Crash (Visions, #1)

Crash (Visions #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  4,047 ratings  ·  715 reviews
If what you see is what you get, Jules is in serious trouble. The suspenseful first of three books from the New York Times bestselling author of the Wake trilogy.

Jules lives with her family above their restaurant, which means she smells like pizza most of the time and drives their double-meatball-shaped food truck to school. It’s not a recipe for popularity, but she can ha...more
Published January 8th 2013 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Crash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crash

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
76th out of 1,477 books — 10,213 voters
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiThe Elite by Kiera CassEverbound by Brodi AshtonBoundless by Cynthia Hand
Beautiful Book Covers of 2013
30th out of 561 books — 1,977 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May

This is an exciting paranormal mystery about a girl who sees a horrifying vision of a truck accident and nine body bags lying in the snow. She sets out to discover if the vision could be a reality to come and tries to prevent it from happening. It's full of gripping suspense, mystery and general badassery.

Oops, sorry, that was the book I wanted this to be. Let's try again.

This is a dull story about the forbidden romance between two teens from warring families. Jules' obsession with Sawyer is al...more
Giselle
I'm weary of books sometimes, but more often than not I surprise myself by loving them. So this is why I still gave Crash a try knowing it's written by the same author who wrote one of my least favorite books of all time. It's unfortunate, but this is a sign that me and Ms McMann simply aren't meant to be. I have to learn to move on, regardless of the temptations that may come about.

Jules Jules Jules, you had such potential! You see visions! And there are body bags in your visions! I wanted to...more
Hayden Casey
Pre-Review

Oh my dogs, you guys.

Oh my dogs.

There are no words.

I just can't.

Writing reviews for books like this suck. You try to put how you're feeling into words, but everything you come up with pales like a vampire in comparison to how your heart is feeling.

No. Just no.

I'll explain it like this: when I think of CRASH, I get this feeling in my heart that's like angels lifting me into Heaven or looking into the eyes of my crush for the first time.

I wish CRASH was a person. I wish it so hard. I wou...more
♥Rachel♥

Crash
was a book I was really excited about. I love mystery, suspense and action stories, especially if a little swoony romance is thrown in. Crash was exactly that.

The Demarco’s and Angotti’s have been rivals for years. Each have an Italian Pizza restaurant and competition and old accusations keep the bitter rivalry going. This isn’t good for Jules Demarco because ever since she can remember, she’s been in love with Sawyer Angotti. They were once thick as thieves growing up, having all kinds of...more
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
Is there anything more disappointing then the CRASHING mediocrity of a book that you were genuinely excited about?!

This is the book version of a movie where you see all the good parts in the trailer. The back cover sounds great and then the story is just MEH...

So the basic premise of this book is that Jules is constantly seeing visions of a huge "crash." And one of the victims is the guy she likes, who also happens to be the son of her families "arch nemesis"/rival pizza restaurant owners.

Actua...more
Miss H
I really, really wanted to love this book. I mean, it had a beautiful cover and an interesting blurb. What's not to like about that? Unfortunately, despite its promising premise, the book failed to deliver. Suffice it to say, I was disappointed.

I think the thing that frustrated me the most was that the plot had so much potential. Things started going downhill pretty fast, though. The story started dragging and got rather repetitive. It was the same vision over and over again. There was really no...more

Look at that cover! Simple, beautiful and a bit creepy. I love it! The cover may have lured me in, but it was Lisa McMann’s name that made me scoop it up and plop it in the basket. An author who can sweep me into her story and words with humor, strong likeable characters, swoon worthy boys, and a relaxed, easy flow and tone. She always entertains me from beginning to end.

Crash kicks off a new series and introduces readers to Jules and her family as they struggle, work, and love among the meatba...more
kari
Feb 22, 2013 kari rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, ya
One of the things I enjoy most about Lisa McMann's storytelling is how spare it is. There are no words wasted, no characters who are put in just to waste time, everything connects even if you don't see those connections at first.
This gets a solid 4.5 stars for me because there were just a few small things that bothered me. And I do mean they are very small because this was a really great read.
I'd have liked to get some idea at some point what Jules looked like. Completely leaving out her physica...more
Joy (joyous reads)
Lisa McMann's latest dive into the paranormal geared towards the young adult combines her penchant for mysticism and perception beyond ordinary.

