Start by marking “Larkspur (Sensate Nine Moon Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Larkspur (Sensate Nine Moon Saga, #1)

Read Book

Larkspur (Sensate Nine Moon Saga #1)

After the devastating loss of her parents in a freak accident, Alexandra obsesses over the mystery surrounding Teater Higgins, her great-great-grandfather. She searches a deserted farm for Teater’s gravestone, but fate intervenes and she plunges into a deep cistern. Trapped, cold, and alone, she finds a warm stone that facilitates her escape and prompts dormant psychic ...more
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 472 pages
Published December 2nd 2011 by RNL Associates (first published November 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Larkspur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Larkspur

Nikki  Peterson
Feb 10, 2012 Nikki Peterson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PNR Fans
Recommended to Nikki by: RI&R via Shut Up & Read
This was a good read for me. It flowed well, there were nothing to make you have to go back a page or two to make sure you didn't miss something. People that have typos as pet peeves will be thrilled that there aren't any to speak of. For some reason the one thing that drove me a little mental was everybody constantly using each others names when talking to one another. Just me, I know...

Our Heroine is Alexandra. She is delving into her family's geneology to assauge her feeling of mourning for t
Traci
Disclosure: I received Larkspur in exchange for a review from Shut Up & Read.

This was a hit and miss novel with me. I feel like it has a lot of potential, with some editing and revising, to actually be picked up by a bigger publisher. It felt, for lack of a better word, inconsistent. There was a lot of attention to detail, which worked well in some places, not so well in others. There wasn't an overwhelming number of characters, which was good, but the writing style made it difficult for eac
The Haunted Reading Room {Cthulhu Down the Chimney Tonight}
Feb 11, 2012 The Haunted Reading Room {Cthulhu Down the Chimney Tonight} rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Contemporary Fantasy, Paranormal, Magic

This is the first novel of the Sensate Trilogy. It is definitely an original story; I don’t remember ever reading anything that comes close to this particular ongoing story line. Very intriguing. A mixture of contemporary, Paranormal, Magical Fantasy, and much more, I’d be hard-pressed to assign just one label-so I won’t. I’ll just recommend it and let the reader decide to what subgenres to assign it.

At age twenty-two, Alexandra is a continuing student, soon to begin work on her Master’s Degree.
tif
Feb 14, 2012 tif rated it liked it
Recommended to tif by: Shut Up & Read's Read It & Reap program
This book was obtained through Read it and Reap program in the Shut Up & Read book group on Goodreads, in exchange for a timely review.

I’m rather new to the group on goodreads that I got this eBook from. I found their “Read it and Reap” forum and browsed it and the rules, deciding that I’d probably just sit back and watch for a while. A bit later, I read the description posted for this book, and changed my mind. The plot sounded so original, so new and interesting that I knew I HAD to read i
Erin
Mar 04, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
Book was wonderful. I enjoyed it very much. Very detailed and kept me intrigued. Thank you much for a great story line.
hiroyuki
Feb 20, 2012 hiroyuki rated it liked it
First things first! I don't like the cover for this! It could have been so much better.

This book started out amazingly well. The premise is very interesting and the beginning really pulls you into the story. The main heroine is a very likable girl, something that felt refreshing since I mostly hate female protagonists. The story progresses along very nicely, and the book held my interest for long until the last third were it felt like I was reading a different book. I kept feeling many things m
Paige (TheBookVulture)
I received a copy of this book from the Read it and Reap program in the Shut Up & Read group, in exchange for an honest review.

I've gotta be honest, I expected so much more from this book. I mean SO much more. I read the first 100 pages and gave up because it was just so boring. Larkspur heavily focuses on Alexandra building a house on a hill that gets more mentions than the paranormal aspect of her life.

I don't care about the hill. I don't care if it has special meaning to her because of h
Rinesh Hegde
Aug 12, 2016 Rinesh Hegde rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-way
Received this ebook as part of Read it and Reap It #14 by Shut Up and Read Book group.

The first page or rather the first chapter ensures that readers don't just keep the book aside but actually read it. The first chapter has the ability to captivate the reader by giving just a gist of the storyline but unfortunately after that it just drags.

