Start by marking “The Perils of Morning Coffee: An Isabel Dalhousie eBook Original Story” as Want to Read:
The Perils of Morning Coffee: An Isabel Dalhousie eBook Original Story

The Perils of Morning Coffee: An Isabel Dalhousie eBook Original Story (Isabel Dalhousie)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  1,013 ratings  ·  89 reviews
In this Isabel Dalhousie original short story, available exclusively in electronic format, our intrepid heroine - accused by a distraught wife of being the "other woman" - makes a surprising discovery as she attempts to defend her reputation.

Summer in Edinburgh is a season of delicate sunshine and showers, picnics with loved ones in blossoming gardens, and genteel celebrat
Published October 25th 2011 by Knopf Canada (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Perils of Morning Coffee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perils of Morning Coffee

Mark
An Isabel Dalhousie novella that'll take you an hour or so to read. Vintage Alexander McCall Smith, Isabel is accused of having an affair with a married man, at which she takes great umbrage, but ferrets out the truth in the end and, in the process, thinks about things a little too much. If you like this series, this one will not disappoint.

Post Script:

How does McCall Smith churn out such good books so quickly and regularly. He publishes at least one per quarter. Here we are screaming at George
Sonja Arlow
I have always loved the Nr 1 Ladies Detective series by the same author and this novella served as an introduction to his Isabela Dalhousie series however I just didnt like it. The characters seemed immature, annoying and making drama out unnecessary events.
Elizabeth
I love Alexander McCall Smith so it is with a bit of reluctance that I give this book only 3 stars.

It is a short story featuring Isabel Dalhousie who is wrongly accused of having an affair by the wife of a man she met once.

There were many many memorable quotations and the writing is, of course, excellent.

The reason I only give it 3 stars is that I didn't much care for the ending.
Becky
I so love #1 Ladies Detective Agency series that I wanted to try one of the authors other series. I love his writing style, his ability to bring a character to life, his humor, his wit....and you hear the but coming, don't you? This book was ok, nothing really amiss..and here comes the but....didn't suck me in like the #1 Ladies. Oh, and I had forgotten, I've read one or two in the Scotland series, didn't care as much for them either. Oh well, this was a short read and I'm not sorry I took the t ...more
Roslyn
I continue to have mixed feelings about the Isabel Dalhousie series, though there is usually enough to keep me interested. As usual, I found Isabel's domestic world unconvincing, but I enjoyed the moral and philosophical probing elicited by Isabel's musings. This is probably really a 3 and a half, but I'm rounding it up to a 4 because it's Isabel, after all! :-)
Julie
I found the book to be a quirky, enjoyable read. While it had its moments, I also found that I felt a little detached from the plot and characters. I think this was due to the fact that it's a short story, which is part of a larger series, which I haven't read yet.

Isabel was a very original character. She's odd, but in a good, fun way, and I did enjoy reading about her. The plot was okay, but somewhat unoriginal and predictable in how it played out and how it ended. It was underwhelming for me a
Debra
A philosophical little story. Interesting little twist of an ending.
dancingdeer
A wonderful teaser of a story! Bring on the next in the installment!
Ivonne Rovira
Was it the slight length? Or just the slight subject matter? I can't really say with precision why I found The Perils of Morning Coffee so very unsatisfying. Available only as an eBook, at 45 pages, author Alexander McCall Smith's 2011 work is closer to a long short story than to a novella. What can happen in less than 50 pages? Well, not much. Isabel Dalhousie responds to an email sent by accident, and she ends up having lunch with the email's sender. A distraught wife accuses Isabel of engagin ...more
Mandolin
What harm could an innocent meeting for morning coffee bring to a quiet life of a philosopher? When a computer glitch schedules Isabel Dalhousie for a coffee meeting with a professor from the nearby university, she decides to meet with him despite the initial mistake. Initially glad in her choice, for she finds in him a kindred spirit, she comes to later regret it when his wife unjustly accuses her of carrying on an affair with her husband. Isabel is hurt by the accusation and, as usual, cannot ...more
Donna
The price being irresistible, I downloaded two little stories by two of my favorite book authors onto my Kindle. (These stories and/or others are, of course, available for other types of e-readers, as well.) This is something new: short stories or novellas featuring characters familiar from series of novels.

The Perils of Morning Coffee, by Alexander McCall Smith, featured an installment in the life of Isabel Dalhousie that I would hate to have missed. It was as deeply interesting and satisfying
Rrshively
This book comes between book 8 and book 9 of the Isabel Dalhousie series. It is a delightful short book which took me less than an hour and a half to read. What perils can come from morning coffee? When Isabel has coffee at a café with a philosophy professor from the university, his wife angrily accuses Isabel of having an affair with him. No spoilers here, but, of course, Isabel eventually has to try to get to the bottom of this accusation in spite of Jamie's warnings. This book can stand alone ...more
Deborah
Isabel seems to be up to her usual shenanigans, so great fun - love reading her ruminations and justifications! I'm on p. 33 of this 65 pg. eNovella and wracking my brain trying to remember her friend Millie. Assuming she's being introduced in this book ...?

Quick read - love these books full of quiet, obvious wisdom that I don't slow down to realize - I loved Isabel''s sensitivity to her friend - I hope to see more of Millie.
Kathyanngallagher
This was my first Isabel Dalhousie book. It was a very short read & left me wanting. I was genuinely surprised when the story ended on my Kindle-Fire. I was at 87% and it was done. Maybe I missed something along the way as I generally love Alexander McCall Smith's "Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency" series. I will try to start with book #1 and hope it has a better story line than than "Perils of Morning Coffee" did.
Damaskcat
I’m a fan of this author’s No 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series but this is the first story I’ve read featuring Isabel Dalhousie. I enjoyed reading the story but found I was having to consciously slow down my reading speed in order to appreciate the philosophical asides. This is not a criticism because I actually found those asides of interest and worth thinking about. I liked the gentle humour and the huge knowledge of human nature this author displays.

