Start by marking “The Girl Games (Super Special)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Games (Super Special)

The Girl Games (Goddess Girls)

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  1,041 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
The first-ever standalone superspecial in the Goddess Girls series—let the games begin!

Athena, Medusa, Artemis, and Persephone are sick and tired of being left out of the annual boys-only Olympic Games. Their solution? The Girl Games! But as the Goddess Girls work to make their dream into a reality, they come up against plenty of chaos and competition. Told in alternating
Published July 10th 2012 by Aladdin (first published July 1st 2012)

Diamond
Sep 08, 2013 Diamond rated it liked it
What a cute story!

This was my second book that I read in the Goddess Girls series. It's a middle grade series that takes the classic myths and puts a modern spin to them. It's centered around the goddesses of Greek mythology as their tween selves-- all attending MOA, Mt. Olympus Academy.

I really enjoyed reading about Athena, Aphrodite, Artemis, and Persephone as they held the first ever girl Olympics. Of course the godboys were also part of the story-- each girl has a crush (hint: the crushes
Dorine White
Jul 08, 2012 Dorine White rated it really liked it
The Goddess Girls are back, and this time in a super special edition. Written by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams, this popular middle grade series takes on the world of the Olympics in, Goddess Girls- The Girl Games.

The Story- Zeus has finally agreed to let the goddess girls hold their own completion, the Heraean Games. Artemis, Persephone, Aphrodite, and Athena are ready to go, each competing in both the group cheer challenge and individual sports.

Of course, problems arise. Artemis takes it up
Lisa
Dec 08, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok
I think that this was the first book in the series that I found a little disappointing. It's a full-length novel, but doesn't follow the typical "from one POV" method (instead bouncing between characters) from all the previous books (as also noted by the different title), though I'd guess that it's a relevant enough storyline that it will be referenced in later books. I think one of the main parts that I disliked was the concept of "Girl Games" at all - of course, I thought when the girls fought ...more
Small Review
Four times the awesome of a regular Goddess Girls book!
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Just in time for the Summer Olympics in London, fans of The Goddess Girls will love diving into this special summer hit!

What could be more exciting to the Goddess Girls series than a book that focuses on Olympic style games for the girls. Though this new release is a stand alone, fans of this series will be sure to enjoy every moment of this exciting story line. Told from alternating points of views, this story stays true to everything I have loved about this series and introduces some new chara
Alex
At First Sight: After weeks of planning, the Girl Games - a Girls Only version of the Olympic games - are about to take place at Mount Olympus Academy, with goddess girls and special mortals for all over the world coming to visit, and Athena, Artemis, Persephone and Aphrodite are in the middle of things.

Athena is excited about the games, but with her crush, Heracles, away on a sports competition of his own, she feels a little lonely. And there is a little kid who keeps coming around Athena's Dad
Abby
May 25, 2015 Abby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
At Mount Olympus Academy (MOA for short), the students or rather the girls are getting ready to host the first ever girl games. For this occasion the Principal Zeus and his wife Hera invited goddessgirls and mortal girls from all around the world to attend the games. Artemis who started the idea for the event is seriously troubled, she is stressed about organizing the event and the fact that an Amazon girl (Penthesilea) is swooping around her crush Actaeon. Then there is Aphrodite and Persephone ...more
Angelc
Jul 07, 2012 Angelc rated it it was amazing
"The Girl Games" is the first Super Special edition of the Goddess Girls series, and hopefully it won't be the last! Just in time for the Summer Olympics in London, the girls are hosting the very first Olympics just for girls! They have come up with some super cute finishing touches for their girl games including pink sand in the long jump pits, and the most adorable stuffed beanbag animals to hand off in the relays instead of batons.

The book is extra lengthy for those of us who can't get enough
Daisy
:D This book was SOOOOOO great! I think the one thing that was going through my head after finishing it was: "I am never letting this book out of my sight!" You could probably find a few errors with it if you wanted to, and I know it's not perfect, but it has to be one of the most-feel good books EVER! I smiled through virtually the whole second half and for ages afterwards. Each chapter was from a different one of the four goddess girls' point of view. I found this so refreshing and it was cool ...more
RSterling
Aug 07, 2012 RSterling rated it really liked it
Okay, I’m coming clean. When I was younger I had no idea what the Olympic Games were. All I could gather was that it came every couple of years and I couldn’t watch the Disney Channel because my mom would be yelling at the television. Had The Girl Games been published when I was a kid, perhaps I would not have been in the dark.
The Girl Games is an adorable reinterpretation of the Olympic Games. This time, it is girls only and our favorite young goddesses are competing. Each chapter is a differen
Sophie
The first-ever standalone superspecial in the Goddess Girls series; let the games begin!