The detailing about the house on the mountain makes you wonder what exactly does the author wants us to remember (hopefully it will be used in the 2nd part)
Annalise Grey
Feb 18, 2012 Annalise Grey rated it really liked it
I got a copy of this book from Shut up & Read to review.

The first couple pages - when Alexandra is in the cistern - I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book. What a beginning! How do you go from there and keep it interesting? But it was interesting - so much so that I didn't really want to put it down. I loved the fact that she gets her own mountain. I want my own mountain with glorious views and an eco-friendly house and a stream and the stones and.... I'm digressing now. I enjoyed i
Sannie Hald
Patricia Puddle
Mar 01, 2012 Patricia Puddle rated it it was amazing
I loved this intriguing paranormal and magical fantasy novel. It's about a twenty-two year-old student called Alexandra who falls into a cistern while searching an old, abandoned Higgins farm in Pennsylvania as she searches for one of her ancestor's graves - her great-grandfather, Teater Higgins. While in the cistern, she finds a strange rock that is warm when touched and it seems to help her find a way out. Later in the story, Alexandra makes eye contact with a stranger and it's instant ...more
Cass
Jan 12, 2012 Cass rated it it was amazing
Larkspur is a beautifully written fiction and paranormal novel for all ages; intriguing and full of surprises. The story is contemporary but it seems like the trilogy may go back in history. I certainly related to the young characters and lived and dreamed along with their fantastic adventure. It has an edge but does not get into explicit sex scenes; a safe teenage read I think. The extra sensorial fiction is a nice break from faes and vampires,lol. Waiting for book 2.
Rhodora Fitzgerald
I enjoyed this paranormal read very much. The author creates loveable, easy to know characters and spins a thought provoking story that keeps the reader interested in what's to come. It's a wonderful mix of romance and mystery. H.H.Laura wraps the story up neatly, yet leaves you hungry for the next book.
E.L.
Feb 07, 2012 E.L. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Okay, the beginning of this started out kind of slow for me but by like chapter 5 I didn't want to put it down! Definetly getting added to my favorites and adding book 2 to my to-reads! H.H. Laura did an amazing amazing job on this one. I am in love with the characters! I teared up at the end when the powers were transfered. Definetly five stars from me! Awesome read!
NayNay
Feb 08, 2012 NayNay rated it really liked it
Fresh, fun and fabulous....a new voice in the paranormal genre and she did not disappoint. Characters you can relate too, a storyline that keeps the reader interest. A wonderful mix of excitement and romance. Prepare to be spellbound, this was a book I could not put down. Read this book, you well enjoy it!
Laura Thomas
Feb 10, 2012 Laura Thomas rated it it was amazing
With a lovable, compelling heroine and her devilishly handsome partner, H.H. Laura draws you into the magical world of the Sensates. Mysterious twists keep you turning the pages, wanting more. Allow plenty of time when you open this book for you will not be able to put it down.
Des
Jan 11, 2012 Des rated it really liked it
Hard to tell this is a first time author - well written - moves along quickly. Great characters and if you like the paranormal and believe in the sixth sense that causes goose bumps and "intuition" then this is for you. Can't wait to read book two.
InfinitexLibrary
Feb 11, 2012 InfinitexLibrary rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Jayde Scott
Mar 07, 2013 Jayde Scott rated it it was amazing
I’m a huge fantasy and paranormal romance fan, and was quite excited to get my hands on this one. The cover’s gorgeous, and the blurb promises an intense story. As I started reading, I realized this book’s way more than that.

Alexandra was an ordinary young woman, until she touches something that shouldn’t have been touched. Now, psychic abilities she cannot understand awaken inside her, taking her on a journey that will change her life. With Jediah’s help, she realizes she’s a Sensate, the most
Aisha
Mar 25, 2012 Aisha rated it really liked it
I got this ebook from the group Shut Up and Read.

Okay, so first I liked the writing and attension to detail. Although the house details confused me, but then again I've never really looked into all the different things with that. The characters themselves were nice and I could clearly see them growing throughout the book. That is good, most books i've read recently have barely to no character development.

