Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades

Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Don’t Hurry Me Down to Hades is the story of families enduring the whirlwind of the Civil War, told through the words of famous and ordinary citizens and ranging from the battlefield to the home front, from presidential councils to frontier revivals. The book reveals how Americans on both sides of the Mason and Dixon line withstood four years of brutal, unrelenting conflic...more
Published October 22nd 2013 by Osprey Publishing (first published November 20th 2012)

Doreen
May 03, 2014 Doreen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bill
Recommended to Doreen by: Saw it a the library
This book tells many stories from the Civil War. It provides a detailed chronology of the battles and of the changing leaders within the military. This is the book that should be read in high school or college because it provides a raw, accurate account of our country's war against itself.

As students, we're told that this was a war of brother-against-brother, but are given nothing to further our understanding of that concept. In this book, through letters and other records, we're shown these br...more
Schuyler Wallace
Susannah J. Ural is the credited author of DON’T HURRY ME DOWN TO HADES but there’s more to it than that. She’s Dr. Susannah J. York, Associate Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies at The University of Southern Mississippi with special interest in the socio-military experiences of Civil War soldiers and their families. Her book is a compilation of the experiences of the lesser known, as well as famous soldiers, political figures, and families as the Civil War defines their lives and f...more
Nancy
An Intimate Glimpse of Families Wrenched by the Civil War

From the Lincolns and the Grants to the Loughridges and Erskines, families suffered during the civil war through the loss of family members, property, and jobs. Ural tells the story of the Civil War chronologically, but intersperses the descriptions of political maneuverings and battles with the letters and stories of real people. Soldiers wrote letters home and wives and families responded sometimes bravely, sometimes with complaints and...more
Leanda Lisle
This was part of my reading as a judge on the committee for the Guggenheim Lehrman Military History Prize and a favorite. A wonderful introduction to the American civil war, but also a pleasure to read for those who know the period well.
Barbara Burd
This is a well-written account of soldiers and their families in the Civil War. Ural presents a carefully researched story of the common soldiers from both the Union and Confederate Armies. This book uses letters, diaries, newspapers, and other accounts to reveal the thoughts, feelings and actions of the soldiers who participated in some of the bloodiest battles of the war.
Ural captures the horrors of war and the hope of the soldiers and their families. The role of slavery is discussed as a cau...more
Wanda
The Civil War affected a far higher percentage of the American population than any other conflict. Either side could have won this dreadful war and even after the Civil War was ended, the wounds continued to run deep for both the North and South.

Susannah Ural has cleverly woven together a chronological view of the Civil War through many descriptive documents and letters written from this era. She has truly brought the Civil War to life with rich historical detail.

Varina Howell Davis was the 2n...more
Kourtney
This book relates the war as seen through the experiences of various people- politicians, soldiers at the front, and the women and family who were left at home. I thought this greatly broke down the Civil War and mentioned all the important battles and aspects of the war. Also, it was an easy read and not boring, like I sometimes find books about the Civil War.
Larry
First off, I only made it about one-third through. As and avid student of the Civil War I had learned nothing new at this point. Despite the rich information available, it is written very dryly. Perhaps a good read for beginners or casual CW readers.
John Wood
By using accounts of the people who actually experienced the US Civil War, the author allows us to have a better understanding of the hardships, and difficult feelings of those times. We really get a sense of the anguish created by this conflict that literally divided, not just the country, but neighbors and families. I also loved the way the author finished by showing what happened, after the war, to the individuals in the book, both famous and ordinary people. I learned many interesting things...more
Amy
Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades is a great and insightful read. It isn't what I thought it was going to be but I'm not complaining! I loved how the author incorporated the letters of different people to write this book. I love reading about the American Civil War and have for 10-15 years. I still read things in this book I did not know about. Susannah Ural even gives you what happened to certain people after the war.
When I find myself talking at the dinner table about this book, then I know it is...more
Donna
I enjoyed the individual experiences of the soldiers and wives. Gives a more clear idea of how the war was not a black and white situation but more grey.
Melissa
Started yesterday, I think (brain fog).
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Megan
Megan is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Es
Es marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Levi Newton
Levi Newton marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Jan
Jan added it
Apr 21, 2014
Laura Mitchell
Laura Mitchell marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Levi Newton
Levi Newton marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Harp and the Eagle: Irish-American Volunteers and the Union Army, 1861-1865 Civil War Citizens: Race, Ethnicity, and Identity in America's Bloodiest Conflict Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades: The Civil War in the Words of Those Who Lived It (General Military) The Harp and the Eagle: Irish Volunteers and the Union Army, 1861-1865 Civil War Citizens: Race, Ethnicity, and Identity in America's Bloodiest Conflict