If you’re not sure whether the Isabel Dalho
Ann
This is a short novellette in this series but a good one. Isabel meets a colleague for breakfast coffee but is soon confronted by the man's wife who accuses Isabel of having an affair with her husband. This is a good story but I don't see why it is separate from the other books.
Fr. Kyle
Remy
lovely and thoughtful- an example:

“They laugh,” said Millie. “Which is, I suppose, one of the healthiest ways of reacting to anything. To the world. To our silly attempts to make something of our lives. To all the curious ways we have of complicating our existence.”
Ed
Having read the first five books in the Sunday Philosophy Club/Isabel Dalhousie series, I thought I'd squeeze in this e-book exclusive novella to get a few more quick pages read before the end of 2011. Technically, I guess this would be considered Book 7.5 in the series, but no worries of any ongoing plot spoilers as long as you are past Book 4 (The Careful Use of Compliments) when Isabel's personal/home life took a dramatic turn.

As with the rest of the series, this was a perfectly pleasant tale
Susie Chalom
A story about nothing.

It's starting to feel repetitive. Another thing, the book was extremely short. It shouldn't have cost as much as other books. I still like Isabel and her philosophical reflections that are all over the book.
Christina
Interesting McCall Smith novel which I have to try to understand the subject matter to continue to finish the novel to the end. Not one of my favourite ones but then I am biased towards the No 1 Ladies Detective Series.
Marianne
The Perils of Morning Coffee is an Isabel Dalhousie short story by Alexander McCall Smith, offered in electronic book format. Isabel accepts an invitation from a fellow philosopher to meet for coffee, but is subsequently accused by the man’s wife of having an affair with him. As usual, Jamie urges caution, but Isabel is indignant about her innocence and cannot resist investigating further. And again, as usual, Isabel gets the wrong end of the stick, although this time, her misunderstanding is qu ...more
Clivemichael Justice
Short. Tedious in it's philosophizing. Drags an interesting assumption into the reality of contemporary experience, then drops it and moves off.
Brett
In this novella, Isabel Dalhousie's reflections on the human condition get a little frustrated when a chance encounter over coffee with a philosophical colleague leads to accusations of her being an adulteress. Of course, this makes things personal for Isabel, & leads to some typical interference (purely undertaken to clear her good name, of course): is the accusation based on the fact that the wife is paranoid with jealousy, or is the colleague in fact having an affair? If so, with whom? Or ...more
Diana
A delightful little read, as perfect as a good cup of coffee at your favorite cafe.
Linda
I love these characters Isabel and Jamie and their little family.
Although I knew before I started this was a short story, i was disappointed that it ended so fast. I wanted more. Cant wait until when/ifnext book comes out.
Barbara
Weird - of course, well written but still not what I expected.
Venise
Isabel has good people in her life, and a helpful outlook.
Heidi
a nice short story.
Tracy
This short story is an ebook exclusive. It's a little snippet of an event in Isabel's life. Isabel has coffee with a fellow philosopher and is then accused of having an affair with him by his wife. Isabel, of course, cannot resist setting the story straight. If you like Isabel Dalhousie, go ahead and pay the two bucks for the book.

I personally was thrilled to see Isabel using not only email, but also texting in this short story! Seems like not that long ago she didn't even have a cell phone.
  • Jaclyn's Ghost
  • Beggar's Banquet
  • Christmas Crumble
  • Cupcakes, Sales, and Cocktails (Annie Graceland Mystery, #2)
  • Mistletoe in Manhattan
  • Shadows of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #5)
  • Red Mojo Mama (Volume 1)
  • The Jesus Prayer: The Ancient Desert Prayer that Tunes the Heart to God
  • Chicago Lightning
  • Relatively Dead
  • The Forsaken
  • Angora Alibi (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #7)
  • Hope Springs (Hope Springs #2)
  • Mission to Murder (A Tourist Trap Mystery #2)
  • The Bruce-Partington Plans
  • Death of the Couch Potato's Wife
  • Paging the Dead
  • The Seer's 7 Deadly Fairy Tales: A Compendium
Alexander McCall Smith is the author of the international phenomenon The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, the Isabel Dalhousie Series, the Portuguese Irregular Verbs series, and the 44 Scotland Street series. He is professor emeritus of medical law at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland and has served on many national and international bodies concerned with bioethics. He was born in what ...more
More about Alexander McCall Smith...

Isabel Dalhousie (10 books)
  • The Sunday Philosophy Club (Isabel Dalhousie, #1)
  • Friends, Lovers, Chocolate
  • The Right Attitude to Rain (Isabel Dalhousie, #3)
  • The Careful Use of Compliments (Isabel Dalhousie, #4)
  • The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday (Isabel Dalhousie, #5)
  • The Lost Art of Gratitude (Isabel Dalhousie, #6)
  • The Charming Quirks of Others (Isabel Dalhousie, #7)
  • The Forgotten Affairs Of Youth (Isabel Dalhousie, #8)
  • The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds (Isabel Dalhousie, #9)
  • The Strange Habits of Happiness: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel  (Isabel Dalhousie, #10)
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency  (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #1) Tears of the Giraffe (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #2) Morality for Beautiful Girls (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #3) The Kalahari Typing School for Men (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #4) The Full Cupboard of Life (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #5)

“Time, she felt, made quite enough claims on us, without our conniving in its relentless tyranny.” 0 likes
“Coffee could easily become lunch if one was not careful, and lunch could so comfortably slip into afternoon tea.” 0 likes