Deadly Secrets (Dark Kings of Eternity, #1)

Deadly Secrets (Dark Kings of Eternity #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Jamie Dexson is like any twenty year old boy, with the sole exception that he has been living for the past four years as a girl.

Fleeing from a dangerous situation, Jamie and his mother have been on the run, but when his disguise begins to be more trouble then it's worth, can Jamie find the strength to escape from the arms of the predator seeking to make him his?

From a life...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 354 pages
Published January 14th 2012 by Silver Publishing

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
77th out of 602 books — 1,383 voters
Strawberries for Dessert by Marie SextonEdward Unconditionally by Lynn LorenzTouch Me Gently by J.R. LovelessA Matter of Time by Mary CalmesRecipe for Love by Carol Lynne
Gay romance with effeminate hero
37th out of 95 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Lexi Ander
This was such a great surprise.

I was gearing up to hate the people who were making Jamie dress up as a girl because it becomes very clear that it is not his idea. Before I knew it I was sucked into his world and his unique life as it was slowly revealed. The plot kept me guessing, good guys, bad guys, were there any good guys? Who is Jamie? What is Jamie? Is Jamie going to run? I was snared, engaged, and I could not put it down. When I did finished I turned around and started recommending it. I...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*

I put off reading this book for a while because of the 'to be continued' ending. The cover intrigued me so much I just couldn't hold off anymore and I'm glad I finally read it.

Right from the start I was drawn into the story because Jamie was an interesting and intriguing character. I was trying to figure out how this story would go, how it would progress and where it would end up but I could never predict it which is another reason I enjoyed this story. It's so filled with twists and t...more
Cole Riann
Wow, I still don't know what to say and I read this over a week ago. While I found the story pretty fascinating overall and definitely look forward to further installments, I had some pretty significant dislikes. There's no romance here, though apparently there will be in the next book. The problem with that is that for most of the book I was thinking, who the hell is he supposed to even end up with? I didn't like the guy either. In fact, I pretty much didn't like anybody except Jamie and Asa. A...more
LaShonta
Ok, I don't really know what to say about this. I don't even really know how to rate it. The first half of this book was boring as hell. You have no clue what is going on and all the chapters are about his life as a girl in college. It didn't really start to pick up until 78% of the book. I don't want to give to much away but you don't really find out anything until then.

So, if you can handle boring until the book is almost over then I say go for it. Once we find out what is real and what isn't...more
Letti
I was iffy on reading this book I have so many books on my to-read-list that I’ve been wanting to read but something told me to read this first and boy was I surprised... There are so many twist and turns, Wondering who was telling the truth and who you can possibly trust, can your friend be your possible enemy... I was left with my mouth hanging open literally..

This book is so entertaining that I did not care that there was no romance or HEA or whatever the only thing I cared about is when boo...more
Shannon
Holy crap. A book with no sex that I actually couldn't put down. It was fascinating and the end of the book was only the beginning of the real story so now I've got to keep going. Yay! Jaimie is so twinkish and Aiden is so larger than life, I've just go to see what happens next. It's definitely a paranormal book but not the norm and I'm still not quite sure what everyone is. Hopefully I'll get it straight in the next book.
Absynthe
I absolutely loved this book!!! The author has stepped away from the completely formulaic nature of most m/m books and written something really original. The end was a total roller coaster that I didn't see coming. Kudos to the author for surprising me and keeping me on the edge of my seat.

Really fantastic! Can't wait for the next book!
Ayanna
Melodramatic and annoying. It was, however, mildly amusing in a "I can't believe what I'm reading" sort of way (hence, the second star). Not my cup of tea, as it were.
Betryal
So many unexpected twists and turns in the story plot and in all honesty it through me for one heck of a loop. It really goes out of the box and beyond this world in fiction. Literally.

All in all I enjoyed this story even for the whackiness and I know there's a book 2 in the works and I sure can't wait for it.

