Larkspur (Sensate Nine Moon Saga, #1)

Larkspur (Sensate Nine Moon Saga)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  21 reviews
2ND EDITION RELEASE! (108 additional pages of text)

After the devastating loss of her parents in a freak accident, Alexandra obsesses over the mystery surrounding Teater Higgins, her great-great-grandfather. She searches a deserted farm for Teater’s gravestone, but fate intervenes and she plunges into a deep cistern. Trapped, cold, and alone, she finds a warm stone that fac...more
Published December 2nd 2011 by RNL Associates (first published November 12th 2011)

Nikki  Peterson
Feb 10, 2012 Nikki Peterson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PNR Fans
Recommended to Nikki by: RI&R via Shut Up & Read
This was a good read for me. It flowed well, there were nothing to make you have to go back a page or two to make sure you didn't miss something. People that have typos as pet peeves will be thrilled that there aren't any to speak of. For some reason the one thing that drove me a little mental was everybody constantly using each others names when talking to one another. Just me, I know...

Our Heroine is Alexandra. She is delving into her family's geneology to assauge her feeling of mourning for t...more
Traci
Disclosure: I received Larkspur in exchange for a review from Shut Up & Read.

This was a hit and miss novel with me. I feel like it has a lot of potential, with some editing and revising, to actually be picked up by a bigger publisher. It felt, for lack of a better word, inconsistent. There was a lot of attention to detail, which worked well in some places, not so well in others. There wasn't an overwhelming number of characters, which was good, but the writing style made it difficult for eac...more
Mallory Heart Reviews
Feb 11, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Contemporary Fantasy, Paranormal, Magic

This is the first novel of the Sensate Trilogy. It is definitely an original story; I don’t remember ever reading anything that comes close to this particular ongoing story line. Very intriguing. A mixture of contemporary, Paranormal, Magical Fantasy, and much more, I’d be hard-pressed to assign just one label-so I won’t. I’ll just recommend it and let the reader decide to what subgenres to assign it.

At age twenty-two, Alexandra is a continuing student, soon to begin work on her Master’s Degree....more
tif
Feb 14, 2012 tif rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to tif by: Shut Up & Read's Read It & Reap program
This book was obtained through Read it and Reap program in the Shut Up & Read book group on Goodreads, in exchange for a timely review.

I’m rather new to the group on goodreads that I got this eBook from. I found their “Read it and Reap” forum and browsed it and the rules, deciding that I’d probably just sit back and watch for a while. A bit later, I read the description posted for this book, and changed my mind. The plot sounded so original, so new and interesting that I knew I HAD to read i...more
hiroyuki
First things first! I don't like the cover for this! It could have been so much better.

This book started out amazingly well. The premise is very interesting and the beginning really pulls you into the story. The main heroine is a very likable girl, something that felt refreshing since I mostly hate female protagonists. The story progresses along very nicely, and the book held my interest for long until the last third were it felt like I was reading a different book. I kept feeling many things m...more
Erin
Book was wonderful. I enjoyed it very much. Very detailed and kept me intrigued. Thank you much for a great story line.
Paige (TheBookVulture)
I received a copy of this book from the Read it and Reap program in the Shut Up & Read group, in exchange for an honest review.

I've gotta be honest, I expected so much more from this book. I mean SO much more. I read the first 100 pages and gave up because it was just so boring. Larkspur heavily focuses on Alexandra building a house on a hill that gets more mentions than the paranormal aspect of her life.

I don't care about the hill. I don't care if it has special meaning to her because of h...more
Rinesh Hegde
Received this ebook as part of Read it and Reap It #14 by Shut Up and Read Book group.

The first page or rather the first chapter ensures that readers don't just keep the book aside but actually read it. The first chapter has the ability to captivate the reader by giving just a gist of the storyline but unfortunately after that it just drags.

The detailing about the house on the mountain makes you wonder what exactly does the author wants us to remember (hopefully it will be used in the 2nd part)...more
Annalise Grey
I got a copy of this book from Shut up & Read to review.