(cough) It's not standalone (cough). I know the authors know what their talking about etc. etc BUT this book is not a standalone. It would be best read after Medusa the Mean (a kind of 8.5 if you wish). The only reason I can see it being called a standalone is because it's written in a different style to the others - alternating chapter points of views from the main 4.

I'm going to get the things I didn't lik
Elizabeth
Mar 10, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is part of the Goddess Girl series by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams that I absolutely LOVE! I've kept up with the regular series, but this "super special" publication is not part of their regular series, but a side story. The story focuses on the fact that the girls of MOA really wanted to have a Girl's Only-Olympics since they were shut out of the regular Olympics that MOA hosted in one of the other novels in the series. However, the girls of MOA have to learn lessons in order to make th ...more
Linda Jaejoong
Jan 12, 2014 Linda Jaejoong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-until-2017
Endlich beginnen die Olympischen Spiele nur für Mädchen. Das Buch ist aus Sicht von Artemis, Persephone, Athene und Aphrodite geschrieben. Sie wechseln sich Kapitel für Kapitel ab, was der Handlung immer wieder einen frischen Aufschwung gibt. Es gibt auch eine Menge neuer Figuren im Buch zu entdecken, die hoffentlich in Zukunft auch ab und zu mal wieder vorkommen.

Artemis hat in diesem Band mal wieder einen Nerv bei mir getroffen. Sie muss alles alleine machen und ist zu stolz andere um Hilfe zu
American Mensa
Jul 25, 2013 American Mensa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books
Boy do our kids love these Goddess Girls books! Every single one a five-star, no matter who I send them to! Amazing!

This one is in all of the usual spots.

The Girl Games is about how four of the goddess girls from Mount Olympus Academy create the first-ever girls-only Olympics. Girls and goddesses from around the world come to compete, but the Goddess Girls can’t get everything together for the games! Then they find out the games might be canceled! If the games were canceled they wouldn’t get ano
Shanda Kinkade
Dec 11, 2012 Shanda Kinkade rated it really liked it
This GG book was different in the setup, with each chapter being designated for a different Goddess Girl. It was also set in the course of a few days - the Girl Olympics. Overall, it was an enjoyable read.

Even though the story was a tad on the cheesy side and the obvious lesson was involved, the story was cute and fun. I really liked how it introduced the different mythological people and gave info on them. What a great way for younger people to learn mythology. I would definitely suggest this s
Elizabeth
Mar 16, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Fun book! Even though this is a children's book I still like to read it because it's a nice twist on Greek mythology and the gods and goddesses!

I think this particular book wasn't one of the ones I enjoyed... There a lot of ridiculous drama that I found was girlish but the ending of this novel was one of those "feel good endings"...

So overall ok book but I didn't particularly liked it... Looking forward to the next one!
Zosia Parkulab
Jan 21, 2016 Zosia Parkulab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was awesome. I especially liked the part where Hercules was planning the surprise party for Aprodhide, Athena, Persephone, and Artemis and the rest of the girls participating in the Girl Games. This book also got really interesting when Aprodhide found and rescued an abandoned kitten named Adonis in the Immortal Market Place behind the bushes.
This book was super cool and i loved it :)
Ariel Noble
May 13, 2015 Ariel Noble rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goddess Girls: The Girl Games by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams is a charming short novel about the greek goddess girls that live at Mt. Olympus School. They are tired of being outshone by the all-powerful boys, so they start their own competition: The Girl Games! This is basically a series of small challenges that goddesses from all over come to Olympus to compete in. Join along as this entertaining group of girls finds their inner girl-power, and maybe some cute, foreign boys along the way!
April Duclos
Dec 22, 2015 April Duclos rated it really liked it
I truly enjoy this quick-paced and happy series. More light drama with friendships and "like"-ships as well as a new kitten, and of course all the business of getting a great set of Girl Olympics going! This book shifts focus each chapter from one character to another so you get the flavor of what each of these friends is thinking; a unique way to handle the series thus far. It worked well but does take place over a rather short span of time (2-3 days??).
Brianna White
Aug 26, 2012 Brianna White rated it it was amazing
The Girl Games by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams is about Athena, Aphrodite, Artemis, and Persephone being sick and tired of being left out of the annual boys only olympic games so they came up with the girl games. But to make their dream a reality they had to deal with a lot of chaos and competition.
Mica Lauren
Dec 25, 2012 Mica Lauren rated it it was amazing
Doug
Jul 03, 2012 Doug rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy of this book through goodreads for my 6-year old niece. It's a little advanced for her (I should have looked at the description when I entered) but she is really enjoying it so far. She's on chapter 5 and she told me it's about the Olympics and she likes all of the goddesses.