Little secret? The ending surpasses as a cliff-hanger for me that's left me knocking on the author's door and saying: Hurry it up already!
Ari
At the age of 20 years old, Jamie Dexson have been four years living as a girl,a pretty and popular one. It's not without reasons Jamie tortures himself with the skirts, fake boobs, special designed panties, dye-his-natural-blond-hair-into-brown, and not to mention waxing. Someone, or something out there is hunting his life.

But, his disguise begins to be more trouble when the most popular boy in his school,Aidan Montgomery, pay attention on him. To make it worse, one of his friend, found out who...more
Emd
This is incredibly difficult to rate. I would give it 3.75. My *major* problem with it is that the setting is during college and yet it seems like high school. Not only that, all the characters talk like they're out of an anime/manga. No one says boobies in college (I let this slide after we learn about this character later on which may forgive all her dialog. maybe) or talks about love confessions or lovey dovey. No one in real life is like "omg you're a b cup?!" Come now. Or even the whole "th...more
Sue
I hate giving poor reviews, but this book stirred up some quite strong emotions in me, and so I almost feel I have to. I gave it 2 stars simply because I managed to read it, though 1.5 would have been better.
So, I did finish this, somewhat to my surprise, as it constantly annoyed me. If it were not for the fact that I was listening to it via text-to-speech while ill, and it being too much effort to turn it off and start a new story, I doubt I would have. Also, I'd paid for it, and wanted to eke...more
Maya
Aug 05, 2012 Maya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: hearts
Deadly Secrets by Savannah Hartley
Dark Kings of Eternity, Book 1
5 Stars
Reviewed for www.heartsonfirereviews.com

Let me start off by saying that I haven’t enjoyed a book as much I did this one all year long and considering how much I read, that is a true compliment. I feel like a gushing fan girl trying to figure out what I want to say in my review. Can I just start out with ‘I fucking loved this book’? Well, I am going to. I fucking loved this book. It combines UF, paranormal, magic and alternate...more
Amy C.
I loved this book!! I was so surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I loved the author's style of slowly revealing info as you go along to build the story. And I actually didn't read the summary fully, or I read it a long time ago and didn't remember, so I had no idea this was a paranormal book until about half way in, and I think that made the big reveal all the more powerful. I don't think that the shock of discovering that they're not human wouldn't have made such a big impact if I knew that g...more
Sui Lynn
**spoiler alert** 3.5 rounded up. Okay I'm very undecided about this book. There are things I enjoyed and things that just frustrated me. There were so many things that read like high school and not college level. The school yard bullying and prom comments are all so high school it makes this read like a Young Adult novel turned Adult. Which is fine, it was just a bit disconcerting to feel like sometimes he was talking about his childhood and then maybe it was high school with the same people at...more
Bell
I didn't know if I should read this or not at first, I haven't even read a summary for this book but I gave it a try because I liked the cover and I'm so glad I did.
It's really good and full of unexpected twists and turns. I thought nothing could surprise me, that I know all facts and suddenly something happens and story turns about 180°!
Characters of this book are really well written and enjoyable. What I love is how it's written in first POV, Jamie's thoughts and all monologues were really f...more
Seriously Reviewed
A very original story. I will admit to saying “OMG—354 pages!” upon opening the book. However, by the time I reached the end, I was saying “354 pages weren’t long enough! More!” So this is a series that I will definitely be following.

It starts with Jamie Dexson-who is a boy that has to pretend to be a girl to stay alive-writing in his journal, about the events in his life. We not only learn of what happened in the past from his journal entries, but what’s happening now, as he’s living it. The jo...more
Shawn
First I want to start of by saying that I liked this book. Would I give it 4 stars...no. It was enjoyable,but I can't really say if I'm going to like the end or not...since it was open ended.

