Start by marking “Brain Trust: 93 Top Scientists Reveal Lab-Tested Secrets to Surfing, Dating, Dieting, Gambling, Growing Man-Eating Plants, and More!” as Want to Read:

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Blind Them…with SCIENCE!

How much better would your life be if you had an army of Nobel Laureates, MacArthur ‘geniuses’ and National Medal of Science winners whispering tips in your ear about your body language, or how to resist that impulse purchase you’ll regret tomorrow, or when to sell your car—or even helping you trick your spouse into doing the dishes?

With this mig
Audio
Published March 6th 2012 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Brain Trust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brain Trust

Ami
Reviewing this book is conflicting. On the one hand, it provides insight into behavioral choices and evolutionary patterns. This alone promises the knowledge of being able to better understand and thus manipulate undesirable situations into more favorable outcomes. I'm positive that this alone is what drew so many readers to pick up this book and start reading. And certainly, some of the essays deliver such acumen. However, this book attempts to wrap complex concepts into a book that is insultin ...more
EeeJay
description

Clearly one of the best books I've read this year (and the year's just started, yay!) - What I loved about this book is it's ability to suck you in right away in it's folds. I am a scientist and obviously this book made a lot of sense to me since I'm one of those people who question their lot in life. (If you wanna see my queries, here you go )But, I can also see people from all walks of life benefiting from this book. There's scientific info about health, wealth, love and life which would appe
Rick Bavera
The book Brain Trust does a good job of talking about "trivial" things, like making paper airplanes, the colors needed on a map, delayed gratification, or how to scam-proof yourself. The items are "useful" trivia, and the author talks to various "experts" on the subjects he deals with, approximately 100, so that he can get the "scoop" on how to implement the ideas he explores.
The book also contains 18 puzzles/brain teasers, with solutions at the back of the book.

Good exercise in exercising your
Leslie
I like books like this every once in awhile. I feel like I'm learning soooooo much. Unfortunately, no sooner than I close the book, I manage to forget everything, almost.
I am then left with a vague, almost dream like memory of useless facts.

But because of my ever present optimism, I know that this time, I am over 100% smarter after reading this book.

Truth be told, this a great and fun read. I would recommend this book to all.
Lisa
A book series that I enjoyed reading in the past was Imponderables, and this book reminded me a lot of those books with the added benefit of having studies back up the information that it provides. I found myself sharing much of the information I learned with my friends and family. If you enjoy learning random facts and information I highly recommend this book. I received this book as a first reads win.
GONZA
What happens when somebody that is very very good at something gives you adice over the thing he knows better? You'd probably have a book like this, full of many interesting advices and tips or only informations that could make your life easier!
THANKS TO NEGALLEY AND RANDOM HOUSE FOR THE PREVIEW
SantosGray
Feb 21, 2012 SantosGray marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am really looking forward to this one!
Alex Boyle
I decided to read this book because I found it sitting on a shelve in my dad's bedroom. And the cover looked fairly new so I looked at the date it was published; 2011. I felt in luck. I had been seeking for something that was published in 2011 or 2012.

As you guessed, Brain Trust fits under the category; 'A book written in 2011 or 2012' This category is interesting as you can compare the different ages of novels with each other. And see how some themes are more popular at different times. But I d
Yawar
Long Nguyen
An enjoyable casual read, with doses of the author's personality popping into the writing every now and again. Perhaps a little too often at times, but that's hardly a penalty when moving between interesting topics. Perhaps the best way to be read is in small doses, which the short sections lend themselves to quite nicely.

Although the theories and research presented is very summarized, the topics discussed are readily available for the most part online should any one choose to dive deeper. It is
Susan
I'm a total science geek, so I was really happy when I won Brain Trust on Goodreads. There were parts of this book that blew my mind, including "Eat for Eight Hours, Lose Weight", "How & When to Overrule Choice", Might As Well Face It: Addicted to Love". A couple of the sections were a little difficult to understand, but that's probably because I've got a non-scientific pea brain rather than any flaw of the author. In fact, I was in awe that he could explain such complicated scientific findi ...more
Kayla
My husband and I enjoyed the book overall. Of course, the evolutionary bias was obvious, hence the 3 star rating. It was actually obvious to us that what was attributed to evolution just reaffirmed the design of the Creator. Some topics made total sense while others were surprising. If you like random facts, this book is right up your alley.
Zahir
An entertaining, but also kind of overly simplistic read. More than anything, reading this book felt more like reading someone's personal blog.

Have to give the author credit for exploring scientific studies in the areas of behavioral science, physics, etc. and then trying to explain the concepts in plain English to lay people. Instead what he winds up doing is making snarky comments and what he believes are witty quips. The scientific concepts are interesting, but many for many of them his expl
Lukáš Lovas
Very interesting stuff.
This book is fast paced, sometimes funny, and most important...interesting. It jumps fast from one topic to the next...from neurology to mathematical puzzles to aerodynamics of paper airplanes...and back to serious stuff in psychology.
If any of the mentioned facts interest you, the author included searchwords by which you can find pertinent data or videos on the internet. If some facts bore you...no worries...the next chapter will come soon.
All in all...well written, if a
Marcia

