Start by marking “Dove Isabeau” as Want to Read:
Dove Isabeau

Dove Isabeau

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
After beautiful Dove Isabeau is transformed into a winged dragon by her evil stepmother, her steadfast suitor, Prince Kemp Owain, releases her from the spell. In turn, the Prince has a spell cast upon him from which only Dove Isabeau's love can save him. Watercolor illustrations.
Published March 1st 1997 by Voyager Paperbacks (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Dove Isabeau, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dove Isabeau

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day GeorgeDragon Flight by Jessica Day GeorgeDragon Spear by Jessica Day GeorgeDragonskin Slippers by Jessica Day GeorgeThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
My Favorite Dragons
30th out of 109 books — 9 voters
The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane YolenBriar Rose by Jane YolenGirl in a Cage by Jane YolenSister Light, Sister Dark by Jane YolenWhite Jenna by Jane Yolen
The Best of Jane Yolen
73rd out of 122 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Victoria
Jun 07, 2009 Victoria rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite picture books as a child, and still one of the most breathtaking books I've ever seen.

Illustrated with detailed and captivating drawings on every page, Dove Isabeau tells a classic, haunting fairy tale about a lovely young maiden and her evil, witch stepmother. Having lost her beloved mother, Isabeau only has a white cat for company, while the dark-souled witch wants nothing more than to be rid of her. And so she casts a spell, turning lovely Dove Isabeau into a fearful dragon
Julia Brumfield
Jan 07, 2016 Julia Brumfield rated it it was amazing
I first came across this beautiful book at school when a librarian introduced me to it and have had a problem finding it since. Fortunately I now own a released library copy so I can re-read this as many times as my heart desires.

This is a beautiful fairytale retelling where the story is familiar enough to lull the reader into thinking they know the end and then having a surprise twist to it. There is more than one hero in this tale but which hero do you call the bravest is up to you.

I will a
Robert
Apr 29, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing
The first book I ever fell in love with. Whenever I am in a used book store I check to see if they have a copy since it is now Out of Print.
Rachel
A fairytale in the vein of Snow White, Dove Isabeau is a beautiful noble girl who is admired and loved by all. That is, until her mother dies and father remarries a witch who wants nothing more than to kill her stepdaughter, which she tries to find out by wishing into a glass ball every day. Eventually she traps Dove Isabeau and turns her into a dragon, which the king's son (who has of course always loved her) must defeat but there is a twist to the story.
Lyndsi
Sep 14, 2012 Lyndsi rated it it was amazing
pb 4? Love this book! Perfect for girls who love princess fairy tales but it also teaches them they do not have to be the damsel in distress. The illustrations are wonderful and life like and the story fits them perfectly. I love the soft colors used and hoe nicely everything blends.
Maria
Apr 16, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous words, gorgeous pictures.
This is a fairy tale of a young lady who is quiet and gentle, but loved by a king’s son for the “fire that lay beneath the skin”. When she is turned into a dragon by her wicked stepmother, that fire has no choice but to come to the surface.
Linda
Apr 13, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I enjoy Jane Yolen's writing and her strong female characters. This book begs to be read/told out loud. I would love to hear one of the tellers at the Timpanogos Storytelling festival do this one.
Stan
Mar 10, 2013 Stan rated it liked it
There are too many wicked stepmothers in the world. There are also white cats, good magic, and love that conquers all. I enjoyed this story.
Kiera
Apr 19, 2010 Kiera rated it liked it
Fairy-tale kind of story with gorgeous illustrations. Interesting, but a little morbid at the end when the heroine kills the witch.
Sannah
Nov 25, 2013 Sannah rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this book in years and don't know if I would still love it as much, but as a child I thought it was awesome.
Toshio
Nov 20, 2007 Toshio rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-for-fun
A very nice picture book playing off of the fair maiden/evil witch theme. Used to use this book with some of my ESL students.
Chris
Jun 06, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are to die for, some of the best watercolors EVER. My second daughter is named after the heroin, Isabeau.
Echo
Oct 07, 2011 Echo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I loved this book. The illustrations were beautiful, and the the story was wonderful. It reminded me of the old fairy tales.
Angel
Oct 18, 2008 Angel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone, it's a classic
This is a beautiful fairy tail with amazing water color pictures. Very much a medieval feel to the story.
Timothy
May 12, 2012 Timothy rated it really liked it
A beautifully written fantasy with a fairy tale feel. Accompanied by Lovely color artwork by Dennis Nolan.
Michael Fitzgerald
Oct 10, 2015 Michael Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pictures could have been better, particularly in the faces.
Celsea
Jan 12, 2009 Celsea added it
Shelves: favorites
Fantabulous children's book. About a dragon lady. :)
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Ariel
Ariel rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Ellen Curtis
Ellen Curtis rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Annie
Annie rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Little
Little marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Annabeth
Annabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Angeline
Angeline rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Hero
Hero marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Aïda
  • Imagine a Night
  • The Snow Princess
  • Goddesses: A World of Myth and Magic
  • Snowbound With Betsy
  • You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
  • East of the Sun & West of the Moon
  • Riders of the Pony Express
  • The Great Fairy Tale Disaster
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • Zeely
  • Horace and Morris but mostly Dolores (Horace and Morris and Dolores, #1)
  • O'Sullivan Stew
  • The Island of the Skog
  • Life-Size Zoo: From Tiny Rodents to Gigantic Elephants, An Actual Size Animal Encyclopedia
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Are All the Giants Dead?
  • Just a Dream
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...