The Girl Games (Super Special)

The Girl Games (Goddess Girls)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  464 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The first-ever standalone superspecial in the Goddess Girls series—let the games begin!

Athena, Medusa, Artemis, and Persephone are sick and tired of being left out of the annual boys-only Olympic Games. Their solution? The Girl Games! But as the Goddess Girls work to make their dream into a reality, they come up against plenty of chaos and competition. Told in al...more
Published July 10th 2012 by Aladdin (first published July 1st 2012)

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Goddess Test by Aimee CarterStarcrossed by Josephine AngeliniThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
YA Mythology Challenge
155th out of 262 books — 316 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
Greek Mythology
115th out of 308 books — 224 voters

More lists with this book...

Diamond
What a cute story!

This was my second book that I read in the Goddess Girls series. It's a middle grade series that takes the classic myths and puts a modern spin to them. It's centered around the goddesses of Greek mythology as their tween selves-- all attending MOA, Mt. Olympus Academy.

I really enjoyed reading about Athena, Aphrodite, Artemis, and Persephone as they held the first ever girl Olympics. Of course the godboys were also part of the story-- each girl has a crush (hint: the crushes...more
Dorine White
The Goddess Girls are back, and this time in a super special edition. Written by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams, this popular middle grade series takes on the world of the Olympics in, Goddess Girls- The Girl Games.

The Story- Zeus has finally agreed to let the goddess girls hold their own completion, the Heraean Games. Artemis, Persephone, Aphrodite, and Athena are ready to go, each competing in both the group cheer challenge and individual sports.

Of course, problems arise. Artemis takes it up...more
Sophie
The first-ever standalone superspecial in the Goddess Girls series; let the games begin!

(cough) It's not standalone (cough). I know the authors know what their talking about etc. etc BUT this book is not a standalone. It would be best read after Medusa the Mean (a kind of 8.5 if you wish). The only reason I can see it being called a standalone is because it's written in a different style to the others - alternating chapter points of views from the main 4.

I'm going to get the things I didn't lik...more
Linda Jaejoong
Endlich beginnen die Olympischen Spiele nur für Mädchen. Das Buch ist aus Sicht von Artemis, Persephone, Athene und Aphrodite geschrieben. Sie wechseln sich Kapitel für Kapitel ab, was der Handlung immer wieder einen frischen Aufschwung gibt. Es gibt auch eine Menge neuer Figuren im Buch zu entdecken, die hoffentlich in Zukunft auch ab und zu mal wieder vorkommen.

Artemis hat in diesem Band mal wieder einen Nerv bei mir getroffen. Sie muss alles alleine machen und ist zu stolz andere um Hilfe zu...more
Small Review
Four times the awesome of a regular Goddess Girls book!
Daisy
:D This book was SOOOOOO great! I think the one thing that was going through my head after finishing it was: "I am never letting this book out of my sight!" You could probably find a few errors with it if you wanted to, and I know it's not perfect, but it has to be one of the most-feel good books EVER! I smiled through virtually the whole second half and for ages afterwards. Each chapter was from a different one of the four goddess girls' point of view. I found this so refreshing and it was cool...more
Jessica Day
Okay, I’m coming clean. When I was younger I had no idea what the Olympic Games were. All I could gather was that it came every couple of years and I couldn’t watch the Disney Channel because my mom would be yelling at the television. Had The Girl Games been published when I was a kid, perhaps I would not have been in the dark.
The Girl Games is an adorable reinterpretation of the Olympic Games. This time, it is girls only and our favorite young goddesses are competing. Each chapter is a differen...more
Angelc
"The Girl Games" is the first Super Special edition of the Goddess Girls series, and hopefully it won't be the last! Just in time for the Summer Olympics in London, the girls are hosting the very first Olympics just for girls! They have come up with some super cute finishing touches for their girl games including pink sand in the long jump pits, and the most adorable stuffed beanbag animals to hand off in the relays instead of batons.

The book is extra lengthy for those of us who can't get enough...more
Elizabeth
This is part of the Goddess Girl series by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams that I absolutely LOVE! I've kept up with the regular series, but this "super special" publication is not part of their regular series, but a side story. The story focuses on the fact that the girls of MOA really wanted to have a Girl's Only-Olympics since they were shut out of the regular Olympics that MOA hosted in one of the other novels in the series. However, the girls of MOA have to learn lessons in order to make th...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Just in time for the Summer Olympics in London, fans of The Goddess Girls will love diving into this special summer hit!

What could be more exciting to the Goddess Girls series than a book that focuses on Olympic style games for the girls. Though this new release is a stand alone, fans of this series will be sure to enjoy every moment of this exciting story line. Told from alternating points of views, this story stays true to everything I have loved about this series and introduces some new chara...more
Young Mensans
Boy do our kids love these Goddess Girls books! Every single one a five-star, no matter who I send them to! Amazing!

This one is in all of the usual spots.

The Girl Games is about how four of the goddess girls from Mount Olympus Academy create the first-ever girls-only Olympics. Girls and goddesses from around the world come to compete, but the Goddess Girls can’t get everything together for the games! Then they find out the games might be canceled! If the games were canceled they wouldn’t get ano...more
Alex
At First Sight: After weeks of planning, the Girl Games - a Girls Only version of the Olympic games - are about to take place at Mount Olympus Academy, with goddess girls and special mortals for all over the world coming to visit, and Athena, Artemis, Persephone and Aphrodite are in the middle of things.