Another addition to the pop "brain science" books I've been enjoying this year. This is a series of 1-5 page essays based on interviews with brilliant scientists. I did not know that behavioral economics was a field! There's a nice mix of psych and behavior with more physical sciences, and it is really fascinating. The author has a nice, self-deprecating sense of humor, and brings it all down to laymen's terms. From eating to speed dating, to making a goal in soccer or folding a world record pa
Carolyn
This is an interesting book full of live short vignettes about things that various scientists have discovered. I found several of them intersting, but a very few of them applicable to my life. The most interesting one to me was one about the captchas (little oddly printed words that you have to type when creating a new account for something on the internet) and how they are being used to decode old texts. Several of the vignettes were about gambling or other things that I'll never do. But there ...more
Amy
Apr 05, 2012 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science lovers
Recommended to Amy by: won it in a giveaway :)
It was a really enjoyable read. The author has a very humorous writing style that helped make the reading funny and entertaining. Some of the "secrets" were really interesting to read about. Some were a little over my head and I didn't really care for. But you can't like everything. Also, the secrets were in very short sections (usually only a couple pages long at most) so it easy to read one more section quick before a class or during a commercial break on my TV show. Definitely an interesting ...more
Velvet
This book is filled with nuggets of information, little bite-sized articles, which make it great for sharing with others and is addictive enough that it's impossible to put down. I made the mistake of loaning it out before I was finished with it, and these two friends (one an English teacher and the other a math teacher)have enjoyed it so much, I can't get them to return it. I received this as a Goodreads giveaway, but I think I'm going to have to PURCHASE another copy just so I can finish it.
Natalie

I had a blast reading this book and learned a bunch of information about new topics I'd never even considered before. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is that a couple of the essays Seemed like throwaways. The puzzles were fun and I'll definitely be referencing the notes I made!
Daniel Sperry
This book has lots of inspiring ideas and also talks about some misconceptions.

It was on my favorites list for a while.
Dropped out because it has no single powerful message.

I do recommend it.
Especially if you haven't been reading other books on brainhacking os lifehacking.
Skye Williams
Brain Trust was a fun read! The writing was light and witty.

Some of the entries weren't as interesting as others, but that has more to do with my personal taste than how well they were written. With such a large verity there is sure to be an lest one for everyone to enjoy.
Melanie
I wont this book as a goodreads giveaway and as a person who loves random facts this book really drew me in. Although I wouldn't recommend reading this book cover to cover it is great in short bursts. So if you like random fact please do read on.
Terri Light
This was the Monopoly Game of books. Once you start it, it is hypnotizingly trivial and yet compelling. Ranging from interesting to weird to hilarious, the essays within yield some interesting tidbits.
Courtney
Sharing obscure knowledge with people who are only marginally interested in what I'm talking about is one of my favorite hobbies, so I loved this book. A quick read, but very, very interesting.
Caroline
I thought the author was charming on NPR, and the idea is interesting... But the implementation is so simplistic and sad. It reads like he has ADD. Better luck next time.
Rennie
Interesting content - while not every piece was a winner ( skimmed some and ignored some others ) there were enough to make it worthwhile and the style was good.
Amy Bond
interesting facts but not very well organized. It sometimes feels like you are trying to keep up with the author's self-obsessed stream of consciousness.
Brett
This is a great book for the "reading room". Entries are short and very entertaining if not informative. There are even some puzzles.
Tanya
Funny in parts and with a few studies the reader may remember. I wish it was not such a hodge-podge, but it made for a quick and easy read.
J
Always enjoyed Social Psychology in school. Felt this one was just like it. Glad I read and hipe to find more like it.
  • Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things
  • When Do Fish Sleep? : An Imponderables' Book
  • The Buying Brain: Secrets for Selling to the Subconscious Mind
  • Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things NOT Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • Random Obsessions: Trivia You Need To Know
  • The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists
  • A World of Curiosities: Surprising, Interesting, and Downright Unbelievable Facts from Every Nation on the Planet
  • Fact. Fact. Bullsh*t!: Learn the Truth and Spot the Lie on Everything from Tequila-Made Diamonds to Tetris's Soviet Roots - Plus Tons of Other Totally Random Facts from Science, History and Beyond!
  • Up: A Mother and Daughter's Peakbagging Adventure
  • A People's History of Science: Miners, Midwives, and Low Mechanicks
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew
  • Nerve: Poise Under Pressure, Serenity Under Stress, and the Brave New Science of Fear and Cool
  • Free Radicals
  • Sleights of Mind: What the Neuroscience of Magic Reveals about Our Everyday Deceptions
  • Scared Sh*tless: 1,003 Facts That Will Scare the Sh*t Out of You
  • Sex on the Brain: 12 Lessons to Enhance Your Love Life
  • The Squeaky Wheel: Complaining the Right Way to Get Results, Improve Your Relationships, and Enhance Self-Esteem
Garth works at the intersection of math, science, and humor, with a background including a growing list of bestselling books, a Magna Cum Laude pre-med/music degree from Cornell University, and math-for-hire for mobile app and tech companies. In addition to conferences, colleges, and bookstores, you may have seen Garth's work on the Science Channel, where he's a frequent onscreen contributor, onli ...more
More about Garth Sundem...
The Geeks' Guide to World Domination: Be Afraid, Beautiful People Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic, and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons Geek Logik: 50 Foolproof Equations for Everyday Life Beyond IQ: Scientific Tools for Training Problem Solving, Intuition, Emotional Intelligence, Creativity, and More Real Kids, Real Stories, Real Change: Courageous Actions Around the World