Start by marking “Small Bunny's Blue Blanket” as Want to Read:
Small Bunny's Blue Blanket

Small Bunny's Blue Blanket

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  313 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Small Bunny does everything with Blue Blanket. Blue Blanket helps him paint the best pictures, go the highest on the swings, and read the hardest words. They need each other.

But one day, Small Bunny's mother insists Blue Blanket needs to be washed.

She says Blue Blanket will be as good as new after. But Bunny isn't sure he likes new. Will his friend ever be the same?
Published June 12th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Small Bunny's Blue Blanket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Bunny's Blue Blanket

The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise BrownGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsThe Adventures of Bunny and Jody by Mandy GrayPat the Bunny by Dorothy Kunhardt
Best Picture Books about Rabbits
17th out of 96 books — 22 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Froggy Goes to Bed by Jonathan LondonBoo Hoo Bird by Jeremy TankardThe Very Clumsy Click Beetle by Eric CarleNap-A-Roo by Kristy Kurjan
Preschool-"B"
44th out of 61 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Kayce
I had a security blanket for longer than I'd like to admit, so I can totally relate to Small Bunny's attachment to his blue blanket (especially the aspects of that attachment that border on obsession... haha). A very cute read-aloud.
Kim
Some of the most anxious moments I've had as an adult have been related to my teddy bear. Specifically, they've been related to putting Bear in the wash. I've had him since I was about 18 months old, which means he's approaching the ripe old age of 27 this year. That's a long time in teddy bear years. Bear gets washed once per year, maybe twice if I can bring myself to do it. I sleep using him as my pillow, so I realize that's pretty gross. However, he's 27 years old, and the washer is a violent ...more
Library Quine

A simple tale about a small bunny who does not want to be separated from his blue blanket. The pictures are deceptively simple, yet amply show Bunny's reluctance to hand over the blanket for washing, and his subsequent separation anxiety. The line drawings are a little pale, I wonder how easy they will be to view in a group storytelling? This book would make a lovely early reader as long as the blue text is not a problem.
Sara Sipos
This book is a good book that I would use to start teaching small children independence and understanding. Some small children may have an item that they feel is their "blue blanket" but are unable to bring it to school with them. This book could help teach them that it's ok if you have an item you are attached to and want to be with all the time. I don't think I would use it in a lesson in my classroom, but could put it on the bookshelf and have as a resource if a child was having difficulty be ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
for all those kids (and even adults who remember their blanket) - this one captures the emotion perfectly...I loved when the mother said it would only be 1 minute while the blanket washed and it was really 107 minutes - This would be a good read aloud too.
Chally
The rating is on behalf of my guinea pig Pepper, who enjoyed this book very much indeed.
John
Mar 09, 2012 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Blue Blanket helps Small Bunny swing, paint, read, and play. He's the perfect friend.
Marilyn
Oh the love affair between a little one and their blankie....there is nothing quite like it in our universe. The peace, security and happiness that a blankie can bring cannot be measured by any standards. This adorable little tale extrapolates on this theme and your little one, sitting on your lap right now, or curled up beside you in the bed, with his blankie tucked around him, can attest to the truth expounded in this book.

Small Bunny has a fluffy, blue friend called Blue Blanket. They are bes
Marti
Eh... kind of cute story and illustrations but it didn't really grab me. Mainly pencil drawings w/ a little blue for the blanket, kind of typical story about a child and his blankie (and how it's better dirty rather than washed).

What happens when the best friend that you do everything with suddenly looks and feels (and smells?) different? In this story, Small Bunny whose best friend, Blue Blanket assists him in many endeavors, from reading to painting to sand castle building. But when Small Bun
Kelsey
Small bunny does everything with blue blanket. One day, Mom decides to wash small bunny and blue blanket. Small bunny worries about blue blanket and doesn't like the clean version of blue blanket. He plays with blue blanket until it returns to its original dirty state of perfection. The illustrations feature prominent blues with very minimal use of other colors. Children may identify with the story because they have a security blanket. It could be used to develop print motivation.
Diane
There once was a small bunny who loved his "blue blanket". He did everything with this "blue blanket": it went on the swing with him, rode in his wagon, he painted with it at his side and even had it near him in the sandbox. But a small bunny gets dirty and so does a "blue blanket", so when mom suggests washing the blanket, bunny doesn't like the idea. Mom said it would take (1) minute, but bunny watched and waited and it too (107) minutes to wash and dry. Bunny was not happy -- he missed his bl ...more
Athena
This bunny is a little materialistic! Get it? The blanket is made of material, and the bunny can't stand being away from the blanket? My favorite part (seriously, here) is how the illustrations of Small Bunny so perfectly express the real feelings we littles (wee littles! Get it?) feel for our loveys and plushies.
Russell
A young lagomorph is deeply attached to a blanket, a relatable story for most. (view spoiler)
Heidi
I may not have been a Linus, but I certainly loved my blanket. (It was yellow. With bunnies, actually.) So this story made me smile about Bunny's love for his blanket. And the whole washing part? Fabulous. Pictures are very simple, but I loved them. Especially when bunny was trying to hide under the bed. Must try in storytime. I think the kids could relate and have a laugh or two.

