The Red Lemon

The Red Lemon

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Farmer McPhee isn't ready for what he's about to discover among his cherished bright yellow fruits . . . a red lemon! Readers young and old will delight in the deliciously vibrant world that acclaimed author-illustrator, Bob Staake, has created. Now available as an affordable Dragonfly paparback!
Published August 7th 2012 by Dragonfly Books (first published September 12th 2006)

Treasa
When Farmer McPhee finds a red lemon among his perfect yellow lemons, he throws it away, with unforeseen consequences.

I am a sucker for a good rhyming book, and this book definitely fit into that category. I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2/3 of the book, for as long as we were still focusing on Farmer McPhee. And then, all of a sudden, Farmer McPhee was no long part of the story. And that's when the book lost me. The two parts of the book felt completely disparate. If the second part of the book...more
Genre- childrens book- contemporary realism
This book is about a farmer that spots a red lemon on his tree and throws it across the ocean. Years later his yellow lemon farm was weeds and the little island that he threw the red lemon on blossomed.
A. Area of comment- lesson portrayed
B. The lesson that Staake portrayed in this story was appropriate and intriguing. It teaches the reader to not be afraid of change or the uncommon. It also encourages someone to evolve and be openminded to new ideas. Th...more
Destiny Dawn Long
So, I really liked this book (and my daughter did, too). It's got nice rhyming text and a whimsical story. I loved the celebration of lemons--and the outrage that Farmer McPhee felt upon discovering a strange red lemon in his orchard.

The reason it doesn't get 5 stars is that the sudden jump into the future was a little weird. After so much time with McPhee, we suddenly jump 200 years into the future, with McPhee and his orchard long gone--but the red lemon thriving.

It was a little jarring. And...more
Randie
Staake has created something special here. First, let me address the illustrations. They seem simple but Staake used graphic design techniques on a computer to design illustrations that are pleasing to toddlers but still appealing and engaging for older readers. That amount of effort into the design really attests to the quality of the author and the book.

The verse is playful but I am most intrigued by the story because I feel as if there could be many interpretations made. Perhaps, being accept...more
Farmer McPhee is a lemon tree farmer. His beautiful yellow lemons make delicious foods and drinks for people to enjoy. One day, he discovers a red lemon on a tree and, horrified by the drastic change, throws it over the sea and onto a deserted island. Two hundred years later, the island is a vibrant city and the red lemons are proven to be sweet and delicious. A good message about trying new things and letting go of expectations.

Bob Staake's flawless, bouncing rhymes give a lot of energy to his...more
Karen
Instead of trying to explain why I like this book, I decided to write down what my little boy said when we first read this book: "Wow", "Beautiful", "Delicious", "Awesome", "This is wonderful."

If you still want more information on why I bought this book, I could tell you how we've read this story almost every day, and usually more than once a day; how I had to hide it to write this review; how Bob Staake is my new favorite author/illustrator for the preschool set; how delectably brilliant the il...more
Angela
Best for kids ages 4 and up
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Vocabulary, Phonological Awareness, Narrative Skills

From cover:
Over the hills and along the blue sea, "The lemons are ready!" shouts Farmer McPhee.
But Farmer McPhee isn't ready for what he's about to discover: among the bright yellow fruit is ... a red lemon! "Who'd squeeze this red thing in their afternoon tea? Who'd buy a red lemon from Farmer McPhee?" he cries, just before he throws it out of his field.
But the isn't the end o...more
george
Farmer McPhee is proud of his lemons that he grows for all to enjoy. But one day he finds the strangest thing: a red lemon growing amongst all the gorgeous yellow lemons. Furious at this invasion, Farmer McPhee tosses the red lemon far away in the middle of the sea thinking that no one would ever want a red lemon. Little does he know that the red lemon lands on a small island and grows into a red lemon grove. And years later, those red lemons will be celebrated more than any old yellow lemons.

Cu...more
Owlsome Readers
AR Level: 2.2
Points Value: 0.5
AR Quiz No. 110252
Kathy Ellen Davis
Is it just me, or do I love this book because that red lemon is different but still has something awesome to offer?

I also love the rhyme and the illustrations.
And the island of the red lemons.

I read this to a little girl,
And she said,
"And now, what if one of those red lemon trees had a yellow lemon and they threw it back over there?"

