Start by marking “A Victorian Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Victorian Christmas

A Victorian Christmas

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  479 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
A beautiful patchwork of four novellas about love and joy at Christmastime by best selling author Catherine Palmer. These four novellas were previously published in four anthologies — A Victorian Christmas Quilt, A Victorian Christmas Tea, A Victorian Christmas Cottage, and A Victorian Christmas Keepsake.

Return to a time when life was uncomplicated, faith was sincere... a
Published October 1st 2009 by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Victorian Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Victorian Christmas

Loraine
SUMMARY: A beautiful patchwork of four novellas about love and joy at Christmastime by best selling author Catherine Palmer. These four novellas were previously published in four anthologies—A Victorian Christmas Quilt, A Victorian Christmas Tea, A Victorian Christmas Cottage, and A Victorian Christmas Keepsake. Return to a time when life was uncomplicated, faith was sincere … and love was a gift to be cherished forever.

REVIEW: This was a very interesting collection of novellas. The first took p
AennA
My thoughts, inspired by the book.

Unexpectedly good.

A compilation of four short stories, with one central theme - Christmas - and, make it two, - Victorian - no, make it three - God. Yes, Christmas season in a Victorian setting, with the works of God's love.

Written by Catherine Palmer, a Christy Award-winning author, A Victorian Christmas talks about Christ and His power to save us, protect us, and, of course, about His undying love. No, don't think that this book is meant to preach or force a
Rebecca (everyday reader)
I got this for free on Amazon. It has a HEAVY religious tone. But the stories are decent. But specifically there are 4 stories in this book and at the end of each there is a yummy recipe, They are all happy endings, which is good, however, they seemed far too out there in some cases, due to them believing 100% in God taking control of their fate, especially the last story. Okay read for free.
Dec 22, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, 2014-reads
I loved this collection!

All the stories were faith filled, sweet stories.

#1 Angel in the attic ~ 3 stars

A so-so story. The romance was very quick and I didn't love the main girl

#2 Lone star ~ 5 stars (my favorite of the collection)

Loved, loved, loved this one. Yes, they kinda over did the Texan, but this story was awesome. People who actually trusted God, even when trusting him was hard.

#3 Under His Wings ~ 5 stars

This was a very cute re telling of Ruth.

#4 Behold the Lamb ~ 4 stars

This should h
Brittany
Dec 08, 2011 Brittany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-challenge
I got this for free on Amazon. It has a HEAVY religious tone, and I'm really not that into that. But the stories are decent. Just not my cut of tea. But specifically there are 4 stores in this book and at the end of each there is a yummy recipe which I did love and I copied them all down to try! They are all happy endings, which is good. However they seemed far fetched in some cases, due to them believing 100% in God taking control of their fate, especially the last story. If you are into Religi ...more
Joleen
Nov 21, 2015 Joleen rated it liked it
Shelves: novella
My second Christmas book of the season turned out to be a collection of Novellas. The first was about Aaron Hyatt and Fara Canaday. Both were heirs to mining companies, neither knew the other, but their fathers did. Aaron shows up at Fara's cabin somewhere in New Mexico, half dead. She had just read about a man wanted in the shooting of a man in Phoenix who was armed and dangerous and injured. She knows it's him.
The rest of this Novella is about how Fara tends his wounds and is dead set against
Bam
A collection of four romance novellas set at Christmastime: Angel in the Attic, Lone Star, Under his Wing, Behold the Lamb. All are loosely based on Bible stories such as the Good Samaritan, the Prodigal Son, the Story of Ruth, etc. I obtained this as a free ebook download from Amazon and almost deleted it midway through the first story, which I found too full of stereotypes and worse, was set in New Mexico and not Victorian England, as I had expected. But I hung in there and found the last thre ...more
Molly
Dec 28, 2009 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of four novellas in one nice and relaxing book will bring you back in time to a place and time that is long forgotten. A place where faith in God is real and truly genuine,and life wasn't taken for granted.
I wasn't sure how this book would turn out because I have read Catherines works in the past and wasn't happy with what I read. But she surprised me with this book and it is truly a great and inspiring read!! Not only was I impressed with this book, but I also got the added bon
Tarissa
Dec 24, 2012 Tarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of novellas is a fun Christmas read! All the stories pertain to sweet romances throughout the Victorian era. Messages of Jesus Christ shine through the pages. Here are a few notes on the individual stories....

