Start by marking “A Song for My Sister” as Want to Read:
A Song for My Sister

A Song for My Sister

WAAAAA!  When Mira's wish for a sister at long last comes true, she's thrilled—but the new baby isn't exactly what she expected. Who knew someone so little could make so much noise! No matter what Mira or her parents do to soothe or amuse her, the baby's reaction is . . . WAAAAA!

Published June 26th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Song for My Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Song for My Sister

Gary Masskin
Has a bit of an ahhhh factor (as well as the waaaaaaaa factor)
Brunette Librarian
Apr 27, 2012 Brunette Librarian rated it it was amazing
As I read this book, I enjoyed it. By the end, I had a tear in my eye, it's that sweet. So be prepared when you pick it up, it's a cute, lovely picture book that may make you shed a tear.
Mira wishes for a little sister at the beginning of "A Song for My Sister," yet when the wish comes true, it doesn't seem to be everything she hoped for. All the little baby does is cry, cry, cry. Finally it comes time to name the baby and Mira's parents have no idea what to call her. It isn't until Mira begin
Kelsey
Jul 12, 2012 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Age: preschool-2nd grade
Religion: Judaism

"WAAAAA! When Mira's wish for a sister at long last comes true, she's thrilled—but the new baby isn't exactly what she expected. Who knew someone so little could make so much noise! No matter what Mira or her parents do to soothe or amuse her, the baby's reaction is . . . WAAAAA!

On the day of her simchat bat, her Jewish naming ceremony, the baby cries--as usual! That is, until Mira steps close to offer her own special gift and the inspiration for her pare
Angela
May 10, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
To the Littmann girls,

Your mother and I, while co-managing the children's section of the bookstore, were often disappointed with the "sister" books that were being published. We were very critical of the uncomplicated love and were rarely satisfied by the portrayal of female siblings. Always looking for something a little more genuine with great illustrations was a challenge.

This book may not be perfect, but it certainly one of my favorites and I can't wait to give this to girls with a note abou
Hester Rathbone
Mar 01, 2013 Hester Rathbone rated it liked it
Shelves: home
I think this a good book for anyone expecting a second (or third or fourth!) child - it really focuses on how just because you're excited to have a baby sister or brother doesn't mean that it's going to be magically wonderful and easy. And then it shifts to examining how even when something isn't working out the way we wanted it to, that doesn't mean it won't get better.
Shelli
Jul 31, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very humorous picture book about a young Jewish girl who wanted nothing more than a little sister. Sometimes what you wish for does not always turn out how you would like though. As was the case when little sister was brought home and all she did was WAAAAAAAA!!! all day and all night, no matter what was said or done for this tiny colicky human.
Kari Worsham
Oct 13, 2014 Kari Worsham rated it liked it
"Mira's birthday wish comes true when her baby sister is born, but the little one spends her first eight days wailing, leaving the family at a loss for a name to announce at her simchat bat until Mira's song during the naming ceremony has an unexpected effect." Prior knowledge of what a simchat bat is in Jewish culture, is not necessary as the story explains it easily with the telling.
Paula
Jul 31, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lauri Meyers
Apr 03, 2015 Lauri Meyers rated it really liked it
Cute. A 7-year-old Jewish girl gets a new baby sister who is always crying. On the 8th day during her naming ceremony, a song from her sister calms the baby. She is named Shira, meaning song.
Brianna Soloski
Aug 28, 2013 Brianna Soloski rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I'm glad my PJ Library subscription is finally up. The books are getting sillier and more mainstream as they go.
Mary
Nov 05, 2012 Mary added it
Shelves: caoimhe
Another JCC Book Festival read.

Kelly
Dec 02, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful illustrations to tell an adorable story.
Edward Sullivan
Jun 12, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet story about a sister adjusting to her new sibling. The female rabbi presiding over the naming ceremony is a nice touch.
Asby Kids
Asby Kids rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2017
Colby Sharp
Colby Sharp rated it liked it
May 21, 2012
YSHadley
YSHadley rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Son
Son rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2012
Bethany
Bethany rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Miss Melissa
Miss Melissa rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2012
Judy Wang
Judy Wang rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Sonia
Sonia rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2013
Mrs. Deathbird
Mrs. Deathbird rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Jessica Harrison
Jessica Harrison rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Brenna Prestidge
Brenna Prestidge rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015