Start by marking “Heart in Hand” as Want to Read:
Heart in Hand

Heart in Hand

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,093 ratings  ·  189 reviews
Hockey RPF
Darryl had realized very early on that for better or worse, he would be linked to Aleksey Kuznetsov for the rest of his life. But he never expected anything like this.
Words: 130,383 - Complete

N.B. Two versions available: the public version with fictionalized names, and a private version only available to registered users of AO3.
Published October 1st 2011 by Self Published on AO3

To ask other readers questions about Heart in Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart in Hand

Evenfall by Santino HassellThe Student Prince by FayJayThe Violet and the Tom by Eve OcotilloAfterimage by Santino HassellLike a Sparrow Through the Heart by Agatha Bird
Favorite Unpublished M/M Stories
6th out of 277 books — 1,028 voters
Tigers and Devils by Sean KennedyCaught Running by Madeleine UrbanThe Locker Room by Amy LaneStr8te Boys by Evangeline AndersonHeart in Hand by salifiable
Best Gay Athletes
5th out of 257 books — 484 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauraadriana
Mar 13, 2012 Lauraadriana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Lauraadriana by: EVERYONE
This book made me feel Triumphant...Like yeah the Good Guys DO win sometimes and when they do...Well, IT'S FUCKING GLORIOUS it's what it is!

First of all I can safely say this so far is the best Sports book I've read in this genre. Sure, it has stiff competition but still, it is fantastic. The scenes that are focused on hockey were great and most of all I seriously loved the reverence and respect that was given to the Spirit of sportsmanship, playing with pride and honor, being a team, understand
Loederkoningin
Hi! Completely clueless ice hockey virgin here!

Ever since I fell down that fanfiction rabbit hole, I enjoy preach.. I mean, sharing my love for these fantastic free reads with you guys. After nibbling from Merthur and Sterek for a bit, I decided it was time to give another popular source of inspiration for fanfic a go: ice hockey!

So, Heart in Hand: the author mentioned being taken aback with the popularity of her work outside the fandom, and as a result changed the names of the two MCs, famous i
Kaje Harper
Wow. This story just displaced Tigers and Devils as my favorite sport-centered M/M book. The characters are perfect, the plot is clean (although the initiating episode gave me a little pause.) The story becomes wonderfully angsty, believable and painful enough to put an ache in your chest. The hockey background is very well done - enough emphasis to be central to the story of two professional players but not too much. The relationships of the guys with each other, their teammates and family and ...more
Chris
Sep 26, 2012 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chris by: Valentina Heart
4.5 stars. Very good m/m romance about two hockey players on rival teams who become friends - and more - through an unusual turn of events. I got sniffly more than once while I was reading this one. What didn't work so well for me were all the hockey details in the last third of the book, which got to be a bit much. (Note that this is, as Kate puts it, set in an alternate universe and features two real-life NHL players.)

Reread: Just as good, if not better, on the reread. My eyes leaked this time
MandyM
4.5 stars. Wonderful free online romance between two ice hockey players with a real showstopper of an ending that will bring a happy tear to your eye. Sid Crosby is one of the best players in the National Hockey league. He's approached in the off-season by one of the leagues most brilliant yet inconsistant players, the extroverted Russian, Alex Ovechkin, to train together and help Ovechkin improve his game. Their good natured sparring and rivalry make their practice sessions more and more popula ...more
Xing
Rating: 4.5 stars.

So how does a person, who failed his sports exam in 6th grade PE class, realize that a novel focused on ice hockey is an absolute win? When said novel makes him WISHED he played and loves the sport!

My knowledge of ice hockey wouldn't impress anyone older than the age of three. But that's okay, it's not necessarily required for Heart in Hand. If anything, ice hockey is really the setting for a love story between two of the National Hockey League's (NHL) biggest rising stars: Dar
Ami
**** THIS REVIEW IS BASED ON THE ORIGINAL RPF FAN FICTION; Thus the names I wrote in this review space were different than the blurb ****

I do have to say first, though: I know nothing about hockey, its players, or NHL. I live in tropical country; we have sun all year long. So hockey has never been in my state of mind. You talk about soccer or badminton, then I know. Not hockey, though. I think BECAUSE of that, it's easier for me to accept this story. I've never been a fan of real people slash --
Lenore
I had no idea who Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin were before reading this. Nor was I any ice hockey expert. To be honest I am still not interested in learning more about either the players or the sport. Heck, it took me some twenty years and a very patient and persistent husband to understand what an "offside" is. And that's football. Do they have offsides in ice hockey?
But I digress.

