yup is worth the challenge...not to spoil your reading. But is something you must read on to find out.
Robin
Right after I started this one, it seemed familiar. I think my dad listened to it on audio when it came out in hardback and told me about it. Three sons, an inheritance, and their crazy old man who decides to make them prove themselves by burying himself and his "treasure" in a tomb for them to seek out and claim. Action-packed, psycho bad-guy, lots of jungle adventure, and even a little romance. A quote on the cover compares it to Indiana Jones and the Amazing Race, and it's not too far off. Fu ...more
Jeff Dickison
This one is just too silly for words. Almost every cliche ever used in a jungle/lost treasure book is used here. The only saving grace is that a few scenes, although horribly predictable, are a little interesting, and I am a fan of Preston & Child.
João  Cardeira Jorge
Jun 15, 2014 João Cardeira Jorge rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dentists! You evil bastards!
Recommended to João by: Bastard who made the cover look good!
Shelves: action, pulp-fiction
To make my feelings perfectly clear about “The Codex” I should start by mentioning that my favorite character in the novel was a monkey! That is how uncompelling, boring, bland and completely devoid of any interest, the rest of the characters are.
The plot of the book is extraordinarily stupid. You get that just by reading the back of the cover. I was ready for a fun romp through the jungle, a kick-ass adventure full of dangers and perhaps some ancient ruins with traps and improbable but cool ac
Don
Nancy Oakes
If you want a few hours of just sheer enjoyment & good old fashioned adventure (which I happen to really enjoy) then pick up a copy of this book and start reading. I had so much fun with this book!!

now a brief plot summary:
Three men appear at the gates of a grand house in New Mexico, each summoned there by letter from their father. They are Philip, Vernon & Tom Broadbent, their father Max Broadbent. When they ring the bell to be admitted, nothing happens. Worried about their father, who
Justin Lambert
May 20, 2012 Justin Lambert rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Here's hoping this Preston novel is as fantastic as the last. I'm only on page 7 so far, but I've got high hopes!

So I finished The Codex in record time, but not for the reason I would hope. See, I was sick for a few days so I pretty much did nothing but sit and read and cough and blow my nose and read some more.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book, but I've kind of developed a Douglas Preston addiction of late and the book kind of felt a touch anti-climatic to me. Maybe it's just a matter of
John
Although this book kind of started slow, it finished quite well. It involved what I would call the predictable romantic attraction of individuals in extream environments; however, it also had some quite interesting and funny turns and twists. Towards the end it was good enough that I would sit and listen to what was happening instead of just turning off the car and going to whatever. The story (spoiler): a very rich man goes off to bury himself with all his riches - gives his three sons a challe ...more
Candice
I don't know precisely what it is, but the combination of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child makes a book that is (usually) far greater than the sum total of each as an individual writer. When I first read this book, I loved or else really enjoyed most of the books the two of them had written together, so I was enthusiastic and had high hopes for Preston's solo offering.

Largely I ended up disappointed. The plot seemed more contrived and boring, more pointless. The book just didn't zing as much as
China
Sep 19, 2011 China rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventurers
THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING. I loved it from start to finish. It was action packed, puzzling, exciting, romantic and hilarious! It is seriously one of the best books I've ever read. Preston has a way of keeping the story moving quickly, but still delivering minute and important details without letting the story drag. After the first page I was hooked. The characters he described and introduced in the book were so easily for me to see in my head. I was able to connect to them in such a heartfelt way th ...more
Melody
Grabs you from the first few scenes! Should be a movie!
Patrick Gibson
Apr 13, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preposterous action adventure lovers
Shelves: testosterone
I wonder how many variations and adaptations of ‘King Lear’ there are. Innumerable, I suppose. ‘The Codex’ is another—well, at least in precept. It has nothing to do with Shakespeare except for the idea of a wealthy man making his kids suffer for their inheritance.

It’s actually a pretty good idea for an action adventure as opposed to a family drama. In this case, a fabulously rich (aren’t they always?) Maxwell Broadbend will give his three sons their inheritance—a half a billion dollar split—on
Brooke
I'm a huge fan of the series of books co-authored by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I also enjoyed Child's first solo novel, but Preston's The Codex left me wondering if Child is the heart of their writing duo (although Child's Utopia certainly had some plot holes).

In The Codex, Maxwell Broadbent is a multi-millionaire who is dying of cancer. Instead of simply leaving his fortune to his three sons, who were never able to live up to his unreasonably high expectations, he decides to seal himse
Loraine Alcorn
All I can say is, Wow was this a great book ! Its so full of adventure and excitement, why they never made this into a movie is really everyone's loss .
This story is about 3 brothers who find out there very wealthy but eccentric father, who they have been estranged from ,and who is dieing of cancer, just packed all his art and millions of dollars worth of property off to be buried in a tomb somewhere in the world for them to find .
One of the sons is not interested in looking for his inheritanc
Swagato Barman Roy
Based on my presumption about a thriller, I expected a more hardcore mystery thriller with little or no emotional melodrama. Little did I expect it to be a book about life lessons and how (not) to raise children, how (not) to be a good son and a romance tale developing in the remotest latin American forest. The author seems more concerned about teaching moral lessons rather than developing the story. There is no plot twist, and in spite of a great start, the entire plot becomes too obvious in th ...more
Mazel
Bonjour du pays des morts !

