The Golden Ghost

The Golden Ghost (Ghost)

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Delsie knew it wasn't a good idea to dare her best friend Todd to explore the abandoned houses by the old mill. But she couldn't back down after the words slipped out of her mouth. Together the two friends bike to the mill and try the door of each abandoned house. They are all locked . . . except one. Delsie and Todd sneak inside and discover two strange things. Someone is...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published March 22nd 2011)

Dolly
Mar 13, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is one of four colorful Ghost stories written by Marion Dane Bauer. We have now read all four of the stories written so far and our oldest really likes them. They all have a paranormal aspect to the story, but aren't scary and have a heartwarming ending.

This tale involves a young girl who desperately wants a dog, but cannot have one due to her dad's allergies. Across town, in an abandoned housing area near a closed cement mill, a homeless man is finding it difficult to move on, knowing that...more
Kim
This is the perfect book for my youngest daughter who is nine years old. It's a good length (86 pp) that she can read in one sitting and the writing is clear and compelling but more importantly, there's a ghost in it. And not only that, the ghost is a dog! For Elena, who is currently obsessed with The Ghost Whisperer and also with becoming a part time FBI agent, this book has everything. There's a slight air of mystery, a ghostly dog who leads the main character, Delsie, to saving an old, homele...more
Augusta Scattergood
I've missed the previous "Ghost" books by Bauer so this was a new concept, and it works quite well. Just enough spine tingling for the younger end of the recommended age (6-9). 86 pages, with appealing black and white illustrations by Peter Ferguson.

Besides, I'm a sucker for a dog story. Loved this line, as the dog realizes he's aging:
"She didn't know she was sick. She knew only that the rabbits seemed to run faster."
Liz Phipps-Soeiro
I think many 2nd & 3rd graders will enjoy this- but I took issue with the gender stereotyping throughout the book. "Girly" was a word used negatively quite often, without the explicit explanation to the readers why that use is not accurate. The female protagonist never stood up for herself when her male best friend used phrases such as "girly" in a situation in which was scared or scatterbrained.
Josiah
I think most writers would agree that it takes more skill to create a good book the size of The Golden Ghost, only eighty-six plentifully illustrated pages, than it does to write a good four-hundred-page novel. With such a small space in which to work, creating depth to the characters and a storyline that really hits home can be a nearly impossible task, though there are few I would trust it to more readily than the great Marion Dane Bauer. She has shown in the past an extraordinary ability to...more
Books Kids Like
When Delsie and Todd explore the empty mill worker houses, they find one open door. It's evident that someone is camping out there. As the children leave, Delsie feels something soft and silky bump against her. Later, Delsie sees the homeless man walking down the street. There is something following him. It looks like a cloud of fireflies, but, as Delsie looks more closely, she can see a dog. It is the homeless man's dog, but he cannot feel or see her. Delsie falls in love with the ghost dog and...more
Robin
Recommended for very young strong readers.

A quick and pleasant story of two friends, an abandoned house, and longing. Nicely introduces the concept of homelessness in a way that invites conversation.

One thing lowered this from 3 stars to two: The constant harping on "girly" things as bad. This book was written in 2011; it's set in the present. This element of the story had an early-1970s feel and it was jarring. I don't think today's kids need to hear those outdated and hurtful misconceptions in...more
Marcia
Jun 09, 2012 Marcia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 2-4, MCBA
A non-scary ghost story with elements of mystery and spookiness. An abandoned group of houses, a homeless man, and a sparkly "presence"prove irresistible to Delsie and her friend Todd. This is a perfect choice for second and third grade independent readers. As a Massachusetts Children's Book Award Nominee, it provides access to fourth graders, but the content will seem young for older elementary students.
As part of Bauer's ghost series, I liked it.
Kathy Dubrovsky
This was a good read. I was able to finish the book in one sitting and enjoyed it. I had not read the companion books, The Blue Ghost, The Green Ghost and The Red Ghost. Delsie has always wanted a dog but her father is allergic to animals and she can not get a dog of her own. It is the end of the summer before Delsie's fourth grade begins. Delsie dares her friend Todd to explore the old house
Karen Arendt
A moving story about a girl, Delsie, who wants a dog, but her dad joking says he's allergic. She finds a ghost dog in old mill town that is abandoned. Then she finds a homeless man who is living in the ghost town. The ghost dog looks after the homeless man, though he doesn't see her. The homeless man falls and the dog goes to Delsie to get help.
Pam
I liked this story. Yes, the book is short, is for those readers just out of picture books so the characters are not fully developed with pages of details but I still enjoyed the story, it moved along quickly and had a sweet ending. It is perfect for both girls and boys...try it you may like it!
Joann
This is the first of Bauer's "ghost" stories that I have read, and I found it successful. It had a good story, real characters, even some real life issues like homelessness and pets in our lives which were spot on for this young reader age group.
Teresa
Delsie has always wanted a dog but her dad has allergies. While sneaking around an abandoned house with her best friend Todd they discover someone is living there. Delsie also discovers a golden dog that only she can see! 2nd grade and up.
Heather
A sweet but unmemorable tale. Reminded me a little of Ghost Dog, but with a little greater depth. The girl having to prove herself to her friend, a boy, seemed a tad forced, but maybe it'll ring true to some readers.
Susan
I would recommend this one as a read aloud for 3rd/beginning 4th grade. Also for students making the transition from the "Junie B." type chapter books this would be a good step up.
Danika
Cute story, quick read, nice way to get around a parent with a dog allergy... My 3 year old enjoyed listening to it read aloud :) Again, another very easy selection in the MCBA list.
Camille
Bauer writes such wonderful novels for young readers who are just emerging as readers. Very very sweet story about a girl who desperately wants a dog and a ghost dog who needs a home.
Lara
I really like these ghost books, the author has some apt observations about kids and what they're thinking. And dog books? Fuggeddaboudit, of course I was in tears at the end.
Robin
For kids who like ghost stories and animals, this is sure to please. It's short and not all that scary, just a few spooky elements.
Mary Anne
I liked this little chapter book about dogs and ghosts and seeing things other people can't see.
Georgiabk
i did not like it that much it was cand of boring nothing grabed me and made me wont to read more.
Kelly Rae
A not so scary, "scary" story. I wonder what happened to the homeless guy though?
Ellie
Pretty good. Story is coherent and not totally dumb.
Nancy
Good middle reader. Very good writing for this level.
PWRL
May 16, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
A
Sgrefe
Sgrefe marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Marion Dane Bauer is the author of more than eighty books for young people, ranging from novelty and picture books through early readers, both fiction and nonfiction, books on writing, and middle-grade and young-adult novels. She has won numerous awards, including several Minnesota Book Awards, a Jane Addams Peace Association Award for RAIN OF FIRE, an American Library Association Newbery Honor Aw...more
More about Marion Dane Bauer...
Am I Blue?: Coming Out From the Silence On My Honor Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book Runt Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota, New Yeovil, Minnesota 1873 (Dear America Series)