Start by marking “De Piatachka” as Want to Read:

Benjamin Hoff

De Piatachka

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  69,823 Ratings  ·  2,616 Reviews
The Wisdom of Pooh.

Is there such thing as a Western Taoist? Benjamin Hoff says there is, and this Taoist's favorite food is honey. Through brilliant and witty dialogue with the beloved Pooh-bear and his companions, the author of this smash bestseller explains with ease and aplomb that rather than being a distant and mysterious concept, Taoism is as near and practical to us
298 pages
Published 2004 by Amfora (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about De Piatachka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about De Piatachka

Stephanie
“Hello there! Aren’t you Winnie the Pooh? I’m a big fan.”

“Yes I am. How do you know me?” Asked Pooh.

“There have been many books written about you and your friends. The most recent one is about how you are a western Taoist.”

“Oh.”

“A western what?”

“Taoist” I said, “it’s very hard to explain, I’m no expert. In fact the whole book was about the author trying to explain it to you, and you would say “oh.”

“Oh.” Said Pooh.

“From what I understand you are an un-carved block.”

“Oh” said Pooh.

“An un-carved wh
ryan
May 02, 2007 ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone interested in taoism
I was sitting in a coffee shop recently with a young woman who described herself as a Taoist Pagan Pantheist. My first thought was, "what the heck is that?" Luckily what came out of my mouth was slightly more tactful, "describe that for me, I've never met someone who described herself that way" (Translation: what the heck is that!).

After we talked for a while, she recommended I read this book. So here's my synopsis - pretty fascinating book, actually. I'm looking forward to getting together with
Joe
Aug 02, 2008 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because it seemed so charming. The author took the stories and characters of A.A. Milne and juxtaposed them with the Taoist teachings of people such as Lao Tzu.

Pooh as western Taoist starts off interestingly enough but halfway through it I came to the realization that it was making me want to just read the actual Milne, who was frankly probably a genius writer. Those were great books with great characters, each with their own type of intelligence.

Then about two thirds thr
Lyn
Jan 12, 2016 Lyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Part of this rating is my fault.

I don’t know what I expected exactly, choosing a book that helps to explain Taoism through Winnie the Pooh (and explaining Winnie the Pooh through Taoism) but this was not what I wanted.

Benjamin Hoff has striven to explain Eastern philosophy in Western terms by using as a working allegory the beloved characters developed by A.A. Milne. By including Pooh and his friends while he wrote the book and having an ongoing dialogue with the residents of The Hundred Acre Wo
Jon
Find this review at Scott Reads It

Recipe for Tao of Pooh
1. 1 cup of Eastern Chinese philosophy
2. 2 cups of Winnie the Pooh
3. 3/4 quart of wisdom
4. 3 Handfuls of fabulous drawings by Ernest Shepard
5. The key to Happiness
Mix them all together and you have the Tao of Pooh.

The Tao of Pooh is a book that I loved whole heartily. Basically as the title suggest it's a allegorical interpetation of A.A. Milne's characters in the world of Daoism or Taoism. Inside this slender novel you will find some o
Naomi
Oct 13, 2007 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like bears and ancient eastern philosophy
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick read, kept me entertained, and I feel like I actually grasped the general concepts of Taoism. That was accomplishing a lot because sometimes my borderline ADD brain can't focus on religion and philosophy books. It's not like I don't want to know. I do want to know. But it can't be helped what my brain does and does not respond to. Winnie the Pooh and funniness are two things my brain inevitably responds to. So intertwining those things with philosophy i ...more
Macon Kennedy
Mar 17, 2012 Macon Kennedy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Defilement of Pooh

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff is undoubtedly an interesting and alluring book with its method of introducing an Eastern sect of philosophy in a way that even children could understand the authors supposed ingenious way of incorporating the lovable childhood characters of A.A. Milne: Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, and the others. Yet within the first few minutes of reading, I quickly realized that this is absolutely not the jovial bedtime reading to entertain the kids and enlighte
Clint
Aug 30, 2007 Clint rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what to say about this book that won't offend someone. It's like those Simpsons philosphy books, of something some modern professor tries to write to appear both profound and eccentric, living up to that professor image. Oh god books like this make me want to kill myself out of the shame I feel at being from the same planet as these people.
Bonnie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
A copy of The Tao of Pooh was provided to me by Tantor Media for review purposes.

"...the basic Taoism that we are concerned with here is simply a particular way of appreciating, learning from, and working with whatever happens in everyday life. From the Taoist point of view, the natural result of this harmonious way of living is happiness."

There are some things that I've accepted that my brain is just not built to understand. Calculus and Economics are a couple of examples
~ Odette Knappers
What a briljant little book full of life lessons and a course to a happy way of viewing life. Lovely in it's simplicity about such a complex subject as overal happiness. In my top 3 of all-time favorite books!
Riku Sayuj
Aug 02, 2011 Riku Sayuj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wonderful book! Must read for anyone interested in Taoism or even in plain simple living.
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
This is my favorite book to give as a gift. Benjamin Hoff has brought the loved characters from the 100 acre wood & explains principles Taoism in a way that is endearing as well as simplistic.

