Ripe: A Cook in the Orchard

Ripe: A Cook in the Orchard

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Britain’s foremost food writer Nigel Slater returns to the garden in this sequel to Tender, his acclaimed and beloved volume on vegetables. With a focus on fruit, Ripe is equal parts cookbook, primer on produce and gardening, and affectionate ode to the inspiration behind the book--Slater’s forty-foot backyard garden in London.

Intimate, delicate prose is interwoven with...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Ten Speed Press

Julie Davis
If the book just was published can I still call it a classic?

If I just got it, can I really know it is 5 stars?

Let's just say that I have every confidence in Nigel Slater's Ripe being just as fantastic as Tender (his vegetable garden and cookery book) was last year.

It has the same gorgeous photography in a stunningly produced book. It has Nigel Slater's same quirky honesty. The only difference here is that the focus is on fruit.

As I'm at the beginning, I can't say much more. Except to confide t...more
Mrs.
Beautiful, quiet and thoughtful book. The recipes for the most part are very simple, but what is amazing are the diversity of these recipes. Lots of inspiration, fun to read, and accessible for all levels of cooks.
Sasha
Absolutely brilliant. Great recipes. Absolutely LOVELY writing. Cannot wait to get the companion, Tender.
Melanie
Good read for wandering--easy to read a section here or there, depending on what fruit you've opened to (or are looking for). Now, if only I could find prunus spinosa here to plant....
Manritas
Gorgeous reading
Jessica
As good as Tender, if not better because...it's fruit! So many sweet and savory things - really nice combos. Same fab writing, photos and book production as Tender. Same minor ingredient issues. Highlight so far - Fig and Blackberry Mini-Pies (although there def needs to be a little water for binding in the dough!)
Cherie
A- Interesting book - he looks at recipes for fruits. He has a perspective that you'll be growing these (though he understandinds if not) and gives you growing tips as well as great recipes and interesting anedotes. YUM.
A
beautifully put together with photographs; informative and interesting; hits both more common and less common fruits; loved reading it cover to cover, bu not sure how much I would actually cook from it
Beth
Beautifully photographed with wonderful, delicious text and intriguing recipes! An absolute must for the author's fans and those with (or thinking of starting) a fruit section in their garden.
My only "gripe" is that it's a very British-centric book, so some if the fruits are not common in my area. Really, it's more jealousy than gripe. A beautiful book I hope to own soon.

Betsy Dion
Beautiful pictures of the author's orchard and cooking, but not a very practical book. I tried one of the recipes, for a peach and blueberry cobbler, which was yummy.
Ruth
Loved reading a book that combined the essence of gardening and nature with food and living. Very inspirational!
Amy Gray
Delicious recipes using seasonal fruit.
Megs
Megs marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
pommito
pommito marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
joyce
joyce marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
vir
vir marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Michelldonato
Michelldonato marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Laney
Laney marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Renée
Renée marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Zoe Browne
Zoe Browne marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nigel Slater is a British food writer, journalist and broadcaster. He has written a column for The Observer Magazine for seventeen years and is the principal writer for the Observer Food Monthly supplement. Prior to this, Slater was food writer for Marie Claire for five years. He also serves as art director for his books.

Although best known for uncomplicated, comfort food recipes presented in earl...more
More about Nigel Slater...
Toast Appetite The Kitchen Diaries: A Year in the Kitchen with Nigel Slater Tender: Volume I: A Cook and His Vegetable Patch Real Fast Food