"Angel in the Attic": A rich young woman meets a man alleged to be murderous. I enjoyed Fara's fiery attitude and the way she talks in her western accent. She's a very down-to-earth character, ready to say anything on her mind. A wonderful story to start out this book!

"Lone
Eustacia Tan
Dec 24, 2012 Eustacia Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Rounding out my Christmas book reviews is this collection of stories set in, you've guessed it, the Victorian era. There are four novellas in total, so here are my thoughts, story by story. Happy reading, and Merry Christmas everyone!

Angel in the Attic - This was, strange. It basically stars two people - Lena and Hyatt, who don't want to get married. But after they meet under odd circumstances (neither knows the other is the person they're running away), they fall in love. It would be a sweet st
Gwendolyn Gage
"A Victorian Christmas" is a collection of four Christmas stories, some modeled after popular stories in the Bible, such as "The Prodigal Son", "The Good Samaritan", and the story of Ruth. They are worth light-hearted entertainment value, but being short Christmas stories that feature romance between characters meeting at the beginning...well, there's little room to properly develop the characters, and allow time enough for them to believably fall in love.

I'm giving it three stars because I espe
Camille
Feb 21, 2013 Camille rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holidays
If you want some kind of mindless Christmas-themed reading with a Christian slant, I'd highly suggest it. The writing isn't great, the plotting is a bit predictable, and the Christian themes border on pedantic, but it was an ok break from the hustle and bustle of my holiday to-do list.

Honestly, I might have given this a better rating if it weren't for on thing: the outright racism in the first story. I mean, just terrible. The lack of historical research for "A Victorian Christmas" was bad enoug
Rosemary Cantrell
Jan 26, 2016 Rosemary Cantrell rated it really liked it
This is a collection of four stories, all built around Christmas. I downloaded this as a free book to Kindle. I actually quite enjoyed these stories. One was set in the US, the other three in England. All were in the 1800's, a time that is always interesting to read about, I think. The women were especially strong and interesting characters in each story. All had faith and relied on that faith as they faced their various trials. It was enjoyable to see love win in the end at Christmas.
Nicole
Dec 14, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
I love the Victorian era, and I love Christmas. I figured this book would be a total winner with me. I was a tad bit disappointed because yes, the stories all take place in the Christmas season but Christmas itself is not the main emphasis of these novellas. I think I was also hoping for tales of adorable Victorian children hearing tales of Father Christmas and families gathering around a bright, beautiful tree while singing songs and sipping wassail.

This is not at all the tone these stories ha
Suzanne Williams
Dec 26, 2011 Suzanne Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These 4 stories are beautiful examples of Christian Fiction Romance. Each story was different enough from the last that they were not repetitive at all. In particular, I liked the last story. It contained the most surprises in plot. The Gospel message is presented clearly within each story in a manner that doesn't ruin the plot of the story itself. The setting of each takes you directly to the time and place of the story, and the added Christmas setting was enjoyable. There were a few point of v ...more
Karen
Dec 16, 2011 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A beautiful patchwork of four novellas about love and joy at Christmastime by best selling author Catherine Palmer. These four novellas were previously published in four anthologies: A Victorian Christmas Quilt, A Victorian Christmas Tea, A Victorian Christmas Cottage, and A Victorian Christmas Keepsake.

Return to a time when life was uncomplicated, faith was sincere and love was a gift to be cherished forever. Includes author's favorite holiday recipes

Free Kindle download of fluffy Christmas
Heather Bireley
Nov 04, 2015 Heather Bireley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the stories in this book a lot. They spoke of faith that moved mountains and how people can change.
R.G. Phelps
Jan 14, 2016 R.G. Phelps rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading Catherine's Victorian Christmas, as her collection of Christmas stories were so very special. These stories brought to me the total reason for the season, her love for Christ. My heart has been filled with joy through the reading of these stories and my wishes are that others will have the opportunity to read them at this and future Christmases. Enjoy, and God Bless!
Kaye
Okay stories despite the preachiness and goody-two-shoes-converts-sinner characters.
Margaret Metz
Dec 21, 2011 Margaret Metz rated it liked it
These were nice stories that felt very familiar to me even though I checked and I haven't read the books that are listed as having had these stories published in them before. In any case, I liked them, but felt as if something was missing --- like they could have been even better as full length novels of their own. Each had enough to merit their own story.

