Start by marking “After (Once, #4)” as Want to Read:
After (Once, #4)

After (Once #4)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,817 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
In the fourth part of Felix's story, continuing his adventures in World War Two, he faces perhaps his greatest challenge - to find hope when he's lost almost everything, including his parents. As Europe goes through the final agonizing stages of the war, Felix struggles to reconcile hatred and healing. He's helped by a new friend, but if he should lose her as well ...
Published July 25th 2012 by Puffin Books Australia (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about After, please sign up.

Lisa Kelly Go to morrisgleitzman.com to order an autographed copy or try the bookdepository.co in the UK I've ordered heaps of books from them great service,…moreGo to morrisgleitzman.com to order an autographed copy or try the bookdepository.co in the UK I've ordered heaps of books from them great service, prices and FREE worldwide delivery (less)

Alex Baugh
Jun 29, 2013 Alex Baugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
After the Nazis took my parents I was scared
After they killed my best friend I was angry
After they ruined my thirteenth birthday I was determined
To get to the forest
To join forces with Gabriek and Yuli
To be a family
To defeat the Nazis after all.

After I finished reading Once, the first story about Felix, 10, a young Jewish boy on the run from the Nazis, I wanted to know more about this brave boy and Zelda, the six year old who became his friend. And so, Morris Gleitzman gave us Then, which did
Emi
Jan 23, 2016 Emi rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian
From the very beginning of the Once series, Morris Gleitzman set out on the extremely difficult task in writing a children's book about the Holocaust. I think back when I first heard about it, I was both skeptical and worried, because it is an incredibly delicate topic and how could one portray it in both an honest and suitable way for kids to read?

As we already know, Gleitzman pulled it off flawlessly, winning countless literary awards and spawning three sequels. This is the final book in the
Claudia
I fell into Felix's storytelling pattern with this one...his wishful thinking, his lovely stories to give himself and his friends hope. His moment of horrifying clarity, and the shift in his heart as each of those moments piles on top of the one before.

His second person 'suppose you...' rambles are important as he tries to make sense of what can have no sense...children fighting, hiding, killing. A land where there is NO safety. Not from the Nazis or the partisans or the Russians. A land where c
Sam
Feb 24, 2013 Sam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another great Felix story narrated on Audiobook by Morris Gleitzman. Felix feels so real to me, he is a character that will stick with you forever and so will his stories. I'd love to see these books made into a movie, I wonder who they would get to play Felix.

We continue Felix's story from the end of the second book "Then", after having spent two years in a hole in a barn Felix ventures out and comes across a group of partisans who are fighting against the Nazi's. He joins this group and so hi
Brenda Kahn
Oh. Oh my. Gutted again. Felix, our naive but resourceful narrator has just turned thirteen, having spent more than a year hiding under the floorboards of Gavriek's barn. He's afraid that Gavriek has been taken by Nazis and sets out to rescue him. Instead, he finds that Gavriek is working with resistance fighters to blow up a railroad. The Germans are losing the war but trying to hunt down resisters. This title in the series is unavailable in the U.S. except as an audio or a Kindle edition and t ...more
Kate
Nov 06, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
For a fleeting moment, in my imagination, I have a horrible vision. The whole of Europe full of kids on their own. Struggling to survive the world’s biggest parent shortage. Trying to find their own way. (129)

While easily a timeless story for all ages, it is the children who dominate the pages of After. Glietzman’s unflinching treatment of the ravages of war through the eyes of a child is moving and courageous, contrasting innocence and darkness. Jews and non-Jews, German and Polish, the Nazis a
Rebecca- Books
Sep 19, 2012 Rebecca- Books rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted here: http://rebecca-books.blogspot.co.uk/2...

**This is the fourth book in the Once series by Morris Gleitzman featuring Once (review), Then (review) and Now (review). However, Gleitzman says, and I agree, that they don't need to read in order to understand the story**

When I finished Now, I thought I was done with Felix's story. I moved on as did Felix and I was safe in the knowledge that Felix turned out just fine and didn't die during the Holocaust.
I think so did Morris Glei
Hannah
Oct 25, 2013 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'After' is a beautiful book that will make you smile and cry. I loved it and recommend it to anyone looking for a quick but thought and feeling provoking read.

