Start by marking “The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care” as Want to Read:
The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care

The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Are you ready to stop battling your hair? Win the war against breakage. Forever. The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care combines research with testimony in an authoritative reference text dedicated to the care of black hair- relaxed or natural. This powerful book introduces readers to a comprehensive healthy hair care strategy for achieving ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Black Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Black Hair

Racquel
This was the first time that I've read a book that has more to say scientifically about black hair than "there are more sulfur bonds that create the curl". It goes into all of the details that someone starting a healthy hair journey needs to know. And even if you aren't starting one, it at least clues you in to why many of us have never ending problems with hair (hair never getting past a certain length, dandruff, breakage, etc). I borrowed this from a friend, but I'm definitely going to be purc ...more
Shaunell
For those of you who are natural, transitioning or playing with the idea this is a great book. I especially liked the fact that the author discussed the science of hair in a way that anyone can understand and utilize the information.
PoligirlReads
Wow, if you wanted to move beyond homespun wisdom to actual scientific knowledge about black hair, this is the book for you. Finally, an explanation for why my hair would behave (or not behave) in certain ways. There were times when I cringed because I was guilty of doing x, y, or z to my own tresses.

I liked the product list of "safe" brands for your hair(the list was long enough that it didn't seem like she was getting kickbacks for product placements). I thought her inclusion of interviews wa
Kamali
I really like this book. It was very informative. I had already known a lot of the information covered from my own years spent researching the web, Blogs, hair forums, and you tube. However, it is wonderful to have all this wealth of information on proper black hair care all wrapped up in a neat, little, package for easy reference. She did a wonderful job keeping the tone of the book objective, unbiased and not lording one way of wearing black hair over the other. Just cold hard facts without an ...more
Sbb1  Eco-friendly Functional Art
Very clear concise break down of hair (particularly textured hair), from how it grows and sheds on down to hair care and remedies. On a personal note, I think this is a good book to have if you have textured hair or are a parent or guardian of a child who has textured hair.
Virginia Singleton
I have learned so much about black hair care from reading this book. I highly recommend it.
Maliza Mukungu
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about afro-textured. It was well researched and it caters for people with afro-textured hair both natural and relaxed, both for adults and children. I wish there was more details or a chapter on a regimen build up but I guess that was not the point of this book. It is more of a textbook hence a lot of detail is covered. If one is looking for a way to make one's own regimen or products that information is not in here. Also I am in Africa so ...more
Cheryl
Whether your relaxed or natural, old or young,if your interested in how to care for and understand "black hair" then this is a good book for building a solid foundation. Well written and easy to read.
Shakeidra
I really liked this book. It's extremely informative. I've learned a lot. I'm transitioning from relaxed to natural so it was perfect to me. It like my go to bible for my hair lol. I will say the only bad thing about it was I bought the Kindle format for my Kindle PaperWhite. It was super hard reading the diagrams and understanding. The book is pretty pricey itself also, but I'm sure it would be worth the money.
Lakeaha Burns
I liked this book. I learned alot about my hair and things that I was doing. wrong. to my hair
Kamilah
People wonder why I have fabulous hair... this book right here!
Shanna
I've been natural for over two years. I wish that I would have read this book first. Doing so would have prevented me from making so many mistakes. I learned through trial and error. The book provides so much more information on how to care for textured hair. It's an excellent reference to keep on hand and I highly recommend it whether natural or relaxed.
Rosemary
I already knew quite a lot from reading blogs and watching youtube videos! BUT, this books presents more, presents the facts and gives it to you in such a simple and easy manner! You'd better apply it all! This is a book for life, packed with information that has to be transferred! I have come to love my hair even more now, I know a lot more about it!!
Trish
Black hair is different. Its care should be approached with knowledgeable, loving care to reap the most reward which healthy is hair. This book is awesome. Informative, I have recommended it to family, friend and I intend to refer to my clients. Great resource for consumer and professional alike. Relaxed, Transitioning or Natural.
Aleah
This book has been extremely useful for me.
Monica
This book is very informational regarding how to care for black hair. I especially appreciate the tips and information as a person who is currently transitioning from relaxed hair to natural hair. For anyone that is going natural, doing the big chop or thinking about going natural I would recommend this book.
Mariam
it was really good at explaining black hair and how it is to be maintained
Allme
This is one of the best books I have read in regards to understanding my own hair from a scientific point of view instead of old wives tales.

Every person with Afro hair needs to read this book. It will ensure we never have to use perm or any other chemicals again.
Aubrey
This was so informative and complete. I only wish I had bought the book in paper form, since as an Audiobook I sometimes was missing visuals and the ability to "flag" pages for future reference. I must read for all black people and parents of black children.
Cynthia
Lot's of detailed scientific information about african textured/curly hair. It makes a good starting point and reference for figuring out what hair care products to use and hair care techniques work best for a person's hair type.

c.
Sonia
This book is an excellent informative book. It has helped me a great deal on my natural hair journey.
Jacqueline Cantrell
I learned even more about my natural hair. Great read. i will continue to refer back to this book for help.
Ibukun Akinnawo
Very comprehensive. I will be re-reading this book from time to time!
LadyS
informative. i learned something valuable
Joellie
Joellie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Talia Gee
Talia Gee marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
sharon lewis
sharon lewis marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
  • Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America
  • If You Love It, It Will Grow: A Guide To Healthy, Beautiful Natural Hair
  • Better Than Good Hair: The Curly Girl Guide to Healthy, Gorgeous Natural Hair!
  • Grow It: How to Grow Afro-Textured Hair to Maximum Lengths in the Shortest Time
  • The Little Black Book of Success: Laws of Leadership for Black Women
  • Curly Like Me: How to Grow Your Hair Healthy, Long, and Strong
  • Curly Girl
  • Survive the Unthinkable: The 5 Most Effective Methods and 2 Controversial Truths about Women's Self-Protection
  • Eye Candy: 50 Easy Makeup Looks for Glam Lids and Luscious Lashes
  • Soul Food: The Surprising Story of an American Cuisine, One Plate at a Time
  • The Multi-Orgasmic Couple: Sexual Secrets Every Couple Should Know
  • Raising Adopted Children: Practical Reassuring Advice for Every Adoptive Parent
  • Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Step-by-Step Techniques
  • Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty
  • Afrofuturism: The World of Black Sci-Fi and Fantasy Culture
  • Economics For Dummies
  • Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me: A Unique Guide to Over 35,000 Products, Plus the Latest Skin-Care Research
  • Warren Buffett Invests Like a Girl: And Why You Should, Too
Audrey Davis-Sivasothy is a Houston-based freelance writer and long-time, healthy hair care advocate and enthusiast. A trained Health Scientist, Sivasothy has written extensively on the intricacies of caring for hair at home. Her wildly popular book, The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care, has been featured in The Huffington Post, Essence Magazine, and Hype Hair Mag ...more
More about Audrey Davis-Sivasothy...
The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care Hair Care Rehab: The Ultimate Hair Repair & Reconditioning Manual The Science of Transitioning:: A Complete Guide to Hair Care for Transitioners and New Naturals The Science of Transitioning: A Complete Guide to Hair Care for Transitioners and New Naturals