Start by marking “In Too Deep (America's Bravest, #1)” as Want to Read:
In Too Deep (America's Bravest, #1)

In Too Deep (Hidden Cove Firefighters Included in #4)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,743 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
IN TOO DEEP is the first novella in Shay’s powerful, new anthology, AMERICA’S BRAVEST. (All six novellas are available in a boxed set.)For months, Captain Gabe Malvaso and Firefighter Rachel Wellington have kept their knife-sharp attraction to themselves and out of their firehouse. But when a building explodes around them and they’re trapped in the basement, will they stil ...more
Nook, NOOK Book Edition
Published November 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about In Too Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Too Deep

The Negotiator by Dee HendersonDanger in the Shadows by Dee HendersonThe Guardian by Dee HendersonTrue Devotion by Dee HendersonThe Truth Seeker by Dee Henderson
Christian Contemporary Romance Favorites
247th out of 479 books — 355 voters
Trial by Fire by Jo DavisWild Heat by Bella AndreSneaking a Peek by Eden SummersPoor Little Daddy's Girl by Normandie AllemanUnder Fire by Jo Davis
Firemen Are Hot.....
176th out of 176 books — 317 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Apr 02, 2016 Erin rated it liked it
I have a love hate relationship with this freebie. On one hand, I really appreciate the depiction of firefighting as an occupation. Shay covered a fire, a flood, a car accident and a medical emergency but she didn't forget that these men and women, much like those is in the military, spend a lot of waiting around for something to happen. Obviously, the author did her homework.

On the other hand, I don't buy two firefighters going at it while trapped in the basement of burned out warehouse. I get
Arii
Feb 07, 2013 Arii rated it it was ok
As a reader: While I'm aware that this is a short story the ending was too abrupt for me. There were too many characters and you don't get to know them at all. The villain in the story gets very little background, why did she start this smear campaign against the FD?

As a firefighter: I appreciate the showcasing of strong female firefighters. She did a great job in capturing the camaraderie between a firehouse family. The sex scene made me laugh out loud. As someone who's had to deal with smoke
Carrie
I like Kathryn Shay and loved her Firefighter trilogy (starts with After the Fire), but In Too Deep just isn't long enough to build the characters or the tension needed to pull off an emotional "forbidden love" story. The series is linked to the previous trilogy, and while you don't have to know those stories to enjoy this one, it's nice to have the background information. there is nothing glaringly wrong with this short story (although having sex in an improbably place didn't earn the author po ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Lots of potential and not bad but it was too short. I realize this is a short novella but with so many characters and so much going on, there wasn't enough to develop the story to my liking. But it was still a decent read. Captain Gabe Malvaso has been attracted to Rachel Wellington for some time, but being firefighters working at the same station makes it impossible to explore. Then while stuck in a basement together and not knowing if they will get out, they both confess their attraction and t ...more
Patrice
Mar 27, 2016 Patrice rated it really liked it
This is a novella "prequel" to the America's Bravest series. It was nice to see where Gabe and Rachel got their start and how the Fire Belles blog got it's beginnings. I am kind of reading this series out of order; but, it's hasn't changed how rich the story is in showing how a firefighter lives day-in and day-out. The emotional highs and lows of the job as well as the physical stamina required. I liked the "back-story" and a little more insight into some of the main characters lives.
Fernanda
:)was a nice reading... but was so short and the end was so abrupt.
I think the author could developed a little more these final scenes.
we readers get the final but this is our assumption, not written!

the main characters are credible, and the day by day of a firehouse so too, revealing a good sensation of friendship and respect of their work as firefighters and how can they management the feelings that start growing.

Gabe and Rachel have to put on hold their feelings until a major one appear, that
Amy Denim
Firefighters Gabe Malvaso and Rachel 'Princess' Wellington are trapped in the basement of a burning building when more than sparks ignite between them.
(Wow, I should write cover blurbs)

I love, love, love that this book (the first in a series) features women firefighters. Yay, girl power! There should be more books out there, like Kathryn Shay's, that feature strong, sensible (yet sensitive) heroines like Rachel. Be gone simpering virgins! Now is the era of the true heroine!
(I love exclamation ma
Adele Symonds
Oct 17, 2012 Adele Symonds rated it really liked it
This was a really good novella. All the firefighters characters were true to life in work and recreation situations. The rescues were depicted extremely well and the forbidden love plot was excellent, the sub-plot of the blogger who was denegrading them was something a little different which added extra meat to the story. I will definitely be reading more by this author.
My only complaint was that it ended too soon, I wanted to read more about about Gabe and Rachel.
I give this book a very good 4.
LaFleurBleue
Dec 23, 2014 LaFleurBleue rated it liked it
A bit too short to completely hit the mark and have the lead characters really take a bigger dimension than just ink and paper characters. Their whole story and events seemed quite cold to me and did not succeed in making me feel emotionally attached to them.
The prep work regarding the other characters also contributed to limit the time spent on the leads and was not sufficient either to really hook me and make me feel that I absolutely need to read the other stories.
Kay the Snitch
In Too Deep by Kathryn Shay