From the forward:
"What's this you're writing?" asked Pooh, climbing onto the writing table.
"The Tao of Pooh" I replied.
"The how of Pooh? asked Pooh, smudging one of the words I had just written.
"The TAO of Pooh," I replied, poking his paw away with my pencil.
"It seems more like the OW! of Pooh", said
Ben Babcock
It was a Friday; I wasn’t working, I’m a little behind on my read count, so I took this off the stack. It looked short and light enough to finish in an afternoon. This need to achieve things rather than “living in the moment” of simply existing and enjoying the book goes against the principles of Taoism, of course. But I never claimed to be Pooh Bear.

The Tao of Pooh is a short book written before I was born that purports to elucidate certain concepts related to Taoism through the characters and
Weinz
Jan 17, 2008 Weinz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some how when it comes from the guileless mouth of a tender hearted bear happiness and contentment in life seems so simple. Hoff does an amazing job of bringing his readers Eastern philosophy from the point of view of endearing characters that we've all grown up with. Its message of simplicity and peace was like a vacation for the soul. I recommend this one to anyone who needs a break from the every day grime we all have to deal with.

My only grief was the watered down version of the Eastern Rel
Patrick
Sep 10, 2008 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Way that can be spoken of is not the one we tread.

These are Lao-Tse's opening words. The great mistake of course is that we do speak of it, and write of it, and attempt to pontificate upon the nature of all things as though an understanding of the Way entailed an understanding of all things. It is rather that an understanding of the Way encompasses all things. To understand, to judge, to see the faults in one and not the other is a common mistake in the interpretation of various Buddhist an
Linda
Tao dou,tou noun
(in Chinese philosophy) The absolute principle underlying the universe, combining within itself the principles of yin and yang and signifying the way, or code of behavior, that is in harmony with the natural order.

Pooh
Also called Winnie the Pooh or Pooh Bear, was a fictional anthropomorphicteddy bear created by English author A. A. Milne.

The Tao of Pooh
Harmony comes from happiness. Vinegar and honey don't mix. Simplicity begets wisdom. Learning is derived from books. Be sure to
MishyJo
Tried to find my inner Pooh, with my Hunny, Nick. I'm a work in progress, I guess.

Tony
May 02, 2016 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting exercise, matching the musings of Pooh and his associates to the teaching of Taoism.

With a ‘D’.

It’s a gentle exploration and in a manner which invites another reading at some point. I’ve always had an issue (being a teacher n’all that), on the effort to distinguish between knowledge and wisdom, and separation of learning and knowing.

But, there is some real beauty in here around intuitiveness, empty minds and uncarved blocks which all fit rather well with Pooh’s wonderings and wand
Dylan Olson
Jan 21, 2011 Dylan Olson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
(Sorry Tyler)
On premise alone, this book opens with great momentum. In the first 21 pages, Hoff successfully illustrates his idea that A.A. Milne's character, Winnie the Pooh, is a great literary embodiment of the teachings of Lao-tse. Well done. Directing attention to the parallels between Eastern and Western philosophy is not an altogether original idea. Fritjof Capra accomplishes the very same thing with greater skill, detail and poetry in his book, The Tao of Physics. Hoff's arguments are s
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Sono sempre più convinta che la vita vissuta secondo gli insegnamenti taoisti sia quella più felice e meritevole.. Niente mi trasmette tranquillità e 'gioia di vivere' (virgolettiamo, che qui sembra che vada in giro cantando e saltando, lanciando i fiori alla gente e urlando "LA VITA E' BELLA!) come leggere dei precetti taoisti, giuro!
*Prossimo passo: applicare suddetti principi*

Questo libro è semplicemente *adorabile* da una parte e *utile* dall'altra; per la parte dell'adorabilità ci pensa ovv
Caren
Jan 10, 2016 Caren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This is a charming little book. The author is able to seamlessly move from actual Pooh quotes to his own clever Poohisms. (He really seems to know the old bear well.) Through these charming little visits with Pooh and friends, he quietly shows some Taoist principles. It is a method that works very well. I knew nothing about Taoism, but his discussions with the Milne characters make some deep ideas easily understood.
Here is one of Mr. Hoff's "conversations" with Pooh, from pages 98-99 of my 1983
Nick Pageant
Aug 22, 2015 Nick Pageant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enlightening BR with Mishy.