This reads like a young adult story, really. Very light to no explicit content and two heroes thinking and beha
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**4.5 stars**

When I first started this book I wasn't sure I would love it. I'm not much of a sports fan and this book has a ton of sports talk in it. But little by little it won me over. It won me over big time.

I'm not big on plot summaries so I'll talk more about general feelings I had about the story. This might be a bit ramble-y... First of all, I wish AJ and Darryl (I read the version that didn't contain the names of real players) had a better first time together, if you know what I mean. T
Valentina Heart
I've always been a fan of sport related fiction although I rarely watch any kind of sport in RL. I especially love it in m/m because there is always the struggle of coming out, the betrayal from friends and misunderstandings between lovers. If the author is especially great then you also get some wonderful sport details and can almost feel the tension of the game, experience the adrenaline and easily fall in love with the characters.

This particular story had everything I could have asked for and
Camilla

((First read dec. 2011. Second read march 2013))

-----------

Nov. 20. 2011

Flipping hell! Who the fuck would have known? Sorry for my language.. But seriously.. Holy shit!

Ok, so when I started this online free read, at 22.00 last night (first mistake) I just wanted to read a chapter to see what it was about.. I’ll come back to that though..

First of all.. This is apparently some kind of fanfiction about two real hockey players? (forgive me if I’m wrong) It’s a 18 chapter story and its full of hockey
Heather C

This turned out to be surprisingly good! To be honest, this was nearly a DNF for me. But once I got to around 30% I really connected with Sid and Ovie and couldn't stop reading it.The characters seemedso real to me.

It took me a while to get usedtothe third person present tense narration style and I think the beginning dragged a bit. It wasn't romantic in the beginningnor was there any sexualtension to keep me hooked. In fact, therewas hardly any sex at all and its pretty much fade to black or n
Sonia ~I want MARCO back~ & ~Ruber's fiancé in Crystal Court universe~
Fantastic book!

I absolutely adored Alex Kuznetsov! The way he speaks, the way he behaves, the way he simply is!
Darryl was lovely as well, but he had some reactions that made me want to smack him!! In the end, he redeemed himself and everything was perfect!

Highly recommended!
Eva
5 gold hockey stars

The great rivalry... a simple bet turned into something more

I have a soft spot for sports books and really enjoyed this story which is based on 2 real-life hockey stars in the NHL. I fell in love with both MCs but especially with Alex with his humorous nature and a shiny character with a big heart of gold.

The development of the tentative romance side was very tender

“And Darryl can feel his heart somersault slowly out of his chest, straight into the possession of the man w
Heller
This is the best sports MM story that I've read. If I could give it more than 5 stars I would.

Full disclosure here, this started out as a RPF (real person fic) about two NHL players Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin. The version that I read was altered to change the names to Darryl Colton and Aleksey(AJ)Kuznetsov, the characters are still unmistakeably the RP and because I'm familiar with them as players I'll honestly say that I found that a bit uncomfortable. I love a good sports story but I've n
Edina Rose
This book is not only free, it is also available in PDF, Kindle and various electronic formats.

Meet Alex and Sid, two professional Hockey players. Alex is carefree and always joking, Sid is uptight and a control freak. This is how their relationship works: Alex teases, challenges and annoys Sid, Sid resists, plays the indifferent until he can't pretend anymore and he explodes!

They start as just rivals training together, and by Alex's insistence, and against Sid's will, they become friends. The
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Oct 01, 2013 Jo * Smut-Dickted * rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: MM lovers who like hockey or a good guys win story!
Updated: For yet another re-read. No hockey season would be the same without me re reading this book. I have season tickets to the Caps. Therefore I have to use this to set the stage. I just love the way this story evolves - I love the emotion, the sacrifice, the doing the right thing even when the light is only a dim presence. I love it just as much on re read as I did originally. It's one of the few books/movies that can make me cry. If you like hockey and MM - you really just cannot miss this ...more
Jerry
Fantastic uplifting story. Great opposites attract MCs. Both characters are very believable in their personalities. No need to know about hocky. What tOvie goes thru in being "outed" and then coming out and Sid thinking about coming out and all that Ovie goes thru is very real. I am not an athlete but it was very traumatizing being outed when I was 19.
So many uplifting aects of the story especially all the things Ovie does for the young kids. Reaching out to them, talking to them being a role mo
Nic
I absolutely loved this book (and it is free)! Engrossing from beginning to end. The story features 2 NHL players from opposing teams and the relationship that develops between them.
The story does contain detail of the game of hockey, specific players/teams and the mechanics of the competition which went straight over my head (I blame being Australian for my complete lack of understanding of the game) but this did NOT impact my enjoyment of the story at all.
The characters, Darryl and Alex, were
John "King of the North"
I thought I was gonna hate this. There were some Seriously? Oh Cmon! moments here and I almost decided not finish it but this book actually grew on me. The ending was a bit cheesy, I wanted it to be more dramatic, especially for Daryl. I wanted more of it. But who am I to complain, this is a free read. So 5 stars!
Emma Sea
mmmmmmmmmmm . . . Hockey fic made me happy.
Snowtulip
Mar 10, 2012 Snowtulip rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Valentina Heart
Shelves: m-m, sports
4.5

