Start by marking “Heart in Hand” as Want to Read:
Heart in Hand

Heart in Hand

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,419 Ratings  ·  242 Reviews
Hockey RPF
Darryl had realized very early on that for better or worse, he would be linked to Aleksey Kuznetsov for the rest of his life. But he never expected anything like this.
Words: 130,383 - Complete

N.B. Two versions available: the public version with fictionalized names, and a private version only available to registered users of AO3.
Published October 1st 2011 by Self Published on AO3

Lauraadriana
Dec 04, 2011 Lauraadriana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Lauraadriana by: EVERYONE
This book made me feel Triumphant...Like yeah the Good Guys DO win sometimes and when they do...Well, IT'S FUCKING GLORIOUS it's what it is!

First of all I can safely say this so far is the best Sports book I've read in this genre. Sure, it has stiff competition but still, it is fantastic. The scenes that are focused on hockey were great and most of all I seriously loved the reverence and respect that was given to the Spirit of sportsmanship, playing with pride and honor, being a team, understand
Kaje Harper
Mar 10, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, m-m
Wow. This story just displaced Tigers and Devils as my favorite sport-centered M/M book. The characters are perfect, the plot is clean (although the initiating episode gave me a little pause.) The story becomes wonderfully angsty, believable and painful enough to put an ache in your chest. The hockey background is very well done - enough emphasis to be central to the story of two professional players but not too much. The relationships of the guys with each other, their teammates and family and ...more
Loederkoningin
Hi! Completely clueless ice hockey virgin here!

Ever since I fell down that fanfiction rabbit hole, I enjoy preach.. I mean, sharing my love for these fantastic free reads with you guys. After nibbling from Merthur and Sterek for a bit, I decided it was time to give another popular source of inspiration for fanfic a go: ice hockey!

So, Heart in Hand: the author mentioned being taken aback with the popularity of her work outside the fandom, and as a result changed the names of the two MCs, famous i
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**4.5 stars**

When I first started this book I wasn't sure I would love it. I'm not much of a sports fan and this book has a ton of sports talk in it. But little by little it won me over. It won me over big time.

I'm not big on plot summaries so I'll talk more about general feelings I had about the story. This might be a bit ramble-y... First of all, I wish AJ and Darryl (I read the version that didn't contain the names of real players) had a better first time together, if you know what I mean. T
Mandapanda
Dec 04, 2011 Mandapanda rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Wonderful free online romance between two ice hockey players with a real showstopper of an ending that will bring a happy tear to your eye. Sid Crosby is one of the best players in the National Hockey league. He's approached in the off-season by one of the leagues most brilliant yet inconsistant players, the extroverted Russian, Alex Ovechkin, to train together and help Ovechkin improve his game. Their good natured sparring and rivalry make their practice sessions more and more popula ...more
Chris
Dec 04, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chris by: Valentina Heart
4.5 stars. Very good m/m romance about two hockey players on rival teams who become friends - and more - through an unusual turn of events. I got sniffly more than once while I was reading this one. What didn't work so well for me were all the hockey details in the last third of the book, which got to be a bit much. (Note that this is, as Kate puts it, set in an alternate universe and features two real-life NHL players.)

Reread: Just as good, if not better, on the reread. My eyes leaked this time
Natasha
Jan 18, 2017 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Who'd. Have. Thought.

Natasha Snow loves a hockey fanfic. HUH.

It's just... it's just so GOOD! It is!

I read because stories like this make me feel the way this story made me feel.

That's all there is to it.
Ami
Mar 14, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
**** THIS REVIEW IS BASED ON THE ORIGINAL RPF FAN FICTION; Thus the names I wrote in this review space were different than the blurb ****

I do have to say first, though: I know nothing about hockey, its players, or NHL. I live in tropical country; we have sun all year long. So hockey has never been in my state of mind. You talk about soccer or badminton, then I know. Not hockey, though. I think BECAUSE of that, it's easier for me to accept this story. I've never been a fan of real people slash --
Xing
Aug 23, 2013 Xing rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Rating: 4.5 stars.

So how does a person, who failed his sports exam in 6th grade PE class, realize that a novel focused on ice hockey is an absolute win? When said novel makes him WISHED he played and loves the sport!