Visions series follows the same formula as her Dream Catcher series - which I absolutely loved. Her characters has some kind of psychic ability that they're able to use for the common good. In here, Jules gets visions of bad things that will happen in the future and it's up to her to try and stop it or warn whoever's directly impacted by the occurrence....more
Aman
Reviewed @ Enticed by Books

McMann won me over with her Wake trilogy, so I had really high hopes for Crash when it came out earlier this year. Unfortunately, I'm the type of person who wouldn't read a book if it doesn't have majority of stellar reviews and I was a little disappointed when that didn't happen with Crash. But since I had already requested Bang and was approved for it later, I had to read this series, and I have to say that I went in expecting the worst, but ended up loving this boo...more
De'Zsa
As much I wanted to like this, I couldn't find myself to. Crash has an entertaining protagonist named Julia (or Jules), which helped me enjoy the story, but I'm left completely unsatisfied with how the book led to the ending (there has to be a word [e.g. climax, resolution, etc] for that sort of situation). There were tons of rambling and reminiscing that had no place in the plot, choppy sentences, and the use of "dog[s]" that made me want to pull my hair out.
EXAMPLE: When I was reading Crash, I
Jaime Arkin
What did I think? What did I think?

Photobucket

First of all, Crash is a new series by Lisa McMann, author of one of my favorite series around (Dream Catcher Series) So it was a given that I was going to be reading this book.

Lisa has an incredible talent at creating wonderful, believable characters that pull you into the story and this book is filled with them.

Jules is awesome. I don't know any other way to explain her. She is funny, witty, sweet and snarky... and I loved her voice in this book. She comes...more
Cass -  Words on Paper
Dec 24, 2011 Cass - Words on Paper marked it as wishlist
Shelves: 2013-release
Okay, that synopsis thing just pulled me in. I'm listening, Lisa.
Mira
Mar 08, 2014 Mira rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebooks, br
I definitely enjoyed this book. I think this was the easiest rating I've had to give and the fastest read. I just couldn't put it down and ended up finishing it at three thirty in the morning. I. Loved. It.

I really liked the feel of the book or the "atmosphere" if you will. The pizzeria. The siblings. There was no one "annoying". Sure, I was mad at some people sometimes but no one annoyed me. Well, maybe (view spoiler)...more
Jen
Wow. This might just be my favorite of Lisa McMann's books. I don't even know how to describe this feeling I'm having. I am super satisfied with the ending and also super excited (and beginning to become impatient) for the next. Great job Lisa! <3

MORE LOVE 1/31/13:

As a bookseller you find many books and authors that you absolutely love. Those are the books that you root for and try to get everyone, even if they aren’t the target audience, to read. They are just that good! When Lisa McMann sta...more
Krystle
I've read many of Lisa McMann's books before and the last few were disappointments to me, so I picked this book up on a whim and had absolutely no expectations for it. And that's how I think you should approach this book because if you come at it thinking it's going to blow you away and astound you the first time you picked up her books then that's not going to happen. Your reading experience will be a lot greater if you just have no feelings about it beforehand.

I must say her writing style in t...more
Natalia Ceitidh
Read more of my reviews at Dazzling Reads

4.75 stars!

Oh. My. Dogs!! This book was awesome! Crash is a thrilling and completely absorbing first installment to a brand new series by New York Times bestselling author Lisa McMann!

The last book I read by Lisa McMann was Gone when it just came out (the last book of the Wake trilogy) which I did enjoy, but unfortunately the ending didn't satisfy. Now, my re-encounter with Miss McMann has definitely been one I will always remember! In fact, this book is...more
Jon
Find this review at Scott Reads It
When I received an ARC of Crash I was really excited to read it because I really enjoy McMann's other books. Many readers have criticized Wake and claimed it was a horrible book but I think it was a really good and original read. Anyway I really like Lisa McMann's writing style in general so it's not much of a surprise that I really enjoyed Crash.

Crash is one of the best and most original Paranormal Romances of the year hands down. Jules keeps seeing visions...more
Sarah (YA Love)
Review originally posted at YA Love

Audio Review:

I chose to read Crash with my ears because reading it traditionally wasn’t holding my attention. I write this first because the audio swayed parts of my enjoyment of this book, but not all of it. Overall Allyson Ryan did a good job narrating the story. Her voice is believable as a teen girl, and I was able to discern most of the other character’s voices. Ryan did a great job expressing the emotions of the characters which really brought the story t...more
Sara (sarabara081)
You can find more of my reviews at Forever 17 Books.

4.5 stars!

Oh my dogs! This book was so much more than I expected! In the tradition of the main character, I decided to present my review to you with a list.