How absolutely much do I love this! Sid and Alex...oh how my heart flutters with this story!

This was a fully developed story, I got character depth, I got real emotion, I got real hockey being played by the MCs, I got great secondary characters, I got a great friendship, I got great humor, I got great angst, and last but not least, I got great love!

Completely hit the spot and want more :D
Isabel
Wow!!! This online romance is amazing!!! Beautiful and romantic, that's how I describe this story of two hockey players that started rivals, became friends and end up in love!!!
Bev
Really enjoyed this story of Alex and Darryl which is based on 2 real-life hockey stars in the NHL.
Jess
Here is a link you can go to read the book or download it in your preferred format.

This review might be a little bit TMI so I give you fair warning.

I want to tell you about the journey this book and myself went on.

Firstly I found the book cause LA started it (god bless that woman)
I started reading and SLAM I was sucked into the world this author created.
I then realised I had to go to the movies (I thought of cancelling to read the book)
I decided I couldnt
Miriam
Awwwwww. I'm still leaking tears of happiness from reading the ending. Wasn't it just wonderful? I'm not going to spoil it, but oh!!

Heart in Hand is actually based on two real hockey players according to salifiable. I have no idea who they are, but I really want to know. I want to see these two hockey players which I fallen in love with on the page.

The story starts out with Darryl Colton, a renowned, famous hockey player spending the summer with another famous hockey player, Aleksey Kuznetsov. T
vLadimiR

After a losing a bet to his rival Aleksey Kuznetsov, NHL superstar Darryl Colton is forced to hold his end of the deal in order to prove that he's a man of his word. What he didn't expect was to develop unexpected feelings for his rival that risks their careers and more importantly their chance to live happily ever after.

There were some elements present in the story typical of sports-themed gay romance stories such as homophobia and the constant fear of discovery that isn't ground breaking for
Lori K
Charming and funny, it does drag a bit in the last third. If you don't enjoy all the hockey details they are easy enough to skim over.

This is real person fic so if you have issues with that you won't enjoy it. I had to ask who the people even were and Google them.

On the fun side you can find actual pictures and video/ads of the characters...
Sandra
Umm... I'm not even entirely sure what to say. That was so incredibly beautiful on so many levels. I abso-fucking-lutely loved Alex, and while I was hoping to get some of his perspective, once the shit-storm happened I'm glad we didn't. (view spoiler)

It was so heart-breaking at times I could barely stand it, I was literally twitching with anx
Little Butterfly
First of all, I have never had anything to do with hockey, so this book was a whole new world to me.
Even though it took me some getting used to Ovie and his humour, I fell for the charms of Sid's & Ovie's story.
Ovie's coming out was impressive, especially the way he talked to young people and tried to help them. The problems of being gay in professional sports was something I was interested in reading about, but the easy acceptance of his coming out was miles away from reality. I want to be
The Backlot Gay B...: Heart in Hand by salifiable 2 22 Feb 02, 2014 03:53AM
Awesome!! 4 21 May 12, 2013 07:21PM
  • The Doors of Time (The Doors of Time #1)
  • Pretty Shade of Grey
  • Louder Than Sirens, Louder Than Bells (Love is Always Write)
  • The Student Prince (The Student Prince, #1)
  • Into Deep Waters (Love is Always Write)
  • Just Hit Send
  • No Homo
  • Bond
  • It's Like This
  • Sixty Five Hours
  • Like a Sparrow Through the Heart (Like a Sparrow, #1)
  • The Interludes (In the company of shadows, #3)
  • Out in the Field