The Perils of Morning Coffee: An Isabel Dalhousie eBook Original Story

The Perils of Morning Coffee: An Isabel Dalhousie eBook Original Story (Isabel Dalhousie)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  776 ratings  ·  75 reviews
In this Isabel Dalhousie original short story, available exclusively in electronic format, our intrepid heroine - accused by a distraught wife of being the "other woman" - makes a surprising discovery as she attempts to defend her reputation.

Summer in Edinburgh is a season of delicate sunshine and showers, picnics with loved ones in blossoming gardens, and genteel celebrat...more
Published October 25th 2011 by Knopf Canada (first published January 1st 2011)

Mark
An Isabel Dalhousie novella that'll take you an hour or so to read. Vintage Alexander McCall Smith, Isabel is accused of having an affair with a married man, at which she takes great umbrage, but ferrets out the truth in the end and, in the process, thinks about things a little too much. If you like this series, this one will not disappoint.

Post Script:

How does McCall Smith churn out such good books so quickly and regularly. He publishes at least one per quarter. Here we are screaming at George...more
Sonja Arlow
I have always loved the Nr 1 Ladies Detective series by the same author and this novella served as an introduction to his Isabela Dalhousie series however I just didnt like it. The characters seemed immature, annoying and making drama out unnecessary events.
Elizabeth
I love Alexander McCall Smith so it is with a bit of reluctance that I give this book only 3 stars.

It is a short story featuring Isabel Dalhousie who is wrongly accused of having an affair by the wife of a man she met once.

There were many many memorable quotations and the writing is, of course, excellent.

The reason I only give it 3 stars is that I didn't much care for the ending.
Julie
I found the book to be a quirky, enjoyable read. While it had its moments, I also found that I felt a little detached from the plot and characters. I think this was due to the fact that it's a short story, which is part of a larger series, which I haven't read yet.

Isabel was a very original character. She's odd, but in a good, fun way, and I did enjoy reading about her. The plot was okay, but somewhat unoriginal and predictable in how it played out and how it ended. It was underwhelming for me a...more
Debra
A philosophical little story. Interesting little twist of an ending.
dancingdeer
A wonderful teaser of a story! Bring on the next in the installment!
Ivonne Rovira
Was it the slight length? Or just the slight subject matter? I can't really say with precision why I found The Perils of Morning Coffee so very unsatisfying. Available only as an eBook, at 45 pages, author Alexander McCall Smith's 2011 work is closer to a long short story than to a novella. What can happen in less than 50 pages? Well, not much. Isabel Dalhousie responds to an email sent by accident, and she ends up having lunch with the email's sender. A distraught wife accuses Isabel of engagin...more
Mandolin
What harm could an innocent meeting for morning coffee bring to a quiet life of a philosopher? When a computer glitch schedules Isabel Dalhousie for a coffee meeting with a professor from the nearby university, she decides to meet with him despite the initial mistake. Initially glad in her choice, for she finds in him a kindred spirit, she comes to later regret it when his wife unjustly accuses her of carrying on an affair with her husband. Isabel is hurt by the accusation and, as usual, cannot...more
Donna
The price being irresistible, I downloaded two little stories by two of my favorite book authors onto my Kindle. (These stories and/or others are, of course, available for other types of e-readers, as well.) This is something new: short stories or novellas featuring characters familiar from series of novels.

The Perils of Morning Coffee, by Alexander McCall Smith, featured an installment in the life of Isabel Dalhousie that I would hate to have missed. It was as deeply interesting and satisfying...more
Damaskcat
I’m a fan of this author’s No 1 Ladies Detective Agency Series but this is the first story I’ve read featuring Isabel Dalhousie. I enjoyed reading the story but found I was having to consciously slow down my reading speed in order to appreciate the philosophical asides. This is not a criticism because I actually found those asides of interest and worth thinking about. I liked the gentle humour and the huge knowledge of human nature this author displays.

If you’re not sure whether the Isabel Dalho...more
Fr. Kyle
Ed
Having read the first five books in the Sunday Philosophy Club/Isabel Dalhousie series, I thought I'd squeeze in this e-book exclusive novella to get a few more quick pages read before the end of 2011. Technically, I guess this would be considered Book 7.5 in the series, but no worries of any ongoing plot spoilers as long as you are past Book 4 (The Careful Use of Compliments) when Isabel's personal/home life took a dramatic turn.

As with the rest of the series, this was a perfectly pleasant tale...more
Christina
Interesting McCall Smith novel which I have to try to understand the subject matter to continue to finish the novel to the end. Not one of my favourite ones but then I am biased towards the No 1 Ladies Detective Series.
Marianne
The Perils of Morning Coffee is an Isabel Dalhousie short story by Alexander McCall Smith, offered in electronic book format. Isabel accepts an invitation from a fellow philosopher to meet for coffee, but is subsequently accused by the man’s wife of having an affair with him. As usual, Jamie urges caution, but Isabel is indignant about her innocence and cannot resist investigating further. And again, as usual, Isabel gets the wrong end of the stick, although this time, her misunderstanding is qu...more
Clivemichael Justice
Short. Tedious in it's philosophizing. Drags an interesting assumption into the reality of contemporary experience, then drops it and moves off.
Brett
In this novella, Isabel Dalhousie's reflections on the human condition get a little frustrated when a chance encounter over coffee with a philosophical colleague leads to accusations of her being an adulteress. Of course, this makes things personal for Isabel, & leads to some typical interference (purely undertaken to clear her good name, of course): is the accusation based on the fact that the wife is paranoid with jealousy, or is the colleague in fact having an affair? If so, with whom? Or...more
Linda
I love these characters Isabel and Jamie and their little family.
Although I knew before I started this was a short story, i was disappointed that it ended so fast. I wanted more. Cant wait until when/ifnext book comes out.
Tracy
This short story is an ebook exclusive. It's a little snippet of an event in Isabel's life. Isabel has coffee with a fellow philosopher and is then accused of having an affair with him by his wife. Isabel, of course, cannot resist setting the story straight. If you like Isabel Dalhousie, go ahead and pay the two bucks for the book.

