Small Bunny's Blue Blanket

Small Bunny's Blue Blanket

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  70 reviews

But one day, Small Bunny's mother insists Blue Blanket needs to be washed.

Published June 12th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2012)

The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise BrownThe Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsPat the Bunny by Dorothy KunhardtGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter
Best Picture Books about Rabbits
34th out of 70 books — 10 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Froggy Goes to Bed by Jonathan LondonBoo Hoo Bird by Jeremy TankardThe Very Clumsy Click Beetle by Eric CarleThe Bear Went Over the Mountain by Iza Trapani
Preschool-"B"
39th out of 55 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Kayce
I had a security blanket for longer than I'd like to admit, so I can totally relate to Small Bunny's attachment to his blue blanket (especially the aspects of that attachment that border on obsession... haha). A very cute read-aloud.
Library Quine

A simple tale about a small bunny who does not want to be separated from his blue blanket. The pictures are deceptively simple, yet amply show Bunny's reluctance to hand over the blanket for washing, and his subsequent separation anxiety. The line drawings are a little pale, I wonder how easy they will be to view in a group storytelling? This book would make a lovely early reader as long as the blue text is not a problem.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
for all those kids (and even adults who remember their blanket) - this one captures the emotion perfectly...I loved when the mother said it would only be 1 minute while the blanket washed and it was really 107 minutes - This would be a good read aloud too.
Chally
The rating is on behalf of my guinea pig Pepper, who enjoyed this book very much indeed.
John
Mar 09, 2012 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Blue Blanket helps Small Bunny swing, paint, read, and play. He's the perfect friend.
Marilyn
Oh the love affair between a little one and their blankie....there is nothing quite like it in our universe. The peace, security and happiness that a blankie can bring cannot be measured by any standards. This adorable little tale extrapolates on this theme and your little one, sitting on your lap right now, or curled up beside you in the bed, with his blankie tucked around him, can attest to the truth expounded in this book.

Small Bunny has a fluffy, blue friend called Blue Blanket. They are bes...more
Marti
Eh... kind of cute story and illustrations but it didn't really grab me. Mainly pencil drawings w/ a little blue for the blanket, kind of typical story about a child and his blankie (and how it's better dirty rather than washed).

What happens when the best friend that you do everything with suddenly looks and feels (and smells?) different? In this story, Small Bunny whose best friend, Blue Blanket assists him in many endeavors, from reading to painting to sand castle building. But when Small Bun...more
Diane
There once was a small bunny who loved his "blue blanket". He did everything with this "blue blanket": it went on the swing with him, rode in his wagon, he painted with it at his side and even had it near him in the sandbox. But a small bunny gets dirty and so does a "blue blanket", so when mom suggests washing the blanket, bunny doesn't like the idea. Mom said it would take (1) minute, but bunny watched and waited and it too (107) minutes to wash and dry. Bunny was not happy -- he missed his bl...more
Heidi
I may not have been a Linus, but I certainly loved my blanket. (It was yellow. With bunnies, actually.) So this story made me smile about Bunny's love for his blanket. And the whole washing part? Fabulous. Pictures are very simple, but I loved them. Especially when bunny was trying to hide under the bed. Must try in storytime. I think the kids could relate and have a laugh or two.

Normally just 3 stars. But the 107 minutes makes it 4.

2/6/13 & 2/7/13: perfect addition for "comfort" theme, thou...more
Arminzerella
Small Bunny is very attached to his blue blanket – they do everything together. When Small Bunny’s mom decides blue blanket needs a (gasp!) bath, Small Bunny is skeptical – he likes blue blanket the way it is. Anxious about blue blanket, Small Bunny watches the entire cleaning and drying process. Blue blanket is not the same afterward, but Small Bunny works hard to restore it to its former (assumed grimy) state. Simple, but elegant drawings of Small Bunny (a white rectangular blob with wonky ear...more
Habrewer
Small Bunny’s Blue Blanket by Tatyana Feeney
Release Date – June 12, 2012
*A review copy of this book was viewed from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

Small Bunny and his blanket are best friends. He does everything with him, including playing in the sandbox. Blue Bunny gets dirty and mommy gives him a bath but small bunny wants him back just the way he was.

This is a cute book that tells of the friendship of a bunny and his blue blanket. The pages have a “blue” overtone, including the wo...more
Kristi
Small Bunny takes his blanket everywhere. All his daily activities, painting, reading, playing in the sandbox, are accomplished with blue blanket by his side. But his mother soon says that both Small Bunny and his blue blanket need washing. She reassures him that the blanket will be "as good as new." But Small Bunny doesn't want new, he wants his very well loved blanket. He watches the washing machine, ears and posture slowly drooping, through the 107 minutes it takes for it to be washed. Blue b...more
Ariel Cummins
Simple little story about what happens when Small Bunny's best friend and favorite thing ever, blue blanket, has to be washed. Everything turns out just fine! This book would be excellent for any kid who has a favorite blanket or stuffed animal or whatever, and needs some reassurance that it will still be perfect when it comes out of the washer (or gets repaired or patched!).