update: My niece told me she had finished the book and enjoyed the story and all of the goddess girls.
Diana
Feb 02, 2013 Diana rated it liked it
I loved the way Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams worked together to form the perfect book for young girls who love to read about mythology. It has the perfect amount of modern teenage life along with twisting Greek myths to make it fun to read! I just love the series! It is great for all girls who love to cuddle up with a great book!
Callah Fay
Jun 26, 2014 Callah Fay rated it it was amazing
It was great. If you read mythology, you would understand the contents because it about people in mythology only added witha twist. But challenge yourself and read without any knowledge about mythology!
Michelle Tempted By Books
Feb 05, 2013 Michelle Tempted By Books rated it really liked it
This story didn't have any basis in mythology it was just a fun book with lessons on friendship, sharing and asking for help. Once again I really enjoyed this book. The premise of the series is super fun and the more kid friendly version of ancient mythology topics is wonderful.
Emma
Kaytee
Nov 23, 2016 Kaytee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Class
Jun 23, 2014 Class rated it it was amazing
Molly thinks...

The book was exciting and had fun with a bit of mystery. If you like mythology with a twist, then you will like this book.
Kate
Mar 09, 2014 Kate rated it liked it
This book has been sitting on my shelf for a couple years and I finally got to reading it. I kind of enjoyed it and would recommend it for younger kids probably under 10.
Angelica Galanis
this book was really good, I'm going to read the rest of the goddess girl books now
Who is your favourite godboy or goddessgirl... 2 5 Apr 24, 2014 07:23AM
Book Discussions ...: The Girl Games 1 4 Mar 12, 2013 03:39PM
  • Pandora Gets Greedy (Mythic Misadventures #6)
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • Magic Knight Rayearth I, Boxed Set (Magic Knight Rayearth, #1-3)
  • She's All That!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Goddesses of Mythology
  • Say Cheese, Medusa! (Myth-O-Mania, #3)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Cinderella: The Graphic Novel (Graphic Spin)
  • Kiss Me Tomorrow
  • Date (Once Upon A Prom, #3)
  • Something New (Confectionately Yours, #4)
  • The Final Battle... For Now (Sisters Eight, #9)
  • Rules for Secret Keeping
  • The Highs and Lows of Being Mia (The Princess Diaries, #3-4)
  • 11 Birthdays; Finally; and 13 Gifts
  • Partners in Crime (Sleuth or Dare, #1)
  • The Gorgon in the Gully
  • Bloody Valentine
  • The True Meaning of Cleavage
Children's book author:
TOOL SCHOOL; MIGHTY DADS (a NY Times bestseller); LITTLE RED WRITING; the GODDESS GIRLS series (with Suzanne Williams); THIS LITTLE PRESIDENT, A Presidential Primer; ZERO THE HERO. Lucky to be doing what I love.
More about Joan Holub...

Goddess Girls (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Athena the Brain (Goddess Girls, #1)
  • Persephone the Phony (Goddess Girls, #2)
  • Aphrodite the Beauty (Goddess Girls, #3)
  • Artemis the Brave (Goddess Girls, #4)
  • Athena the Wise (Goddess Girls, #5)
  • Aphrodite the Diva (Goddess Girls, #6)
  • Artemis the Loyal (Goddess Girls, #7)
  • Medusa the Mean (Goddess Girls, #8)
  • Pandora the Curious (Goddess Girls, #9)
  • Pheme the Gossip (Goddess Girls, #10)