Start by marking “A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions (Nerd Girls, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions (Nerd Girls, #2)

A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions (The Nerd Girls #2)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Published July 31st 2012 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions

Fangirl by Rainbow RowellHow to Date a Nerd by Cassie MaeHow to Seduce a Band Geek by Cassie MaeThe Avery Shaw Experiment by Kelly OramHow to Hook a Bookworm by Cassie Mae
YA Nerd/Geek Books
98th out of 128 books — 185 voters
A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda UrbanConfetti Girl by Diana LópezThe Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet by Erin DionneDeep Down Popular by Phoebe StoneAlice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Books With Socks on the Cover
68th out of 102 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
Yep, still love this series. I am convinced that it is the perfect read aloud for middle schoolers. Last year, I read the first book aloud and had a captive audience every day. Maybe it was due to my dynamic reading that could win a Grammy, or maybe it was the great characters. Either way, the kids loved the book. Nerd Girls: A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions is no different. This book should be read aloud!

Let me start by saying that the biting sarcasm of the narrator is fabulous. I love the
Elizabeth
Jul 23, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
When I received an advance copy from Net Galley, I was surprised to realize this was the second in a series. Luckily, there is a recap of events from the first book hidden in the opening chapters of A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions.

The Nerd Girls are composed of Mo, Beanpole, and Q. Sarcastic Maureen is a fan of eating her emotions and has the flab to show for it. Barbara is the klutzy but kind child of "Department Store Mom" and "Department Store Dad", which (to my shock) isn't presented a
Krystal
Dec 28, 2011 Krystal rated it really liked it

The nerd girls are back and funnier than ever. The reader will meet Beanpole, Alice, and Maureen once again and in amusing circumstances. Will Alice poison herself through scientific experiment? Will Maureen step up and be a leader? Will Beanpole learn to stick up for herself? These questions are mostly answered in this next book in the series.

The nerd girls worst nightmare has come true, they must work together with the ThreePees in an Academic Septatholon. There is scoffing on both sides; the
Cathy
Jun 04, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it
The Nerd Girls take on the ThreePees (pretty, popular and perfect) aka the Mean Girls. Outwardly they don't win, but where it counts, they do. Funny and sarcastic. Should be popular with tweens.
Katia
Mar 16, 2012 Katia added it
Omg !!!! I won the first book at my school for a book thing and got the author to sighn it :D I haven't even opened the book !! But I hear it's great :)
Monkeyface
Sep 06, 2015 Monkeyface rated it it was amazing
Listened to A Catastrophe of Nerdish Proportions (The Nerd Girls #2) by Alan Sitomer
The Nerd Girls are back. And though they seek to leave behind all the drama with the popular girls, the ThreePees feel they have a score to settle with the Nerds and will stop at nothing to do so. Fed up with the perpetual infighting, the school principal insists that if the two groups want to continue to "compete" with one another, they will do so in a productive manner and thus forces all six girls, Nerd Girls
Beverly McClure
Jun 16, 2014 Beverly McClure rated it it was amazing
Nerds and bullies. Pranks and slam books. Just another day in eighth grade. Maureen (Mo) knows she’s a nerd. She describes her friends, Barbara (Bean Pole) and Alice (Q), and herself as quirky, do-well-in-school, socially awkward, and get laughed at by other kids. On the outside, she’s loud and opinionated. On the inside, she’s insecure and dealing with not only the bullies at school but her divorced mom who is now re-dating her re-divorced father. Yeah, figure that one out.

Author Alan Lawrence
Kay Mcgriff
Oct 30, 2012 Kay Mcgriff rated it really liked it
The battle between the Nerd Girls and the ThreePees has finally gone too far. Principal Mazer is determined to end the feud before any more damage is done. (You should have seen the art room once the ThreePees attacked the Nerd Girls locked inside.). Now all six girls must work together to represent the Aardvarks at the Academic Septathlon. If they don’t pull together, there will be consequences.

What I love about this story is the quirky characters. Meet the Nerd Girls and their nemeses.