Normally just 3 stars. But the 107 minutes makes it 4.

2/6/13 & 2/7/13: perfect addition for "comfort" theme, thou
Jessica
The story is simple and sweet, but the pictures are what make this awesome. The bunny looks like a marshmallow with a scribble for a tail, yet his every emotion is clear. My toddler laughed and laughed over this book-- something about the bunny is just so delightful!
Arminzerella
Small Bunny is very attached to his blue blanket – they do everything together. When Small Bunny’s mom decides blue blanket needs a (gasp!) bath, Small Bunny is skeptical – he likes blue blanket the way it is. Anxious about blue blanket, Small Bunny watches the entire cleaning and drying process. Blue blanket is not the same afterward, but Small Bunny works hard to restore it to its former (assumed grimy) state. Simple, but elegant drawings of Small Bunny (a white rectangular blob with wonky ear ...more
Habrewer
Small Bunny’s Blue Blanket by Tatyana Feeney
Release Date – June 12, 2012
*A review copy of this book was viewed from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

Small Bunny and his blanket are best friends. He does everything with him, including playing in the sandbox. Blue Bunny gets dirty and mommy gives him a bath but small bunny wants him back just the way he was.

This is a cute book that tells of the friendship of a bunny and his blue blanket. The pages have a “blue” overtone, including the wo
Kristi
Small Bunny takes his blanket everywhere. All his daily activities, painting, reading, playing in the sandbox, are accomplished with blue blanket by his side. But his mother soon says that both Small Bunny and his blue blanket need washing. She reassures him that the blanket will be "as good as new." But Small Bunny doesn't want new, he wants his very well loved blanket. He watches the washing machine, ears and posture slowly drooping, through the 107 minutes it takes for it to be washed. Blue b ...more
Kari Worsham
A small bunny experiences separation anxiety when his favorite blanket has to be washed. Simple text and illustrations express feelings that any small child has probably felt before when it's time to wash a favorite item.
Ariel Cummins
Simple little story about what happens when Small Bunny's best friend and favorite thing ever, blue blanket, has to be washed. Everything turns out just fine! This book would be excellent for any kid who has a favorite blanket or stuffed animal or whatever, and needs some reassurance that it will still be perfect when it comes out of the washer (or gets repaired or patched!).

Mostly white pages feature the small bunny, sketched with pencil, and the collage blanket. They keep the focus on the blan
Angie
"Everything he did, small Bunny did with Blue Blanket."

I too had a blankie when I was a child so I know the attachment and love for something so simple. Awww...my first love how I remember you with fond memories. :)
Sara Grochowski
Small Bunny and Blue Blanket are inseparable, doing everything together... even playing in the sandbox. When Mommy insists that Small Bunny and Blue Blanket both need a bath, Small Bunny doesn't agree. Blue Blanket is perfect and Small Bunny doesn't like change one little bit. Mommy thinks Blue Blanket is good as new; Small Bunny is skeptical. But, after a day of swinging, painting, reading, and playing, Blue Blanket is just as he used to be... Perfect. Minimal text and simple illustrations with ...more
emily
In a simple color palate (black, white, blue and bink), Small Bunny's friendship with Blue Blanket is perfect... until Mommy wants to separate them for Blue Blanket's bath in the washing machine.
Nanci Booher
I used this at storytime for our letter "B" week. Kids liked it, were able to predict things that were going to happen and drew comparisons between other books. So much fun~!
Meg
A short and simple read that little ones will identify with when it's time to clean their favorite toy. Soothing illustrations make this a decent bedtime pick.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Simple story with remarkably attractive illustrations. The use of pattern and single color is rather striking but unfortuantly the story is rather forgettable.
Jenny
This was cute and simple. I think little ones will identify with it best. My 5-year-old was happy about it. I enjoyed the illustrations.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Small Bunny does everything with his blanket. Soon Mommy Bunny things that the Bunny/Blanket duo need baths--both of them. Bunny takes a bath but then is worried when blanket takes a bath in the washing machine. Blanket is different after being hung to dry. But soon Small Bunny is able to take Blanket on adventures again and all is back to normal.

This is another sweet book about a small one's attachment to a blankie. Pair it with Kiki's Blankie and you will have the beginning of a fun blanket st
Marcia
With charming illustrations, this tale of a small bunny's attachment to a blue blanket will make you smile.
Holly
This is something all parents of children with Lovey's have gone through!
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • The Hueys in the New Sweater
  • Perfectly Percy
  • Huff & Puff
  • I Like Old Clothes
Little Owl's Orange Scarf Little Frog's Tadpole Trouble Small Elephant's Bathtime Small Elephant's Bathtime An Rún Mór (SOS, #14)