Five reasons why this book is a must read:

1. Jules is a stand-out, awesomely fun character. Even though she was going through something scary, she managed to add a lot of humor and lightness to the situation. Her sarcastic remarks and reactions to everything going on added a whole other dim...more
Meagan
Review first published on Reviewing Wonderland.

5 Reasons Why I Loved This Book:

1.) The MC’s voice was light, funny, and perfect
2.) The story line was fresh and interesting
3.) It also included pieces reminiscent of beloved classics
4.) How could anyone not love this book?
5.) See above for reasons why

LOL. I mean, seriously, this book had me from the get go and never let go. The chapters were short which made me feel like I was whipping through the book at lightning speed…Oh wait, I really was. I ju...more
Kristy
Sort of a modern day, Romeo & Juliette thing going on. Rival pizza place families forbid their kids from being friends. It works for a bit, but when Jules sees a vision harming her families enemies (one cute one in particular), she can't help herself. She has to speak up, no matter how crazy she looks.

Mcmann is one of the best ya authors. Her books are almost always short.... but draw you in like crazy!!

Unputdownable. 5 stars!
Stacee
Fantastic premise and Lisa has crafted another set of awesome characters

Love love love Jules and her siblings. Their dynamic is so much fun to read. Sawyer is complex in that teenage boy way and I absolutely loved him.

Lots of laugh out loud moments, especially with the top 5 lists. The ending made me crazy and I would cut a bitch for the next book.
Angela (:
Review to come!

***

I'm reading this!

***

Am I the last person to know about this book?

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME.

I LOVE LISA MCMANN. LIKE LOVE.

I NEED THIS BOOK.

I love the cover~
Brad
Wow! I really loved this one! There was a dull moment, and Crash was very fast-paced and energetic. Loved it!

Look for my full review soon!
Traci
I read this book in one sitting--it was THAT captivating to me.
re: the ending: HOLY FREAKING SHIT. Are you kidding me?!?!
Page (One Book At A Time)
I've only read Cryer's Cross by McMann, but I have several of her other books on my to read list. I really liked the sound of this one and was willing to try it. It wasn't all that I was hoping for.

I liked Jules at first. She lives in a crazy family that owns a pizza shop. She's in love with the boy who's family own the rival pizza shop. There's a whole lot of background story there that involves stolen recipes, etc. So when the parents discover in junior high that Jules and Sawyer are friends,...more
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
Jules doesn't mind driving the food truck to school most of the time - even with the meatballs on top. Sure, it doesn't increase her popularity but that's not what she cares about. The only thing that really bothers her is being ignored by Sawyer Andretti, her ex-friend and son of her family's greatest rivals. Sawyer's family stole her Grandpa's family recipe and caused him to kill himself. Their success has only damaged her family even more, with her Dad stuck in a crippling depression (althoug...more
KWinks
I loved Cryers Cross, so I expected to love Crash. I did not love it, but it had some things I did really, really like. Just like Jules, our hero, I present what I liked in list:

1. Jules makes lists, and some of them are very funny.
2. I loved Jule's voice.
3. Rowan and Try are great siblings.
4. I liked Jules family situation, and her hoarder father.
5. I thought the ending was pretty satisfying.

What drove me crazy:
1. A lot of repetition.
2. The plot stalls in in the middle of the book.
3. Jules neve...more
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • Shadowlands (Shadowlands, #1)
  • Impostor (Slide, #2)
  • Broken (Broken, #1)
  • The Dead and Buried
  • Doomed
  • Paper Valentine
  • Nobody
  • Then You Were Gone
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Prophecy (The Dragon King Chronicles, #1)
  • Premeditated
  • Pulse (Pulse, #1)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
  • Catherine
  • Hysteria
  • Unremembered (Unremembered, #1)
Lisa McMann lives and writes in the Phoenix area. Her books include the NYT bestselling paranormal WAKE trilogy, CRYER'S CROSS, DEAD TO YOU, and the dystopian fantasy series beginning with THE UNWANTEDS. (Book 5, Unwanteds: ISLAND OF SHIPWRECKS, comes out Feb 3, 2015).

You can find more info at Lisa'a website, lisamcmann.com, interact with her on Facebook or Twitter, or ask questions and find answ...more
More about Lisa McMann...
Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) Fade (Dream Catcher, #2) Gone (Dream Catcher, #3) The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1) Cryer's Cross

6 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“Sawyer turned our friendship off like a faucet, but I can't help it - my faucet of love has a really bad leak.” 4 likes