Start by marking “Birth of an Empire: The Beginning (Xarrok Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Birth of an Empire: The Beginning (Xarrok Series, #1)

Birth of an Empire: The Beginning (Xarrok Series #1)

Kala, a once timid Xenonian slave girl, possesses a unique psionic signature exploited by the military to create a powerful weapon of war. Climbing to the rank of Fleet Commander, the compassionate Kala stirs controversy when she pushes for peace in the chaos of the great war.

A skilled but reckless soldier from the opposing Dentonian fleet, Yatrell struggles to hone his un
Published November 30th 2011 by The Writing Network (first published November 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Birth of an Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Birth of an Empire

Luca Rossi
Dec 12, 2013 Luca Rossi rated it it was amazing
I really liked Birth of an Empire. It's a great space opera book. I read once that women can't write good science fiction. Wow... how wrong! Everybody who reads this book will think exactly the opposite. I felt immediately in love with Kala, the Xenonian slave girl who can transform the psionic abilities in a powerful military weapon. The cynic Yatrell is a complex and great character too. This book is not missing anything: pure sci-fi, feelings, deep thoughts and exquisite erotica. I'm hooked ...more
Sinead MacDughlas
Mar 18, 2012 Sinead MacDughlas rated it really liked it
4 1/2 Stars, Really.
I had the honour of beta reading "Xarrok", prior to publication. As a fan of Sci-fi. and Fantasy fiction, I was looking forward to the beginning of a new series, and I wasn't disappointed.

The story is richly woven and carefully detailed. I was immediately drawn into the story by Kala, the Xenonian slave girl, with rare and powerful psionic abilities. I became her cheerleader as her skills were honed to make her a weapon for the military, and she struggled with her reluctance
Catrina Barton
Dec 05, 2012 Catrina Barton rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying I review the way I critique, honest and blunt. I also refrain from giving away any spoilers.

The Good:
The characters are well fleshed out, and engaging.
The plot is full of unexpected twists and turns, and well thought out.
The world-building is deeper than most books you'll find today. I enjoyed learning about this new, exciting world.

The Bad:
Opening with "She" instead of telling us her name threw me for a loop. I wondered if I'd missed part of the story, and had to re-read
Kiexiza
Aug 06, 2013 Kiexiza rated it it was amazing
Finished reading Birth of an Empire ~ by Catrina Taylor OMG, i pressed through a migraine to finish this book, i just had to find out if Yatrell and Kala made up...only to find out it is a series!!!! UGH... :) i cant wait to read the next volume. This book is the first sci-fi book i've read and i was not disappointed. I LOVE it! The mind and heart are some seriously powerful weapons and in this book they are book used as positive and negative forces... a broken heart can be something to stump ...more
Faye
Jun 25, 2013 Faye rated it it was amazing
I liked "Birth of an Empire: The Beginning" by Catrina Taylor. The characters are very life like. The plot was a little slow in the beginning but picked up after a little while. Once it picked up it was a really good book. It had many twists and turns that made it that much more interesting. I can't wait to read the other books in this series. I would recommend this book for fans of science fiction books.
Carolyn F.
Feb 23, 2016 Carolyn F. marked it as could-not-finish
Anthology - part of Nebula Nights: Love Among The Stars

I just could not get into this book/story at all. I kept thinking as I continued to read that it would get better but it didn't, at least for me.
Nina Santos-Becker
Jul 22, 2013 Nina Santos-Becker rated it it was amazing
Although a slow start, it does build up to a climactic-edge of your seat story line. It begins with a slave girl whose powers are beyond anything she's ever not anyone can imagine and force to make decisions that are unimaginable.
Lissette
Apr 04, 2013 Lissette rated it really liked it
Review coming soon.
Cody Martin
Mar 09, 2013 Cody Martin rated it it was ok
I’m reviewing a sci-fi book by Catrina Taylor. It is the first in the Xarrok series. The book follows Kayla, a girl with psionic powers who begins life as a slave, then joins the military. As she rises through the ranks, she experiences the horrors of war and finds the love of her life.

I wanted to like this book, I really did. The characters, for the most part, are distinct; and the prejudice of having psionic powers (telepathy, pyrokinesis, etc.) is nice. The plot is rich and moves from one thi
Laurel
Feb 06, 2015 Laurel rated it liked it
Al "Tank"
Sep 18, 2015 Al "Tank" rated it liked it
A good yarn hampered by a lack of good editing. The author has a good imagination and can spin a decent story. She obviously cleaned up most of the punctuation errors, but missed some words that just don't belong, the wrong word, and garbled sentences.

