The Fox Effect: How Roger Ailes Turned a Network into a Propaganda Machine

The Fox Effect: How Roger Ailes Turned a Network into a Propaganda Machine

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Based on the meticulous research of the news watchdog organization Media Matters for America, David Brock and Ari Rabin-Havt show how Fox News, under its president Roger Ailes, changed from a right-leaning news network into a partisan advocate for the Republican Party.

The Fox Effect follows the career of Ailes from his early work as a television producer and media consult...more
Published February 21st 2012 by Anchor Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Fox Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fox Effect

Marvin
This is one of those books that preaches to my personal choir. The fact that Fox News is far from "Fair and Balanced" should not surprise any intelligent person. A few years ago, Robert Greenwald's excellent documentary Outfoxed covered much of this material. Yet this book by the people at Media Matters goes a step further. They show how by 2009, Fox News developed from a "news" provider with biased reporting and questionable standards to a unabashed supporter and organizer for the Republican Pa...more
Jim Razinha
I have to disclose that I have been crying for Fox News, or as I often refer to them, "MockNews", to drop the "Fair and Balanced" tag for a long time or at least do what Vince McMahon did and embrace the lie as entertainment, so I read this book with an admitted bias. I'm glad there is Media Matters to watch these guys and call their BS. Oh, I do think they (Media Matters) can be a bit zealous at times...and nitpicking, but one has to admire the people who crawl into the cesspool that is Fox New...more
Ray
This book is most likely to inspire a number of "hated it" as well as a number of "loved it" responses, since it discusses one of our most sensitive topics, e.g., partisan politics. The Country seems to be as polarized as it's ever been, and ideologues from the left and the right are sure to weigh in on this book.

The left and the right seem to battle like prosecutor and defense counsel in the criminal trials. And like trial lawyers who only present one side of an argument, and will offer theori...more
Jason
I have not read this book yet. But neither has the person who slapped a one-star review upon it. So let's just go ahead and re-set the ratings. It's got a knee-jerk one-star rating and a knee-jerk five star rating. Now, what does it actually deserve?
BooksAndTea
"Fox BAD!" is the most basic gist of the book. Co-written by David Brock, Ari Rabin-Havt and Media Matters, the book is essentially a publication of what MM puts out. While personally I would side with MM than Fox, the book just wasn't very well-written and I didn't care for the bias. I suppose I should have known that this book would be biased considering that the Media Matters logo appears on the cover, but I was thoroughly bored by the text.

The book follows a series of events and breaks down...more
Lisa Mitchell
This book is my first review on GoodReads and I hope I’m going about this properly.

The Fox Effect: How Roger Ailes Turned a Network into a Propaganda Machine was a read that was unsettling and saddening for me. To see, and in a way, relive…the evolution of propaganda news and its cycles chronicled (and sourced) the way this book does was close to overwhelming. It made me question the overall affect of what this type of discourse is doing to America’s society and democracy as a whole. When the sy...more
Todd Martin
Anyone who has the slightest ability to think rationally recognizes that Fox News acts as the sleazy propaganda arm of the republican politburo and studies have shown that it's viewers are among the least informed of the American citizenry. In The Fox Effect, authors David Brock and Ari Rabin-Havt document the many ways Fox lies, distorts, and manipulates the news to serve their conservative ideology and in fact, reveal the lie that it's primary purpose is as a 'news' organization.

Unfortunately...more
Sally
It's hard not to use the cliche adjective "frightening" to describe the revelations in The Fox Effect. For example, Fox "News" head (and former legendary Republican operative) Roger Ailes can send a memo saying, for example, to start stigmatizing the Affordable Health Care Act as "government-run health care", and almost immediately, all Fox "News" personnel, including those who insist they are legitimate journalists and deserve to be taken seriously, change their language to conform to Roger Ail...more
Todd
There's not much in general terms I didn't know about Fox's antics with Ailes at the head, but this book documents page after page of unethical and immoral practices that should be illegal in a civilised society, a civilised society being a world where reporting news and reporting truth are one and the same. The more I read of it the angrier I got - I don't know how this organisation continues to exist, but it does, and at the top.

I've given this book a 4/5 rating only because at points the writ...more
Benny Costello
The Fox Effect, written by David Brock, was a very interesting and thought-provoking book. As a book that isn't afraid to call upon every ounce of foul play and suspicious activity in modern media, this book has undoubtedly changed the way I will look at the media.

From start to finish, The Fox Effect details countless examples of how mass-media outlets, specifically the Fox News Network and its president, Roger Ailes, have twisted the truth and distorted the people's view of what is actually hap...more
Savannah Williams
As some one who has seen the Fox effect on people, this book was pretty amazing. This is my first review but hopefully it helps.

The authors put forward the argument that the network Roger Ailes built is one that isn't living up to their "fair and balanced" approach to the news. Brock and Rabin-Havt argue that the network doesn't specialize in the news but pander in the sensational and scare tactics instead of being objective when it comes to presenting the news. Each chapter presents multiple in...more
Kathleen
I am so the target audience for this book, but so far I'm not particularly loving its inartful writing. From the introduction on the blast of vitriol is like drinking from a firehose.

*****************************************************
Thoughts upon completion: the folks at Media Matters must have stomachs of iron. There are a lot of citations, a lot of direct Fox News personalities' quotes (juxtaposed against the actual facts), lots of leaked Fox memos, etc. They compiled a lot of information...more
Connie
This is a very concise summary of the huge influence ( negative and harmful) that FOX has had and continues to have on America, politics, government, and the economy.

