Start by marking “Future Tense: Jews, Judaism, and Israel in the Twenty-first Century” as Want to Read:
Future Tense: Jews, Judaism, and Israel in the Twenty-first Century

Future Tense: Jews, Judaism, and Israel in the Twenty-first Century

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  5 reviews
We are in danger, says Rabbi Sacks, of forgetting what Judaism’s place is within the global project of humankind. The Jewish people exist for a reason, and it is not for themselves alone. They must recommit themselves to their foundational purpose: to the task of creating a just world in which the divine presence can dwell among us all. Without compromising one iota of Jew ...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Schocken (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Future Tense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Future Tense

Linda Abraham
I rarely read books twice, but i am reading this one for a second time. There is such depth to it and it is so beautifully written. Elegant and eloquent.

I love how Rabbi Sachs integrates the universal and particular elements of Torah, how he lays out an approach requiring both adherence to Torah and involvement in society. He sets a high standard.

I recommend this book to anyone seeking a sophisticated, but demanding, perspective on Torah in our complex world.
Jsavett1
The specifics of Rabbi Sacks's presentation of Judaism as a particularist religion of hope and complexity is, by itself, marvelous. But it is Sacks himself that I'm enamored of most; he is living proof that an orthodox Rabbi can be an open minded, sophisticated thinker. Sacks knows his literature, philosophy, science, and Torah and sees them complimenting each other rather than competing for truth.
Jack Oughton
As a secular chap who's somewhat ignorant about Judaism, I feel like I learnt a lot about the issues in modern Judaism and what it is like to be a Jew today. I'd recommend it to fellow secular people who've not had much exposure to the faith but would like to learn more.
Joshua Stein
Sacks is an incredible writer and his analysis of the form of contemporary rabbinic Judaism is really interesting. My major misgiving is his tendency to generalize and to speak in terms that are not clearly defined.

For those looking for an interesting, accessible approach to understanding rabbinic Judaism, Sacks is an amazing writer and presents wonderful ideas, it's well worth the read. The problem is that it's not really rigorous in its researching, so those with substantial backgrounds might
Marc
I liked his premise, but it could have been said in a short essay...Jews have to stop living in the past and being victims --- and several good thoughts on Jewish identity and anti-semitism. Hate to say this, but really, only worth skimming, in my opinion.
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Sarena
Sarena is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2015
M Blankier
M Blankier marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2015
Tobi
Tobi marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Joe Q.
Joe Q. marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Rachael Rose
Rachael Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Nathan Young
Nathan Young marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Gulzhan Khamit
Gulzhan Khamit marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Danielle Rodnizki
Danielle Rodnizki marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Howard Tune
Howard Tune marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Mattan
Mattan added it
Oct 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jonathan Henry Sacks, Baron Sacks, Kt is the Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth. His Hebrew name is Yaakov Zvi.

As the spiritual head of the United Synagogue, the largest synagogue body in the UK, he is the Chief Rabbi of the mainstream British orthodox synagogues, but not the religious authority for the Federation of Synagogues or the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congre
More about Jonathan Sacks...
The Dignity of Difference: How to Avoid the Clash of Civilizations To Heal a Fractured World: The Ethics of Responsibility The Great Partnership: God, Science and the Search for Meaning A Letter in the Scroll: Understanding Our Jewish Identity and Exploring the Legacy of the World's Oldest Religion Covenant & Conversation: A Weekly Reading of the Jewish Bible, Genesis: The Book of Beginnings