Start by marking “Fiji” as Want to Read:
Fiji

Fiji (The World Duology #2)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Fiji is a spellbinding novel of adventure, cultural misunderstandings, religious conflict and sexual tension set in one of the most exotic and isolated places on earth.

As the pharaohs of ancient Egypt build their mighty pyramids, and Chinese civilization evolves under the Shang Dynasty, adventurous seafarers from South East Asia begin to settle the far-flung islands of the
Published September 1st 2011 by Sterling Gate Books (first published June 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fiji, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiji

Maryann
It took me ages to read this book, thanks very much to all the Uni distractions!! I barely had time to read a chapter before I was bombarded with a whole lot of assignments and all the other ammunition education uses on us helpless victims of the system.
I finally had the sense to download the e-book into my phone, and life sitting idly in the bus or throne of thought was graced with some reading entertainment.
The novel caught my eye firstly because the novel title was, "Fiji." I thought, hey! I
Alice Dinizo

Authors Lance and James Morcan have taken the history of Fiji in the 19th century and created a well-written, totally absorbing novel. American Nathan Johnson, handsome, tough adventurer, comes to Momi Bay in Fiji to trade his muskets for their sea snails that he'll sell for a fortune in China. He meets English missionary Brian Drake and his lovely daughter Susannah who have come to Fiji to educate the natives. Nathan has had women aplenty but he falls for the innocent Susannah who is quite str
Cathy
Again this book is not like most of the books I read but I enjoyed.
Lance Morcan has done a good job in making this a page turner. Job well done.
Beth
This is the second of the Morcans’ novels I’ve had the pleasure of reading and I have to start immediately by saying I was not disappointed. After reading the Ninth Orphan, Fiji certainly seemed like a completely different type of tale and this was certainly true but it was equally enjoyable and well written.
Described as a “swashbuckling, historical, adventure-romance set in 19th century Fiji” I really did not know what to expect and thoughts of Pirates of the Caribbean did come to mind althoug
Stephanie Heuerman
This was a thoroughly enjoying read! I loved it! Thus far, my only reading about Fiji had been written in a completely different style and genre, but nonetheless made me all the more curious about Fiji, as well as other islands in the Pacific. I love the way that stereotypes are tackled throughout the story. First impressions are not always the correct ones, and our own filters often skew what we see. I loved the growth of many of the characters within the story as well.
Sylvia
For a change a romantic novel set against the background of 19th century Fiji, by then an island group with tribal rules. (view spoiler) ...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Sina of the Qopa tribe in Momi Bay was kidnapped by the Outcast Rambuka three months before the new missionaries from England arrived. Reverend Brian Drake and his daughter Susannah are coming to Momi Bay to convert the natives to Christianity. Reverend Drake has many plans for converting the natives. Susannah believes in what her father is doing yet she finds that she has feelings for Nathan Johnson. Nathan Johnson is only interested in making a profit by any means necessary. Nathan cannot stop ...more
Lia Burres
Fiji: A Novel is a wonderful book.

This book is filled with action, love, loyalty, and many other things.

Susannah Drake and her father set out to do missionary work at a tribe in Momi Bay. When they are out the night before leaving for Momi Bay, Susannah meets a tradesman named Nathan. She cant figure out why she can't get him out of her mind, and he can't figure out why he can't get her out of his mind.

When the village is attacked the second time, Susannah's dad is killed in the middle of her ab
Sonali
First of all, I would like to thank the author Mr. Morcan for giving me an opportunity to read and review this book. I received a free copy of the book from the author to review it for my blog.

The plot is written in the historical setting of 1800’s South Pacific. The year is 1848 and the story starts with the abduction of a beautiful Fiji maiden Sina. That’s right! This story starts with a bang! And not just the plot. You read the first para and you know you are going to love it. Take for instan
Delaine
Finally, I've finished Fiji: a novel! I wasn't sure what to expect from this book at all. But what I got was an extraordinary tale of friendship, love, betrayal, death and personal growth.