Although I had always known that Roger Ailes was the single force behind FOX's ascendancy, I had no idea how many decades he has had his evil little fat fingers stirring up the political pot on many levels both national and state. and I was really not too terribly surprised to learn that he had been involved in behind-the-scenes pol...more
James
Roger Ailes missed his calling to work for Joseph Goebbels. Perhaps he is the "Boy from Brazil," but instead of being cloned from Hitler's cells, he was cloned using Goebbels DNA. Usually I would say, as soon as you invoke the Nazis in your argument, you've lost your case, but apart from the Nazis or the best agents of disinformation working for the KGB, Faux news stands alone its ability to both manufacture a false story, repeat it non-stop though its barking dogs and then try to legislate base...more
NancyL Luckey
Well, this book is preaching to the choir when I read it. Didn't finish it but not because it wasn't good, but it made me too depressed to know how FOX twists the truth and calls it news (And knows it isn't the truth!)
James Hollomon
Careful. Reading this might make your blood boil. But it will give you the ammunition needed to dismiss the oft-repeated fallacy that all news organizations are exactly alike. Anyone who believes that has to assert that during the Cold War, Pravda was just as honest in its reporting as the BBC.

There is such a thing as Propaganda. What the mainstream media in the US provide is not propaganda. What Fox News does is political propaganda and little else.
Jim Johnson
This was tough to read; at times. Some portions were boring and redundant. In other passages, the author sounded like a whiny baby. However, his point was well taken: Fox News has very little to do with the news and more to do with their Republican propaganda. Overall, the book was okay but I could only recommend it if you're interested in reading a wide array of examples of Fox News' biased "reporting".
Anne
I hate to admit that I did not know to what extent FOX is propaganda, half-truths, out-of-context quotes, misquotes, or just plain lies. I've always found the sound of Sean Hannity's voice repugnant...now I understand even more. The book is informative, yet I think could have been organized differently. Seems to jump around quite a bit. Definitely worth reading.
Bharat
David Brock, the former conservative turned liberal media watchdog himself, systematically debunks the myth that fox news is a legitimate news organization. Providing numerous specific examples with meticulous research and credibility, Brock and MediaMatters does journalism a great service by exposing the sheer farce that is Fox News. Highly recommended read.
Larry Rolfes
This book should be required reading for anyone who depends on Fox as their news source. It points out, using many specific examples, why Fox New is less a news organization than a propaganda machine.
L Eaton
Though Fox viewers are not likely to read this...they are in desperate need of doing so...they are so poorly misinformed of their "fair and balanced" station. And that's not to say all media doesn't have severe limitations...but Fox just goes beyond the pale...
Bruce Benson
I want to say unbelievable, but actually it is no surprise. What this books brings to the table are the specifics, the stuff we need to remember when joisting in conversations with those that believe the rhetoric on the rght.
Jim
Feb 29, 2012 Jim marked it as to-read
Recommended by Credo. I bought the Kindle version after reading the sample. The findings are very well documented, and I think it has a lot to say.

I also think the best curative for bad information is better information.
Barbara Lovejoy
Interesting book! Both sides of the political aisle do their share of propaganda making it difficult to navigate through it all to get to the truth.
Valencia
Apr 04, 2012 Valencia is currently reading it
Can't put it down, everything makes more sense after reading this informative book. I would recommend this for Every Journalism student
Amanda
Quite revealing look on how Fox News has warped and ruined American politics. Pretty depressing, but definitely something worth reading.
Scott
Great breakdown of why you can't trust Fox News. Too bad the people who need to read it (Fox viewers) never would give it a chance.
Jackie
I'll admit this book was preaching to the choir. I only wish staunch Faux fans like my dad would give this book a chance.
Todd
It's mostly liberal propaganda but it was a decent read. I always enjoy seeing what the enemy is thinking.
Amanda Fox
A pretty scary look into the world of Fox News, but also a brutally honest look.
  • The Republican Brain: The Science of Why They Deny Science--and Reality
  • The Party Is Over: How Republicans Went Crazy, Democrats Became Useless, and the Middle Class Got Shafted
  • Fool Me Twice: Fighting the Assault on Science in America
  • Dexter and Philosophy: Mind over Spatter
  • Inside Pee-wee's Playhouse: The Untold, Unauthorized, and Unpredictable Story of a Pop Phenomenon
  • Joss Whedon: The Genius Behind Buffy
  • Among the Truthers: A Journey Through America's Growing Conspiracist Underground
  • The Godless Constitution: A Moral Defense of the Secular State
  • Attack of the Theocrats!: How the Religious Right Harms Us All — and What We Can Do About It
  • Great American Hypocrites: Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics
  • Decoding Love: Why It Takes Twelve Frogs to Find a Prince, and Other Revelations from the Science of Attraction
  • Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party
  • Rule and Ruin: The Downfall of Moderation and the Destruction of the Republican Party, from Eisenhower to the Tea Party
  • Deadly Spin: An Insurance Company Insider Speaks Out on How Corporate PR Is Killing Health Care and Deceiving Americans
  • The Church of Fear: Inside the Weird World of Scientology
  • The Betrayal of the American Dream
  • Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant
  • The Art of the Steal: How to Protect Yourself and Your Business from Fraud, America's #1 Crime
Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative The Republican Noise Machine: Right-Wing Media and How It Corrupts Democracy The Benghazi Hoax Free Ride: John McCain and the Media The Seduction of Hillary Rodham