The Lost Souls of Angelkov

The Lost Souls of Angelkov

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  58 reviews
From one of Canada's finest historical novelists, an intricately woven story of revenge, deception, love and redemption set against the turbulent social upheavals of 1860s Russia.

For Antonina, the wife of a wealthy Russian landowner, the world falls apart one cold spring afternoon when her husband takes her little boy, Misha, out riding. Set upon by kidnappers on horseback...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by Random House Canada

Julia
I have loved all of Linda Holeman's books - they are all historical novels and as well as being a good story teller, she is able to teach the reader about life in a different country.

This book is especially intriguing because it takes place in Russia in the 1860's at a time of big change both socially and politically. I haven't read much about Russia and so this has helped to broaden my views of what I tend to think of that country.

The Czar, Alexander II has just declared freedom for all the ser...more
Betty
Linda Holeman's new masterpiece "The Lost Souls of Angelkov" is a compelling look at 19th century Russia at a time when the serfs are given their freedom by Czar Alexander II.

Novels about Russia tend to be tragic and this novel is no exception.

Countess Antonina Konstantin's young son has been kidnapped by a disgruntled group of freed serfs and is being held for ransom. Her elderly husband, who was severely injured during the incident, is slowly dying. While their estate crumbles around them and...more
Steven Langdon
The second half of the nineteenth century was a creative time of change and turmoil in Russia, with powerful writing, the freeing of the serfs and the rise of a flourishing musical culture. Yet for many of the women and men caught up in these years, upheaval could bring huge uncertainties and social tensions. Linda Holeman traces the impact of such change in a large rural estate, Angelkov, many miles away from the governing circles in St. Petersburg and Moscow.

This is a solid novel, like others...more
Moira
More like 3.5 stars.

I wish I could've liked this book better. It's a historical novel about Russia, specifically the period following the emanicipation of the serfs in the 1860s, it's well-thought out, it definitely immerses you in a different time and place and all but one of the characters are compelling. Except that one character is a biggie. It's the heroine.

SPOILERS AHEAD: The 10-year-old son of Antonina Mitlovsky is kidnapped off the estate (named Angelkov)at the start of the story, so she...more
Jinny (SkyInk.net)
This book was an impulse buy from Wal-Mart (30% off books’ cover prices, woohoo!), but I’m so glad I did it because I fell in love with it! What interested me was the fact that it took place in 1860′s Russia. I am really enjoying European historical fiction lately, particularly the 1500-1800s, so when I saw this book, I knew I wanted it right away. It was a bit risky since I didn’t know anything about the author and it is such a new book that there are hardly any reviews on it on Goodreads, but...more
Maya
3.5 stars, bumped up to 4 on GR system.

Won from Goodreads Firstreads.

Pro:
- Have read very little fiction set in Russia so this was a welcome new environment

- Story opens with a kidnapping, written in present tense which gives the scene a lot of urgency and empathy for the characters. Present tense then alternated with past tense for flashback scenes of various POV characters, through whom the reader gains a vivid picture of what it was like to live in the strictly class-divided world with tiny...more
Jae
An absorbing tale of upheaval and social change in Russian in the 1860s. I liked the way that pieces of music were used throughout to evoke particular moments in history and in the plot. Linda Holeman never disappoints and I'm waiting for the next one from this author.
Edith
This was a bit of a disappointment.. The character of Antonia is weak, mindless and rather unreal. However the story was OK, I found it a bit dull. It just took too long. I was waiting for her to stop drinking the damn wodka, jump on a horse and go find her son!
CJC
I always enjoy Ms. Holeman's books. There were a couple of things near the end that were a little too much but overall it was great. Some great characters and I like how she ended it.
Amber
Jun 15, 2012 Amber marked it as to-read
Shelves: firstreads-swag
I won a copy of this through FirstReads!
Hilke
This is the first book I have read by this author, and I was very happy to discover that I had another of her books in my library.
I really enjoyed this historical novel, set in the 1860s in Russia, just at the time of great changes in the Russian Society. The heroine of the story, begins her life as a headstrong girl, trying to keep up with her older brothers,riding, wandering through the forests and hunting - not the model aristocratic young lady that would be attractive to a nobleman to marry...more
Andrea (Cozy Up With A Good Read)
This reivew and others can be found on Cozy Up With A Good Read

I haven't read a historical book focusing on the time of the Tsar in Russia in quite awhile, so when I was offered the chance to review this book I leapt at it. I was really taken with this cover, it's absolutely gorgeous (I love the colour of it), something that would definitely stop me if I saw it in a store.

This book begins with the child of a Russian Count being kidnapped at the time when Russian serfs are finally freed from the...more
Courtney
Although set in Russia during the 1860's, this book takes you through the turmoil and some of the repercussions of social and political change that could happen in any country in any time period. It’s all very well to give people "rights" but if you don’t truly empower them, the "rights" are worthless, making such revolutions hardly worth the paper their edicts are printed on.

Most of the characters are well developed with large portions of the book given to backstory, but it’s so well written i...more
♥ Marlene♥
Oct 14, 2012 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: historical fiction lovers who like dark novels
3.5 stars.

I love Linda Holeman and I love her books. I've bought all of them and I even bought more copies of her fist 2 books, to give way to friends.

What I loved about this book was the writing and that it was set in Russia.
Normally in her books the main character travels a lot but this time we stayed in Russia. She is very good at describing the characters. You really get to know them and that is also the case in this book.