Now, some things that I didn't like was the instant attraction to the main male character. I
Jodie
Feb 14, 2012 Jodie rated it it was ok
I really had a hard time with this book for the first two thirds at least. I found it to just be skimming the surface of everything.... the characters, the plot, the events. I was intrigued by the idea of sensates and it hinted of good things to come but until the last hundred pages it was almost boring. I really love the idea of this story but the writing is far to shallow to be good. I honestly dont know if I will read the rest of the series, although the last third started to gain my ...more
June Bourgo
Sep 18, 2015 June Bourgo rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. The characters are strong, likeable and believable. The author takes the reader through a suspenseful journey in the main characters search for self, love and happiness. I fund the Sensates believable and look forward to the next book in this saga. I love the writing style of the author. She has my attention.
H.H. Laura
Jan 09, 2012 H.H. Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Lburro1
Lburro1 rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2012
H.H. Laura
Dec 03, 2011 H.H. Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Elise
Elise rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2013
Aisha
Aisha rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Kelly/yllektra
Kelly/yllektra marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2011
Mechele
Mechele marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2011
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Lorian Jones
Lorian Jones marked it as to-read
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Elizabeth (Book_Attict)
Elizabeth (Book_Attict) marked it as to-read
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
Brenda Knight
Brenda Knight marked it as to-read
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Mindy Chisam
Mindy Chisam marked it as to-read
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Bettsy Acuna
Bettsy Acuna marked it as to-read
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Donna Harris
Donna Harris marked it as to-read
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sakura
Sakura marked it as to-read
E
E marked it as to-read
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
SherryMarch
SherryMarch marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2011
  • Finding Forever (Finding Forever, #1)
  • Ominous Love (Ominous, # 2)
  • Agartha's Castaway - Book 2 (Trapped In The Hollow Earth, #2)
  • Oleanna
  • The Cave Dreamers
  • Druid's Bane (The Arkaelyon Chronicles, #1)
  • At Your Command
  • Mythos Academy Bundle: First Frost, Touch of Frost, Kiss of Frost & Dark Frost (The Mythos Academy)
  • A Marked Past (The Mercer Legacy, #1)
  • The Conundrum: How Scientific Innovation, Increased Efficiency, and Good Intentions Can Make Our Energy and Climate Problems Worse
  • Juvenile
  • The Night of the Hunter
  • Dark Matter (Elemental Enmity, #2)
  • Archangel Evolution (The Evolution Trilogy, #3)
  • Happily Ever After? (Sleeping Handsome, #2)
  • Icarus (The Kindred)
  • Phantom Pleasures (Phantom, #1)
  • Resurrection (The Guardians of Vesturon, #2)

Sensate Nine Moon Saga (3 books)
  • Ryeth (Sensate Nine Moon Saga #2)
  • Heartseed (Sensate Nine Moon Saga #3)

“You came up this gut-wrenching road yesterday by yourself?" Cassie exclaimed. "You deserve a good cuffing just for driving this goat path on your own."
"It's not so bad once you get used to dodging the ruts."
"You've got some nerve calling these canyons ruts."
"Cassandra Hudson, where is your sense of adventure?"
"I dropped it off going over that last rut-crossing when only two wheels were on the ground."
"Those ones are a bit exhilarating, aren't they?" Alexandra shot Cassie a quick look and wink.
"Keep your eyes on the road!"
"What road?"
"Exactly!”
2 likes
“Okay, what in Hades just happened? Stones don’t glow blue or any other color and they certainly don’t burn circles on you.”

The stone wasn’t talking.

Alexandra considered herself well grounded, yet here she stood, talking to a stone that glowed, burned circles, and refused to answer.

A thread of sensation pricked at the edges of her mind, then grew stronger. It mirrored an idea then became clear.

Tell no one.

What? Looking from side to side, she backed against the wall. Although it felt like someone whispered in her ear, she stood there alone. The day’s trauma must have pushed her over the edge, yet the sensation persisted.

Tell no one.

She froze. Her eyes darted around the room. The muscles in her legs tightened as she prepared to bolt from the room.

Alexandra swallowed and licked her lips. “Who would believe me anyway?” she whispered.”
2 likes