I think it was that rushed feeling that left me feeling a bit dissatisfied. Otherwise these were great stories. I love the time period and th
Sue
Dec 19, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three sweet love stories in one volume...
Kaycee
Dec 28, 2015 Kaycee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
Took me awhile to finish since I decided to read it during the holiday season where all gifts needed to be wrapped and some cookies needed to be baked. Four wonderful stories told during the Victorian period each with its own back story, recipe, influence of Christianity, and romance. A beautiful collection of stories that are great to be read during the Christmas season. Can't wait to try the recipes included from each story.
Dianne Christner
Jan 09, 2012 Dianne Christner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved three of the four stories in this Christmas Anthology. I may be wrong, but it seemed to me that the author used stories from the Bible as inspiration for the four stories. I saw the good Samaritan theme in "Angel in the Attic". "Lone Star" resembled the prodigal son. "Under His Wing" reminded me of the story of Ruth. The last, "The Lamb of God" referred to Jesus as the lamb and was the perfect Christmas story.
Susan
Loved the first 2 of 4 stories. They were short and yet very sweet. they are definitely Christian based stories and very well done. The third was ok, not as good- a little to much "God is in charge of my life" and not enough action to help him out. Too much faith without works. The 4th was good too, a story of an arranged marriage and Christ like forgiveness. What is of greater worth, material possessions or religious belief.
Melissa
Dec 25, 2014 Melissa rated it did not like it
Blech. Couldn't handle the cheese.
Stacia
Probably more like 3.5 stars. This was simply a reminder why I don't like novellas. I didn't realize that this was four novellas in one book. (Score: Paperback - 1, Kindle - 5681) :) Anyhow, the stories in and of themselves were good and enjoyable with loveable characters, especially the second. However, once I started really getting into the story it was over and I was on to the next.
Debra
Dec 22, 2012 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, 2012, romance
This is a collection of four novellas. I really liked each one. They were all very different from each other, but they were all Christmas romances. I especially liked the beautiful picture of true servant-hood to Christ and the redemption of other characters as they witnessed the servant's heart of the main characters. They were very inspirational.
Gail
Dec 26, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book to read in Dec. which is when I read it. It'd be good to read any time, but it just happened I ended up reading it in Dec. Four short stories all with a Christmas theme and how the main character ended up falling in love. Each with a different setting, but all in the same era. One did resemble the story of Ruth & Naomi from the Bible.
Kerstin
For the most part the stories are light and cozy.
As a rule I don't mind elements of faith in stories, even welcome it when well done. However, these are heavy-handed in a fundamentalist direction with gratuitous derision towards mainstream christian traditions. It is not worth my time.
Elizabeth Olson
This trio of novellas, though all set in the Victorian era, differ in geography, ranging from Texas to Wales. What all three have in common is vivid likable characters, Christmas as the backdrop, and love that comes out right in the end -- sweet fluff that suits the season.
  • One Imperfect Christmas
  • An Irish Christmas
  • O Little Town
  • Finding Christmas: Stories of Startling Joy and Perfect Peace
  • A Home For Christmas (Angel Ridge, #2)
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • Mary's Son
  • White as Snow: A Christmas Story
  • A Simple Amish Christmas
  • A Dixie Christmas
  • Christmas Redemption
  • Remembering Christmas
  • A Christmas Jar for Santa - A Christmas Jars Story
  • The Everything Family Christmas Book: Stories, Songs, Recipes, Crafts, Traditions, and More!
  • Angel Be Good
  • Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa
  • A Regency Holiday
  • Holiday Rush

Catherine Palmer lives in Atlanta with her husband, Tim, where they serve as missionaries in a refugee community. They have two grown sons. Cathy is a graduate of Southwest Baptist University and holds a master's degree in English from Baylor University. Her first book was published in 1988. Since then she has
More about Catherine Palmer...

“At Christmas, we remember God’s gift to us by giving gifts to each other.” 0 likes