My knowledge of ice hockey wouldn't impress anyone older than the age of three. But that's okay, it's not necessarily required for Heart in Hand. If anything, ice hockey is really the setting for a love story between two of the National Hockey League's (NHL) biggest rising stars: Dar
Lenore
I had no idea who Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin were before reading this. Nor was I any ice hockey expert. To be honest I am still not interested in learning more about either the players or the sport. Heck, it took me some twenty years and a very patient and persistent husband to understand what an "offside" is. And that's football. Do they have offsides in ice hockey?
But I digress.

This reads like a young adult story, really. Very light to no explicit content and two heroes thinking and beha
Heller
This is the best sports MM story that I've read. If I could give it more than 5 stars I would.

Full disclosure here, this started out as a RPF (real person fic) about two NHL players Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin. The version that I read was altered to change the names to Darryl Colton and Aleksey(AJ)Kuznetsov, the characters are still unmistakeably the RP and because I'm familiar with them as players I'll honestly say that I found that a bit uncomfortable. I love a good sports story but I've n
Gigi
Sep 09, 2013 Gigi rated it really liked it
Wow, this book kicked my ass in a big way! I guess I was expecting a happy hockey romance, but I ended up drowning in the angst. I am NOT a good crier!

If you are looking for a epic tale of love and loss (but with a HEA, don't worry!) and can handle some serious ugly-cry angst, between two gorgeous hockey players, this book is for you! Recommended.
Eva
5 gold hockey stars

The great rivalry... a simple bet turned into something more

I have a soft spot for sports books and really enjoyed this story which is based on 2 real-life hockey stars in the NHL. I fell in love with both MCs but especially with Alex with his humorous nature and a shiny character with a big heart of gold.

The development of the tentative romance side was very tender

“And Darryl can feel his heart somersault slowly out of his chest, straight into the possession of the man w
Heather C

This turned out to be surprisingly good! To be honest, this was nearly a DNF for me.  But once I got to around 30% I really connected with Sid and Ovie and couldn't stop reading it. The characters seemed so real to me.

It took me a while to get used to the third person present tense narration style and I think the beginning dragged a bit.  It wasn't romantic in the beginning nor was there any sexual tension to keep me hooked.  In fact, there was hardly any sex at all and its pretty much fade
Valentina Heart
Dec 04, 2011 Valentina Heart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt
I've always been a fan of sport related fiction although I rarely watch any kind of sport in RL. I especially love it in m/m because there is always the struggle of coming out, the betrayal from friends and misunderstandings between lovers. If the author is especially great then you also get some wonderful sport details and can almost feel the tension of the game, experience the adrenaline and easily fall in love with the characters.

This particular story had everything I could have asked for and
Meep
Re-read: forgot the great sense of team and friendships in this. There's a lot of feelings and a strong sense of who the main characters are as people. I've read more hockey-fic since but this remains the favourite. Angst, humour and a feel-good ending.

-- --

I'm going with the full 5stars, I'd perhaps be more critical if it wasn't free, but truth is it's a long fic and I enjoyed it.

First off: Real Person fanfic is a concept I don't like, it feels wrong to me. The story is available with different
Camilla
Dec 20, 2011 Camilla rated it it was amazing

((First read dec. 2011. Second read march 2013))

-----------

Nov. 20. 2011

Flipping hell! Who the fuck would have known? Sorry for my language.. But seriously.. Holy shit!

Ok, so when I started this online free read, at 22.00 last night (first mistake) I just wanted to read a chapter to see what it was about.. I’ll come back to that though..

First of all.. This is apparently some kind of fanfiction about two real hockey players? (forgive me if I’m wrong) It’s a 18 chapter story and its full of hockey
Sonia ~Ruber's fiancé in Crystal Court universe~
Fantastic book!

I absolutely adored Alex Kuznetsov! The way he speaks, the way he behaves, the way he simply is!
Darryl was lovely as well, but he had some reactions that made me want to smack him!! In the end, he redeemed himself and everything was perfect!

