Start by marking “The Public Pretender” as Want to Read:
The Public Pretender

The Public Pretender

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Maeven Dayne loves all of her kids and most of them love her, but she must choose between them: the juvenile defendants at work or her sons at home. On her last day at work, a juvenile probation officer she despises drags a weeping young girl before an irritated judge for an unscheduled hearing. Maeven can’t resist the girl’s pitiful pleas for help and decides to intervene ...more
Published November 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Public Pretender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Public Pretender

Jenn ~ Nemirdis
Maeven Dayne is a public defender, working mostly in the juvenile court system. The book starts with Maeven giving her notice, to take a position less stressful than working in the heavily flawed juvenile justice system. Maeven doesn’t yet know just how corrupt that system is. On her last day she witnesses a juvenile being tried, that wasn’t on the schedule without representation or parent, after having been sitting in Juvie without a court date for a period longer than acceptable by law. Her pr ...more
Margaret Tidwell
I really liked this book. When I first started reading it I didn't think I would like it but I end up really liking it. It had me sitting on the edge of my seat and once I got to the last few chapters I couldn't put it down so I stayed up late just to find out how it all ended. I love the characters and I found that they were super relate able and I could see them being real people. I hate books where there is no way that the characters could ever be real people because of how the author writes ...more
Paul Fussner
Good fast paced legal mystery

The author has jamb packed this book with nail bitting suspense. While proving that in the end good always prevails over evil and corruption just when you think all hope is gone. In the process the author does a stellar job of describing the murders and corruption in detail so well you can imagine yourself right in the middle of the storyline.
You won't regret the time you spend on this book.
Gary M. Burris
Don't waste your time

Don't waste your time

It's been years since a book was so bad I couldn't finish it. Couldn't get past 53 per cent. It just didn't get any more entertaining so I finally just stopped.
Mark
From me, three stars is pretty good. My average is a tight fisted 3.29, so a three star rating puts this novel in Jeffery Deaver land…

Well imagined characters, a good but predictable plot and some first rate dialogue make this novel a quick, fun read. Fewer than a dozen editing errors show the author’s attention to detail. With the exception of cardboard cut-out antagonists and occasional descents into melodrama, this book compares well to any work of commercial fiction.

I only see one novel on t
Tonya Lee
I loved this book! Maevan is a juvenile lawyer who bleeds her kids to the point of destroying her family. She uncovers corruption within the department that places all she cares for in jeopardy. Will she give up on her family to save her other children or fight the battle?
M.d. Cliatt
Nov 14, 2012 M.d. Cliatt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I hope you enjoy the characters and the plot. It felt like an emotional whirlwind writing it. I cried, laughed and got mad. I hope you do too.
Lisa
It was a little lengthly but had a good plot. I enjoyed reading it. Goes to prove the lengths people will go for money.
Gina
This book had the potential to be really great. Unfortunately, the book wasn't well written. The author stumbles in places and the editing was poor. However, I really liked the characters and was rooting for them.
Jax Marie
Jax Marie marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Denise Vandiver
Denise Vandiver marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Kimber
Kimber marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Deborah Gladding
Deborah Gladding marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Marlene Moore
Marlene Moore marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
DENISE BRANA
DENISE BRANA marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Sharon Huffaker
Sharon Huffaker marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Ann Bridy
Ann Bridy is currently reading it
Feb 13, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Jayne Capps
Jayne Capps marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Kay  Compton
Kay Compton marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Brandy Martinez
Brandy Martinez marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015