This was a freebie I got a long time ago and I admit,I got it because there was a fireman on the front of it. I'm a sucker for a fireman romance. This story was about a male and a female firefighter and all the elements that there are regarding these heroes becoming more than coworkers. Theses two characters were called into a fire where the stairs collapsed with them on the stairs, plummeting them to the basement. They spent several hours down there in harrowing circu
Robin
Jul 25, 2014 Robin rated it liked it
Hidden Cove Fire Captain Gabe Malvaso is popular firefighter known for being fair to the people under his command. But he does avoid one member of his crew, Firefighter Rachel Wellington. He's attracted to her but knows he has to keep their relationship professional. But when out on a call, he and Rachel become trapped in the basement of a burning building. Thinking they'll never be rescued, they confess their feelings.

I read the first three books in the Hidden Cove series several years ago and
Anna
Sep 12, 2013 Anna rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
I thought the beginning dragged on a little bit with the description of each character. Though, it became interesting to read about the daily life of a firefighter's job, their love life, family, and personal time outside of work. I enjoyed reading more about the firefighter lifestyle than the romance aspect of the story.
Lauren
Jul 01, 2015 Lauren rated it it was ok
I have to admit I picked this book due to the firefighter on front. As a volunteer firefighter I enjoy reading stories involving people that get paid to do what I have grown to love. With that being said, all the friendly relationships seemed to hit their mark but the sex scene was a joke. Who would even think about anything intimate while stuck in a building with limited air? That just seems crazy to me! Also, there is not enough about the characters. Why is that woman against the department? W ...more
Garth Mailman
Apr 23, 2014 Garth Mailman rated it liked it
By Kathryn Shay

In Too Deep is an extremely popular book title. The Romance Genre is a major employer of hunky models though most wear far fewer clothes. No word on whether this one actually fights fires or just lights them.

A pair of fire-fighters trapped in an enclosed space and running out of oxygen do the deed. He’s her captain. After all that hot action the rest of the novella is about what happens after their rescue.

A very different type of fire story from Larry Brown’s On Fire and not jus
Tina
2.5 stars.

What I Liked: I especially liked the dynamic between the hero and heroine. Despite the lack of character back story, I really enjoyed them both together and apart. They were endearing for me based on what I knew about them. I also really liked the female firefighters twist. That's just Win right there.

What I Didn't Like: It may seem cruel but, everything not mentioned above. I felt the dialog was contrived, the story boring and predictable. The editing was god-awful, I felt there was s
Philip
Aug 07, 2012 Philip rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This short story is in the same setting as After the Fire which I read and the rest of the trilogy, which I didn't. This helped establish the background and setting which are usually abbreviated in short stories. The main characters in this story weren't introduced in that first book, though they may be in the later books of the trilogy.

For the most part this story was much the same as what I said for the other one with regard to writing and style and such. Unfortunately, Gabe was rather annoyin
Sati Marie Frost
Gabe is a fire captain, and Rachel is one of the five firefighters working under him. Although they've been attracted to each other for a long time, they obviously can't act on it while they work together, particularly not when he's her commanding officer. But when they find themselves trapped in a basement with the exit blocked and their air supply slowly running out, they turn to each other for support, and instead are overcome by passion.

I really liked this story! I'm not generally a fan of t
Denise
Mar 15, 2015 Denise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-goal
'In Too Deep' is a great novella with a story that has a huge impact. The storyline is great. Full of truth about how the everyday life of a firefighter is full of risk and criticism. I couldn't put it down. Gabe and Rachel's story was intense. This is the first book I've read in this series, but it definitely won't be the last. I look forward to reading more stories of the great characters and the brave and heroic men and women surrounding this series. A great add to your tbr list.
M3tamorphasis11
Nov 20, 2012 M3tamorphasis11 rated it liked it
It was too short for my liking, but then again it was a short story...I only realized it after the fact. tsk-tsk...

