Start by marking “Ripe: A Cook in the Orchard” as Want to Read:
Ripe: A Cook in the Orchard

Ripe: A Cook in the Orchard

Britain’s foremost food writer Nigel Slater returns to the garden in this sequel to Tender, his acclaimed and beloved volume on vegetables. With a focus on fruit, Ripe is equal parts cookbook, primer on produce and gardening, and affectionate ode to the inspiration behind the book--Slater’s forty-foot backyard garden in London.

Intimate, delicate prose is interwoven with
Published April 10th 2012 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ripe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ripe

Julie Davis
May 08, 2012 Julie Davis rated it it was amazing
If the book just was published can I still call it a classic?

If I just got it, can I really know it is 5 stars?

Let's just say that I have every confidence in Nigel Slater's Ripe being just as fantastic as Tender (his vegetable garden and cookery book) was last year.

It has the same gorgeous photography in a stunningly produced book. It has Nigel Slater's same quirky honesty. The only difference here is that the focus is on fruit.

As I'm at the beginning, I can't say much more. Except to confide t
Mrs.
Apr 16, 2012 Mrs. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Beautiful, quiet and thoughtful book. The recipes for the most part are very simple, but what is amazing are the diversity of these recipes. Lots of inspiration, fun to read, and accessible for all levels of cooks.
Kimberly Ann
Jan 25, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it
What a wonderful and different cookbook. The book is comprised of recipes which center around fruits & nuts fresh from the garden/orchard, but is not limited to desserts, jams/jellies or condiments. Main & side dishes are included: Post roasted Guinea Fowl w/ figs, Roast duck legs w/ squash & Blackberry/apple sauce, Mint/peach Tabbouleh, Slow roaster pork loin w/ quinces & Marsala, and Black grape focaccia.

Included are: Apples, Apricots , Blackberries, Black Currants, Blueberrie
D
Oct 17, 2014 D rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: home cooks and gardners appreciate of whole foods
an exquisitely produced collection of simple, doable, whole-foods fruit-based recipes, along with the care and harvesting of many types of fruits. the ingredients are easily obtainable, and the technique required is very basic. this cookbook might not be the most challenging or inspirational you've ever come across, but it, quite frankly, LOOKS lovely among my cookbook collection and provides easy suggestions for lovely pairings and treatments on those nights when you just can't figure out what ...more
Meredith
Dec 03, 2014 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, cookery
Many of these fruits are not traditionally used on this side of the pond, but I didn't care. This is a delight just to read. Full of personality, sensual appreciation of food, and practical knowledge. It makes me want to plant fruit trees, stroll amongst them foraging in the afternoon sun, and then tuck into a great meal at a farmhouse table. Someone else can do the dishes.
Jessica
Sep 03, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
As good as Tender, if not better because...it's fruit! So many sweet and savory things - really nice combos. Same fab writing, photos and book production as Tender. Same minor ingredient issues. Highlight so far - Fig and Blackberry Mini-Pies (although there def needs to be a little water for binding in the dough!)
Cherie
A- Interesting book - he looks at recipes for fruits. He has a perspective that you'll be growing these (though he understandinds if not) and gives you growing tips as well as great recipes and interesting anedotes. YUM.
A
Jun 26, 2012 A rated it really liked it
beautifully put together with photographs; informative and interesting; hits both more common and less common fruits; loved reading it cover to cover, bu not sure how much I would actually cook from it
Jennye
May 04, 2014 Jennye rated it liked it
Beautiful, but impractical, which is where I return a cookbook to the library shelf instead of keeping it checked out until the last possible minute and then adding to my "to buy" pile. I didn't even bother trying a single recipe from this one.
Deborah Lonergan
Aug 02, 2015 Deborah Lonergan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Deborah by: Garden's Illustrated book review
Shelves: food
Superb cookbook with beautiful seductive photographs, using fruit from the orchard as a basis for a variety of dishes. The author is English, thus many of the ingredients listed are in British terminology, as are the measurements.
Pnmp44yahoo.com
Mar 11, 2015 Pnmp44yahoo.com rated it really liked it
Basically I wish it was late summer/early fall so I could be making everything in this book with fresh from the market/garden ingredients!
May 10, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
My only "gripe" is that it's a very British-centric book, so some if the fruits are not common in my area. Really, it's more jealousy than gripe. A beautiful book I hope to own soon.

Beth
Apr 19, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it
Beautifully photographed with wonderful, delicious text and intriguing recipes! An absolute must for the author's fans and those with (or thinking of starting) a fruit section in their garden.
Melanie
Jan 26, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it
Good read for wandering--easy to read a section here or there, depending on what fruit you've opened to (or are looking for). Now, if only I could find prunus spinosa here to plant....
Tobi Andrews
Feb 01, 2015 Tobi Andrews rated it it was amazing
Nigel Slater is a writer who likes to cook. This book is as much a dalliance into language as it is an exploration of the flavors, textures and aroma of fruit.
Mercedes
Jul 05, 2014 Mercedes rated it it was amazing
If a cookbook can be like a book of poetry, this is it. Recommended read when you are going through an "uninspired cook" phase.
Brian
Apr 10, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
unbeleivable level of detail
Ruth
Apr 18, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading a book that combined the essence of gardening and nature with food and living. Very inspirational!
Betsy Dion
Sep 08, 2013 Betsy Dion rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Beautiful pictures of the author's orchard and cooking, but not a very practical book. I tried one of the recipes, for a peach and blueberry cobbler, which was yummy.
Manritas
Jan 19, 2014 Manritas rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous reading
Sasha
Feb 18, 2014 Sasha rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. Great recipes. Absolutely LOVELY writing. Cannot wait to get the companion, Tender.
Beka
Apr 10, 2012 Beka rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A large and very informative book on fruits and the ways to cook them.
Donna
Donna rated it did not like it
Jan 01, 2017
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2014
Likom
Likom rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Petra D Cravens
Petra D Cravens rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Darla
Darla rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2013
Khristiey
Khristiey rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Filipreads
Filipreads rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery
  • Japanese Farm Food
  • Joy the Baker Homemade Decadence: Irresistibly Sweet, Salty, Gooey, Sticky, Fluffy, Creamy, Crunchy Treats
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Home Made Winter
  • The Glorious Pasta of Italy
  • Salt, Sugar, Smoke: The Definitive Guide to Conserving
  • Lidia's Commonsense Italian Cooking: 150 Delicious and Simple Recipes Anyone Can Master
  • The Homesick Texan's Family Table: Lone Star Cooking from My Kitchen to Yours
  • Weight Watchers 50th Anniversary Cookbook: 280 Delicious Recipes for Every Meal
  • The Nourished Kitchen: Farm-to-Table Recipes for the Traditional Foods Lifestyle Featuring Bone Broths, Fermented Vegetables, Grass-Fed Meats, Wholesome Fats, Raw Dairy, and Kombuchas
  • Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • The Lee Bros. Charleston Kitchen
  • Baking Chez Moi: Recipes from My Paris Home to Your Home Anywhere
  • Making Artisan Pasta: How to Make a World of Handmade Noodles, Stuffed Pasta, Dumplings, and More
  • Living the Good Long Life: A Practical Guide to Caring for Yourself and Others
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
Nigel Slater is a British food writer, journalist and broadcaster. He has written a column for The Observer Magazine for seventeen years and is the principal writer for the Observer Food Monthly supplement. Prior to this, Slater was food writer for Marie Claire for five years. He also serves as art director for his books.

Although best known for uncomplicated, comfort food recipes presented in earl
More about Nigel Slater...