I thought that would be an interesting companion book!
Emerson
This is a cute book with digital drawings. Very sharp. A nice rhyming story. Good moral about how the farmer was horrified when he discovered a RED lemon and banished it from the farm. Years later, the red lemon had repopulated the grove and they were the best lemons. There were a few farm trucks in this book so Emerson tolerated it.
Emma
A farmer keeps a lemon orchard where all the lemons are yellow and everyone loves them. One day, the farmer finds a red lemon growing on his tree and tosses it away. But what happens when all the yellow lemon orchards are gone?

I am particularly fond of the illustrations in this one.
Littledreams
This is a very innovative story, where reality meets fantasy, imagination runs while but not so much of a fairytale. This is a great book for teaching children Math, with almost every illustration is circular and there's a great deal of emphasis on the colours red & yellow.
Pam
I love the rhyming in this book - great to read aloud. The illustrations are colorful and engaging with each page having a special design. I reread this many times just to enjoy the design over and over! Even the end papers pull you right into the story from the start.
Erin
Farmer McPhee is happy as can be with his grove of yellow lemons. When he finds a red lemon on a tree, he throws it to an island off the coast. From that one red lemon, 20 trees grow, and people come from far and wide to taste the sweet, sweet taste of the ripe, red lemons.
Jay Bushara
Staake's palate and bubbly landscapes are probably equal to hypnotizing even the youngest of readers, but here is also a stirring little fable about the magic of thinking differently. This might be a classic. But then it would be too easy to find.
Emily
Simple story, with simple clever drawings. It's a cute book that I would read over and over again with my daughter. I like that it has a message to try new things, don't discard something just because it is different from what you are used to.
Amy
This was a surprisingly good, fun story! The kids *loved* the bold colors and bold shapes that made up the pictures in this book, and they both enjoyed the idea of a red lemon. The only problem is, now they want to try one. :-)
Stephanie Allen
This book uses rhyming to tell of a lemon farmer who finds a red lemon. He throws the lemon across the water to an island where the lemon grows an orchard of red lemon trees. A teacher could use this to discuss rhyming and colors.
Paul  Hankins
Bob Staake's style is becoming more and more recognizable on the shelves. Purposefully places circles are stacked and arranged to create faces and farmers. . .and the rhyming text in THE RED LEMON just invites read-aloud.
Sara
Fun bright pictures! The same rhyming rhythm of a Dr. Seuss book. And all about lemons! We love this book in our household with its moral to not be so quick to reject something or someone who is different :)
Jennifer (sullivan)
Genre: Picture Book

I like the illustrations within the book, they are very colorul. I just think that the story wouldn't cause me to believe that one red lemon could cause such chaos.
Lisa Nagel
Cute rhyming book about a lemon that is different. The lemon farmer is not sure that people would like a red lemon, but who knows...Great illustrations
Abbi Kraus
This book is good for talking about individuality and being how being different can be a good thing. This is also a good book to introduce rhyming.
Debrarian
I was surprised to like this rhyming, computer-graphics-illustrated book about a farmer who grew an unusual red lemon.
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Allison Parkyn
Love Bob Staake books. My son loves pointing at different pictures and there are clever rhymes
Tricia Barber
A rhyming book is always worth reading. The moral of the story; different isn't always bad!
Michelle
Fun round illustrations. This would be a fun storytime read with a lemon taste test afterwards.
  • Magic Box
  • Madeline and the Cats of Rome
  • The Flower Man
  • A Particular Cow
  • The Ant and the Grasshopper
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Earth to Clunk
  • And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • Here Are My Hands
  • Meet Me at the Moon
  • Jeremy Draws a Monster
  • All the Water in the World
  • Goldie Socks and the Three Libearians
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Brontorina
  • Sir Cumference and the Great Knight of Angleland
  • Zomo the Rabbit: A Trickster Tale from West Africa
Bob Staake has authored and/or illustrated more than forty-two books, including The Red Lemon, a New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Children’s Book of the Year. His work has graced the cover of The New Yorker a dozen times, and his November 17, 2008 Barack Obama victory cover was named Best Magazine Cover of the Year by Time magazine. He lives on Cape Cod, in Massachusetts.
More about Bob Staake...