Mostly white pages feature the small bunny, sketched with pencil, and the collage blanket. They keep the focus on the blan...more
Angie
"Everything he did, small Bunny did with Blue Blanket."

I too had a blankie when I was a child so I know the attachment and love for something so simple. Awww...my first love how I remember you with fond memories. :)
Sara Grochowski
Small Bunny and Blue Blanket are inseparable, doing everything together... even playing in the sandbox. When Mommy insists that Small Bunny and Blue Blanket both need a bath, Small Bunny doesn't agree. Blue Blanket is perfect and Small Bunny doesn't like change one little bit. Mommy thinks Blue Blanket is good as new; Small Bunny is skeptical. But, after a day of swinging, painting, reading, and playing, Blue Blanket is just as he used to be... Perfect. Minimal text and simple illustrations with...more
emily
In a simple color palate (black, white, blue and bink), Small Bunny's friendship with Blue Blanket is perfect... until Mommy wants to separate them for Blue Blanket's bath in the washing machine.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Small Bunny does everything with his blanket. Soon Mommy Bunny things that the Bunny/Blanket duo need baths--both of them. Bunny takes a bath but then is worried when blanket takes a bath in the washing machine. Blanket is different after being hung to dry. But soon Small Bunny is able to take Blanket on adventures again and all is back to normal.

This is another sweet book about a small one's attachment to a blankie. Pair it with Kiki's Blankie and you will have the beginning of a fun blanket st...more
Marcia
With charming illustrations, this tale of a small bunny's attachment to a blue blanket will make you smile.
Jody
Good for 3+ - they will all identify with a favorite lovey!
Feb 20, 2014 Sarah added it
Stories & Songs: Bedtime/Blankets
The Library Lady
This is very simple and clean--an all blue, black and white palette, right down to the type. The artwork is childlike in its simplicity. "Small Bunny" is a blocky little character and the pictures are basic--a picture of a bedroom shows just the bed, and that's it. No backgrounds.

The story too is basic--the line about his mom saying washing his blanket will take a minute followed by "Actually, it took 107," is funny and very real seeming. Aside from that, nothing new here in a classic "blanket"...more
Nicole
This is a story of adapting to change. Small Bunny thought his blue blanket would be different after time apart in the washer, he realized that things did not have to be different when he played with his blue blanket after it was cleaned. I really liked how the color scheme of the story stayed to shades of blue and white, this emphasizes the blanket and its importance to Small Bunny. As children go through many changes this story can be used as a tool to show that change is not a bad part of lif...more
Erin Chambers
I am definitely buying this book. I love the illustrations in the book and the bold blue letters. The blue blanket is Bunny's best friend; he takes it everywhere he goes and they do everything together. When mom needs to wash it Bunny doesn't want her to because he loves blanket the way it is. Once it is washed and dried Bunny dirties it up again by taking it everywhere and then it is just like it was before; roughed and dirtied up and perfect to him.:)
Kelsey
Age: 1-3 years
Familiar Experience: Blankey

"Small Bunny does everything with Blue Blanket. Blue Blanket helps him paint the best pictures, go the highest on the swings, and read the hardest words. They need each other.

But one day, Small Bunny's mother insists Blue Blanket needs to be washed.

She says Blue Blanket will be as good as new after. But Bunny isn't sure he likes new. Will his friend ever be the same?" (Goodreads feature review).
Robin
One of my sons had a very special blue blanket so this book definitely struck a chord with me. Love the prolific use of white space and this very sweet bunny!
Great Books
Small Bunny and his blue blanket are inseparable until mother says it's time both have a bath. The laundered blanket accompanies Bunny when swinging, painting, reading, and playing. And in no time it is again "perfect." Illustrations with sparse lines and blue color convey the earnest relationship between bunny and blanket. Reviewer 17
Samantha
Bunny LOVES his blue blanket. When his blanket needs to be washed he worries that it will never be the same, but all it takes is a few new adventures to get blue blanket back in perfect condition. Illustrations are simple line drawings with slight highlights of color, mostly blue. Text is blue. This book would be a good read aloud.
Rosa
This story reminded me of Knuffle Bunny b/c of the similar themes I guess and they both have bunnies. Bunny doesn't want to put his blanket in the wash but in it goes, initially it doesn't feel the same but after a while he gets used to it again.
Love the minimalist illustration style that only has blue and white.
Shelli
Small Bunny LOVES his blue blanket. The idea of parting ways with his best buddy, even for a good washing, seems inconceivable. This is a wonderful book to share with any child who has a special blanket or stuffy that they never want to be without. Even if it really really really needs a bath :)
Kristina Lareau
This is such a fantastic little book. The simplicity of the line drawings, the openness of the white space and the boldness of the blue blanket makes for a visual treat. The narration is short and there are not any unnecessary words. Don't overlook this well-crafted picturebook!
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • Red Hat
  • Oh No, George!
  • Duck Sock Hop
  • Rabbit and the Not-So-Big-Bad Wolf
Little Owl's Orange Scarf Little Frog's Tadpole Trouble An Rún Mór (SOS, #14) Where's Murphy?