I personally was thrilled to see Isabel using not only email, but also texting in this short story! Seems like not that long ago she didn't even have a cell phone.
Max
An excellent short story with an interesting twist.
Duckpondwithoutducks
Isabel gets invited by mistake to have coffee with a stranger, and this leads to someone accusing her of having an affair with her husband. Of course, Isabel has to find out the truth - she never can stop herself from getting involved with someone who has a problem and needs help! Reading this short ebook makes me appreciate my kindle all the more, because without an e-reader I would never have been able to read this!
Nancy Silk
This is the first works I've read by Alexander McCall Smith. He certainly has a huge following of his many, many stories. I found this story interesting with good interchanges between memorable characters. It was humorous at times, a little boring here and there, but a pleasant ending as the truth is revealed. I'm glad I read it. I'll try one of his canine stories and see if it holds my interest better than the coffee tale.
Adri
Some people might find these books 'slow', but I love the fact that they are about goodness, about right and wrong (without ever becoming preachy). I love the way he describes Edinburgh, as seen through the eyes of his characters, the poets and painters of the area. All of it makes me want to go there, experience the place, meet the people, look at the Forth of Firth. Keep writing AMS! I am a huge fan.
Shannon
Hmmm - these short stories for ebooks are interesting. I like Michael Connolly's approach of giving me at least three stories. I do like McCall Smith's books - mostly the No. 1 series - I'm getting a bit fatigued by Ms. Dalhousie and her 'thinking' and 'philosophizing' (is that a word?) about everything. I did however learn a new work - Hagiography . . . so that was worth it!
Kerry Bridges
I did enjoy this story, I liked the twist at the end that I didn't predict too. It's a very short one, and actually the last third is the start of one of the full novels which I don't mind but would like to have known as it makes the story appear t be longer than it is. I do like the way that AMS always embraces new technology though, good on him again for a "novel" idea!
David Schwartz
A very short but enjoyable romp in the world of Isabel's mind. She's just such a delightful character. I think what I like best about her is her propensity to exam the most subtle aspects of daily life and to appreciate their moral and ethical features. She just can't help herself from internally philosophizing throughout her day. She is, after all, a philosopher!
Heather
I continue to love Isabel Dalhousie and know I can always call upon her when I need a lift or want to restore my faith in humanity. Alexander McCall Smith brings his gentle Scottish philosopher to life in a story of how an innocent meeting over morning coffee can lead to misunderstanding and, eventually, empathy and a better understanding of others.
Amit
Charming little tale from Alexander McCall Smith's most endearing series: The Sunday Philosophy Club. Finally I've caught up with the man on 4 series (I don't care to on the fifth -- his most popular Ladies Detective Agency). This is a short story actually, only released as ebook, from what I know. A lovely weekend read.
Dianne Khan
At 100 pages all told, including a sample of another of McCall Smith's books, this is the shortest 'novel' I've ever read. What is there is actually lovely, as always, but I honestly thought it'd downloaded wrongly to my Kindle and had to come and do an internet search to check it was actually that short. Ripped off.
Linda
A wonderful novellette-sized addition to the Sunday Philosophy Club series - it's always nice to spend time with Isabel and her latest moral quandary - and then afterward to sit and marvel at how Alexander McCall Smith's mind must work . . . fascinating. To say anything further would be a spoiler. Enjoy!
Carl
This one felt contrived. I still prefer the PORTUGUESE IRREGULAR VERBS series to any other McCall Smith. I've been reading some P.G. Wodehouse. The two share some traits, but the nod for me goes to Wodehouse. There's something a little too gentle, too P.C. about AMcSmith for my taste.
  • Beggar's Banquet
  • Cupcakes, Sales, and Cocktails (Annie Graceland Mystery, #2)
  • Chicago Lightning
  • Relatively Dead
  • Mistletoe in Manhattan
  • Good, Clean, Murder (The Plain Jane Mysteries, #1)
  • Jaclyn's Ghost
  • Angels of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, 4)
  • Death of the Couch Potato's Wife
  • Outrage (Butch Karp, #23)
  • Twelve Drummers Drumming (Father Christmas Mystery #1)
  • Clues to Christie: The Definitive Guide to Miss Marple, Hercule Poirot, Tommy & Tuppence and All of Agatha Christie's Mysteries
  • A Christmas Promise (Christmas Stories, #7)
  • If Books Could Kill A Bibliophile Mystery (Bibliophile Mystery, #2)
  • If Snow Hadn't Fallen (Lacey Flint, #1.5)
  • The Man with the Twisted Lip (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Hell Screen (Sugawara Akitada, #5)
  • A Fatal Fleece (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #6)
Alexander McCall Smith is the author of the international phenomenon The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, the Isabel Dalhousie Series, the Portuguese Irregular Verbs series, and the 44 Scotland Street series. He is professor emeritus of medical law at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland and has served on many national and international bodies concerned with bioethics. He was born in what...more
More about Alexander McCall Smith...
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency  (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #1) Tears of the Giraffe (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #2) Morality for Beautiful Girls (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #3) The Kalahari Typing School for Men (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #4) The Full Cupboard of Life (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #5)

“Coffee could easily become lunch if one was not careful, and lunch could so comfortably slip into afternoon tea.” 0 likes