Anyway, I really thought it was interesting how in the face of danger and in the mist of their supposed impending doom Gabe Malvaso and Rachel Wellington unravel into each other at the seems. They tell each other all of their internal battles in the past and once nothing is left to tell, "enjoy each other". The genuine description of how they just savor that moment is hot! Stress re
Mari
It was better than other firefighter stories because it had firefighter action. It was suposed to be the first in the series but I felt like there were a lot of secondary characters and a lot of previous history to them and the main ones that I didn't get. And I didn't get into the story because of that, the end also felt like a cliffy. So 3 1/2 stars
Joanne
Feb 05, 2014 Joanne rated it liked it
I loved this novella about firefighters...female and male. This novella was jammed packed with firefighters' duties and work habits. Maybe I'd give a better rating had I read all the firefighter novellas in America's Bravest".
Kathryn Shay has a solid grip on the world of firefighters and the written word. Looks like I'll be reading more of work.
Manda
Sep 21, 2013 Manda rated it did not like it
Nope sorry, I'm DNF this one all over the place because it's just so boring and stupid. I can't be bothered to read on and it's just so far fetched as well I think. I mean who in there right mind is going to have sex in a basement amongst dirt and debris while running out of oxygen? Like hello that wouldn't happen and the guy is a trained firefighter. Oh and yeah after the sex scene it's like freedom they leave the building. I haven't read any further so I don't know if they get themselves trapp ...more
Candy
Feb 06, 2015 Candy rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book especially given the subject matter but it was just too rushed. The characters weren't very well developed. I had a hard time buying into the chemistry between Gabe and Rachel
Megan
Apr 27, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
Too much smoke ... not enough substance. Although enjoyable I didn't find that this novella lived up to the reviews ..."powerfully written, tense emergency situations" ... "exhilarating tale". It was a nice story.
Karen W
Jun 21, 2015 Karen W rated it really liked it
Another very enjoyable read by Kathryn :-).
Great bunch of characters who you easily get to grips with and enjoy the emotions that come with part of the profession....as work and personal life entwine.
Marcella
Overall I enjoyed it, but to my mind there was a bit too much crammed into it, especially about other people, and it was a short story, so the romance itself suffered and seemed too rushed.
Christina Montminy
Mar 08, 2014 Christina Montminy rated it liked it
Shelves: series, contemporary
it was okay, really short only 8 chapters. I wish that it would've given us a glimpse of what was to come but it might be in the next characters book. Just didn't like the way it ended so abruptly.
elaine m. suda
Jul 11, 2014 elaine m. suda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!

Enjoyed this great story. It is wonderful to read about the many heroes and heroines that put their lives on the line every day in order to protect us. They fully deserve all our thanks and gratitude.

Tia Harmon
Not christian fiction

Great story, realistic (with realistic language too), but definitely not Christian fiction which is where it was listed when purchased
Vanessa Hale
Mar 16, 2014 Vanessa Hale rated it liked it
I loved the book. My only problem was the ending. It felt rushed, like there was more that could have been said. But overall it was still a good book. What woman doesn't love a firefighter?
  • Embers of Hope (Second Gift, #1)
  • Until You
  • A Fair to Remember (Welcome to Redemption, #2)
  • Too Close for Comfort
  • A Fair of the Heart (Welcome to Redemption, #1)
  • Love in Bloom
  • Aiden's Bayou
  • Passion to Die For (Silhouette Romantic Suspense #1579)
  • Dance With Me (The Everetts of Tyler, #1)
  • Bootscootin' Blahniks (The Bootscootin' Books #1)
  • Dirty Little Secrets (Marisela Morales/Dirty #1)
  • Wanted - Dead or Alive
  • Wild Justice
  • Lawless (Aspen, #2)
  • Needing Nita (Serve and Protect, #3.5)
  • Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Tag Team
Kathryn Shay is a lifelong writer. At fifteen, she penned her first 'romance,' a short story about a female newspaper reporter in New York City and her fight to make a name for herself in a world of male journalists - and with one hardheaded editor in particular. Looking back, Kathryn says she should have known then that writing was in her future. But as so often happens, fate sent her detouring d ...more
More about Kathryn Shay...

Hidden Cove Firefighters (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • After the Fire (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #1)
  • On the Line (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #2)
  • Nothing More to Lose (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #3)
  • It Had To Be You  (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #5)
  • Chasing the Fire (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #6)
  • The Fire Inside (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #7)
  • A Burning Passion (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #8; The Inheritance, #1)
  • Hot Shot (America's Bravest, #2)
  • Worth the Risk (America's Bravest, #3)
  • El Bombero (America's Bravest, #4)

“A firefighter’s job is hours of boredom, seconds of terror.” 5 likes