Start by marking “Please God, Find Me a Husband!” as Want to Read:
Please God, Find Me a Husband!

Please God, Find Me a Husband!

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A moving, warm, very funny graphic memoir of Simone Lia's search for inner peace and a husband, traveling from London to a Welsh convent to the Australian outback

As Simone Lia's book opens we find her in Leicester Square. She's just been dumped by her boyfriend and she's talking to God, telling Him that she's nearly34 and if He wants her to get married, He'd better get a m
Published April 1st 2014 by Random House UK (first published May 14th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Please God, Find Me a Husband!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please God, Find Me a Husband!

karen
this book is exactly what the title says it is and somehow still not at all what i was expecting. it's not that my reading comprehension skills are weakening, i just didn't think that the person who gave me all the things i squee over:

fluffy:

this worm:

chip and bean:

more fluffy:

would also write a religious comic about finding a man.

i bought it without even looking through it; i just said "simone lia has a new (in this country) book?? MINE!"

and then i got it home and read it, only to discover th
Sam Quixote
I remember reading "Fluffy" a few years ago and thought it was a cute and daffy comic book, so thought I'd check on Simone Lia's latest, "Please God, Find Me a Husband!". Little did I realise that rather than the exclamation being one of generic hopelessness, that she was literally asking God to find her a husband!

The book follows Lia on an autobiographical journey as she undertakes "an adventure with God", going to a nunnery in Wales and then the outback of Australia to visit a hermit, in a que
Stephen
I thought this was a great leap forward for Lia in terms of sophistication and complexity in her storytelling. I like her previous work, but it isn't really my type of thing. For me, this has more depth and complexity, and hence is far more satisfying. The book deals a lot with Lia's spirituality and her inquisitiveness about religion, which I found really fascinating, particularly as it was coupled with her quirky humour. I think ultimately that's what I really liked in this book - serious subj ...more
bonnie
So far, I am enjoying this immensely! Her sometimes dark & dry wit, honesty and drawing style make this a book that I want to read from cover to cover–though I am trying to slow down. Even though her drawing style isn't hyper realistic, I really like the quirkiness of it–and all the tiny details she adds into them–especially in regards to book titles, etc.
WeirDee
This was a quick and easy read. There were some great messages placed throughout the story which I appreciated a lot.
Joe Decie
Lovely book, gorgeously coloured and beautifully drawn. Simone is great at comics and has lovely sense of humour and narration. The book is about her Christianity and quest for a husband, so I could probably relate to it less than her previous book Fluffy (about a bunny that thinks it’s human) But being able to relate to the character was not important, you don’t need to be a Christian or a 34 year old single woman to enjoy the story. It’s good and funny. And the individual panels are beautiful.
Joanna
I really enjoyed this novel, but found the end quite frustrating and unsatisfying. If you're offended by people with faith, don't read this, as it's mostly about her relationship with God, which I thought was interesting and slightly depressing... I appreciate that faith's not always easy, but it must be nice to have an answer to life's big questions and a sense of unconditional love and community. I know this doesn't apply to everyone. A pleasing lack of husband-searching, too! Nice.
Denise Viljoen
In my opinion this book lacks any substance. I understand what she was trying to say but it just never got to a point where it concluded to much. Some might say its brave to do a graphic novel about religion, but the story is so thin its almost cowardly to get the chance to do a book like this and not deliver the goods. The illustrations are also not to my taste, and as childish as I think the illustrations are, so I see the character too.

All round disappointing from page one.
Tate Ryan
Despite the title I didn't realise this had a religious element to it until i got started. It had some good moments and some that dragged on too long. However by the end of it I was left feeling underwhelmed hence the 2 star rating. Maybe I just really wanted her to find a husband......
Selina Lock
An interesting read, but focused more on Simone's spiritual journey and relationship with God than I'm comfortable with as an agnostic.

Whimsically illustrated with great use of nature and depictions of God, as Simone talks to him. A lovely pastel palette too.
Emilia P
Aw. Dancing to INXS with God unironically. A personal book written by an intelligent and committed religious person. Refreshing and sweet. Errol suggested she was a lot like me and I took that as a great compliment. Thanks Simone, for sharing this with us.
John Da ega
A primeira metade e bastante aborrecida e desinteressante. Apenas o twist final consegue ter algum interesse e umas imagens interessantes.
Margaret Houston
Charming, surprisingly profound, and with a heartwarmingly real-life look at a journey through Christian spirituality.
Daniel Hollands
Total rubbish with a really bad message. Fuck this book, fuck it and all it's kind.
Greg Gormley
Tear in your eye one minute, chuckle on your lips the next- beautiful.
Sian
Started to read this then lost the sense of urgency to carry on...
Audiogeist
Hilarious graphic novel. Very honest, very touching.
Alex Milway
This was a lovely, bittersweet read.
Ellen Bradley
Ellen Bradley marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Fluffy Billy Bean's Dream Monkey & Spoon Red's Great Chase Little Giant. Simone Lia