At first, I thought that Gleitzman wrote Felix's point of view and sentences as too simple and ignorant for a 13 year old but he did not disappoint because through the book, it is obvious that Felix matures. While this happens, his understanding and knowledge grows. His sentences also become more structured and mature. His character devel
Flynn Adaway
Nov 10, 2012 Flynn Adaway rated it it was amazing
Brodief
Aug 06, 2013 Brodief rated it it was amazing
I decided to read the book "After" by Morris Gleitzman as it is the fourth and final book in the series and I had to finish a great series like this one.

The category on the bingo board that this book fits into is a book written in 2012 or 2013.

The character I found most interesting was Felix because I think that he is a smart thinker, a brave young boy and isn't scared of a new challenge.

My favourite/most interesting quote in the book was " Why?" he says. "Why should I keep a lid on it? My pare
Lynda
Yes...I am aware that this is the fourth book in the series. Yes...I am aware that I read it out of sequence. But I'm glad I did!

Morris Gleitzman's series, in which he has taken the Holocaust as his subject and told its story through the life of a boy, Felix, began with Once, moved through Then, took a leap to Now (which is actually set in the present) and then returned to After.

After draws Felix's story to a conclusion by filling in the space between Then and Now. After is set in 1945, two year
Lori
Feb 19, 2015 Lori rated it it was amazing

The 4th in Morris Gleitzman's Once series, this one chronicles Felix's life the last year of World War 2.

I can't imagine how difficult it is to write a children's book about the Holocaust. It can't be too harsh but then it can't sugarcoat. Gleitzman walks that line like a Wallenda with just the right amount of humour and innocence.

Even after all that Felix has been through he still has not become hardened to the violence that he sees. As much as he feels helpless, he finds ways to do what he has
Rushda
Nov 15, 2012 Rushda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't exactly thrilled when After came out because we'd already had Now. I think there were a lot of unanswered questions between Then and Now but the story flowed better without After being shoved in after the tale had already concluded. It lessened the impact the previous books, especially the ending of After, had once you knew that there was a happy ending waiting in Australia for him.
But I still enjoyed it, though it is probably because of the ever-vibrant characters and heart-warming na
Moira
Oct 05, 2012 Moira rated it really liked it
I LOVE this series - it is powerful, humorous, tragic and funny: all the spectrum of human experience highlighted by the horrific drama of WW2. I admire the way Felix's character develops from the naive child in "Once" but is still totally believable as the same person. The scenes in the camp resonate and will stay with me forever, I feel.

I enjoyed the device of using the one word titles to start each chapter. The device was a novelty but not intrusive, rather it added freshness.

A stunning serie
Nick Smart
Jun 30, 2015 Nick Smart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english-2015
After is one of Morris Gleitzman books, it runs inline with the series Once and Then. After is about a boy called Felix that has been living in a whole hiding from the Nazis for 3 Years While World War II is in full flight. Felix is living in a whole in the barn of Gabriek who is looking after Felix. Gabriek is occasionally Fighting with the Partisans which Felix doesn't know about. The Partisans Are a group of Jewish believers Fighting against the Nazis that are killing a lot of Jewish People.L ...more
Ethan C
The title of the book is called After by Morris Gleitzman. This is the fourth book to this series. The main character is called Felix and the story is set one year before World War II ends. In this book Felix is living with his new Dad called Gabriek. One day group of people showed up at the house and took Gabriek with them. Felix follows them and hides behind a tree and were spying on Gabriek and the group of people. Gabriek and the group of people were shooting at a train. After blowing the tr ...more
Vogel
Oct 05, 2014 Vogel rated it really liked it
Shelves:
What did this text remind of you? Why?

This book really reminds you about how horrible it was for the victims of the holocaust left there to rot and die in the gruesome Nazi concentration camps through out the six years of War. In the book Felix finds the Camp his parents where his Parents were shipped to... only to discover his Father dead and his Mother about to die. It brings out more of the truth and power the effect had on the families and victims killed or barely survived.

What was interest
Shahrun
Jan 03, 2013 Shahrun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this series in order, so having just read NOW, I was quite keen to find out the details of how Felix survived the War. I could have never imagined the pain and struggles he had to go though, to get there. What's worse is that this book isn't pure fiction. The Holocaust really happened. I think the author has done an amazing job to spread awareness to a new audience, because knowledge is (I sincerely hope) the power to stop things like this happening again!
Hannah
May 29, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing

TITLE: After
AUTHOR: Morris Glietzman
PUBLISHED IN: 2011

BOOK DESCRIPTION: The book, After, is the fourth and final book in the Once, Then, Now and After series. I personally think this one was the best. After is about a young Jewish boy called Felix. He used to live in Poland but he really doesn't know where he is after his long, endless journey through the country. In the previous books in the series he loses everything he loves and in this final book, its all about surviving and beating the Nazi
Lthelibrarylover
Aug 22, 2012 Lthelibrarylover rated it liked it
I absolutely loved the first three books in the series but was a bit disappointed with this one. Sure it was still good but after reading the third book I expected something more. Some of the medical sections grossed me out to the point of feeling ill... and this was just words on a page (not images or video)! Glad to know this is the last book of the series so that there is no risk of more disappointment.
Paulinlong
Apr 14, 2014 Paulinlong rated it it was amazing
I had to read the final war sequence of Morris Gleitzman's books about Felix. It now covers so many aspects of the war. It makes you want to weep for Poland and it's people. It has certainly made me want to know more. Because of these books I've found out about Katyn. About Churchill's cynical support of Russia while knowing about the Russian massacre of vast swaths of the military and highly educated people in preparation for annexing Poland after the war. Felix's experiences are remarkable and ...more
The Styling Librarian
After by Morris Gleitzman - What a beautiful, yet more appropriate for middle school, conclusion to this series. It is not a cheery, happy book that has an easy ending. This is a realistic, upsetting end of the Holocaust book full of closure to many character stories.
Miss Wilson
Apr 05, 2015 Miss Wilson rated it liked it
Catherine Vera
Mar 06, 2016 Catherine Vera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 estrellas

Luego de la gran desilusión que tuve con "Ahora" llega esta cuarta entrega que, según mi opinión, es la verdadera continuación de la saga.

Nos ubicamos 2 años después de los hechos con los que termina "Después", con un Félix cada vez más maduro y valiente. A sus 12 años ha tenido que vivir las atrocidades de la guerra, sin embargo en vez de derrumbarse y dejarse vencer, se ha vuelto un niño decidido y luchador.

Esta vez dejamos la vereda de las víctimas y nos trasladamos al mundo de los
Molly
Jul 04, 2015 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am very happy Gleitzman decided to continue this story. I am so very more happy that he managed to continue it on with all the brilliance from before and then some.
I rated this book more than the others for a few reasons:
1. It delivered a very well rounded ending for something that had in a way already ended.
2. The character development was phenomenal for Felix, he changed and grew up still keeping what makes him him, which is brilliant because I hate it when a writer loses site of what the
Linda Mc
Loved it - this is what I was hoping for when "Now" was released. I hope older kids will throw out the vampire crap and embrace this series instead.
Michael
Oct 01, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it

Heart-breaking as usual, yet still a strong affirmation of life and hope - sounds cliche perhaps, but sometimes cliches are valid.
Camryn Ison
Jun 24, 2014 Camryn Ison rated it it was amazing
This book is about Felix an his thirteenth birthday and the Nazis invade. He is s o mad and so frustrated that they had to come and ruin his birthday and destroy their home. He discovers feelings that he has never discovered before and is finding it hard to control them. He and Gabreik go to a group of people that are hiding away from the Nazi's for help. Together the have individual jobs for example Felix is assistant as a doctor. But one day the Nazi's plan an attack and Felix soon realizes he ...more
Chelsea Goodes
Mar 23, 2016 Chelsea Goodes rated it really liked it
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
I ugly cried reading this book. Not quite Code Name Verity levels of ugly crying. More like The Book Thief levels of ugly crying. But it still happened. I cried my way through the last 25 pages of the book without stopping.

Okay, ugly crying dealt with, let's move on to other stuff. TECHNICALLY, this is the fourth book in the series. BUT. It deals with the stuff that happens between Then (set in 1942) and Now (set in ~2002). Not all the stuff. But the stuff that happens to Felix in 1945, just bef
fo you think morris gleitzman should now write felixs parents story? 2 7 Nov 09, 2012 06:47AM
Does anyone know when this was released? 3 9 Oct 08, 2012 08:37AM
  • Ishmael and the Return of the Dugongs
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • Nona & Me
  • The Categorical Universe of Candice Phee
  • How to Catch a Bogle (City of Orphans, #1)
Morris began his writing career as a screenwriter, and wrote his first children's novel in 1985. His brilliantly comic style has endeared him to children and adults alike, and he is now one of Australia's most successful authors, both internationally and at home. He was born in England in 1953 and emigrated to Australia in 1969 so he could escape from school and become a Very Famous Writer.

Before
More about Morris Gleitzman...

Once (5 books)