The first couple pages - when Alexandra is in the cistern - I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book. What a beginning! How do you go from there and keep it interesting? But it was interesting - so much so that I didn't really want to put it down. I loved the fact that she gets her own mountain. I want my own mountain with glorious views and an eco-friendly house and a stream and the stones and.... I'm digressing now. I enjoyed i...more
Sannie Hald
Patricia Puddle
I loved this intriguing paranormal and magical fantasy novel. It's about a twenty-two year-old student called Alexandra who falls into a cistern while searching an old, abandoned Higgins farm in Pennsylvania as she searches for one of her ancestor's graves - her great-grandfather, Teater Higgins. While in the cistern, she finds a strange rock that is warm when touched and it seems to help her find a way out. Later in the story, Alexandra makes eye contact with a stranger and it's instant attract...more
Cass
Larkspur is a beautifully written fiction and paranormal novel for all ages; intriguing and full of surprises. The story is contemporary but it seems like the trilogy may go back in history. I certainly related to the young characters and lived and dreamed along with their fantastic adventure. It has an edge but does not get into explicit sex scenes; a safe teenage read I think. The extra sensorial fiction is a nice break from faes and vampires,lol. Waiting for book 2.
E.L.
Okay, the beginning of this started out kind of slow for me but by like chapter 5 I didn't want to put it down! Definetly getting added to my favorites and adding book 2 to my to-reads! H.H. Laura did an amazing amazing job on this one. I am in love with the characters! I teared up at the end when the powers were transfered. Definetly five stars from me! Awesome read!
Rhodora Fitzgerald
I enjoyed this paranormal read very much. The author creates loveable, easy to know characters and spins a thought provoking story that keeps the reader interested in what's to come. It's a wonderful mix of romance and mystery. H.H.Laura wraps the story up neatly, yet leaves you hungry for the next book.
Nay Nay
Fresh, fun and fabulous....a new voice in the paranormal genre and she did not disappoint. Characters you can relate too, a storyline that keeps the reader interest. A wonderful mix of excitement and romance. Prepare to be spellbound, this was a book I could not put down. Read this book, you well enjoy it!
Laura Thomas
With a lovable, compelling heroine and her devilishly handsome partner, H.H. Laura draws you into the magical world of the Sensates. Mysterious twists keep you turning the pages, wanting more. Allow plenty of time when you open this book for you will not be able to put it down.
Des
Hard to tell this is a first time author - well written - moves along quickly. Great characters and if you like the paranormal and believe in the sixth sense that causes goose bumps and "intuition" then this is for you. Can't wait to read book two.
Jayde Scott
I’m a huge fantasy and paranormal romance fan, and was quite excited to get my hands on this one. The cover’s gorgeous, and the blurb promises an intense story. As I started reading, I realized this book’s way more than that.

Alexandra was an ordinary young woman, until she touches something that shouldn’t have been touched. Now, psychic abilities she cannot understand awaken inside her, taking her on a journey that will change her life. With Jediah’s help, she realizes she’s a Sensate, the most...more
Aisha
I got this ebook from the group Shut Up and Read.

Okay, so first I liked the writing and attension to detail. Although the house details confused me, but then again I've never really looked into all the different things with that. The characters themselves were nice and I could clearly see them growing throughout the book. That is good, most books i've read recently have barely to no character development.

Now, some things that I didn't like was the instant attraction to the main male character. I...more
Kila
Kris
This book was pretty interesting. I liked it, more than I thought I would.
I guess this is a bit unrelated, but the cover totally through me off, of course books shouldn't be judged by their cover. But even so, I tend to do so anyway...

Ah this book was so different from what I usually read, I couldn't seem to put it down at all. So I guess I'll start with what I really enjoyed about Larkspur.
The writing style was really good, the vocab. in the story was different, and I ended up learning a few n...more
Jodie
I really had a hard time with this book for the first two thirds at least. I found it to just be skimming the surface of everything.... the characters, the plot, the events. I was intrigued by the idea of sensates and it hinted of good things to come but until the last hundred pages it was almost boring. I really love the idea of this story but the writing is far to shallow to be good. I honestly dont know if I will read the rest of the series, although the last third started to gain my attentio...more
Dragonr
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Jennifer Boyett
Jennifer Boyett marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Raph
Raph marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Larkspur (Sensate Nine Moon Saga)

“You came up this gut-wrenching road yesterday by yourself?" Cassie exclaimed. "You deserve a good cuffing just for driving this goat path on your own."
"It's not so bad once you get used to dodging the ruts."
"You've got some nerve calling these canyons ruts."
"Cassandra Hudson, where is your sense of adventure?"
"I dropped it off going over that last rut-crossing when only two wheels were on the ground."
"Those ones are a bit exhilarating, aren't they?" Alexandra shot Cassie a quick look and wink.
"Keep your eyes on the road!"
"What road?"
"Exactly!”
1 likes
“Okay, what in Hades just happened? Stones don’t glow blue or any other color and they certainly don’t burn circles on you.”

The stone wasn’t talking.

Alexandra considered herself well grounded, yet here she stood, talking to a stone that glowed, burned circles, and refused to answer.

A thread of sensation pricked at the edges of her mind, then grew stronger. It mirrored an idea then became clear.

Tell no one.

What? Looking from side to side, she backed against the wall. Although it felt like someone whispered in her ear, she stood there alone. The day’s trauma must have pushed her over the edge, yet the sensation persisted.

Tell no one.

She froze. Her eyes darted around the room. The muscles in her legs tightened as she prepared to bolt from the room.

Alexandra swallowed and licked her lips. “Who would believe me anyway?” she whispered.”
1 likes