(view spoiler)...more
Honey
I feel like I just got out of a car that Vin Diesel was driving at 160 km/h. I feel a little disoriented and queasy, but addicted at the same time. The story was fast. And confusing. Really confusing. Frustrating and original. Very original. It would have been a 5 star read if there had been more romance. I powered through the book's 354 pages in just over 12h because I was hooked (!) and all I got were two miserable little kisses at the very end. There were quite a few moments where things were...more
Saskie-
If not for the last quarter it would get only one star >>"
I disliked Jamie, such an unpleasant person -_-" only yelling on everyone...
always...ugh *shudder*
Cat
I am SO unbelievably pissed with myself for 'listening' to a previous reviewer saying don't wait for the sequel to be released before reading this one. I finished it in one sitting and now I find out that the sequel hasn't even been purchased by the publisher yet and there is no future release date? I am now going to stalk the author's website and make a nuisance of myself to find out about book two because that was a total cliffhanger. Seriously this was a fantastic book but WAIT if you can unt...more
Monica
Lipvixen
I love this!!! It has mystery, supernatural beings,rescue of a great person, action, adventure, deep friendship, destined love and even humor. One of those I actually wish would be made into a movie!

Warning though, there is rape of a good guy with a moron of a father which broke my heart. Glad he found a powerful best friend in the lead character who gives rapist serious scary payback! The ending is also obviously leading up to a sequel.
Kerstin
Omg, what an amazing story!!! I can't wait to read more.
I want to know what happens next between Jamie and Aiden, Ethan and Asa, as well as all the others. Some of the story bordered on a big no-no for me (namely the near rape/ rape scene, but I somehow survived it). Still, it's a fantastic read! I'd give the book more than 5 stars if it were possible.
I want the next book in this series. NOW!
Stephanie Moore
Erticchic378
O.M.G...although I was a bit confused with the story in the beginning, this is going to be one fantabulous series. I love paranormal and love this one even more because it is so different and I couldn't predict where it was going. Great story, great characters, and I cannot wait for the next one...hurry please..no pressure:)
yoksan
Tried the sample ebook.

First person POV isn't normally my cup of tea unless it's executed well. Well enough that it should keep me going past the first few pages. Which is a pity, since I'm curious enough about the plotline that I wanted to read more, but oh, well...

Perhaps I'll pick it up again one day.
Amy
OMG!!! This book realy suprised me, I started it thinking that I would probably hate it, but all I can say is WOW!! I am going to be waiting on the edge of my seat for the sequel and I can only hope that it will be out soon, very soon. And when it says "the begining" at the end, the author means it!
MsMiz (Tina)
3.5 - Fast paced UF story that had more twists than a roller coaster. It ends in a cliff people, just so you know....we have creatures we have yet to figure out and we do not really know who to trust or where they are going - oh hell - the whole story is up in the air!
Mary
An awesome story with a lot of fascinating twists and turns. I was engaged from the beginning with the characters and intriguing plot. I can't wait for the next book in this series, it's definitely going on my auto buy list.
  • Crimson Mate
  • Reclamation (Dominion, #2)
  • Skin (The Ark Trilogy, #1)
  • Kissed by Death (Kissed by an Immortal, #1)
  • Evolution
  • The Last Concubine
  • Dragon Slayer
  • The Pauper Prince (Changing Moon, #1)
  • A Broken Light (Beyond the Night, #1)
  • Apocalypse (Wolfman, #1)
  • Tainted Blood (Tainted, #1)
  • Snowflakes and Embers
  • Soul Magic (Triad, #3)
  • Ghost (Wolf's-own, #1)
  • Dawn of Darkness (Daeva, #1)
  • Samhain's Kiss (Blood, Moon and Sun, #2)
  • Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2)
  • Crucible of Fate (Change of Heart, #4)
Born on the Big Island of Hawaii, Savannah moved to Oregon with her family, where she still lives with her husband and three children. She passes her time with her head in the clouds, her nose in a book or pounding away on her keyboard.
More about Savannah Hartley...
A Christmas to Remember (Eden's Manor #1) Deadly Skies (Dark Kings of Eternity #2)