Another problem I had was occasional jumps from past tense to present. The book starts with a confrontation between the two major characters, then falls back to the "back story". The author uses present tense for "current" events and past for the b
Stephanie
Apr 17, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was ok
I'm out just shy of 50%. My standard disclaimer: I don't read fast, so if something isn't working for me; too many errors, POV issues, anything, really, that makes reading a chore, I move on.

Pros: sets up an interesting world and story line. I like Kala for the most part. Shortly before I bailed I was feeling she was being to weak under the circumstances.

Cons: Over use of strong words such as Smirked and chuckled.

Hopping POV so much my head spun. Seriously, ouch.

Frequently doesn't hold the prope
Laz the Sailor
Mar 01, 2015 Laz the Sailor rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, rom-lite
I read this as part of a collection. Note that there are no erotic scenes in this story, which is fine.

What happens when you bite off more than you can chew? You choke.

Start off with interstellar factions at war, add some cool psi talents, interesting personalities, and some Romeo/Juliet romance, stir for 300+ pages, and what do you get - the beginning of a confused mess.

For the first 2/3, the world building was pretty good, and there were people with unknown motivations, and it all feels like a
Larry B Gray
Aug 18, 2014 Larry B Gray rated it it was amazing
This is a book for all space opera lovers. Birth of an Empire: The Beginning by Catrina Taylor is an action packed adventure that will keep you glued to its pages. From psionic abilities to heart stopping space battles it has it all.

The author did a great job of developing a storyline that kept me wanting to read more with each page I finished. This is one of those books where you get to the end and can't wait for the next installment in the series. The author gave just enough background to make
Kudakwashe Muzira
Dec 21, 2013 Kudakwashe Muzira rated it it was amazing
More twists than a slinky on a roller coaster

This story surprised me. It started slower, but all scifi does. It picked up fast though, and the ongoing action had me gripped throughout. The characters come alive right from the beginning. All of the cast, main and supporting characters are well defined. And the moment you think you know what’s coming next, this author shows you a whole new twist! There isn’t anything predictable in this book, and if the author carries the same throughout, I’m alre
Carrie Felton
Sep 18, 2014 Carrie Felton rated it it was amazing
How does it get any better than this?

This an amazing start to what will be a fantastic series if it continues! The characters and storyline is all so involved it can be overwhelming but the result is so very much worth it! I can't wait to read the next one!
Eddie Jong
Mar 31, 2014 Eddie Jong rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
Could not get into it

When I started reading this book, Kala fascinated me. I could unfortunately not get into the story at all and gave up pretty close to the beginning.

The flow is jerky and confusing, and not enough detail is given for it to make sense.

Airwreckah
Jul 20, 2016 Airwreckah rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, kindle, boxset
Ugh. Plot aside, the writing is not great. It is stilted and awkward. Sentences are often poorly constructed, ungainly, or gramatically incorrect. It was hard to keep reading; i found myself skimming so much that I gave up. DNF.
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Kenneth Hastings
Kenneth Hastings rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
May 13, 2013
Randy Dyess
Randy Dyess rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Al
Al rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2015
Dave Nielsen
Dave Nielsen rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Krisha Burnett scannapieco
Krisha Burnett scannapieco rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2014
Noetical KinkEbooks
Noetical KinkEbooks rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Doreen Dalesandro
Kindle freebie, 3/1/13
Noetical
Noetical rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2013
Kathie Hess
Kathie Hess rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Kiljorn Prime (Katieran Prime, #4)
  • Operation Hydra (Ontarian Chronicles, # 2)
  • Haven (Tranquilli Bloodline, #1)
  • Strictly Taboo (Trek Mi Q'an, #4.5)
  • Illumination (Cyberevolution, #5)
  • Maia and Rylan (Tales of the Shareem, #1.5)
  • G.A. Aiken Dragon Bundle: The Dragon Who Loved Me, What a Dragon Should Know, Last Dragon Standing & How to Drive a Dragon Crazy
  • Her Empath (Zodiac Cyborgs, #0.5)
  • Beloved Enemy (Gaian Stories #2)
A unique author with a passion for her family, Catrina Taylor is in love with the written word. As an avid reader she finds her mind enjoys the worlds created uniquely in Fantasy, Science Fiction and various crossover genre. As an author, she most often plays in a universe of her own creation.

Introducing us to the imaginary world of Xarrok, she has hooked readers, waiting to see where her imaginat
More about Catrina Taylor...

Xarrok Series (3 books)
  • Birth of an Empire: Consequences (Xarrok Series, #2)
  • Birth of an Empire: Homecoming (Xarrok Series, #3)