I was slow to respond to this novel only because of one detail, the time. I have a weird dislike for stories that are set in a time that's earlier than when I was born. But I think I'm evolving as a reader, especially since some authors have requested that I read their novels, whether they would like my feedbac
Coco Kimura
Fiji is an adventure story, a love story and a historic fiction novel all wrapped into one. It is an exciting tale that intertwines the lives of three groups of people from very different backgrounds (an American adventurer, English missionaries and various Fijian tribes) and vividly puts you in the middle of 19th century Fiji. Prior to reading this book, I really didn't know much about Fijian history or their customs, many of which were hard to digest (human sacrifice, cannibalism, etc.). Altho ...more
Wandalyn Thomas
Missionaries, trying to convert natives to Christianity, find themselves in the middle of a tribal war. Disease is the least of their worries. Cannibals, outcasts cobbled from other tribes, abduct the Rev. Brian Drake’s daughter, Susannah. Tribal Chief Joeli and American Nathan Johnson lead a rescue mission to find her.
Linda
Fiji: A Novel snared my attention from the book's beginning. The novel sets the scene with this opening:
"A Fijian maiden stooped to pick up a shell as she walked along a white sand beach at Momi Bay, on the western side of Fiji's main island of Viti Levu. Sina had a natural island beauty. Lithe and graceful, her dark skin glistened in the tropical sun. She wore a traditional grass skirt and shawl made from tapa, or bark cloth. The beach was bordered by a grove of coconut trees and the turquoise
Theophilus (Theo)
A wonderful story. I'm not a romance novel reader, but this story is well disguised as an adventure story. An American soldier of fortune, hoping to make a profit trading muskets to Fiji islanders for dried shellfish to sell in China meets an irresistable woman, who just happens to be the daughter of a missionary taking over an abandoned mission on the same island. can she resist his worldly charms? Can he resist her seemingly pious demeanor and continue on his greedy path to riches with no rega ...more
June
interesting story
Lynelle Clark
An insightful historical romance that gives you a better overview into the life of the Fijian people and their customs. Customs that for us as Europeans were unheard off, barbaric and cruel. But then Europeans was not innocent in their dealings with people, just more secretive about it as we know from history.

The authors intriguing plot kept you focused on the pages as you venture between action filled pages and the romantic nuances in the book.
Starting out as lust filled connections Nathan Joh
Elise
This book is a historical novel. It was well researched, well written, and the imagery and description was beautiful and incredible. This book started out with a bang, the abduction of a Fijian maiden named Sina by the evil cannibalistic Rambuka and his tribe. Rambuka and his people are cannibals and they abduct and eat their prisoners, or they keeps the women as 'entertainment' or for sex. This story is complex and beautifully written but it does have some fairly gruesome scenes and for those t ...more
Sheri
Fiji by Lance Morcan

Susannah Drake and her widowed father are missionaries traveling to the Island of Fiji. Their mission is to spread the word on Christianity. Nathan Johnson is a trader and he too goes to the Island. Once there the missionaries find that the Island is not civilized and danger lurks everywhere. Violence is common and occurs too often.

Susannah is sheltered and naive, the descriptions of this Island and the story line were interesting and it was a fast read. A bit graphic violenc
Yashwin Kumar
A historical and yet a very compelling novel set in Fiji during the early 19th Century. The story is perfectly set out and consists of everything that makes a successful story-line. With an amazing start, use of descriptive language, insights of the Fijian culture and an erotic love-story, this novel helps us visualize how life must have been in a new-found land in 1848.
Rene
I have read this book with pleasure. I would have liked some more background about the Fiji Islands, but of course a novel is a novel. The story is good and the novel is well written.
My point of criticism is that the romance part, especially as it initiates and develops in the first part of the book, is not very convincing.
Jacqueline
A wonderful story line that transports the reader through time. This book has everything; romance, adventure, history and vivid descriptions about the island of Fiji. A great read.
Simmons
A little sappy at times, but all in all an enjoyable read.
Eileen Granfors
The Southern Pacific with its island people and exotic flora/fauna is a setting I can't resist. FIJI by Lance and James Morcan makes the most of the setting to fulfill the reader's expectations in the area of geographical and historical fiction even though the characters are somewhat stereotypical.