Maureen
Heidi
Oct 07, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, read-2012
The Nerd Girls are still fighting with the ThreePees (pretty, popular, perfect) and when the pranks go a little far, the six girls are ordered to work together as their school's team in the Academic Septatholon. Horror of horrors--how will this happen? The ThreePees are only concerned with the prize money so they can purchase the latest designer handbag while the Nerd Girls have real problems--Mo's dad is trying to worm his way back into her family's life, Beanpole can't go anywhere without trip ...more
Ally Goodwin
Jul 13, 2014 Ally Goodwin rated it did not like it
tried to listen but the reader's voice was grating on my nerves. This is also true for the main character, Maureen. Nothing much to like/identify with and much of the language seemed more adult than tween/teen like.

nope not for me
Carolyn Wilhelm
Dec 15, 2012 Carolyn Wilhelm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is definitely one that would appeal to middle and secondary school students. While there is much fun and adventure, life lessons are clear and valuable. The ending is not perfect and everyone doesn't become friends, but it is happy and everything works out well. The Nerd Girls come out ahead but not in the way you might expect. The descriptions of the scholastic competition so very true to life, and I say that as a former teacher of gifted/talented classes and academic coach. Situation ...more
Zaria Lane
Jul 28, 2014 Zaria Lane rated it it was amazing
This book was somewhat relatable
Melissa
Aug 31, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, tween
Allergic Alice, who's allergic to everything, thinks perhaps her allergies are psychosomatic. Beanpole Barbara is still bonking into everything. And Maureen is still sarcastic and chubby. The three are also still battling the ThreePees (pretty, popular, perfect) and their actions get the principal involved - who forces them to enter an academic challenge.

Better than The Rise of the Dorkasaurus
Jenny
Nov 18, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
Received through Goodreads-First Reads. I loved this book... there were times when I recognized a familiar TV or movie, but the overall story was great. The best part of this book are the characters... I want to be friends with them in real life!! The ending was unpredictable and realistic, not a fairytale expectation. Middle and high school-ers will enjoy this because the things that happen to the characters, happen in real life... with the same emotions.

Barbara
Oct 19, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
I thought the book had a fun style. There were also tender moments. It had some interesting family dynamics too. I liked the compettition and how some of the characters were really in their element. I could identify most with the character by name Barbara aka Beanpole. I could also relate a lot to Sofes. I never read the first book and was able to follow this just fine. I purchased it to particpate in a group read here at goodreads where the author participated.
Tyngsborough Middle
Oct 30, 2012 Tyngsborough Middle rated it liked it
Stayed up til midnight finishing "Nerd Girls" (thanks to having power!) A good read, with lots of little twists and tales to keep the reader hooked on their feud with the ThreePees.

There are a ton of put downs and unkindness on the parts of most of the girls, which I hate to think is typical for friendships. I am extremely happy Sofes turned out okay in the end!
Roxie
Mar 01, 2014 Roxie rated it it was amazing
Many times I read the second book in a series and I think, "The author should've stopped while he was ahead. But not this time. The nerd girls, once again, had me lol-ing throughout the book. Maureen and her crew of misfits kept me reading well into the night, and I must say it was rather nice to see the Nerd Girls come out on top once again. A must read.
Mary
Jan 10, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Really, Really, Really funny! I enjoyed it VERY much!!!!!
Daniella
Oct 29, 2015 Daniella rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids
I thought this book would be a bit boring at fist but trust me if you continue to read more. It gets so interesting. Love it!
Holly
Jun 18, 2013 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first one was much better.
Kara
Amy
Amy added it
Feb 05, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Morgan Turnage
Morgan Turnage marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Jellybean
Jellybean rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Alan Lawrence Sitomer is a California Teacher of the Year award winner and the founder of The Writer’s Success Academy. In addition to having been an inner-city high school English teacher and former professor in the Graduate School Of Education at Loyola Marymount University, Mr. Sitomer is a nationally renowned keynote speaker who specializes in engaging underperforming students. To date, Mr. Si ...more
More about Alan Sitomer...

The Nerd Girls (2 books)
  • The Rise of the Dorkasaurus (Nerd Girls, #1)