Start by marking “A Song for My Sister” as Want to Read:
A Song for My Sister

A Song for My Sister

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  14 reviews

Published June 26th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Song for My Sister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Song for My Sister

Gary Masskin
Has a bit of an ahhhh factor (as well as the waaaaaaaa factor)
Brunette Librarian
As I read this book, I enjoyed it. By the end, I had a tear in my eye, it's that sweet. So be prepared when you pick it up, it's a cute, lovely picture book that may make you shed a tear.
Mira wishes for a little sister at the beginning of "A Song for My Sister," yet when the wish comes true, it doesn't seem to be everything she hoped for. All the little baby does is cry, cry, cry. Finally it comes time to name the baby and Mira's parents have no idea what to call her. It isn't until Mira begin
Kari Worsham
"Mira's birthday wish comes true when her baby sister is born, but the little one spends her first eight days wailing, leaving the family at a loss for a name to announce at her simchat bat until Mira's song during the naming ceremony has an unexpected effect." Prior knowledge of what a simchat bat is in Jewish culture, is not necessary as the story explains it easily with the telling.
Lauri Meyers
Cute. A 7-year-old Jewish girl gets a new baby sister who is always crying. On the 8th day during her naming ceremony, a song from her sister calms the baby. She is named Shira, meaning song.
Kelsey
Age: preschool-2nd grade
Religion: Judaism

"WAAAAA! When Mira's wish for a sister at long last comes true, she's thrilled—but the new baby isn't exactly what she expected. Who knew someone so little could make so much noise! No matter what Mira or her parents do to soothe or amuse her, the baby's reaction is . . . WAAAAA!

On the day of her simchat bat, her Jewish naming ceremony, the baby cries--as usual! That is, until Mira steps close to offer her own special gift and the inspiration for her pare
Angela
To the Littmann girls,

Your mother and I, while co-managing the children's section of the bookstore, were often disappointed with the "sister" books that were being published. We were very critical of the uncomplicated love and were rarely satisfied by the portrayal of female siblings. Always looking for something a little more genuine with great illustrations was a challenge.

This book may not be perfect, but it certainly one of my favorites and I can't wait to give this to girls with a note abou
Kelly
Wonderful illustrations to tell an adorable story.
Hester Thorpe
I think this a good book for anyone expecting a second (or third or fourth!) child - it really focuses on how just because you're excited to have a baby sister or brother doesn't mean that it's going to be magically wonderful and easy. And then it shifts to examining how even when something isn't working out the way we wanted it to, that doesn't mean it won't get better.
Shelli
Very humorous picture book about a young Jewish girl who wanted nothing more than a little sister. Sometimes what you wish for does not always turn out how you would like though. As was the case when little sister was brought home and all she did was WAAAAAAAA!!! all day and all night, no matter what was said or done for this tiny colicky human.
Paula
Edward Sullivan
Sweet story about a sister adjusting to her new sibling. The female rabbi presiding over the naming ceremony is a nice touch.
Brianna Soloski
I'm glad my PJ Library subscription is finally up. The books are getting sillier and more mainstream as they go.
Mary
Nov 05, 2012 Mary added it
Shelves: caoimhe
Another JCC Book Festival read.

Lauren
Lauren added it
Sep 01, 2015
Danielle Brewster
Danielle Brewster marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Chanelle Khiara
Chanelle Khiara marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013