The thing was, I did not love it as much as I hoped and am used to wit...more
Katie
There are elements to this story that were very promising, and initially drew me to this book. The main backdrop to the story is the emancipation of Russian serfs in 1861 by Czar Alexander II. The novel highlights the struggles of not only the Russian nobility that suddenly lost their enormous source of free labour needed to run their estates, but also that of the newly released serfs who were suddenly faced with extreme poverty and no to little ways of sustaining themselves and their families....more
Jane
This is first novel of Linda Holeman’s that I have read and I will read more. Set in the turbulent 1860s in Russia, this is the story of Antonina, the wife of a wealthy landowner. The novel opens with the kidnapping of Antonina’s son, Misha and introduces the reader to some of the complex human characters that inhabit Antonina’s world. The novel goes back and forth from past to present to tell the story of these people and give an explanation why they are the way they are and why they do the thi...more
Johanna
I love, love, love, Linda Holeman! I always told myself that I didn't like historical fiction. I need to modify that statement. I cannot abide contrived historical novels written by ungifted writers. Each one of Linda Holeman's books have given me a glimpse into another time, country, and culture. I am always wholly present and never feel that I am being shown the highlights in 30 minutes by a cheap tour guide spouting trivialities from a worn out script. I could taste the cold and suffering in...more
Richelle
The thing I enjoyed most about the book was how the author had the thread of a particular piece of music tying together many elements of the plot. I hadn't listened to Glinka's Separation in f minor before, and when I looked it up on iTunes, it made a great "soundtrack" for the story as I was reading the book. Other than that, I did find the book to be a pretty typical depressing Russian story of alcoholism, and I didn't come to identify with or like any of the characters. That's just me though....more
Betty
I really enjoy reading a story while also receiving a history lesson, as it wasn't a subject I excelled at in school!
Bonnie Randall
Moves seamlessly between past and present, the backstory as rich and lush as the tale that’s unfolding. Character histories weave together perfectly. This book captures the agony of everyone of the period but is a particular ode to the women of 1860s Russia; the plight of the serfs and the nobility - complete with poverty, cruelty, and the dehumanization faced by all females of that era regardless of their station and certainly regardless of their sexual orientation. A beautifully crafted book f...more
Irene
Good read set in old Russia
Desiree
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
One point of interest for me has always been European history, more so Russian. So it is without a doubt that I enjoyed this book. Don't get me wrong, the book is not perfect but I rather enjoyed reading it. The author is a splendid writer, captivating the reader with every page. The story has a good flow throughout it, even with the flashbacks. The author left the story at the perfect moment, making the reader satisfied and yet wanting...more
Ct
I was tempted to give 5 stars. I'd say this is closer to 4.5.

This book is so well written with a story and characters that are truly touching. You can't help but feel something while you read this book.
Jane Glen
Another outstanding historical fiction novel by Linda Holeman. I have read many of her young adult novels with great enjoyment and I am pleased that she continues her writing gift for adults. I particularly enjoy how she takes a relatively unknown piece of history or country and brings it to life by exploring everyday lives. (sometimes not so everyday.) I recommend her to all lovers of historical fiction.
Marilyne
I enjoyed reading the book. It was the first time I read a book from this author. I like that the story is settled up in Russia during the 1860’s. Through the history you can see the political and social changes of the society. The way the book is written you can see how every character deal with the loss of someone they love. A good book for people who like to read a story surrounding by history.
Marg
While well written, the book was very slow. Once I got into the book, it was interesting - a different time period and parts of history that I haven't read or really knew about before. The main character was weak - always into the alcohol rather than doing something proactive about finding her son. There are many layers in this story, which make it intriguing, yet disturbing at the same time.
Colleen Maclennan
Really enjoyed the book. It dealt with loss love from the view of several characters like Antonina, Grisha , Lilya ,and Konstantin. The book also showed the hardships of the lives of serfs during Russia in the 1860's. The author's ability to capture the essence of all her characters personalities added to its intrigue. Nature, religion, greed , loves lost and found made this book a great read.
Ashalee
I was never one for historical-fiction, but something about the exterior of this novel was calling my name. From their a love affair with this genres.
I was drawn in almost immediately. The history, description, characters, they all had me. It was exciting and captivating, some parts appalling, I did find the end come on to fast, and Some what predictable. A definite summer read though!
Isabel
Historical fiction can sometimes be schmaltzy but this book was a combination of a great story and a look at Russia in the 1860's immediately following the emancipation of the serfs that kept me reading late into the night. I can't believe I've never heard of this Canadian author, but if her other novels are as good as this one, I'll be diving into them all.
Release Date July 3 2 7 Jul 16, 2012 12:21PM
  • The Hungry Ghosts
  • Shanghai Love
  • Red Joan
  • The Crooked Maid
Linda Holeman is the author of twelve books of fiction. Her work includes two adult collections of literary short stories, Flying to Yellow and Devil’s Darning Needle, as well as the historic novels The Linnet Bird, The Moonlit Cage, In a Far Country, The Saffron Gate, and The Lost Souls of Angelkov. Her young adult body of work consists of a collection of short stories, Saying Good-Bye, which was...more
More about Linda Holeman...
The Linnet Bird The Moonlit Cage The Saffron Gate In A Far Country Search of the Moon King's Daughter