Highly recommended!
Emma Sea
mmmmmmmmmmm . . . Hockey fic made me happy.
Elsa Bravante
DNF en el 10%, me estaba aburriendo, la mezcla de tiempos verbales no me gusta, hay demasiado hockey, mucho, y el tema de la apuesta no me atraía nada. Tiene muy buenas críticas así que definitivamente es que no es para mi
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Mar 16, 2012 Jo * Smut-Dickted * rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: MM lovers who like hockey or a good guys win story!
Updated: For yet another re-read. No hockey season would be the same without me re reading this book. I have season tickets to the Caps. Therefore I have to use this to set the stage. I just love the way this story evolves - I love the emotion, the sacrifice, the doing the right thing even when the light is only a dim presence. I love it just as much on re read as I did originally. It's one of the few books/movies that can make me cry. If you like hockey and MM - you really just cannot miss this ...more
Jerry
Mar 18, 2012 Jerry rated it it was amazing
Fantastic uplifting story. Great opposites attract MCs. Both characters are very believable in their personalities. No need to know about hocky. What tOvie goes thru in being "outed" and then coming out and Sid thinking about coming out and all that Ovie goes thru is very real. I am not an athlete but it was very traumatizing being outed when I was 19.
So many uplifting aects of the story especially all the things Ovie does for the young kids. Reaching out to them, talking to them being a role mo
Edina Rose
This book is not only free, it is also available in PDF, Kindle and various electronic formats.

Meet Alex and Sid, two professional Hockey players. Alex is carefree and always joking, Sid is uptight and a control freak. This is how their relationship works: Alex teases, challenges and annoys Sid, Sid resists, plays the indifferent until he can't pretend anymore and he explodes!

They start as just rivals training together, and by Alex's insistence, and against Sid's will, they become friends. The
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Nov 19, 2013 John The Cosmic Wanderer rated it it was amazing
I thought I was gonna hate this. There were some Seriously? Oh Cmon! moments here and I almost decided not finish it but this book actually grew on me. The ending was a bit cheesy, I wanted it to be more dramatic, especially for Daryl. I wanted more of it. But who am I to complain, this is a free read. So 5 stars!
Tara♥

Oh my goodness these two were so amazing together. I loved it and I loved Alex most all. He was an absolutely fantastic character. Funny and sweet and kind and strong and just all round awesome.

Darryl and me had some issues. A lot actually. But when he eventually pulls the finger out he did redeem himself for me. Nothing like a grand gesture!!

It's important to note that there are two versions of this. There is the original RPF with Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin and one with the names ch
Nic
Jan 14, 2013 Nic rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book (and it is free)! Engrossing from beginning to end. The story features 2 NHL players from opposing teams and the relationship that develops between them.
The story does contain detail of the game of hockey, specific players/teams and the mechanics of the competition which went straight over my head (I blame being Australian for my complete lack of understanding of the game) but this did NOT impact my enjoyment of the story at all.
The characters, Darryl and Alex, were
Bitchie!!! on books
This little (big!) story just blew me away. I've been a bit distracted this week, so it did take me a while to get through,but once I got back to it last night, I didn't put it down until I was finished, so 8 am this morning!

I chose to read the version of this story with the fictional names, not the real ones. I don't know a single hockey player, by name or by face (well, Gretzky, but doesn't everyone know that name?), so that wouldn't have mattered, but I still felt more comfortable with the fi
Therese
May 05, 2016 Therese rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance, mm-sport
*3.5*

Oh, so difficult to rate. Sometimes I loved it, sometimes it dragged, and sometimes I skimmed. But in the end, it was really quite entertaining!
(view spoiler)
Vivian
Mar 18, 2012 Vivian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-contemp
Love athletes, love guys. Laughed at the cheesy lines and smiled. Even fine with all the stupid tears I cried; at least my heart got mushed back into place again.
Bev
Really enjoyed this story of Alex and Darryl which is based on 2 real-life hockey stars in the NHL.
Awesome!! 5 28 Apr 04, 2015 11:08PM
The Backlot Gay B...: Heart in Hand by salifiable 2 29 Feb 02, 2014 03:53AM
  • The Doors of Time (The Doors of Time #1)
  • Pretty Shade of Grey
  • Louder Than Sirens, Louder Than Bells
  • Close Protection
  • Art Criticism
  • The Student Prince (The Student Prince, #1)
  • Just Hit Send
  • El Presidio Rides North
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • Out in the Field
  • Deep in the Count
  • Do I Seem Bulletproof to You?
  • Drunk Text
  • Tigerland (Tigers and Devils, #2)
  • Bond
  • It's Like This
  • Man-to-Man Coverage
  • Falls Chance Ranch (Falls Chance Ranch #1)