Start by marking “Keeping the World Strange: A Planetary Guide” as Want to Read:
Keeping the World Strange:  A Planetary Guide

Keeping the World Strange: A Planetary Guide

PLANETARY excavated the secret history of the super-hero genre and in the process helped set that genre's future. KEEPING THE WORLD STRANGE offers an archaeology of the archaeologists, examining PLANETARY and revisionism, decompression, future studies, proactive vs. reactive super-heroes, conceptions of the multiverse, and more. These essays offer new and different vantage ...more
Paperback, revised first edition, 180 pages
Published November 28th 2011 by Sequart Research & Literacy Organization (first published September 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping the World Strange, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping the World Strange

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloudMen of Tomorrow by Gerard JonesThe Ten-Cent Plague by David HajduMaking Comics by Scott McCloudKirby by Mark Evanier
books about comics
15th out of 131 books — 75 voters
We, the Drowned by Carsten JensenThe Chess Machine by Robert LöhrThe Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil GaimanThe Other Side of Eve by Paul IkinWatching People Burn by Julian Darius
Beautiful Book Cover Design
85th out of 531 books — 162 voters

More lists with this book...

Roger Royer
Aug 23, 2014 Roger Royer rated it really liked it
Recommended to Roger by: Goodreads Giveaway
Shelves: comics, non-fiction
This book is an interesting look at not only the series known as Planetary but also at the comic book genre in general. It made me think about comics in ways I never had before and pointed out many of the philosophical differences that I never saw. I now have a deeper appreciation for comics and one series in particular.

Over all I wish I could have found more issues of the comic than I did when it was running and now I think I may have to go and look for the issues I missed.

Lloyd
Nov 07, 2011 Lloyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2010s
While one would have hoped for an intricate and vivid dissection of the comic books series "Planetary" in this book, like the ones Sequart has produced about past works, this one was still rather interesting.

Essays from a number of voices examine all sorts of aspects of Warren Ellis' masterpiece, touching on some that even repeat readers may have never even considered.

A great companion to an absolutely stellar work of sequential art and one that I'd recommend to ANY fan of "Planetary".
Kelly Knapp
Jul 19, 2012 Kelly Knapp rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any comic afficionado, teachers using comics and graphic novels for reluctant readers
Recommended to Kelly by: Goodreads Firstreads giveaway
I have only become an aficionado of Planetary recently. The comics ran from the early 2000s to 2009 as a bimonthly consisting of a total of 27 issues. Rather than being a superhero comic, this is about finding the secret history of everything super-hero. One of its greatest concepts is the multiverse, described as "a theoretical snowflake existing in 196,833 dimensional space.”

This book, Keeping the World Strange: A Planetary Guide, is a gallimaufry of articles written by other aficionados about
thistlepong
I wanted to like this more than I did. There were some reasonably coherent pieces and even one that took a few chances and really went somewhere. A lot of text was spent on the three crossover issues, the split between the first and second "halves" of the story, and the inconsistent release schedule. There's little new for a Planetary fan, here. And there's nothing to engage a new reader.
Neal
Aug 14, 2012 Neal rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This book is a collection of essays about Warren Ellis' and John Cassady's graphic novel series, Planetary. The essays are of varying quality, with some only skimming the surface of the series, and others getting pretty in-depth into the underpinnings of the series, what makes it tick, and its place in comics history and relation to other graphic novels. I'd recommend it for big Planetary fans - if you haven't read Planetary, or didn't love it, there's no need to read this.
Alex Hern
Dec 03, 2011 Alex Hern rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Some great essays, one terrible one. The best ones weren't about Planetary so much as comics in general, and I have to say, one of the things I'd have really liked - a reference guide - was absent. Ah well.
Terry Quirke
Mar 09, 2015 Terry Quirke rated it liked it
An interesting set of essays about the excellent comic book series Planetary, makes you think even more on the various ideas raised in the series run.
Julian Darius
Dec 11, 2011 Julian Darius rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: sequart
Shane Giroux
Shane Giroux rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2014
Kevin Thurman
Jan 03, 2012 Kevin Thurman rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Micah Thomas
Micah Thomas rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2012
Mike Mikos
Mike Mikos rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2014
Ellen Mellor
Ellen Mellor rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Scotto Moore
Scotto Moore rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2015
John P. Jensen
John P. Jensen rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Andrew Bayer
Andrew Bayer rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2014
Patrick O'Duffy
Patrick O'Duffy rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Jake
Jake rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Harper W. Harris
Harper W. Harris rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Billy Hogan
Billy Hogan rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Tim Schneider
Tim Schneider rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2013
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Chris Craven
Chris Craven rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Francis De
Francis De rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Adan
Adan rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
  • Voyage in Noise: Warren Ellis and the Demise of Western Civilization
  • Shot in the Face: A Savage Journey to the Heart of Transmetropolitan
  • Improving the Foundations: Batman Begins from Comics to Screen
  • The Devil is in the Details: Examining Matt Murdock and Daredevil
  • The Ultimate Weird Tales Collection - 133 stories - Clark Ashton Smith (Trilogus Classics)
  • From Hell Companion
  • Curing the Postmodern Blues: Reading Grant Morrison and Chris Weston's The Filth in the 21st Century
  • Saucer Country Vol. 1: Run