This is a great little book. I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a great introduction to Taoism, there are surely a lot of scholarly books that would be better suited to that purpose, but this book does do a good job at pointing out some of Taoism's goals in a very sweet, Pooish sort of way.
♠shane
I love this book. Taoism is a diffacult concept to wrap your mind around and it couldn't have been made any simpler than it has been in this book. It's got some great stories in it by itself and all of the characters make great examples of the classic personality types you bump in to in everday life. I can't count how many times i've bumped in to an Eore driving home from work or walking down the street. A must read for anyone struggling with the concept of toaism. I'd also recommend The Te Of P ...more
Mare
I found this book on list "Books that will change your life". Short and clear: No.
Laura Leaney
I like this book - mostly because Pooh functions as kind of an anti-hero in it, although technically he's not "anti" anything really - in that he embraces not-doing and not-thinking. But honestly, Pooh does a lot of stuff. He finds the North Pole, he rescues Roo, and all kinds of other things. But, as Benjamin Hoff points out, he is "the most effortless Bear we've ever seen.

"Just how do you do it, Pooh?"
"Do what?" asked Pooh.
"Become so Effortless."
"I don't do much of anything," he said.
"But all
Hákon Gunnarsson
Did you know Winnie the Pooh was into Taoism? I didn't, and I'm pretty sure the author A.A. Milne didn't know either, but sometimes there is more to characters than we first thought. Of course if we want to be really serious, then Benjamin Hoff wrote this element into the character, but I don't think he made any great changes to Winnie's persona to fit it there.

He uses Winnie the Pooh, and the other characters that Milne created to show the basics of Taoism by quoting Taoist texts, talking to th
Bosh
Feb 28, 2009 Bosh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What should be a charming and thoughtful analysis of Pooh Bear through a Taoist lens ends up being a rambling polemic by a bitter man who obviously has a ways to go before he achieves inner peace. While he does use Pooh and company as a jumping off point, Hoff ends up spending much of the book railing against business people, lawyers, academics, and everyone else he deems a "Busy Backson". Even scientists are Busy Backsons, because their discoveries only lead to more questions. Hoff's ideal is a ...more
Beatrice Masaluñga
This book is given to me by my aunt. At first, I thought it's "The Winnie the Pooh" movie/book but this is more of principles of Taoism through "Winnie the Pooh" characters. Maybe I still consider this a book from childhood since I started this book when I was in high school but I wasn't able to finish it because my aunt is rereading this during that time.

Anyways, I had a hard time reading this because I'm not really into books like this. It's basically out of my comfort zone. I find this an oka
Cody Melcher
While the book did a good job of tying the work and characters of A.A. Milne to Taoist philosophy, it ultimately was little more than a child's primer in Taoism. As many have noted, the philosophy was a bit off and much was not exactly carried through. It was a mildly interesting read, which lost my attention several several times (it took months to read because I kept finding excuses to put it down). Still, it was an interesting idea and carried out effectively enough, I just don't know how I f ...more
Shweta Nigam
Jul 22, 2015 Shweta Nigam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was always interested and fascinated about the whole philosophy of Taoism but never got around reading a book. This is my first official introduction to Taoism - rather I should say, a cute and humorous introduction to Taoism. Reading the book intrigued me enough to go deeper down the 'Rabbit' hole.

Overall, I enjoyed how the author used the Winnie The Pooh characters to construct a basic understanding of Taoism. It show ways of approaching life, the examples and felt that it had some great ins
Recreating Simpli...: A Very Timely Read 1 1 Apr 27, 2016 06:51PM
Recreating Simpli...: A Cute Little Book... 1 1 Apr 15, 2016 09:45PM
Recreating Simpli...: Why this book? 1 4 Apr 02, 2016 06:48PM
  • Pooh and the Philosophers: In Which It Is Shown That All of Western Philosophy Is Merely a Preamble to Winnie-the-Pooh
  • The Way of Chuang Tzu
  • The Essential Tao
  • 365 Tao: Daily Meditations
  • Going Home: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers
  • Tao: The Watercourse Way
  • The Tao of Inner Peace
  • The Tao Is Silent
  • The Tao of Daily Life: The Mysteries of the Orient Revealed The Joys of Inner Harmony Found The Path to  Enlightenment Illuminated
  • Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind: Informal Talks on Zen Meditation and Practice
  • Dreaming the Dark: Magic, Sex, and Politics
  • The Dhammapada
  • The Three Pillars of Zen
  • Tao Te Ching
  • Zen Flesh, Zen Bones: A Collection of Zen and Pre-Zen Writings
  • Awakening the Buddha Within: Eight Steps to Enlightenment
Benjamin Hoff is an author based in the United States. The two books he is proud of are The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet. Hoff has an essay online:
http://www.benjaminhoffauthor.com/ This is the only website he has officially endorsed or been involved with.

More about Benjamin Hoff...

“Do you really want to be happy? You can begin by being appreciative of who you are and what you've got.” 540 likes
“Lots of people talk to animals...Not very many listen though...that's the problem.” 235 likes