As soon as we meet the daughter of Reverend Brian Drake, we find Susannah thinking fairly scurrilous thoughts, considering that she is a missionary, a preacher's daughter. Her vivid sexual imagination
Linda B.D.
Historical True novel of love & war. I just finished reading, “Fiji: A Novel””. What a wonderful book. I started this yesterday and read nonstop till the end. A novel with great, strong characters, involving: war, tragedy, love, romance, magic spells that were really used at that time, and cannibals. How does one possible put all of these things together? Simply put- it takes great writing of wonderful authors. All of these things are beautifully intertwined into an in-depth story. This tell ...more
Jason
If you've got the travel bug like I do and enjoy thinking about and imagining far away places, Fiji has a lot to offer. Beyond the rich imagery and the subtle attention to detail, the story brings you face to face with conflicting currents as the Fijian natives find themselves encountering Western foreigners closer than ever before. The action kicks off with a bang when a native, Sina, is abducted by cannibals, and it stays high as it focuses on Nathan, a complicated hero who finds himself torn ...more
Kate Campbell
Nov 23, 2013 Kate Campbell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Perfect for lovers of light romantic fiction.
Recommended to Kate by: Publisher
A flowing 19th Century tale of life, lust and love in the Fijian Islands, star-crossed lovers in a beautiful and exotic world find the horrifying underside of Paradise. Like the native tribes, the lovers are at war with themselves. “All things in Fiji are paid for in blood.” The beautiful flame-haired Susanna Drake hadn’t believed it at the time.” Now she did—and so will the reader who surrenders to this tale.

A historical novel of the early settlement of Euro-Americans of the South Sea Islands
Dbart
This was a book, that based solely on it's title and/or cover I probably wouldn't have read! I decided to try and read this book because of who wrote it. I had read two other books written by this fantastic team and decided to try and read this work. I'm very glad that I did! I found the story to be very interesting and found myself reading every word of it! I highly recommend this book. It's got adventure and romance and a very pleasant ending.
Beth
Warning, this will probably read as harsh and snooty:

To be fair, I rarely read things that get the label "romance." VERY rarely. Sometimes if they cross with mystery, I can take it (Iris Johansen in limited doses, the Eve Dallas books, and, yeah, I read the Twilight books). But I'm not a romance person. I'm rarely even a chick lit person. To be fair, I have also been reading REALLY good books lately. But given that I have not yet read EVERY really good book, it is very hard to justify spending t
Jan
This is a Goodreads gift from the Author, on Kindle. Thank you looking forward to reading.

Once one starts this book, it is hard to put it down. I could actually envision the island, the Natives, the beach, the streams, the waterfalls and the terror! This story would make a smashing film. I am sure the scenery would be breathtaking on a big screen.

Story line. Naive British missionary brings his equally naive daughter to Fiji to a remote island where cannibalism is still being practiced. Just as
Chrissie
This book was a real struggle for me. It is entirely my own fault. First of all I “purchased” a free kindle book and then I insisted that once I started it I would finish it. So I am a cheapo, I admit that. I will probably make the same mistake again. In my own defense, if you don’t put yourself out on a limb once in a while you will miss opportunities! And some books do actually improve at their end. This book remained a struggle for me from start to finish.

When I chose this book my hope was t
  • The Orphan Factory (The Orphan Trilogy, #2)
  • The Fox
  • T'on Ma
  • Francesca of Lost Nation
  • Victory Garden
  • Again
  • The Missing Piece
  • Circles
  • Catching the Westbound
  • The Scholar (The Fall Series, #2)
  • Memories
  • Chocolate Beach (Chocolate Series Book 1)
  • Salt Bride: A Georgian Historical Romance (Salt Hendon Book 1)
  • Shepherd Avenue
  • An Idiot in Love
  • Plan on It
  • Unconventional
  • Sweet Delicious Madness and the Many Mysterious Deaths of Silvio Berlusconi (Kissed in Italy, #1)
New Zealand novelist, screenwriter and film producer Lance Morcan is a prolific writer with various published books and released movies to his credit. His novels include the international thriller series THE ORPHAN TRILOGY (The Ninth Orphan / The Orphan Factory / The Orphan Uprising) and the historical adventure series THE WORLD DUOLOGY (World Odyssey / Fiji: A Novel).

All five novels were co-writt
More about Lance Morcan...
World Odyssey (The World Duology, #1) The World Duology The Ninth Orphan (The Orphan Trilogy, #1) The Orphan Factory (The Orphan Trilogy, #2) The Orphan Uprising (The Orphan Trilogy, #3)