Ainsi débute la vidéo laissée par un richissime collectionneur à ses trois fils.

Ils apprennent que leur père s'est enterré vivant avec ses trésors dans une cité perdue d'Amérique centrale. Celui qui découvrira sa retraite héritera de sa fortune.

Mais les trois frères ne sont pas les seuls à convoiter ces pièces inestimables... en particulier un manuscrit maya du XIe siècle, le Codex, qui pourrait révolutionner l'industrie pharmaceutique.

La chasse au trésor est lancé
Suby
This is most certainly one of the best adventure novels I have read. As there are very few unexplored areas left in the world, Douglas Preston takes us on to a journey of Honduras. The inept parent who wishes to impose all his plans on his children to force them to be what what he wants them to be is the intrinsic theme of the story. When the self made father puts up challenges in front of the his sons to enable them to inherit his fortune is the theme. Some flashback on Mayan civilization is th ...more
Amanda
Jan 07, 2009 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Michael Crichton Fans
A really great book reminiscent of Michael Crichton. An action based mystery and adventure with some roots in South American culture and history. An eccentric, rich, former tomb robber buries himself and his collection of art and artifacts in a tomb (King Tut Style) and challenges his three sons to find him in order to get their inheritance. With many twists and turns in the plot the book is a page turner with the reader racing to see the end.
Laura Ruetz
While I did not love this, I liked it and it did grow on me. In this book, we see a rich old man basically thumb his nose at his three adult sons. They discover that their dying father was not robbed, as they first thought when showing up when summoned to find the mansion empty, but rather he, along with all of his many possessions, very expensive and even priceless possessions, have disappeared. If the sons can find his hidden tomb, they get their inheritance.

This is the start of the most disj
Threasa Jenkins
I loved this book. I couldn't believe I was so excited about people trudging through swamp and mountains to find an ancient Mayan text. Mr. Preston made it so exciting and interesting. I couldn't put the book down. You just never knew what was coming next. Who will live? Who will die? Will anybody die? Will they make it? Will they find the Codex? I recommend this book to anyone who loves adventure.
Debra
Another suspenseful read with a great premise of this awesome writer. You can just feel the heat of the jungle and the mosquitoes and other bugs pressing in on you. You have to suspend disbelief in a few places because it seems like such ordinary people wouldn't be able to prevail in such a hostile environment, under such pressure to stay alive. But the entertainment value is certainly there.
Evelyn
Faced with terminal cancer, notorious treasure hunter Maxwell Broadbent decides to entomb himself with his huge collection of artifacts leading his three sons to track down their inheritance.
Another wild adventure from one-half of the Preston/Child team. Nonstop action--you won't be able to put it down. Preston's books are similar to the ones he writes with Lincoln Child. Highly recommend.
Dolphe
Nothing epic here, but Preston entertains with a fine tale of an overbearing father and his put-upon sons. It has a nice bit of adventure and even tries to throw in a message that there are more important things in life than money. I don't watch "Lifetime" movies, so I guess I needed the reminder.
Maribel
It seems generic to say this is like an Indiana Jones movie but it is really a fascinating page turner. You are immediately drawn into the characters (3 brothers who search for their billionare fathers' ancient artifacts). It sounds weird, I know, but it was actually REALLY good. Hope you enjoy.
Kelly
I liked the premise of this book - rich man buries himself with his 1.5 billion treasures and challenges his three sons to find him and it if they want their inheritance. Lots of murder and backstabbing. I enjoyed the Mayan jungle lore and native elements and backstory most of all.
Lisa
I really liked this book.. as I was reading this I thought it was different from his other books. Meaning the Pendergast novels. Not so much past history involved just action and a little different story. Very interesting and a good read
Frank
I love this author, as well as Lincoln Child (a co-author), and this is my favorite yet. The vivid detail and imagery, as well as a storm surge of excitement gives this novel re-read status. Hated that it had to end. Thankee
Heather Thurmeier
Adventurous and very entertaining. I thought I knew how it would end and then I didn't, but then I did, sort of. A fun ride through the jungle with a great group of characters. I would definitely read another book by this author.
Pendergast Task F...: Favorite book by either Preston OR Child 17 43 Jan 15, 2013 09:06AM
  • Utopia
  • Excavation
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Primeval (Event Group Adventure, #5)
  • Crusader Gold (Jack Howard, #2)
  • Antarktos Rising (Origins Edition, #4)
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • The Exodus Quest (Daniel Knox, #2)
  • Temple
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more
More about Douglas Preston...
Relic (Pendergast, #1) The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3) Reliquary (Pendergast, #2) Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1) The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)