Athena is excited about the games, but with her crush, Heracles, away on a sports competition of his own, she feels a little lonely. And there is a little kid who keeps coming around Athena's Dad...more
Aeryial
The Goddess Girls is a amazing group of girls who work together to win, the Goddess Girls want to win.
Each Boy trained each girl because only boy used to get to compete in the game. But then the Goddess girls talked to the head master Zues and let the games begin.
Many Goddesses came to win there school a trophy and make history as the first Goddess to win The Girl Games. Each girl played to there best strength. Some teams were nice and the other teams only focused on winning and bragging in the...more
Kate M
This book has been sitting on my shelf for a couple years and I finally got to reading it. I kind of enjoyed it and would recommend it for younger kids probably under 10.
Callah
It was great. If you read mythology, you would understand the contents because it about people in mythology only added witha twist. But challenge yourself and read without any knowledge about mythology!
Class
Molly thinks...

The book was exciting and had fun with a bit of mystery. If you like mythology with a twist, then you will like this book.
Caroline Gilson
it was amaz its was aful that perphone ans afhrotie fought over a kitty.and artimis is cruch now is he r new boyfriend yes no?
Shanda Kinkade
This GG book was different in the setup, with each chapter being designated for a different Goddess Girl. It was also set in the course of a few days - the Girl Olympics. Overall, it was an enjoyable read.

Even though the story was a tad on the cheesy side and the obvious lesson was involved, the story was cute and fun. I really liked how it introduced the different mythological people and gave info on them. What a great way for younger people to learn mythology. I would definitely suggest this s...more
Anneke
greek goddesses... here they come.
Poo
it is a great book and a great series
Doug
I won a copy of this book through goodreads for my 6-year old niece. It's a little advanced for her (I should have looked at the description when I entered) but she is really enjoying it so far. She's on chapter 5 and she told me it's about the Olympics and she likes all of the goddesses.

update: My niece told me she had finished the book and enjoyed the story and all of the goddess girls.
Diana
I loved the way Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams worked together to form the perfect book for young girls who love to read about mythology. It has the perfect amount of modern teenage life along with twisting Greek myths to make it fun to read! I just love the series! It is great for all girls who love to cuddle up with a great book!
Mica Lauren
Brianna White
The Girl Games by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams is about Athena, Aphrodite, Artemis, and Persephone being sick and tired of being left out of the annual boys only olympic games so they came up with the girl games. But to make their dream a reality they had to deal with a lot of chaos and competition.
Michelle Tempted By Books
This story didn't have any basis in mythology it was just a fun book with lessons on friendship, sharing and asking for help. Once again I really enjoyed this book. The premise of the series is super fun and the more kid friendly version of ancient mythology topics is wonderful.
Emma
Renetta
Jul 02, 2012 Renetta marked it as to-read
Ok I know I should thinking of my granddaughter for this book but... I can't wait to find out about these games! I'm still a kid at heart I guess.
Sydney
i really really liked the part when the boys did a after party and they pretended to be cheerleaders and they tumbled every where it was hilarious.
Tian Lin
I thought it was pretty good. I like when two of the friends were fighting and I also loved the moral of this story.
Angelica Galanis
this book was really good, I'm going to read the rest of the goddess girl books now
Who is your favourite godboy or goddessgirl... 2 4 Apr 24, 2014 07:23AM
Book Discussions ...: The Girl Games 1 4 Mar 12, 2013 03:39PM
  • Nice Shot, Cupid! (Myth-O-Mania, #4)
  • Oh My Gods!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Gods of Mythology (Mythlopedia)
  • Kiss Me Tomorrow
  • Pandora Gets Frightened (Mythic Misadventures #7)
  • Ghost Horse (Phantom Rider, #1)
  • Partners in Crime (Sleuth or Dare, #1)
  • The Hero's Guide to Being an Outlaw (The League of Princes, #3)
  • Sugar and Spice (Confectionately Yours, #3)
  • 11 Birthdays; Finally; and 13 Gifts
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • The Highs and Lows of Being Mia (The Princess Diaries, #3-4)
  • Dress (Once Upon A Prom, #2)
  • The Complete Ramona Collection (Ramona #1-8)
  • Cinderella: The Graphic Novel (Graphic Spin)
  • Magic Knight Rayearth I, Boxed Set (Magic Knight Rayearth, #1-3)
  • Love Bites (My Sister the Vampire, #6)
Author of MIGHTY DADS (a NYTimes bestseller, illus by James Dean); LITTLE RED WRITING (illus by Melissa Sweet); the GODDESS GIRLS series (co-author Suzanne Williams); ZERO THE HERO (illus Tom Litchtenheld); and many other books for children. I'm really bad at going to bed on time, and in related news, also bad at getting up early.
More about Joan Holub...
Athena the Brain (Goddess Girls, #1) Aphrodite the Beauty (Goddess Girls, #3) Persephone the Phony (Goddess Girls, #2) Artemis the Brave (Goddess Girls, #4) Athena the Wise (Goddess Girls, #5)